Subject: GLOWBUGS digest 199

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 09:06:56 -0500 (CDT)

GLOWBUGS Digest 199

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Book Review: Secrets of Homebuilt Regen Receivers
	by [email-masked]
  2) net freq?
	by "richard wilkerson" <[email-masked]>
  3) thanks
	by "richard wilkerson" <[email-masked]>

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 13:52:56 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Book Review: Secrets of Homebuilt Regen Receivers
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

I bought the book "Secrets of Homebuilt Regenerative Receivers" by C. F.
"Rock" Rockey and thought I would pass along a few comments to the group.

Rockey's book starts out with an interesting history of radio wave detectors
starting with Hertz's gapped ring, the "Coherer" used by Marconi, the famous
wind up "Maggie" and others.  The book next moves on to integrating detectors
including the electrolytic detector, crystal detectors, and finally the
valve.  Rockey next launches into a brief history of regenerative receivers
and some interesting stories associated with them.

After presenting the history, Rockey moves on to theory.  He talks about
regenerative detection, techniques for controlling regeneration, and coil
design.  Towards the end the book discusses some of the practical aspects of
building regenerative receivers; stuff like build it like a battleship, use a
vernier, etc.  Common problems like excessive loading of the tuning tank and
fringe howl are also discussed.

The book closes with a few proven schematics of receivers Rockey had built
and a collection of schematics reprinted from other Lindsay Publications
(which are reprinted from Radio News and others).  There is enough
information included in the schematics to allow the duplication of the
circuits but, detailed "How to build" information is not included.

In general, I found the history and anecdotes interesting reading.  By far,
Rocky's book is the largest compilation of information on regenerative
receivers I have seen.  However, the secrets in the book are not unknown to
the collective wisdom of Glowbugs.  Over the past year I have saved numerous
GB postings regarding regenerative receivers that encompass Rocky's secrets
and more.  I would classify "Secrets of Homebuilt Regenerative Receivers" as
an excellent introduction to regen receivers.

73's,  Eric WD6DGX

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 96 11:19:03 UT
From: "richard wilkerson" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: net freq?
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

I have lost the frequency and time of the BA net I think it was 3580 kc's but 
not sure. If someone could give me the information please..thanks rich wd6fdd.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 May 96 18:28:18 UT
From: "richard wilkerson" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: thanks
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

thanks to all that let me about the BA net freq and time..I guess this is 
nightly??? 73's rich wd6fdd.

------------------------------

End of GLOWBUGS Digest 199
**************************