Subject: GLOWBUGS digest 280

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 01:34:09 -0500 (CDT)

GLOWBUGS Digest 280

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Needed
	by Merv Schweigert <[email-masked]>
  2) Re: Needed
	by [email-masked]
  3) Re: Mystery Coil
	by [email-masked]
  4) Re: Needed
	by Jeff Duntemann <[email-masked]>
  5) Re: Needed
	by Jeff Duntemann <[email-masked]>
  6) Source for audio chokes
	by Jeff Duntemann <[email-masked]>
  7) BA/GB Net Returning Saga --- Any Interest?????
	by [email-masked]
  8) RE: Source for audio chokes
	by "Paul Bocci-CPB007" <[email-masked]>
  9) Re: Needed (Audio Choke)
	by [email-masked]
 10) RE: Source for audio chokes
	by [email-masked] (Jim Bowman)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 09:12:57 -0500
From: Merv Schweigert <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Needed
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

        I am wanting to build a regen set from 6j7 and 6c5 tubes, but
need a audio choke, anyone have one they will part with?  Needs to be
around 700 to 800 hy., not too critical. Have all the other parts but
the choke. Thanks 73 Merv 
**************************************************************************
* Merv Schweigert            Key Collector, Paddles, Bugs, Straight Keys *
* 9694 S. Prairie Road                                                   *
* Red Bud, Ill 62278         Looking for Keys and code/telegraph Items.. *
* 618-282-3953 Voice                                                     *
* 618-939-FAXX Fax           Appreciate any calls or leads.............. *
* [email-masked] E-mail	                                                 *
*                                       K9FD  Know Code                  * 
**************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 11:00:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked] (), [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Needed
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

>         I am wanting to build a regen set from 6j7 and 6c5 tubes, but
> need a audio choke, anyone have one they will part with?  Needs to be
> around 700 to 800 hy., not too critical. Have all the other parts but
> the choke. Thanks 73 Merv 
> * Merv Schweigert            Key Collector, Paddles, Bugs, Straight Keys *

Merv..... My experiments indicate that almost anything from 10 henries or
more will work fine in this application.  If you are looking for a period
choke, good luck.  As an alternative, try a 30h filter choke or a primary
from a surplus 20K/600ohm microphone or audio transformer.

73/ZUT DE NA4G/Bob UP

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 11:10:07 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked] (), [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Mystery Coil
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

> I recently bought a box of assorted radio parts and got a very interesting
> coil in the bargin.  The coil is about 3 inches in diameter, 5 inches long
> and is wound with cotton covered stranded wire of about 20 guage.  About 2/3
> up the coil there is a shaft that turns a smaller coil inside.  Half of the
> windings on the roating coil overlap the lower 2/3rds of the larger coil and
> the other half of the roating coil overlaps the upper 1/3rd of the larger
> coil.  I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this coil was intended to
> do?  I have seen rotating coils used to control feedback in regen receivers
> and to adjust antenna coupling but, this one is a mystery to me.
> 
> 73,
> Eric, WD6DGX

Eric..... these kinds of coils were used to vary inductance in transmitters
and receivers.  If the coil wire is on a ceramic form, it was probably used
in a lf or mf transmitter such as the TBW or their like.  If it is a bakelite
form it was probably used in a receiver of some sort (mostly 20's gear, but
also a few military pieces up through wwII).  These kinds of coils make very
good regen receiver coils if you can break out the wiring from between the
coil proper and the rotary section (usually possible).  Use the main coil
for the tuning secondary inductance on your regenerative detector and use
the rotary coil as the tickler coil, in conjunction with a throttle
condenser of about 300-500pf, and you should have a fine detector coil.
A usual grid leak of 1-10 megs and a coupling condenser of 20-100pf should
work.

Cotton covered wire usually dated from the 20's, although it was used though
WWII in some instances in lf/mf gear.

73/ZUT DE NA4G/Bob UP

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 1996 08:48:39 PDT
From: Jeff Duntemann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Needed
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

At 09:11 AM 9/3/96 -0500, you wrote:
>        I am wanting to build a regen set from 6j7 and 6c5 tubes, but
>need a audio choke, anyone have one they will part with?  Needs to be
>around 700 to 800 hy., not too critical. Have all the other parts but
>the choke. Thanks 73 Merv 
>**************************************************************************
>* Merv Schweigert            Key Collector, Paddles, Bugs, Straight Keys *
>* 9694 S. Prairie Road                                                   *
>* Red Bud, Ill 62278         Looking for Keys and code/telegraph Items.. *
>* 618-282-3953 Voice                                                     *
>* 618-939-FAXX Fax           Appreciate any calls or leads.............. *
>* [email-masked] E-mail	                                                 *
>*                                       K9FD  Know Code                  * 
>**************************************************************************
>
>
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 1996 08:51:10 PDT
From: Jeff Duntemann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Needed
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

At 09:11 AM 9/3/96 -0500, you wrote:
>        I am wanting to build a regen set from 6j7 and 6c5 tubes, but
>need a audio choke, anyone have one they will part with?  Needs to be
>around 700 to 800 hy., not too critical. Have all the other parts but
>the choke. Thanks 73 Merv 

Merv--

I've used the primary of an ordinary tube-era output transformer for this
purpose and it works fine.  I don't think the inductance is quite that high
but anything in the ballpark will work.  Many people used resistors instead
and their radios worked well, albeit with reduced output.

I accidentally sent a reply without typing in my response; early morning
coffee jitters, doubtless.  Please excuse.

--73--

--Jeff Duntemann KG7JF
  Scottsdale, Arizona

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 1996 08:53:51 PDT
From: Jeff Duntemann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Source for audio chokes
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Merv--

There is one place where you've got a good chance of finding true period
audio chokes: Playthings of the Past, in Cleveland.  Their catalog is a
wonderland of old parts.  I don't have it here at work but I'll find it and
post the address.  They don't have a phone!

Talk about period authenticity...

--73--

--Jeff Duntemann KG7JF
  Scottsdale, Arizona

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 13:47:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked] ()
Subject: BA/GB Net Returning Saga --- Any Interest?????
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Is there any interest in reviving the BA/GB CWist Net on the ol' televiseo-
rocko QRG of 3579R545 khz or 7050R500 khz?  A few folks have expressed an
interest, and I have been listening on the QRG off and on, but very few
bottleburners seem to be about in the summer QRN.  Now that Fall is fast upon
us, I would assume folks may want to rattle an' bang on the ol' brass monkey
a bit more?????  Reply direct email and I will summarize to the group, and
Sandy Blaize will summarize to the BA folks for me.

73/ZUT DE NA4G/Bob UP

p.s. I finally found an 849 socket for me Hartley ---- all hands beware!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 13:11:38 -0500
From: "Paul Bocci-CPB007" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Source for audio chokes
Message-ID: <Macintosh */PRMD=MOT/ADMD=MOT/C=US/@MHS>

I second the recommendation of Playthings of the Past.  The proprietor is 
very reasonable and, having visited the store, he as an incredible variety 
of compontents available.  He does have a phone number (which I don't have 
handy at the moment) for placing orders, it is just not in the store.  Store 
hours are rather erratic anyway as I think this is as much a hobby as a 
money making operation.  He frequents many of the antique radio meets (i.e. 
Elgin last week) but does not really advertise the store.  He used to 
publish a catalog available for a nominal charge but may have given up on it 
as the inventory changes faster than a catalog can keep up.

73, 
Paul, K9NO
[email-masked]
________________________________________________________
To: [email-masked]@INTERNET
From: [email-masked]@INTERNET on 3, Sep 1996,  12:43 PM
Subject: Source for audio chokes

Merv--

There is one place where you've got a good chance of finding true period
audio chokes: Playthings of the Past, in Cleveland.  Their catalog is a
wonderland of old parts.  I don't have it here at work but I'll find it and
post the address.  They don't have a phone!

Talk about period authenticity...

--73--

--Jeff Duntemann KG7JF
  Scottsdale, Arizona

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 19:28:09 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Needed (Audio Choke)
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

The best subsitute I have found for the LARGE audio chokes is an audio
interstage transformer also known simply as an audio transformer.  I once
measured the primary of a standard interstage transformer and found it to be
30 H.  This makes a very nice audio choke.  Better yet, connect the primary
and secondary together (in phase of course) for a really big inductor.

73,

Eric, WD6DGX

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 03 Sep 1996 18:59:01 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Jim Bowman)
To: [email-masked] (Multiple recipients of list),
Subject: RE: Source for audio chokes
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

I found the following listing under the Switchboard search list:

Play Things Of Past
3552 W 105th St
Cleveland, OH 44111-3838
Phone: (216)251-3714

Hope that helps

73,
Jim W7HPK
[email-masked]
 ----------
From: Jeff Duntemann
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Source for audio chokes
Date: Tue, Sep 3, 1996 10:56AM

Merv--

There is one place where you've got a good chance of finding true period
audio chokes: Playthings of the Past, in Cleveland.  Their catalog is a
wonderland of old parts.  I don't have it here at work but I'll find it and
post the address.  They don't have a phone!

Talk about period authenticity...

 --73--

 --Jeff Duntemann KG7JF
  Scottsdale, Arizona

------------------------------

End of GLOWBUGS Digest 280
**************************