Re: CDs to die? (UNC in NYTimes)

Lisa asked the following:

> My (perhaps naive) question is what will happen to the music industry if
> musicians (or record companies) are no longer able to make (as
> muich) money?  Will there still be people who want to grow up to be in a
> rock band?

Ideally, if musicians are no longer able to make as much money as they do
now off their music, the music industry will no longer include what we now
know as "Rock Stars."  People will still want to grow up and be in a band,
it's just that they won't do it to become rock stars--they'll do it to
make the music for what it is.

You have two kinds of bands these days:

1. Bands who write music because they genuinely love it

2. Bands who write music to become famous and rich, and let their
producers (who are under orders from the record companies) determine how
the music sounds.

It's the second kind of band that are the ones who make it: hence, their
music tends to suck.  Not that any of this is a great mystery to you all,
but the bands that would get eliminated by the internet would be the first
kind of bands.  But it will never happen.