Habermass in the Coffee Shop

Jurgen Habermass is a great source for contemporary ideas (read somewhat
PostModernist -- a student of Adorno and a Frankfort School social
critic) whose ideas on discourse, ethics, knowledge domains and democracy
(and pluralism) might extend and widen your own readings or rethinkings of
Newmann (and most eveything else for that matter).

Some have suggested that the ideal Habermassian place of democratic
discourse is the European street cafe or coffee shop (weather depending I
guess). With that in mind, I would like to hold our next class at the
Daily Grind. That is the cafe beside the Pit on the west side of the
Student Stores. We can have a computer there (we have rigged a wireless
ethernet set up for that area), but the plan is for us to reflect on the
ideas that we've covered so far in class and to see if we can relate them
to our readings in Bush, Orwell and Newmann.

So that's tomorrow (Thursday March 8) at 2 in the Daily Grind.

For quick references to Jurgen Habermass see:
http://www.msu.edu/user/robins11/habermas/
http://www.lcl.cmu.edu/CAAE/Home/Forum/meta/background/HaberIntro.html
http://www.phy.nau.edu/~danmac/habcritthy.html

                             Paul Jones
   "We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
http://MetaLab.unc.edu/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As SunSITE.unc.edu
  pjones@MetaLab.unc.edu   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071