Subject: GLOWBUGS digest 102

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 10:36:02 -0600 (CST)

GLOWBUGS Digest 102

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Old Test Equipment FS
	by [email-masked] (Jerry Flanders)
  2) Re:  Old Test Equipment FS
	by [email-masked] (William Hawkins)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 17:34:58 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Jerry Flanders)
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Old Test Equipment FS
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

The recent threads on the BoatAnchor reflector concerning capacitor leakage
and failures reminded me of a test device I picked up a few years ago.
I looked around the shack and found it and a couple of other items that
someone might want. I will put them up for sale here and see if anybody
would like to make an offer.
======================ITEM 1:=====================================

TEST SET   INSULATION BREAKDOWN   CAPACITATIVE LEAKAGE COMPENSATION
117VAC 60 CYCLE    BENDIX

It is rack-panel construction, inside a rack cabinet. Has two 4 inch meters,
one to measure applied voltage (scales 750 and 2250 VAC), and another "meter
relay" one to display leakage current and shut down the applied voltage when
leakage reaches the trip value you have set (0 to 5 MA).  

You increase voltage slowly from zero with the internal "variac", watching
either it's 750 VAC or it's 2250 VAC scale. A current-limited voltage is
applied at the test terminals. If/when the pre-set leakage current is
reached, meter relay trips off and stops test (nondestructive). Has a
"compensation" circuit to compensate for non-leakage current.

The test voltage terminals are on front panel, are the Millen "hi-voltage"
type. It has the original three-wire power cord with folding ground blade.
Cabinet appears to have been re-painted, and is slightly grungy, but panel
of the instrument has not - it is clean, very few scratches - almost as if a
newer instrument was placed in an older cabinet. The front panel would clean
up to near-new appearance with soap/water. The original schematic is pasted
inside the cabinet and shows dates 1959 - 1960. No separate manual.

Inside cabinet shows original, unmodified, unrepaired "military contractor"
type construction. No tubes required.

I presume it was only intended to check non-polarized caps. However, I think
one can easily run the output through a HV bridge rectifier and test
polarized types, as well. You can start from zero volts and go to at least
2250 VAC (which is 3180 VDC peak out of the bridge), so it should be usable
for many applications other than those intended. I have used it to find the
PRV of some unknown HV diodes for a power supply I was building - I could
have perfectly matched them, even.

======================ITEM 2:=====================================
DUBROW VOLTMETER ELECTRONIC ME 30 C/U
115 - 230 VAC 50 - 1000 CYCLE

An industrial quality AC Vacuum-Tube Voltmeter. Measures RMS voltage, 12
ranges: 1MV (-60 dB) to 300 V (+50 dB) from 10 Hz to 4MHz. 10 Meg input Z, 9
tubes. Has excellent manual including theory of operation, short course in
using AC VTVM, full self-troubleshooting, full instructions, full
schematics. Has bananna jacks for input as well as output (the internal
broadband amplifier can be used independent of the meter function). No test
leads.

Well-worn, otherwise clean. METER APPEARS TO STICK sometimes at about 10% of
FS (dust inside case?). Otherwise working fine.

Manual has complete photo illustrations, and I have copier. SASE, anyone?

======================ITEM 3:=====================================
Heathkit V-7A VTVM. One-owner (me). I put it together from kit back in the '50's
or '60's. Has a working homebrew DC probe, needs 2 conventional leads (for
Common and AC/Ohms) with bananna plugs. It is grungy - would probably clean
up OK with soap/water. I think I have the orig manual somewhere, but may not
be able to find it, so quote for with/without the manual.

73's to all.

Jerry Flanders     W4UKU      South Carolina     [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Feb 96 17:19:56 CST
From: [email-masked] (William Hawkins)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re:  Old Test Equipment FS
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

I'm interested in the Bendix hipot tester.  How about $55 plus shipping?
Unless it weighs more than 50 pounds - that would be a problem.

Bill Hawkins  [email-masked]  612 895-2085  Minneapolis, MN  USA

------------------------------

End of GLOWBUGS Digest 102
**************************