Open Source Licensing
Open Source Licensing: The Basics, The Benefits, The Buzz
http://www.fossfp.org/images/fossmovement.jpg Paul Jones School of Journalism and Mass Communication School of Information and Library Science ibiblio.org Carolina Innovations Seminar Series Office of Technology Development Thursday November 9, 2006 ~ 5:15 to 6:15 in 014 Sitterson Hall http://ibiblio.org/pjones/wiki
Principles and Freedoms
- GNU Philosophy including the 4 Software Freedoms
- Lawrence Rosen's Five Principles of Open Source Software
- Eben Moglen's dotCommunist Manifesto (Video of the Manifesto) ending with Seven Measures]
What's the Difference?
Apache - doing their own thing but trying to conform
Some Major Players in Licenses and products
- Apache Foundation
- Free Software Foundation
- GNU Project
- Mozilla Foundation
- Open Source Initiative
- OSI approved licenses
- Software Freedom Law Center
- Free and open source software organizations
Your Ever-Evolving Resource - Wikipedia
Problems with the Public Domain
- Peter Jaszi's Growth Rate of the Public Domain
- Tales from the Public Domain: Bound by Law From the Center for the Study of the Public Domain at Duke Law.
Problems and Fixes of Open Source Licenses
- Trademarks unaddressed in many
- Patents not clearly addressed
- Contract vs bare license
- Chain of licensing (provenance)
- Warranty (lacking intentionally of unaddressed)
Creative Commons for non-Software production
- Flickr patent application for "Interestingness"
- Tim O'Reilly praises Interestingness (and readers comment)
- "Amazon Patent Reform Timeline" Biased but excellent example of Web 2.0 graphics used for presenting a story about patents, prior art, and politics.
Useful News Sources