Subject: GLOWBUGS digest 54

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 1995 11:04:53 -0600 (CST)

GLOWBUGS Digest 54

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Re: GB: Who didn't grow up on tubes?
	by Andy Wallace <[email-masked]>

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 95 12:00:02 EST
From: Andy Wallace <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: GB: Who didn't grow up on tubes?
Message-ID: <9512221700.AA02221@klatu>

----- Begin Included Message -----

From: [email-masked] (michael silva)
Subject: GB: Who didn't grow up on tubes?

I'd like to hear from 
any younger tube fans who discovered tubes 
after they became "obsolete", and find out what the attraction was in 
those cases. 

----- End Included Message -----

Hi, Mike, and everyone. Pardon the late reply. My mailbox is about
1300 messages behind. 

	I got into tubes because I didn't really have the option
of getting a solid-state receiver. My SWLing interest started in
'76 when I was lent my grand-dad's Air Castle table set. I spent
several months enjoying the BBC while watching that green magic
eye on the front. 

	Later, I graduated to a National NC-98. That was fun to use,
and began my love with National style and of course the beautiful
S-meter!

	After that, around 1977, an HRO-50 made its way into the 
bedroom. What a dream receiver.

	So anyway, when you look at what solid-state receivers were
available at that time, nothing really could help a 13-year-old with
a $3 allowance. I think I just grew up assuming all ham rigs used 
tubes. My dad was using his Heath SB-line into the late 1970s.

	As far as the attraction -- it's the same as today. These
are NEAT LOOKING RADIOS. The fact that a lot of them can perform
quite well is a side benefit. The fact that most of them don't cost
an arm and a leg is also nice.

73,
--Andy
[email-masked]

------------------------------

End of GLOWBUGS Digest 54
*************************