Subject: GLOWBUGS digest 144

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 19:48:31 -0600 (CST)

GLOWBUGS Digest 144

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) 
	by James Farkas <[email-masked]>
  2) tubes
	by Brad Mugleston <[email-masked]>
  3) Re: 40m BA QSO Freq. es 80 meter funzies
	by [email-masked]
  4) Re: 80M QSO
	by [email-masked]
  5) need coupling units for...
	by robert fowle <[email-masked]>

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 21:05:55 -0500 (EST)
From: James Farkas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Message-ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.960327210526.25163D@yoda>

subscribe
end

JamesFarkas,KA3CYW,58FirstStreet,EllwoodCity,PA16117-2565,412-758-4447

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 07:56:50 -0700
From: Brad Mugleston <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: tubes
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

--388f_751f-493f_f36-48ee_2043
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-MD5: jpzTvOFkJRsCGFb7FRuzug==

Michael Silva suggested I list the tubes I have so you people who know can tell me 
what I have and maybe, just maybe give me some ideas of what I can build (keep 
them simple, please).

We have a new mailer and Ive never tried to attach a file before so It it 
doesn't work Ill try another way.

Thanks
--388f_751f-493f_f36-48ee_2043
Content-Type: application/octet-stream
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-MD5: 8lmvTbM1K2Bv/zd117AMrw==
Content-Description: tubes.prn
X-Content-Name: tubes.prn

    117L7      1N5-GT/G   35L6-GT/G  6AK5    6BU6    6S8-GT   8U
    117L7-GT   1S5        35Z5       6AK6    6C4     6SC7     9001
    117P7      24A        35/51      6AL5    6CB6    6SN7GT   IH5-GT/G
    117L7      1N5-GT/G   35L6-GT/G  6AK5    6BU6    6S8-GT   8U
    117L7-GT   1S5        35Z5       6AK6    6C4     6SC7     9001
    117P7      24A        35/51      6AL5    6CB6    6SN7GT   IH5-GT/G
    12AT7      25L6       45         6AQ5    6CB6A   6U8      IN5-G
    12AU7      25L6-GT    50L6GT     6AS5    6CBS    6U8A     IR5
    12AX7      25L6-GT/G  50L6-GT    6AU6    6CD6    6UD6     IS5
    12SA7      25Z5       50Y6-GT/G  6AX5GT  6CF6    6W4GT    OA3
    12SJ7-GT   26         5436T      6BA6    6F8-G   6X4      ODS
    12SQ7      27         5U46A      6BE6    6J6     6X5-GT   ??5
    1E7G       2A3        5U4G       6BH6    6J7     6X6-GT
    1LB4       2D21       6AC7       6BH6    6K8     80
    1LD5       35L6       6AG5       6BK5    6S8GT   837
--388f_751f-493f_f36-48ee_2043--

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 12:01:26 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked] (), [email-masked],
Subject: Re: 40m BA QSO Freq. es 80 meter funzies
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

> 
> Bob, et all,
> Several of us have been keeping the color-burst freq. occupied
> even if you are away having fun! I haven't seen any discussion/agreement
> on a freq. for 40m BA QSO for those nites when the QRN is S9+ on 80.
> Also, what about a 30m freq. for those of us who have continuous
> coverage military BA rigs?
> Any suggestions anyone??????
> Dennis KC5EPZ

I was on finally after a dry spell, last night, and worked a number of
Glowbuggites/Boatanchorites on 3579.545.  It got much better as the watch
progressed into the wee small hours.  

A fine crew o' 7 sparks awash in the balmy ether were 'eard.
>From NC, worked Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Texas, New York, Georgie, and
them thar Cajuns down Loooouisiana, way....(:+}}....
I 'eard more Viking Adventurers last night than in all me years
on watch --- 2 of them on in the same watch!  Tears it were a'bringin'
ta de ol' man's eyeballs, cuz it were his first rig in the yesteryears
as a shaky-fisted Novice tyke.....(:+}}.....

Skip was quite long, in the late hours, and the noise finally quieted
down around 0600Z.

I tried 40 for a few minutes at 0500Z, with K9NO, but the only thing
I could hear were Spanish and South Americans at 5NN on the Ether Scale.
40 won't be in for a while yet, at that rate, although it might be OK
in the very early evening before it gets too dark.  I would propose
we try 7025khz exactly, for the extras and 7025.400 for the rest of
the crew.  There is usually a knat's eyelash teensie bit o' space to
slide up into, about that QRG.

Let us try the following........

   QTR 0200/0300Z QRG 7025.000/7025.400KHZ

   QTR 0400/0500/0600Z QRG 3579.545KHZ

73/ZUT DE NA4G UP
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 13:27:30 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked] (DOUG WIESE)
Cc: [email-masked] (), [email-masked],
Subject: Re: 80M QSO
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

This kind of thing is too good to pass up.  Here is a fellow who really
knows how to get some simple minded fun out of running his fine little
peanut whistle/canoe anchor BA rig.  It shows you fellers what you can
do and says a lot about what it is to be a Boatanchorite/Glowbuggite.
It also suggests that a lot of us can get the lead and arthritis outta
de ol' glass arm, an rattle 'n bang on the ol brass monkey again, with
yer fine polished sparkengespitzerin firebottle burners.  Also, the
junk tv color burst rock channel is now a fine piece o' BA real estate
for all to enjoy.  Let us use it and lay fair claim to the QRG in the
good name of all fine boatanchorite/glowbuggite firebottle burners!

More than a goodly portion of the fun o' playin' wid dese here rigs
is a gently stokin' up their warm fuzzy glow an' a'sparkin' a hole
or two in the ether in the wee small hours...... go for it!

>     Bob, thanks for the nice QSO last night on the color rock channel. 
>  Talk about minimalist gear!  The Johnson Adventurer hadn't been out of 
> that box on the floor in over 15 years, since I replaced it with a 
> Viking II in my novice days to get a VFO.  All my Novice rocks (6) for 
> 80 are now out of the band.  I had gotten a couple of TV colorburst 
> rocks from a guys junkbox a couple of years ago, I was going to attempt 
> to speedup a police scanner I had at that time.  Found them, bent the 
> pins to wedge them in the XTAL socket and there you are!  A short patch 
> cord, to the 80M dipole thru an old ameco LP filter that I got in a box 
> of junk at last Dec"s Handi-Ham silent auction and listening on an old 
> Drake R-4A hooked to a separate random wire ant, gnd connection and I"M 
> ON THE AIR!  The pure simplicity was a joy in itself AND I can now get 
> on 80 without waiting for the XYL to finish watching TV, NO TVI!!  My 80 
> ant is about 20 ft directly over her big Toshiba, which throws more 
> Horizontal osc. noise in my receiver than I can stand!  

Happy Happy Joy Joy......  Ahh, the joys of such simplicity.....

The televiseo rock QRG is working out quite well.  I have found that the
wire lead rocks can be put into the old style twinlead plastic TV antenna
line connectors (same spacing and pin size as FT-243 holders).  Also, in
a pinch, you can take an octal tube base, cut the odd pins out to fit the
xtal socket spacing, sand it up a bit, and solder in the cheap ratshack
rocks and that will work quite well.  Or, just bend the pins a bit and
insert into the rock holder.

With the XYL's these days on cable, there is no interference to the
rock QRG to her prime time shows.  Alas, her unfiltered telviseo
device does emit some QRM on the QRG, but mostly that is a bit o'
background crackle and din, kinda like on 600 meters.....(:+}}.....

>     At any rate I haven't had so much enjoyment out of so little in a 
> LONG time.  Expect to find me regularly on the QRG.  One of my goals had 
> been to work "Boatanchor Bob" on CW for about a year now, but to do it 
> on 14 watts output was a real kick!  You don't know how many times I've 
> listened on 160 (no good antenna) or 80 (TVI) or 40 (BC QRM) on the old 
> Friday night freqs, hoping tp hear you.  Thanks for struggling with my 
> "fist".  I copied W1AW a lot last year, wanting to take my Extra before 
> they changed the question pool this year, but hadn't SENT CW in a long 
> long time.  I bought a Vibroplex single lever key and MFJ econokeyer at 
> a hamfest last fall.  So far I only had the nerve to subject one poor 
> Canadian and a luckless WA8 to my attempts at sending with it!  Finally, 
> about a week ago I decided to dust off the old straight iron and get 
> back to basics.  I found I was so rusty and had such "stage fright" when 
> I got a QSO that I couldn't work the keyer beacause of nervousness.  
> After blowing so much code I felt so LIDish that it took a few weeks to 
> get up my nerve to try again.  For now I'm going to haunt the novice 
> bands and work some slow CW until I get my confidence back, then I'll 
> tackle that keyer again.  I've also got an old green Heatkit Iambic 
> squeeze keyer I built in the late 70's and never learned to use either. 

I will consider it an honor and a pleasure to finally have made your QSO.
Here is a fellow that knows how to make it work, and enjoy it too, in the
real spirit of ham radio and all we boatanchorite/glowbuggite types be
about.  Kudos to him, and maybe his spirit will infect a few o' you
still a'waitin' in the bilges fer a stint on watch.  Don't ever let yer
fist or yer QRQ/QRS bother yer gettin in there and joining the group.
Heavens ta mergatory, Myrtle, jus' be a'jumpin' in there an goes fer it!
We all gets a bit skittish on the sending iron, now an' again.  An' fer
sure, me glass arm is as QLF as the rest, even as an ol' pfarte o' de
first water......  But, doing it an not missing an occasional watch is
worth more fer me peece an' sanity in the long run, than all the
Geritol or Carter's Little Liver Pills (or watevers them things be
a'called these days.....(:+}}.....).

>  I took over a ten year hiatus from ham radio (young family, etc.) and 
> now I'm going back in with a vengence.  Bought a PK-232 a couple years 
> back but it just isn't Ham Radio to me.  I grew up as a teenager wanting 
> to be ham very badly, but in those days around here, Elmers were hard to 
> find. after discovering girls and marraige I finally got licensed at 26 
> in "76 and put thr Knight T-60 I built in "64 on the air.  Nine months 
> later I passed Advanced at the FCC office in St. Paul and there I stayed 
> until last September, had been studing code went to a small hamfest in 
> WI , not much at the tables, what the heck I'm not ready but I'll take 
> the Extra just to get a look at it, and PASSED!  Looking back at the 
> last two years since I got back into it I collected some commercial BA's 
> but the OPERATING part was missing.  It was a most gratifying experience 
> working you on that simple rig!  I assume you where using "Big Bertha 
> Radiomarine" as I copied you very well more nervousness than QRN.  I 
> immediatly had to pull out K9TA's T-50 ER article and reread it and read 
> the mail when you where working Sandy.  Got to go I'm almost out of time 
> on this BBS.  I've got to do E-Mail thru it and UUCP don't have a REAL 
> internet connection.

Well, gals, the kids, too much job, an' them thar sorts o' thingies do
tend to get in the way, on occasion, but, hang in there an' glad you can
finally get in on the fun, even after a 10 year stint off-watch.
Here is a feller that stuck with his 'hankerin' fer radio, and it finally
paid off.  All youse other fellers take note.  If he can do it, so can you!
If ya needs an Elmer, find one, or ask around, or consult the lists.
Plenty o' fine Elmer type inhabits these 'ere lists (BA/GB fer sure).

The simplicity o' pluggin in de ol' televiseo rocco an' making them thar
electrons dance the ditty one more time, is somethin' that jus' never gets
old, an shows you what even a simple rig can do.  That is why I push
thingies like the ol' Hartleys on the Glowbug list and the odd arcusfivus
rigs, an' the like here.  Even them thar peanut sized whistles can put
out a fine set o' sparks fer the late watch ether burnin'.  I was jus'
on the ol' HW-16 last night, an' her 30 watts out, were percolatin' along
jus' fine.  I will try to stokes up Big Bertha Radiomarine, an' mebbee
Sandy down in Cajun Country (luv dat Cajun dirty rice an gumbo vittles)
wilst fires up his Viking 500 barnburner, an' we will trys ta get a few
miles further fer the fellers to listen fer.

So, gang, if Doug can do it, SO CAN YOU.....  A challenge be forthwith
sent out, to all Boatanchorites and Glowbuggites --- fires ye up yer
bottles, grapples ye up yer tin cans atop yer 'eads, an keeps yer keys
a'readys at the fore, fer a fine an' goodly time on the watch!  Gets yer
firebottle rigs a'stoked, an BE THERE.....

(What good is having all this ancient junque unless you actually USE it!)

>     any replys to [email-masked]
>     73 and BCNU on 3579.545 kc/s  Doug -- WB0YDD

SU/TU 73/ZUT DE NA4G UP
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 19:56:11 -0500 (EST)
From: robert fowle <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: need coupling units for...
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

I know i'm gonna open a can of worms, but....
i have a MicroMatch model 263.3 by M.C. Jones electronics, Bristol, conn.
(which came out of the Hammarlund engineering section) 
and a Collins Type 302C-1 (we all know where from)
        i'm looking for the coupling units and manuals for both these units.
if you can shed any lite on these, please drop me a line.
thanks....

===========================================================]-[->
Robert Fowle
The HAMMARLUND Historian
Ph. voice or fax  517-789-6721
1215 Winifred
Jackson, Mich. 49202-1946
E-mail at: [email-masked]
                 HAMMARLUND LITERETURE WANTED
WANTED: MANUALS FOR ANY MAKE RADIO EQUIPMENT
===========================================================]-[->

------------------------------

End of GLOWBUGS Digest 144
**************************