Why chix and hi tech don't click

or do they?

ATTRACTING WOMEN TO THE MALE-DOMINATED TECH INDUSTRY

Industry observers are finding that the technology market is controlled
almost entirely by males, and conclude that women should assume a greater
role in the evolution of technology. Women comprise a small percentage of
the entire IT industry workforce and are nearly twice as likely as men to
resign from positions in the high-tech industry. Experts attribute this
phenomenon to feelings of isolation, a lack of respect at the office, and
a slower rate of corporate advancement. Experts also believe that the
lingering notion that females are not as well suited to fields that
involve math or science, as well as the long hours and extensive travel
typical of high-tech positions contribute to the high drop-out rate of
female IT professionals. Several companies, including IBM, Motorola, and
Xerox, have developed initiatives intended to encourage the widespread
entrance of women into the tech industry. The number of female IT
professionals does at least appear to be on the rise. The number of women
IT executives hired increased 60 percent from 1998 to 1999.
(Sun-Sentinel.com 14 April 2000)

                             Paul Jones
   "We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
http://MetaLab.unc.edu/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As SunSITE.unc.edu
  pjones@MetaLab.unc.edu   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071