Subject: GLOWBUGS digest 46

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 20:57:18 -0600 (CST)

GLOWBUGS Digest 46

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) xtal radios...
	by Stan Skelton <[email-masked]>

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 09:30:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Stan Skelton <[email-masked]>
To: qrp maillist <[email-masked]>
Cc: glowbugs list <[email-masked]>
Subject: xtal radios...
Message-ID: <Pine.3.89.9512120950.A2342-0100000@sparky>

OK ....to all who expressed an interest in this, I'll post a few
details to both QRP-L and GLOWBUGS...(I hate it when I see a message
that expresses thanx to everyone who responded privately to something
I am interested in, and missed out on)...
 
Subject: XTAL RADIOS...Source "Electronics Handbook" volume XVII, Page
47...."Build A World War II Foxhole Radio"  by Lance Borden, WB5REX
Parts...cardboard toilet paper role (empty, duh)
.......razor blade (blue is best but a rusty steel one is ok, blue ones
are "PAL Super Single Edge" by American Safety Razor Co.
.......one wire coat hanger
.......#22 AWG wire (enough for 100 turns around the TP tube)
.......headphones (high ohm set is best (4000-2000)
.......large safety pin and #2 pencil lead (detector)
.......asst glues, lacquer etc to finish & hold stuff to the base
 
                | Razor/detector
Ant.--O-----O---|<----------O------------> headphones
      |         |                            (hi imped.)
      )
      ) tuner/slider
  coil)----------------O-----------------> headphones 
  100t)                | 
      )                |
      )                gnd
 
The instructions are pretty simple...wind the coil and spray or paint
it with lacquer or something to set it firmly...scrape the paint or 
varnish off the wire hanger and use it as the tuner/slider...spread the
safety pin apart and bend the head to 90 degrees to use it as a base
to screw the pin to the base board, the pin then sticks up to its 2
turns then down to the point where the pencil lead is attached (by
wrapping it with #22 wire) to become the detector which touches the 
razor blade....use sandpaper to remove the varnish from the coil 
wire where it will be touched by the tuner/slider..
 
There is a deluxe set described that uses a battery, a tuning cap, 
a germanium diode etc to "soup it up" but that's not authentic....

------------------------------

End of GLOWBUGS Digest 46
*************************