Gates: Nobody's getting rich writing software

Recorded in 1980, Bill Gates has some revealing things to say about the
proprietary software industry (in answer to Harry, but with irony of
course).

             B-K: Would you like to address some comments to a generalized
             public, as, I would say, probably the acknowledged
             leader of the microcomputer software industry?

             BG:Well, as far as the whole rip-off issue, unfortunately, it
             gets... The trade is something totally different than what it
             is. It's simply a matter of... It's not manufacturers trying
             to rip anybody off or anything like that. There's nobody
             getting rich writing software that I know of. There are
             people who would like to stay in business and earn a salary
             writing packages for these low-cost computers, but... And
             every time somebody comes up with a scheme for making
             it difficult to protect, there's a great deal of unhappiness
             expressed on the part of the user, because they want to be
             able to make the duplicate copies.

The whole thing can be found at

http://www.thesync.com/geeks/gates1980.html will allow you to listen to
the historic moment.

                             Paul Jones
   "We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
http://MetaLab.unc.edu/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As SunSITE.unc.edu
  pjones@MetaLab.unc.edu   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071