Subject: Re: Java + SWI Prolog in Windows environment

From: Paul Singleton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:31:36 +0100

"Sérgio Roberto P. da Silva" wrote:

> I´d like to know if there is any interface between Java and SWI that works
> in the Windows enviroment (to be straight in Windows NT).
> I´m implementing a frame system in prolog (with the same functionality of
> FRAMEKIT) and I would like to create an  interface for it in Java.

I have a SWI-Prolog-calls-Java interface; should be portable but was developed
and is currently used on Windows NT4.  It's completely dynamic: classes can
be instantiated by name, methods and fields are accessed by name, parameters
are type-checked and converted at every call.  It relies on Java reflection,
caches lotsa method metadata, and there's scope for making it more efficient,
but 

You can build GUIs on-the-fly, and queue events within Java, then your Prolog
code can fetch them (blocking or non-blocking) and handle them.

It really needs more tidying up before I offer it as a SWI-Prolog package, but
I'll see what I can get done today (including writing some documentation :-)

I regards this as the "other half" of Fred Dushin's JPL. and I'm inclined to
rename all my stuff as "JPL" and 'jpl_' etc. and combine them into a single
offering (I stupidly called mine "JSP", being unaware of "Java Server Pages"
:-) but I haven't asked Fred about this...

Paul Singleton