Subject: American Farmland Trust Applauds Appointment of Rominger at USDA

From: [email-masked] (Nigel Allen)
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1993 00:05:44 GMT

Here is a press release from American Farmland Trust.

 American Farmland Trust Applauds Appointment of Rominger at USDA
 To: National Desk, Agriculture Writer
 Contact: Gary Kozel, 202-659-5170 or 202-466-5591; or
          Ralph Grossi, 301-774-1503, of American Farmland Trust

   WASHINGTON, March 8 /U.S. Newswire/ -- American Farmland Trust, a
national farmland conservation group based in Washington, today
commended the selection of Richard E. Rominger as deputy secretary of
the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
   Rominger, a fourth-generation northern California farmer, served
as director of the California Department of Food and Agriculture from
1977 to 1982.  He recently was named the Golden State's
Agriculturalist of the Year.
   "Rich Rominger is an excellent choice for this key position within
USDA," said AFT President Ralph E. Grossi.  "He has been involved in
agriculture since childhood, knows the issues and brings a strong
commitment to agricultural research and conservation.  We believe he
will make a fine deputy secretary, and we look forward to working
with him and his staff."
   Rominger farms with his brother, sons and nephews on a 6,000-acre
diversified ranch near Winters, Calif.  He grew up on a Yolo County
farm and received a bachelor's degree, summa cum laude, in plant
science from the University of California in Davis.  In recent years,
he has served as vice chairman of AFT's board and chairman of its
policy committee.  AFT is a private, nonprofit membership
organization working to stop the loss of productive farmland and
promote farming practices that will lead to a healthy environment.
   Rominger, Grossi added, strengthens the new administration's
agricultural team because of his California experience.  "California
is a microcosm of the nationwide issues faced by the USDA," he said.
"Rich's experience in tackling tough trade, environmental and
consumer issues and his commitment to the protection of America's
farmland and the principle of sustainability will be valuable assets
to Secretary Espy."
   American Farmland Trust is a private, nonprofit membership
organization founded in 1980 to stop the loss of productive farmland
and promote farming practices that will lead to a healthy
environment.  AFT is located at 1920 N Street, N.W., Suite 400,
Washington, D.C. 20036.  Minimum annual membership is $20.
 -30-
-- 
Nigel Allen, Toronto, Ontario, Canada    [email-masked]