Re: Clinton outlines new privacy legislation

I agree with James that people are not taking measures to protect their
own privacy.  I think that it takes a particularly bad experience to
change customers' buying and surfing behavior on the net--I think people
think "nothing's happened to me (so far as I know) so far, so why should I
worry?".  Avoidance of the problem is a good way to not worry!  I know
that I do this, but as soon as someone starts stalking me as a result of
getting information about me from the Net or as soon as someone starts
stealing my credit card information and racking up charges on my card, you
can bet I'll be more careful.  I know it's not prudent to think that way,
but...
I also think that the novelness of the web and all the transactions
enabled by it is kind of tricking people into thinking that it is without
risk.  I particularly agree with James when he says that

>innovation far outstrips our capacity to manage it

And what will it take to really force the effort to manage it?

Lisa Potter
School of Information and Library Science