Subject: GLOWBUGS digest 60

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 01:59:47 -0600 (CST)

GLOWBUGS Digest 60

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) SP-600-JX-14 Custom (SOLD)
	by robert fowle <[email-masked]>
  2) chokes from other devices
	by [email-masked] (Ralph Hartwell)
  3) FS: Drake Equip.
	by [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 14:33:46 -0500
From: robert fowle <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: SP-600-JX-14 Custom (SOLD)
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

just a note, to say the sp-660-jx-14 custom, has been sold.
thank you and Happy Holidays
Robert Fowle
the HAMMARLUND historian
Ph. 517-789-6721
E-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 22:18:00 GMT
From: [email-masked] (Ralph Hartwell)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: chokes from other devices
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

BR>Here in Toronto I've had a heck of a time finding a surplus choke of
BR>sufficient inductance to make a good choke input p/s filter. My
BR>brother-in-law suggested using other heavy metal devices instead. For
BR>instance, he has a 30w audio output xformer just sitting around. It seems
BR>to us that the primary must have on the order of 10-20 H and dc
BR>resistance is around 200 ohms. Sounds just right, no? Is there a catch?

   Yep, there is!  The choke will be a swinging choke, because being a
transformer, the magnetic path is closed rather than open as in a
regular choke.  If you need a swinging choke, using a transformer will
work just fine.  However - beware of the voltages induced in any of the
transformer windings you don't use!  They must be left open, otherwise
they will reduce the inductance greatly if they are shorted out.

   You can "unswing" the transformer/choke by making a thin hacksaw cut
through both of the outer legs of the iron core so as to place a small
air gap in the magnetic circuit.  This will reduce the inductance of the
choke, but it will not change under varying load currents.  You'll
probably want to shoot some epoxy into the saw cuts to prevent 60 Hz
(Cycles, to you folks as old as I am) mechanical hum from the iron core.

   Ralph  W5JGV

---
 þ QMPro 1.53 þ Programmer:  Red eyed mumbling mammal.  Nocturnal.  Broke

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 23:39:49 -0500
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: FS: Drake Equip.
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Drake 500 Hz CW filter for the C Line.  2nd IF plug in unit.  $52.50 shipped

FR-4 Digital Frequency Display for the Drake R-4/R-4B/R-4C Receivers and the
T-4/T-4X/T-4XB/T-4XC Transmitters. Manufactured by e-tek.  Original Manual.
Excellent condition.  Will also work with TR-4/TR-4C(x) Tranceivers.   $175
Shipped

E-Mail to [email-masked]

Thanks!

Mike, KB9VU

------------------------------

End of GLOWBUGS Digest 60
*************************