Subject: GLOWBUGS digest 507

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 12:16:45 GMT

GLOWBUGS Digest 507

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) NO OLD HAM BOOKS
	by [email-masked] (Leon Wiltsey)
  2) Re: Historical Rado Gear?
	by [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 10:12:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked] (Leon Wiltsey)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: NO OLD HAM BOOKS
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

I reciently posted a requesr for a radio am habdbook vintage 
older than 19063 or so and offered to trade several 1970's 
manuals up to 3-1 for this older addition.  Come on guys I am
not a manual collector, I reaslly need this book.  I bought 1 older
manual from a man on the net.  However it is in very bad condition( I knew
this fact before I purchased it), It is a 1960 edition but the binding is
complerly shot and is falling apart.  It did alert me to what a great book
these were and all the good tube circuits
they contain.  Since my stroke I cannot build solid state projects.
I tried a TENTEK regen kit and it was a complete disaster.
( no way I could solder all those parts onto that small circuit board,) as I
have very poor hand to eye coordination.  ( working on nice old larger parts
is difficult enough
but with patience  I can manage it.)  So I am left with the situation that
it is old tube type equip or NOTHING.
 IF ANY OF YOU HAVE A 1963 OR OLDER (except a 1960) handbook you will part with
I sure could use it.  I will either pay you for it or am willing to trade 
up to 3-1 for it.  By the way my 3 tube regen on a old cake pan is working
just fine.

Adding a small var cap in series with the ant coil really helped, also a
diode noise limiter
 in the audio driver circuit. Its the 2 tube 6ag5 circuit I was sent by a
good fellow on the net  that came out in about 1963 and was featured in a
radio pub.( I think) I just added  1/2  of a 6sl7
 dou triode as a audio voltage amp to get more audio. I sure do appreciate
all the help I have received so far. please let me know by email and I will
get back to you quickly. THANKS !!!!

.  

Thank the good LORD for all that you have!!!

Leon B Wiltsey jr. (Lee)
4600 Lake Haven blvd...
Sebring fl 33872.............

68yr old retired  semi disabled senior
(stroke got my balance and coordination)
formerly w4kcj & kp4ryb ( till I quite) dumb dumb
play keyboard and sing
music 1920's to 60'
none of the 80'S- 90'S noise

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:08:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Historical Rado Gear?
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

> 
> Does anyone here know exactly what type of  wireless gear was carried aboard
> the Titanic and also on Amelia Earhart's plane? The literature describes the
> wireless activity associated with each of these events but we have yet to
> find any specific details about the equipment.
> 
> 73  Eric   KA1YRV
> 

The Titanic had a Marconi spark set (I am not sure of the exact model number)
and the receiver was a Marconi Universal Tuner, if my memory is not too
faulty.  It was good, but standard shipboard gear of the era.  The receiver
is covered in Bucher's Practical Wireless Telegraphy, 1917 edition.  Similar
transmitters are also covered there, but I dunno if the actual model of
the Titanic is covered.

The stuff you see in the movies is only so-so close, at best.

That is all I know (and that is not too much).

Bob/NA4G

------------------------------

End of GLOWBUGS Digest 507
**************************