[sungroup] CDs to die? (UNC in NYTimes)

http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/yr/mo/cyber/articles/02music.html

Students Have Few Qualms About Online Music Piracy
By PAUL HELTZEL

Carl Bauer recently made a CD for his sister with 150 songs on it, chosen
from the extensive collection of '80s classics stored in MP3 files on his
hard drive. For Bauer, a sophomore at the University of North Carolina at
Chapel Hill, CD buying is strictly for people with little computer savvy
or slow modems.

              "With my roommate's CD burner I can make a compilation of
whatever I want to play in my car," Bauer said. "My brother still buys
CDs, but he lives at home with a slow connection."

              Despite record industry efforts to curb the spread of
copyrighted music on the Internet, college students are trading so many
songs encoded in the popular MP3 audio format that university networks are
straining under the traffic. By embracing digital music, the generation
that grew up with the Internet is helping to define the way music and
other content will be distributed online. And free distribution of
copyrighted music, especially over broadband, will likely become more
widespread as it becomes more convenient.

              Ethical barriers are falling along with the technical ones.
Some students argue that commercial CDs are little more than an outdated
delivery system that does not fit into their needs or budgets. Others see
copying music as an ethical breach they can live with.

[more at
http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/yr/mo/cyber/articles/02music.html ]

---
You are currently subscribed to sungroup as: [pjones@metalab.unc.edu]