Subject: GLOWBUGS digest 471

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:35:18 GMT

GLOWBUGS Digest 471

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) CPCW-5 First Impressions
	by "Brian Carling" <[email-masked]>
  2) MINI-REVIEW CPCW-5 xmtr kit
	by "Brian Carling" <[email-masked]>
  3) CPCW-5 forwarded
	by [email-masked] (Mike McShan)
  4) DIAL COVERS
	by [email-masked] (John Heck)
  5) ac5am: Info on Drake rigs etc.
	by [email-masked] (Robert L Stolzle)
  6) Cabinet for 75A3
	by [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 22:46:52 +0000
From: "Brian Carling" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: CPCW-5 First Impressions
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Someone please copy this mini-review to QRP-L

Here is a "First Impression" of the new CAKE PAN CW-5 transmitter 
that arrived today.

It is  a new TUBE product on the market for hams! What a great way for 
all of those new NO CODE TECHS and other beginners to get their feet 
wet with a REAL RADIO! 

The radio can be bought assembled or as a kit. It comes with a really 
good manual and plenty of helpful instructions. Mine was already 
assembled and worked great right out of the box. I was on the air 
within 10 minutes.

This CW transmitting device uses a specially designed 
tranformer that is made just for this rig, plus a 6C4 - 6AQ5 tube 
line-up, plug-in coils  and a PI-NET output. There is plenty of room 
on the chassis for your own mods or add-ons, and later this month 
they will begin offering an AM version of the rig, or a modification 
kit to add modulation to existing rigs.

I can see adding a semi-break-in circuit, maybe a relay for keying 
from my memory keyer etc, later. For tonight I just used the straight 
key.

This rig is destined to become a classic! 
Once I figured out which tube went where and got the 6C4 and 6AQ5 
tubes plugged in OK, I realized that the OTHER 7 pin tube socket 
is for the crystals to  plug in! A novel approach. I had seen 
something like this done with FT-243 crystals in Octal tube sockets plenty of times.

I plugged it in and 
connected an antenna (G5RV and MFJ-949D tuner) and plugged in the 
crystal for 3640 kHz that came with it. No one around so I tried a 
CQ. It only has ONE tuning control (plate variable) - the PI-NET has 
a fixed cap on the antenna side. No problem getting a full 5 watts 
out right away (according the notoriously inaccurate wattmeter used 
in tuners of this type) - but certainly in the ballpark of 5-6 watts 
out all of the time. The rig tunes nicely and has a good note.

Some RTTY signal is hogging the frequency and I get no replies to my 
CQs, so I plug in the 3700 kHz rock and move up the band.

SO at 0042 UTC I put out my first CQ on 3700 and got a reply from 
W8TMS in TROY, MI - DX!! AND he gave me RST 599! Not bad for a 
maiden viyage on the CPCW-5. 
Later on I heard K3JO nearby calling CQ and gave 81 year-old Jules a 
call. He came right back and chatted with me for 35 enjoyable 
minutes. My report was RST 579 From Narberth, PA up near Philly
using his homebrew 2-tube rig with a 6DQ6 final pumping 25 watts to 
an end-fed wire.

Later at 0135 UTC I tried a CQ again, and got a call from KR4LE. THe band was 
getting noisier now, but Emery got me RST 599 in Richmond, VA

My last QSO of the evening came at 0211 UTC, again on 3700 kHz 
with KB1MJ up in Dedham, MA running a Heath HW-9 QRP rig.
Conditions were awful but Paul and I toughed it out!

I hope to work many of you soon with my delightful new glowbug here! 
I will be QRV evenings on 3640 and 3700 kHz with the CPCW5 rig from 
VINTAGE RADIO KIT COMPANY.

If you are interested - contact Carl, WB1EYE who supplies these kits 
at:

427 N. Main Street
Sharon, MA 02067

or you can read more about it on my web pages at:

http://www.mnsinc.com/bry/hamfiles.htm

I have no financial interest in this company - just a happy user of 
their product.

Anyone else using one - please contact me via e-mail at:

[email-masked]

72 to all - Bry, AF4K in Gaithersburg, MD

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 06:31:54 +0000
From: "Brian Carling" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: MINI-REVIEW CPCW-5 xmtr kit
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

I sent this to GLOWBUGS but it didn't show up so I will try again!
= = = = =
Someone please copy this mini-review to QRP-L please.
You are welcome to reproduce it anywhere else you would like too!
=======================================================

Here is a "First Impression" of the new CAKE PAN CW-5 transmitter that
arrived today.

It is  a new TUBE product on the market for hams! What a great way for
all of those new NO CODE TECHS and other beginners to get their feet
wet with a REAL RADIO! 

The radio can be bought assembled or as a kit. It comes with a really
good manual and plenty of helpful instructions. Mine was already
assembled and worked great right out of the box. I was on the air
within 10 minutes.

This CW transmitting device uses a specially designed 
tranformer that is made just for this rig, plus a 6C4 - 6AQ5 tube
line-up, plug-in coils  and a PI-NET output. There is plenty of room
on the chassis for your own mods or add-ons, and later this month they
will begin offering an AM version of the rig, or a modification kit to
add modulation to existing rigs.

I can see adding a semi-break-in circuit, maybe a relay for keying
from my memory keyer etc, later. For tonight I just used the straight
key.

This rig is destined to become a classic! 
Once I figured out which tube went where and got the 6C4 and 6AQ5
tubes plugged in OK, I realized that the OTHER 7 pin tube socket is
for the crystals to  plug in! A novel approach. I had seen something
like this done with FT-243 crystals in Octal tube sockets plenty of
times.

I plugged it in and 
connected an antenna (G5RV and MFJ-949D tuner) and plugged in the
crystal for 3640 kHz that came with it. No one around so I tried a CQ.
It only has ONE tuning control (plate variable) - the PI-NET has a
fixed cap on the antenna side. No problem getting a full 5 watts out
right away (according the notoriously inaccurate wattmeter used in
tuners of this type) - but certainly in the ballpark of 5-6 watts out
all of the time. The rig tunes nicely and has a good note.

Some RTTY signal is hogging the frequency and I get no replies to my
CQs, so I plug in the 3700 kHz rock and move up the band.

SO at 0042 UTC I put out my first CQ on 3700 and got a reply from
W8TMS in TROY, MI - DX!! AND he gave me RST 599! Not bad for a maiden
viyage on the CPCW-5. Later on I heard K3JO nearby calling CQ and gave
81 year-old Jules a call. He came right back and chatted with me for
35 enjoyable minutes. My report was RST 579 From Narberth, PA up near
Philly using his homebrew 2-tube rig with a 6DQ6 final pumping 25
watts to an end-fed wire.

Later at 0135 UTC I tried a CQ again, and got a call from KR4LE. THe
band was getting noisier now, but Emery got me RST 599 in Richmond, VA

My last QSO of the evening came at 0211 UTC, again on 3700 kHz 
with KB1MJ up in Dedham, MA running a Heath HW-9 QRP rig.
Conditions were awful but Paul and I toughed it out!

I hope to work many of you soon with my delightful new glowbug here! I
will be QRV evenings on 3640 and 3700 kHz with the CPCW5 rig from
VINTAGE RADIO KIT COMPANY.

If you are interested - contact Carl, WB1EYE who supplies these kits
at:

427 N. Main Street
Sharon, MA 02067

or you can read more about it on my web pages at:

http://www.mnsinc.com/bry/hamfiles.htm

I have no financial interest in this company - just a happy user of
their product.

Anyone else using one - please contact me via e-mail at:

[email-masked]

72 to all - Bry, AF4K in Gaithersburg, MD

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 07:30:01 -0600
From: [email-masked] (Mike McShan)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: CPCW-5 forwarded
Message-ID: <v01540b02af4b0e417616@[157.142.8.152]>

I sent Brian's review (CPCW-5 First Impressions) to QRP-L... I only post
this so that we don't all forward the message (that could make us
popular... ;-) )

Mike N5JKY
Edmond, OK

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 97 08:53:11 EST
From: [email-masked] (John Heck)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: DIAL COVERS
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Folks,
Say this article and thought it might be of use to some one.
John Heck

===================================================
In article [email-masked], Sally Molasky <[email-masked]> writes:
>If you need a plastic DIAL COVER for your radio, I custom-make these 
>hard-to-find items! For more information, please contact Rita at:
>[email-masked]
>Thank-you!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 14:38:31 EST
From: [email-masked] (Robert L Stolzle)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: ac5am: Info on Drake rigs etc.
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Hello again All,

Just a short message to thank everyone for the info on the Drake rigs
and for the very nice comments about my humble beginnings. 
I will be looking for a Drake rig with separate receiver and transmitter
as well as power supply. Any suggestions as to which will be appreciated.

Thanks Conard for the warm welcome and for the great list you 
have here. I will jump in the CB Sprint next week and let out a blast
so they will know I am there. Also saw a post on this list (I think)
saying something about 7050. Is that a glowbug or BA freq?
I have a 7050 crystal and would like to work some other glowbugs
on 40M.

73,

Bob,   AC5AM     

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 23:24:50 -0500 (EST)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Cabinet for 75A3
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Hello Glowbugs,

I would like to know if anyone has a cabinet for a Collins 75A3 receiver that
they would be willing to sell.  The cabinets for the 75A1, 75A2, 32V1, 32V2
and 32V3 would also work.  A friend of mine is in the process of restoring a
75A3 and he really would like to put it into a cabinet when he is finished.  

Thanks

Bill Gittere K2LNU

------------------------------

End of GLOWBUGS Digest 471
**************************