Subject: GLOWBUGS digest 69

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 03:02:48 -0600 (CST)

GLOWBUGS Digest 69

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Re: cutting plexiglass
	by "'AB7HI' Stephen Lee" <[email-masked]>
  2) measuring large chokes
	by Bruce Robertson <[email-masked]>
  3) noise silencers
	by [email-masked] (Murray Kelly)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 1996 10:13:50 -0800 (PST)
From: "'AB7HI' Stephen Lee" <[email-masked]>
To: Steve Ellington <[email-masked]>
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: cutting plexiglass
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

I have successfully cut plexiglass using a radial arm saw with
a carbide blade.  I made several passes on 1/4" thick plexiglass.

For drilling holes in plexiglass one must use a forstner (sp?) bit.
This cuts the outside diameter of the hole before the center.  Helps
prevent cracking the plexiglass.  

If you want to get real fancy, put your markings on the face of 
the smoked plexiglass then cover that with a thin clear piece of 
plexiglass. 

Good luck with your project!!!
Stephen Lee, AB7HI
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 1996 14:17:40 -0500 (EST)
From: Bruce Robertson <[email-masked]>
To: glowbugs <[email-masked]>
Subject: measuring large chokes
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Any tips on how to measure the inductance of a choke in the 2-20 H range 
with"material you might find around your home"? My multimeter only 
measures dc amps, otherwise I was thinking of using a current-limiting 
resistor and hooking the thing up to the 117v line. Could I use some sort 
of resistive bridge?

73, VE3UWL

Bruce G. Robertson  Dept. of Classics, U. of T.     

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 06 Jan 96 12:42:47 AES
From: [email-masked] (Murray Kelly)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: noise silencers
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Remind me. What separates the Lamb circuit from present day noise
blankers? I know I read about it 20 years ago when Electronics
Australia was presenting its series of home brew receivers - they
used fets - but my memory only tells me it was a noise amplifier
driving a gate which was forward of the detector. I think!

I will say no more, as I'm bound to say something I will regret if I
do!! 

Cheers.

Murray Kelly. vk4aok.

------------------------------

End of GLOWBUGS Digest 69
*************************