how copyright stiffles popular culture

http://www.reasonmag.com/0003/fe.jw.copy.html
from the Libertarian "Reason" magazine. building on the much older article
that James sent us earlier and a recent one that I posted, Jesse Walker,
associate editor of Reason, notices huge problems with copyright and
culture citing buffy, etoy, and star wars in very good and provacative
examples to conclude:

"Americans are not mere passive consumers, dully absorbing images invented
in distant corporate laboratories. We hatch our own ideas and compose our
own stories, drawing on pop culture without absorbing it blindly. We
should look with disfavor on any law that tells us to shut up and get back
on the couch."

Begins to sound like some of what was raised in Peter's presentation
yesterday, doesn't it? And would Neuman agree? Orwell? You?

                             Paul Jones
   "We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
http://MetaLab.unc.edu/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As SunSITE.unc.edu
  pjones@MetaLab.unc.edu   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071