Subject: GLOWBUGS digest 383

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 10:41:46 -0600 (CST)

GLOWBUGS Digest 383

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Re: Powerstat
	by Doug <[email-masked]>
  2) Heathkit Stuff Wanted
	by Bob Marsh <[email-masked]>
  3) Re: Powerstat
	by Arthur Moe <[email-masked]>
  4) Re: 1S4 QRP rig?
	by [email-masked]
  5) Re: 1S4 QRP rig?
	by "Robert M. Bratcher Jr." <[email-masked]>
  6) Regen rcvr articles
	by "Brian Carling" <[email-masked]>
  7) Re: Heathkit Stuff Wanted
	by Jake Hellbach <[email-masked]>

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 13:14:36 -0700
From: Doug <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Powerstat
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

HI Folks...I've worked with 3 phase Powerstats...this dosent sound like
one.  Normally, a 3 phase unit has three separate variable transformers
on a common shaft.  This one you have sounds like a single phase,
variable auto-transformer, good for a bench or whatever you need to use
it for. I've been using one in my screen supply for my 4-1000A amp,
(how's THAT one for a Glowbug?).  These are one of the handy little
dodads we find that lots of Hams dont recognize...great to have around.

If you are of a mind to test transformers, a cheap and sneaky way to
do that is to put a 150 watt light bulb in series with the primary,
then using an AC voltmeter, measure the voltage across the primary
terminals.  Write that one down, then measure the voltage across the
secondary (ies), write that down.  Do a little math, figure out the
turns ratio using the proportional voltages you've found.  Then, just
plug in the ratios for 120v on the primary and work out the secondary
voltage...easy enough and saves the danger of working with High voltage
potentials across the secondary.  Also, the relative brightness of the
bulb will help make you either confident or suspicious of the
possibiltiy of a shorted turn in the transformer, before you hook it
up to full voltage and find out the hard way.  I've had shorted windings
blow up on the bench, even catch fire...not a good way to start a 
project.

Hope that helps a bit...at any rate, be careful with unknow
transformers, they can really cause things to get crazy in a hurry.
If one has been sitting out where moisture can work into the windings,
it pays to heat it a bit in an oven for 3-4 hours at 130-140 degrees.
That takes time, but might save a needed transformer from becoming a
doorstop.

73 and have fun

Doug, K7YD

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 16:09:13 -0500
From: Bob Marsh <[email-masked]>
To: Boatanchors List server <[email-masked]>,
Subject: Heathkit Stuff Wanted
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Hi everyone,

I finally got my HW-16 finished, and the SB-301/401 is well on the way
to being complete.  Thanks to everyone who provided advice, information
and the occasional pep talk.  With your help, I'm actually starting to
understand what goes on inside my radios.  That was an unattainable goal
only 6 short months ago. (You know, this stuff really IS addictive!)

I'd like to get some information on these rigs for a history file I'm
putting together on each piece.  I'm interested in cut sheets,
advertisements and possibly catalogs or other books on Heathkit gear.

Also, I would like to locate a Heathkit Keyer/Paddle combo, station
accessories, test equipment and possibly an HW-101 for my next project.
I'd like to put together a collection of Heathkits that's representative
of the era.  If you have anything, please Email me.  

Finally, does anyone know if there's a Heathkit listserver or any WWW
sites dedicated to Heathkit Amateur Gear?

Thanks again to all, and I hope you have a great Holiday.

73 de Bob/KB2SGM

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 14:29:31 -0800
From: Arthur Moe <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Powerstat
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Don't forget you can take a 3 phase and make 3 single units out of it or
leave 2 on the common shaft and put one in each side of a 220 line   

At 02:15 PM 14/12/96 -0600, you wrote:
>HI Folks...I've worked with 3 phase Powerstats...this dosent sound like
>one.  Normally, a 3 phase unit has three separate variable transformers
>on a common shaft.  

.._._

                AT THE END OF THE OREGON TRAIL

Arthur Moe               			ARRL - Life
A.R.S. KB7WW      				SMIRK #733
QTH: Oregon City, Or.				QRP ARCI
[email-masked]				QRP-l #290

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 18:07:45 -0500
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: 1S4 QRP rig?
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

In a message dated 96-12-14 15:49:36 EST, you write:

> What is the URL to G3YCC's pages?
>  Thanks, I want to try this 1S4 rig!

The address of G3YCC's page is
 http://homepages.enterprise.net/g3ycc/temp.html
  then go to HOMEBREWERS CORNER
      then to  GREAT NEW ADDITIONS
      then to  CIGAR BOX VALVE RIG

--73's--

LARRY NAUMANN AA0DM
ST. LOUIS, MO

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 17:57:33 -0600
From: "Robert M. Bratcher Jr." <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: 1S4 QRP rig?
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

At 11:09 PM 12/14/96 +0000, you wrote:
>In a message dated 96-12-14 15:49:36 EST, you write:
>
>> What is the URL to G3YCC's pages?
>>  Thanks, I want to try this 1S4 rig!
>
>The address of G3YCC's page is
> http://homepages.enterprise.net/g3ycc/temp.html
>  then go to HOMEBREWERS CORNER
>      then to  GREAT NEW ADDITIONS
>      then to  CIGAR BOX VALVE RIG
>
>--73's--
>
>LARRY NAUMANN AA0DM
>ST. LOUIS, MO
>

WOW what a rig! 4 bands. Choice of 1S4, 1T4 tubes or if you have the
english ones
they are DL91, DL92, DL96.

I'm going to build this rig soon! I've got the 1S4 or 1T4 battery tubes needed.

Robert M. Bratcher Jr.
E-mail to:
[email-masked]
Record collector, 8mm, super 8, 16 and 35mm Film collector.
I like old radio's too.
Collins, Hallicrafters, National & Hammurland are my Favorites!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 18:46:59 +0000
From: "Brian Carling" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Regen rcvr articles
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Hello John,
In case I forgot to do so a couple of weeks ago, I would just like to 
say "THANK YOU!"

Thngs have been a little hectic here and I am trying to catch up on 
some correspondence.

I have never succeeded in building a TRF or REGEN receiver.
30 years ago I tried to build one using 4 or 5 EF50 tubes and I never 
got it to play so tat discourage dme from building receivers.
However, I did have a lot of success building CW and AM transmitters 
so that is more or less what I concentrate on nowadays, but who 
knows, maybe the REGEN bug will bite me!

That design with the 3S4 tubes sure looks easy to get going!

If I run across some more articles I will pass along copies to you..

It has been great reading about the older regen receivers and my 
friend Roy Morgan, K1LKY has a couple of old regen BA receivers
that he has been threatening to let me try out over at his shack 
some time soon.  The only regen that I REMEMBER operating was a 
British kit-built Conar receiver years ago, and it was pretty touchy 
best that I remember... but there may have been some others. Just a 
LONG time ago!!

73 - Bry
********************************************************
*** 73 from Radio AF4K / G3XLQ in Gaithersburg, MD USA *
**  E-mail to:  [email-masked]                         *
*** See the great ham radio resources at:              *
**  http://www.mnsinc.com/bry/                         *
********************************************************

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Dec 96 09:27 CST
From: Jake Hellbach <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Heathkit Stuff Wanted
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Hi Bob,
Look in my Web page in the "Boatanchors" section from the main menu. I have
a link to a site that is dedicated to Heathkit.
http://www.accesscom.net/~kk5hy

Hope this helps.

73' and happy holidays,
Jake KK5HY

At 03:10 PM 12/14/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I finally got my HW-16 finished, and the SB-301/401 is well on the way
>to being complete.  Thanks to everyone who provided advice, information
>and the occasional pep talk.  With your help, I'm actually starting to
>understand what goes on inside my radios.  That was an unattainable goal
>only 6 short months ago. (You know, this stuff really IS addictive!)
>
>I'd like to get some information on these rigs for a history file I'm
>putting together on each piece.  I'm interested in cut sheets,
>advertisements and possibly catalogs or other books on Heathkit gear.
>
>Also, I would like to locate a Heathkit Keyer/Paddle combo, station
>accessories, test equipment and possibly an HW-101 for my next project.
>I'd like to put together a collection of Heathkits that's representative
>of the era.  If you have anything, please Email me.  
>
>Finally, does anyone know if there's a Heathkit listserver or any WWW
>sites dedicated to Heathkit Amateur Gear?
>
>Thanks again to all, and I hope you have a great Holiday.
>
>73 de Bob/KB2SGM
>
>
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Email via: [email-masked]
A.M. International #832
Check out the Westside ARC Web page at: 
http://www.accesscom.net/~kk5hy
Now updated with boatanchor links!!!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

------------------------------

End of GLOWBUGS Digest 383
**************************