our mysterious evolving news

http://www.currents.net/newstoday/00/02/11/news12.html
 now reads:

Solaris and Linux Vulnerable To Hack -- An Amendment
By Staff
February 11, 2000

As many readers have pointed out, the February 11, 2000 article titled,
"Solaris and Linux Vulnerable To Hack," posted on our site
(www.computercurrents.com) was in error. Although we are responsible for
any editorial that appears on our site (and yes, we should have
scrutinized this item before we posted it), keep in mind that this was in
fact a "feed" from the Newsbytes service, much like an AP or Reuters feed.
And as such, we don't typically have control over the content.

We naturally contacted Newsbytes about the error, and they pulled the
article from their site, as did we. Computer Currents sincerely regrets
the error.

Based on our own research, we can note that Network Associate's MyCIO.com
service (which was created in response to the recent flurry of Denial of
Service attacks against Yahoo, eBay, and other major Web sites) can scan
Unix-based systems for three DoS agents: TFN, Trinoo, and Stacheldraht.
Since these agents do not currently run on any version of Microsoft
Windows, there is no need to scan Windows servers with this service.

We'd also like to address a few points raised by readers. Computer
Currents is in no way associated with Microsoft. In fact, the Computer
Currents Web server is run on Linux/Apache/PHP. And Computer Currents is
dedicated to accurately reporting on all products, services, and events--
including those related to Linux, Sun, FreeBSD or other *nix products. But
yes, we screwed up in not properly screening this feed. Thanks for
bringing it to our attention, as painful as that was!

                                     Sincerely,

                                     Robert Luhn
                                     Editor-in-Chief

                                     Garth Gillespie