MAJOR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS TEAM UP TO LOBBY CONGRESS

MAJOR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS TEAM UP TO LOBBY CONGRESS ON PIRACY
An alliance of some 30 groups and associations have announced
plans to fight piracy on the Internet by creating the Copyright
Assembly, a lobbying group that will "preserve, protect, and
defend the sanctity and concept of copyright from all intruders."
Members of the alliance include the Motion Picture Association of
America (MPAA), the American Association of Advertising
Executives, NASCAR, the National College Athletic Association,
the Recording Industry of America, and the Newspaper Association
of America.  The group announced its intentions in a letter to
Congress, without recommending legislation on the matter of
online copyright protection.  Addressing the issue of Internet TV
broadcasts last week, MPAA President Jack Valenti cautioned
against the hasty implementation of legislation.
(New York Times Online, 22 Feb 2000)

                             Paul Jones
   "We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
http://MetaLab.unc.edu/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As SunSITE.unc.edu
  pjones@MetaLab.unc.edu   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071