Re: more breaking privacy news (from Wall St Journal via NewsScan)

question: isn't ad-blocking at an ISP level a barrier to free
speech? remember that in the past ten years, commercial speech is
protected speech too.

a little background: in 1996, a chapel hill start up called privnet which
had a product called "internet fastforward." IF basically killed anything
that looked like a banner ad. Not that it ever worked quite right, but
they did get to be an offical plug-in to netscape 2.0 and they were
immediately threatened with suits from various advertizing organizations.
They were immediately thereafter bought by Phil Zimmerman and made
wealthy. IF disappeared completely and so did the suits.

                             Paul Jones
   "We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
http://MetaLab.unc.edu/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As SunSITE.unc.edu
  pjones@MetaLab.unc.edu   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071