Subject: GLOWBUGS digest 97

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 10:34:56 -0600 (CST)

GLOWBUGS Digest 97

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Free 6L6 160M Xmitter Plans
	by [email-masked] (Michael Burke)
  2) 6L6, 807 turn 60
	by [email-masked] (Jerry Flanders)
  3) RE: R-390A/URR for sale.
	by [email-masked] (Wilkowski,Joe)
  4) WTB-Instrutograph Tapes
	by Kim Herron <[email-masked]>

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 96 11:47:22 EST
From: [email-masked] (Michael Burke)
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Free 6L6 160M Xmitter Plans
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

I seem to remember someone recently posting a request for a schematic for
a 6L6 xmitter.  While perusing the July 1938 issue of Radio News this
weekend, I came across an article with a design for a nice 6L6 MOPA 160M
xmitter with choke-coupled plate modulation.  The article includes coil
winding info.  The tube lineup is (3) 6L6, (1) 6F5, (1) 6C5, and (1) 83.
I'll gladly send a photocopy to anyone who sends a SASE (32 cents should
do it).

P.S. Thanks to Mike, KK6GM for the reminder that this is the 60th anniversaary
of the 6L6 and the 807.

P.P.S. Post me at the Westminster address.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%
%  Michael A. Burke              Siemens Medical Systems
%  Synetics Consultants          Electromedical Group
%  PO Box 439, 11 Scenic Dr      16 Electronics Avenue
%  Westminster, MA 01473         Danvers, MA 01923
%  508-874-0908	(evening)        508-750-7500 x7147 (daytime)
%
%  [email-masked]                [email-masked]
%
%  With apologies to Will Rogers,
%  "I never met a vacuum tube I didn't like" (well, almost never).
%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Feb 1996 13:10:08 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Jerry Flanders)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 6L6, 807 turn 60
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

>For all you tube trivia bufs, this year is the 60th anniversary of two 
>of amateur radio's Grand Old Tubes, the 6L6 and the 807.  What would we 
>Novices have done without them? :)

>73,
>Mike, KK6GM
===================================================================
My first transmitter (IN 1951) used exactly that tube lineup. It was a
Millen 90800 (I think that was the number). 

ARRL handbook back in late thirties had the design for it and MILLEN appears
to have copied the ARRL design exactly (even the mechanical details). I had
a full set of coils for it. Open construction. This was long before TV came
to my area.

Even got a QSL from the FCC one time when I made the mistake of using a
crystal whose 2nd/3rd harmonic was outside the next higher band (learned to
always calculate harmonic frequencies after that - heh heh! - Oh, and tune
carefully, too...)

Jerry Flanders    W4UKU   [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 17:18:39 PST
From: [email-masked] (Wilkowski,Joe)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: R-390A/URR for sale.
Message-ID: <"<2C86163181B7677C>[email-masked]"@-SMF->

If you still have this, and it is as good as you say, I will take it 
 plus the UPS ground. Please let me know .  tnx...

/joe k8fc
315-926-4080
----------
From: [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: R-390A/URR for sale.
Date: Sunday, February 04, 1996 1:07PM

Many think this R-390A/URR is the best all-around receiver ever made. This
one is a late model (one of the last production runs), made by EAC.
It is big, heavy, uses tubes. Quality look, feel, and performance.  110 or
220 VAC. Even has ovens for oscillator stability.

Upper tuning limit 31.999 MHz

Has 6 IF selectivity filters ( 0.1, 1, 2, 4, 8  and 16 KHz).

Also 2 audio filter positions (Wide and Narrow).

2 meters (Line Level, Carrier Level).

Total of 17 knobs (Line Meter sw, Line Gain ctl, Ant Trim ctl, AGC sw,
Limiter ctl, Audio Response sw, Break-In sw, Bandwidth sw, BFO Pitch ctl,
Function sw, BFO sw, Dial Lock ctl, Zero Adj ctl, Local Gain ctl, RF Gain
ctl, Megacycle Change ctl, Kilocycle Change ctl)

Rack mount style (no cabinet, but has all covers). 19 in wide, 10.5 high,
about 15 deep.

No speaker. No manual (Fair radio sales has manual).

It is unusually clean, near-new  appearance. I can furnish photos with SASE
- ask. 

$300 plus UPS if shipped.

Jerry Flanders                    W4UKU        [email-masked]
1767 Gregory Lake Road
North Augusta, SC  29841

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 21:26:13 -0500 (EST)
From: Kim Herron <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: WTB-Instrutograph Tapes
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Hi Gang,

    Would any of you know where I can purchase, or do any of you have that
you're willing to  get rid of, the paper tapes that are used on the
Instructograph machines.  I thought  that I saw somewhere that they were
still available [surprise].  Anybody got any ideas

Thanks,

KIM

------------------------------

End of GLOWBUGS Digest 97
*************************