Subject: GLOWBUGS digest 449

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 23:43:36 GMT

GLOWBUGS Digest 449

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Re: Jeffrey Herman
	by Jeffrey Herman <[email-masked]>
  2) High-voltage solid state regulators
	by [email-masked] (Jeff Duntemann)
  3) Found a source of 6SH7s
	by [email-masked] (michael silva)
  4) Re: High-voltage solid state regulators
	by John Levreault <[email-masked]>
  5) USA QSL Buro address?
	by "Bowes, Fr. Bruce" <[email-masked]>

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 	Sun, 16 Feb 1997 12:32:41 -1000
From: Jeffrey Herman <[email-masked]>
To: Brian Carling <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Jeffrey Herman
Message-ID: <Pine.GSO.3.93.970216122709.12825A-100000@uhunix3>

On Sun, 16 Feb 1997, Brian Carling wrote:
> Does anyone know what has become of KH2PZ, Jeffrey Herman?
> [email-masked]
> doesn't work any more.
> His ISP reports that he is not a user any more.
> Does anyone know Jeff's new address???

Gee Brian, you sent me a couple emails just yesterday (replies
off of rec.radio.amateur.misc)!!!!!!

Yes, as of a couple weeks ago I am [email-masked].

Got a DX-60B? I'd like to trade an HW-16 for one.

And for the list, once Phoenix Crystals is up and running, I was thinking
of a group order of 7025 kc xtals. We could then use such a crystal on
14050, 21075, and 28100 kc, too! Whatcha think?

Jeff KH2PZ

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 08:30:28 -0700
From: [email-masked] (Jeff Duntemann)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: High-voltage solid state regulators
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Hi gang--

Well, the good news is I found the data sheet for the 125V regulator I
mentioned here last week.  The bad news is that Hosfelt Electronics no
longer carries it.

However, there are lots of places that sell suplus ICs.  It's worth a look.

The device is the Texas Instruments TL783C.  Output is adjustable from
1.25v to 125v, with 700ma output current available.  Now, I *think* you can
hook this thing up so that it can regulate a higher voltage so long as the
output voltage is no higher than the input voltage that 125v.  I've never
done that, however.  Still, I'd bet you could make a VFO work at 125v.

Anyway, if somebody knows where to buy this part, please post the info for
those interested.

--73--

--Jeff Duntemann KG7JF
  Scottsdale, Arizona

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 11:34:01 -0600 (CST)
From: [email-masked] (michael silva)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Found a source of 6SH7s
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Hi all,

I just received some 6SH7s from somebody via the net.  They appear to 
have been bulk stored in a location that got wet, and there were some 
rust spots on some of the bases where they rested on the wet cardboard. 
The price was $1 each including shipping, but then the seller threw in 
almost as many again for free (apparently he's swimming in them).  They 
all tested good, and I told him I'd mention him on the list.  He is:

[email-masked]

BTW, the 6SH7 is a hot sharp cutoff octal metal pentode, like the 6SJ7 
but with more than twice the transconductance.  It's miniature 
offspring is the 6AU6.  Should find lots of use as oscillators, buffers 
and (my next project) the error amplifier for a regulated power supply.

73,
Mike, KK6GM

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 14:50:55 -0500 (EST)
From: John Levreault <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: High-voltage solid state regulators
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

At 03:31 PM 2/17/97 GMT, KG7JF wrote:
>Hi gang--
>
>Well, the good news is I found the data sheet for the 125V regulator I
>mentioned here last week.  The bad news is that Hosfelt Electronics no
>longer carries it.
>
>However, there are lots of places that sell suplus ICs.  It's worth a look.
>
>The device is the Texas Instruments TL783C.  Output is adjustable from
>1.25v to 125v, with 700ma output current available.  Now, I *think* you can
>hook this thing up so that it can regulate a higher voltage so long as the
>output voltage is no higher than the input voltage that 125v.  I've never
>done that, however.  Still, I'd bet you could make a VFO work at 125v.
>
>

Try Future/Active @ (800)655-0006. Part number TL783CKC, cost is $4.51 each,
$2.56 @ 50+.

The 125V rating refers to the difference between input and output voltages.
If you need an output of 150V, then make sure your input voltage is less
than 275V. Of course, you need to worry about turn-on and turn-off, too. If
you have lots of capacitance on the output, it will be slow to charge up, so
watch out if you use a HV input. And don't forget about dissipation. That
700ma is a maximum, but you can't have 125V and 700ma at the same time!

de NB1I
John Levreault

------------------------------

Date:        Mon, 17 Feb 1997 17:42:46 EST
From: "Bowes, Fr. Bruce" <[email-masked]>
To: The Glowbugs tube list <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Subject: USA QSL Buro address?
Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

Can anyone give me the address of the USA QSL Buro in NH(?) ?
Tnx
Fr Bowes

------------------------------

End of GLOWBUGS Digest 449
**************************