Subject: GLOWBUGS digest 482

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 03:06:36 GMT

GLOWBUGS Digest 482

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Re: 6T9er specifics
	by Scott Cowling <[email-masked]>
  2) Re: 6T9er specifics
	by Jeffrey Herman <[email-masked]>
  3) Major opportunity to start kit business
	by [email-masked] (William Hawkins)
  4) From The ARRL Letter, Vol 16, No 1
	by Bob Roehrig <[email-masked]>
  5) Re: Goodbye!
	by "Peter L. Demmer" <[email-masked]>
  6) Re: The 6T9'er
	by "Peter L. Demmer" <[email-masked]>
  7) Re: Goodbye!
	by Jeffrey Herman <[email-masked]>
  8) Re: Goodbye!
	by Doug <[email-masked]>
  9) Stainless steel wire
	by Murray Kelly <[email-masked]>

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 03:40:10 GMT
From: Scott Cowling <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: 6T9er specifics
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

At 15:44 3/20/97 GMT, you wrote:
<snip>

>This is a good rig for "modern" construction as it uses parts you can get
>from AES.  The 6T9 is cheap, and AES sells the uncommon Compactron sockets.
> The pi net caps are 365 pf and 1000 pf, which you can get by paralleling
>the sections of one of those 3-section variables AES sells. (They actually
>specify a 1000pf *trimmer*, but I don't know where you'd get one of those
>these days.) The circuit is very simple and you can build it small.
>
<snip>

Jeff,

You can get compression trimmers up to 1400pF in max C from Circuit
Specialists, 220 S Country Club Dr, Mesa, AZ.  For eveyone not living in the
Phoenix area,
P.O. Box 3047, Scottsdale, AZ 85271-3047.

Phone #800-528-1417 or 602-464-2485.  Or http://www.cir.com

Lots of chokes/coils and some HV (450V) electrolytics, too.  Good source for
some of the parts that Antique Electronic Supply doesn't have.

73,
Scotty WA2DFI
Tempe, AZ

"Still looking for a DX-100 to resurrect"

------------------------------

Date: 	Thu, 20 Mar 1997 18:45:35 -1000
From: Jeffrey Herman <[email-masked]>
To: Scott Cowling <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: 6T9er specifics
Message-ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95q.970320183940.24786B-100000@uhunix3>

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Scott Cowling wrote:
> You can get compression trimmers up to 1400pF in max C from Circuit

I used a compression trimmer in a vfo I built; it would take several
hours for it to "settle down" after an adjustment. I know a Pi-network
doesn't require the stability that a vfo does, but I'd try to avoid
using them in favor of a conventional trimmer.

Jeff KH2PZ

(FS: HW-16; make offer)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 23:41:23 -0600
From: [email-masked] (William Hawkins)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Major opportunity to start kit business
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Saw this on the BA list, but not here.  Seems to belong here, tho.

>From [email-masked] Thu Mar 20 22:42 CST 1997
>From: "Bill Richarz" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Military Surplus

Hello gang,

Picked this up on packet.  Maybe someone on the list
may be interested.  I do not know this person, just posting.

73 de Bill, N4DH

 ======== begin insert =======

Name here is Andrew, QTH is Clinton, NC.
(Southeast NC)

I have recently inheirited a warehouse full of new electronic parts.
There is NO way I could ever inventory all of them.

I have no desire to get into the parts business or to travel the Hamfests
to sell this stuff.  I would like to sell (or trade) all of them in a lot.
It will take a VERY large truck to move them.

I plan to do a partial inventory the first week in April.  I will be glad to
send you a copy of this inventory or you are welcome to come and inspect them.
I have to move them because the warehouse space has been rented.  I have
acquired some short term storage, but I need to move fast.

All of these parts are top quality MIL-SPEC stuff.  They were supplied to
ITT-Telecom for various low-band rigs, tuners, and amplifiers that were built
for the Navy before the Gov't cutbacks.  There are even some partially
assembles HF rigs and Emergency radios included in this stuff.

Also, thousands of resistors, capacitors, coils, chokes, large high voltage
variable caps, rack mount cases, water tight boxes, Simpson panel meters,
knobs, screws, switches and more more more........

I would consider trades.  I am willing to sell this stuff VERY cheap.
The only catch is, you must take it all.  Most of the parts are in boxes and
there are thousands on cardboard parts bins included.

This would be a once in a lifetime opportunity to someone.  This is the kind
of find you dream of that really sounds to good to be true.  But it is true.

I figure there is over $20,000 worth of parts in this stuff.
Naturally I don't want anywhere near this amount for it.  I am willing to
take trades too.  I will consider all offers.  Realistically, somewhere
around $2000.  This is very negotiable.

This stuff has got to go.  You will need a large truck, (big U-Haul might work)
to move it.  I can arrange help to load it if needed to make the deal.

These parts will be available for inspection the first week in April if you
want to come look at them, or you can save me from having to move them and
ENTER=continue, A=Abort, N=Next, C=cancel paging -->
take them as they are in large boxes with limited inspection.

Call me at 910-592-6072 after 6pm ET.

Sorry, first come on this stuff.  I have to move it out of the current
bulding by April 10 and my new storage space is only available for a limited
time.

73
Andrew

 ========== end insert =========

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:00:43 -0600 (CST)
From: Bob Roehrig <[email-masked]>
To: Boatanchors <[email-masked]>,
Subject: From The ARRL Letter, Vol 16, No 1
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

FYI this came across today..............

EIMAC SELLS GLASS-TUBE DIVISION

Eimac is out of the glass-tube business. The former Eimac glass-tube 
manufacturing facility has been sold and relocated from Salt Lake City, 
Utah, to Easton, Pennsylvania. The new company, Triton, moved the former 
Eimac plant "lock, stock and barrel" from Utah to Pennsylvania, said Mark 
Hoffman, a senior scientist at Triton. In all, it took 16 tractor-trailer 
loads to move the plant's manufacturing equipment and inventories across the 
country. For now, Triton is manufacturing 46 different Eimac and 
Westinghouse tube types, including the popular 3-500Z, 4-400A and 4-400C. 
Right now, Triton does not make the 6146, 572B, 811A or 4-1000A, but Hoffman 
did not rule out the possibility that the company may tool up to manufacture 
those tubes in the future. Triton also makes glass tube chimneys and 
sockets.

Hams interested in obtaining small quantities of Triton tubes should contact 
the company's distributor, Richardson Electronics, Lafox, Illinois; tel 
800-323-1770.

Eimac--recently purchased by an investment group, Communications and Power 
Industries--continues to make and rebuild ceramic external-anode tubes. It 
has been relocated to Palo Alto, California.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 11:54:20 -1000
From: "Peter L. Demmer" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Goodbye!
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Doug;
I remember the red/white waxed, double cotton covered bellwire, on a 7
point honey comb coil oh so well.  The circuit came from ARRL handbook,
"How To Become a Novice Ham Radio Operator, 1956.  I bread boarded the
Xmitter and PS (as per the instructions) atop the pine rails.  My first
Rig.  Thats when lolly pop sticks were made of real wood.  It even
worked on 20 meters (by mistake).  We could adjust the sliding link
coupling tune to any old antenna.  The matching?  In those days, what
matching?  I potted, redrilled to 1/4" and machined 4/40 set screws into
old tooth past tube caps for the Regen Receiver knobs.  The red ones
looked best.  The money or lack there of was always a consideration. 
But it was a joy to hammer away on 40, with a fellow ham across the
great pacific pond, all the way to California. Oh for the pure joy of
simple magic.  Thanks for the reminder. Aloha Peter

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 15:53:52 -1000
From: "Peter L. Demmer" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: The 6T9'er
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Jeff;
Was (or is) your circuit the 50C5 ckt. with the 25w voltage dropping
space heater resistor or the 117N7/117L7-GT lash up?  In my Aina Hina
days, I couldn't get the 117's, but the 50's were an easy find.  I
trashed out the resistor (heater), used a pair of the 50C5 in PP.  With
this I tried and used several of the 35 volt heater tubes for the (35Z5)
hi-vac. rect. and the 35DZ8 Pentode/Triode as OSC/Buffer with their
heaters wired in parallel.  This combination was then wired in series
with the two 50's heaters wired in series, ala via a big DPDT switch to
the Ready Kilowatt house buss (HECO).  I used the old .01 to.1  bathtub
decoupling caps and HB filment chokes.  These consisted of 30 turns of
#20 E wire on 1-1/2" long, loop stick antenna rod stock. These were
wired in series with each tube socket heater connection.  Once I got the
RF out of the HECO buss, my late Br-in-law KH6CLV and Nose, KH6IJ (SKs)
and I had a great time on forty CW.  I was a novice then and what the
heck did I know?  Hey, I got rid of the space heater, so long as HECO
didn't burp too much, it had a very nice note.  KH6IJ thought it was
better then sliced sushi.  Nose suggested the htr. RF chokes and bath
tub caps.  A year later, the xyl took pitty on me for my saving tooth
paste tube caps for knobs and lolly pop sticks (for PP/link/PP honey
comb tanks) and bought me an SX99/W spkr. CLV was into a Ranger and
Halli SX 101 and Nose was heavy into Collins. Three years came and went
by, as well as several 6L6's. Happy birthday, I got a big kit from
Heath.  A Marauder HX10.  Let the gud times glow Jeff. Aloha, Peter
KH6CTQ/ es AFA8AT ex WH6CTQ.

------------------------------

Date: 	Fri, 21 Mar 1997 16:11:09 -1000
From: Jeffrey Herman <[email-masked]>
To: "Peter L. Demmer" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Goodbye!
Message-ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95q.970321160914.27348C-100000@uhunix3>

On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, Peter L. Demmer wrote:
>   We could adjust the sliding link
> coupling tune to any old antenna.  The matching?  In those days, what
> matching?

I love it! Bring back those simple times.

73,
Jeff KH2PZ

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 19:32:43 -0700
From: Doug <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Goodbye!
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Hi again Peter....we could no doubt go on about this for a while, but
it's fun!  

My rig worked about as well on 20 as it did on 40 too....and thanks to
the OT's who brought that little detail to my attention.  Imagine my
thoughts when these two grey haired individuals appeared on my folk's
doorstep (I was 15 at the time) and asked to talk to the "Ham" in the
house.  They were so incredibly patient and kind...looked at the rig
nodding with understanding....then we went to work to fix it.  I was
amazed these fellow would take time to help me out of a mess, and then
show me some other tricks to get the little rig to load the antenna a
bit better...a #47 bulb...who'da thought of that?  After they got done,
I was informed of the local club and when it met...and I was off into
the world of sparks and ether...what a ride it's been.

One of the things I did was to frequent the local TV repair shop
to dredge up parts off of defunct sets laying out in the rain.  This
guy helped me with the color codes, even gave me a test and a chart to
learn it.  I kept coming home with treasures (my Dad saw it as JUNK) 
and stripped them for parts.  I've still got some of those in my
supplies.

The old red Bell wire was a prize to behold....got a roll of 100 ft
from a hardware store...and never saw any there again.  It came in 
handy though for the budding Ham and his fire breathing monsters.

It's been a great hobby and continues to be.  I hope we can all enjoy
it as much as we used to...maybe even more.  Help to the new guy and
parts when they need them, friendship and service....that's where we
came from and perhaps we can continue to go along those old roads...
we've done well so far.

My best to you Peter....73

Doug, K7YD
Livingston, MT

Peter L. Demmer wrote:
> 
> Doug;
> I remember the red/white waxed, double cotton covered bellwire, on a 7
> point honey comb coil oh so well.  The circuit came from ARRL handbook,
> "How To Become a Novice Ham Radio Operator, 1956.  I bread boarded the
> Xmitter and PS (as per the instructions) atop the pine rails.  My first
> Rig.  Thats when lolly pop sticks were made of real wood.  It even
> worked on 20 meters (by mistake).  We could adjust the sliding link
> coupling tune to any old antenna.  The matching?  In those days, what
> matching?  I potted, redrilled to 1/4" and machined 4/40 set screws into
> old tooth past tube caps for the Regen Receiver knobs.  The red ones
> looked best.  The money or lack there of was always a consideration.
> But it was a joy to hammer away on 40, with a fellow ham across the
> great pacific pond, all the way to California. Oh for the pure joy of
> simple magic.  Thanks for the reminder. Aloha Peter

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 12:51:38 +1000
From: Murray Kelly <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Stainless steel wire
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

What are the ins and outs of using stainless steel wire for RF?
I read that if it's magnetic it's poor for RF and conversely,
if it isn't magnetic it's OK.

I found some electric fence ribbon that is really strong. There 
are several different sorts but one is very like 300 ohm ribbon
but cheaper (~$25/200m) and hugely stronger. I kept busting the
ordinary kind, and gave it up.

There are multi strands (4-5 each side) and the DC resistance
of a short piece unmeasurable. I don't want to waste $$ buying
a roll if stainless is no good. Soldering might be problem,
altho not insurmountable.

Thoughts? TIA.
-- 
******************************************************************
*      Murray Kelly vk4aok      [email-masked]     *
*      29 Molonga Ter. / Graceville/ QLD. 4075/ Australia        *
*                   ph/fax Intl+ 61 7 3379 3307                  *
******************************************************************

------------------------------

End of GLOWBUGS Digest 482
**************************