General questions from a naive mind...

1.  What is a "kernel"?

I'm pretty new to the whole software world, and hopefully one of you can
supply me with a concise definition.

2.  If I came up with a very useful new kind of software, how much more
money would I make if I kept it "proprietary" instead of "free"?

I'm assuming that it's a significant amount, but I'm not sure and would
like to know before we discuss the articles.  It's like this: if I'm
gonna make millions by keeping my software proprietary and only
thousands if I keep it open source, I'd be pretty likely to throw
morality right out the window and take the money, even if it will hurt
future software advancement.  I just want to know how much of a factor
money is in people's decisions to make their software proprietary.