Warren Robinett this Thursday

I've managed to arrange for Warren Robinett to speak with our seminar
about gaming and the internet this thursday.

Wired reports that The number of gamers using Net-enabled consoles such
as Sega's Dreamcast will surpass the number of online PC gamers by the
end of 2002 (citing Datamonitor). So convergence and education will
certainly be a part of his presenation.

Warren Robinett does research in applications of interactive computer
graphics at the Computer Science Department at the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill. Specific areas of interest are
micro-teleoperation, augmented reality, and educational software. At UNC,
he co-invented the nanoManipulator, a virtual-reality interface to a
scanning-probe microscope, which allows a scientist to be virtually
present on the surface of a microscopic sample within the microscope. In
the mid-1980's at NASA Ames Research Center, Robinett designed the
software for the Virtual Environment Workstation, NASA's pioneering
virtual reality project. In 1980, he co-founded of The Learning Company,
now a major publisher of educational software. There he designed Rocky's
Boots , a computer game which taught digital logic design to upper
grade-school children, using an interactive, visual simulation. Rocky's
Boots won Software of the Year awards from three magazines in 1983. In
1978, he designed the Atari video game Adventure, the first graphical
adventure game. Robinett is Associate Editor for the journal Presence

                             Paul Jones
   "We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
http://MetaLab.unc.edu/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As SunSITE.unc.edu
  pjones@MetaLab.unc.edu   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071