Subject: GLOWBUGS digest 228

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 1996 21:58:50 -0500 (CDT)

GLOWBUGS Digest 228

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) AC on the Chassis
	by [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Jul 1996 22:55:29 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: AC on the Chassis
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

The other day I disconnected the antenna from my one tube 6AQ5A "Little
Whooper" and left it sitting on my desk plugged.  In this condition the
chassis was not grounded since I was lazy and relied on shield of the antenna
coax for ground.  By chance I brushed up against the chassis of the "Whooper"
and was nipped.  I pulled out a Volt meter and measured 70 Volts AC from the
chassis to ground.

How can this happen when the AC line is isolated from the chassis via a
transformer?  Is it possible that there is leakage  from the primary of the
transformer to the core/metal frame?  If this is the source of leakage, is
this sort of thing common?  Will I be OK by simply grounding the chassis or
is the transformer a disaster waiting to happen?  Any advice from the group
would be appreciated.

73's,

Eric WD6DGX

------------------------------

End of GLOWBUGS Digest 228
**************************