the huberis of bill g

http://www.salon.com/tech/col/rose/2000/05/01/breakup/index.html
but should the goobermint be asking instead for microsoft to do what it
claims (falsely it turns out to no one's surprise) it has been doing all
along--opening up all the APIs. Scott R writes:

"But is there any evidence that Linux users want Office? I think what they
want is Office compatibility: If they could be assured that their favorite
Linux applications could read Word and Excel files they probably would
have no use for Word and Excel themselves. In other words, what Linux and
other rival operating systems really need isn't the Office programs, but
access to information about Office, like file formats, that Microsoft
currently holds close to its chest."

                             Paul Jones
   "We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
http://MetaLab.unc.edu/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As SunSITE.unc.edu
  pjones@MetaLab.unc.edu   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071