Subject: GLOWBUGS digest 209

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 22:05:44 -0500 (CDT)

GLOWBUGS Digest 209

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) BA Tip for the Day --- cheap relays
	by [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 11:35:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked] ()
Subject: BA Tip for the Day --- cheap relays
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Since the topic of dc running of ac relays has popped up, I thought
I would pass along my zwei pfennigs worth.....

If you have a stock of the 110 vac octal K-series relays or the
110vac heavy duty AC power relays such as are used in general
electrical equipment circles, they can be made into very effective
antenna, power, keying, and other use relays at 28vdc for general
boatanchorite/glowbuggite playing.

I have been using these things for years on 28vdc for such things
as power starting contactors for dynamotors or antenna relays or
keying relays (the octal K series do pretty well at this if you
don't need to QRQ 50wpm).

On 28vdc the 110vac relays tend to be slightly sluggish, but that is
usually not much of a problem.

Not all 110vac relays will key on 28vdc but most seem to, and are
entirely satisfactory.  Ones that don't key well, usually will on
36 volts or so, as was mentioned earlier in the Dow key fix.

Thus, there is good use for all those useless scrap junque boxen
110vac power relays that you have scarfed up over the years in your
golden junque boxe.....(:+}}.....

73/ZUT DE NA4G/Bob

------------------------------

End of GLOWBUGS Digest 209
**************************