Re: Dystopic novel

the "absent presence" is a nice critical trope, as in "let's talk about
the absence of women in billy budd," but it is far too easy to let such
tropes lead us way from direct questions and answers as in "women weren't
much found on ship of that type during that period"
so i challenge you to find one figure in 1984 who lives a utopic or even
naive existence.
in the case of bush, there are some very obvious dystopia images in fact
one right out of kafka (or so it seems to me).

                             Paul Jones
   "We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
http://MetaLab.unc.edu/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As SunSITE.unc.edu
  pjones@MetaLab.unc.edu   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071