Edition: Final
Date: 02/11/2000
Page: A3
Headline: Schools to get program aimed at violence
Source: From Wire Reports

   RALEIGH -- Gov. Jim Hunt announced Thursday a comprehensive violence
prevention program in the state's public schools that will employ a
toll-free student tip line, a Web site and an awareness campaign.
   The program is called Working Against Violence Everywhere, or WAVE. It
is the result of recommendations from the Governor's Task Force on Youth
Violence and School Safety.
   Pinkerton Services Group, a division of the international security firm
Pinkerton Inc., will staff and operate the toll-free line, (888) 960-9600,
on which any student, parent or school staff member can notify authorities
of school violence concerns.
   Pinkerton and the Raleigh-based Center for the Prevention of School
Violence have developed a contact list of school and law enforcement
personnel in each of the state's school district who can be contacted if
needed because of hot-line tips.

                             Paul Jones
   "We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
http://MetaLab.unc.edu/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As SunSITE.unc.edu
  pjones@MetaLab.unc.edu   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071