Subject: American Farmland Trust Calls For Start of "Green Evolution"

From: "nigel allen" <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Mar 93 19:02:49 EST

Here is a press release from American Farmland Trust.

 American Farmland Trust Calls For Start of "Green Evolution"
 To: National Desk, Farm and Environment  Writers
 Contact: Gary Kozel of American Farmland Trust, 202-659-5170 or
          816-474-4400

   KANSAS CITY, Mo., March 16  -- Asserting that the status quo 
in U.S. agriculture can no longer be maintained, American
Farmland Trust President Ralph E. Grossi today called on farmers to
work toward a "green evolution" based on resource stewardship and
marketplace economics.
   Grossi told a national forum on future U.S. agricultural
conservation policy that the long-term sustainability of today's
agricultural system is threatened by a deteriorating natural resource
base, ever-rising production costs, the prospect of stronger
regulatory control and other factors.  Producers, he said, must find
a better way.
   "Agriculture must engage in a broad effort to help change the
status quo," contended Grossi, a third-generation farmer who has
headed AFT, a Washington-based farmland conservation group, since
1985.  "It must promote a farming system that is in harmony with the
environment.  A farming system that supports producers as good
stewards of the land.  A system that is affordable to the U.S.
Treasury.  And a system that results in genuine economic efficiency
and competitiveness in the production of food and fiber for an open
and changing global marketplace.  In short, a farming system that is
more sustainable than today's."
   Such a system, Grossi explained, will require significant change
on the part of producers and what he called a "deliberate and gradual
shift in priorities."  Among them would be:
   Recognizing that problems of agriculture cannot be successfully
addressed unless producers and consumers cooperate in good faith.
"Production agriculture should no longer try to belittle the impact
of farming on the environment nor exaggerate the effect of
regulations on farmers," he said.  "Consumers should not expect
producers to sacrifice their property rights or shoulder the entire
cost of protecting the environment."
   Adopting a new generation of direct conservation incentives that
reward producers for protecting environmental resources like highly
erodible soils, wetlands, critical wildlife habitat, sensitive
watersheds and strategic farmlands.
   "These incentives could gradually replace traditional commodity
programs as a source of farm income support, guaranteeing U.S. food
security by protecting both the production infrastructure and
resource base that represent America's greatest competitive
advantage," Grossi said.  "(Otherwise, if we) try to maintain the
status quo, we will probably see government farm program support
continue to decline in the face of budgetary realities and
diminishing public support for agriculture."
   Focusing more attention on urban-fringe agriculture.  Fifty-eight
percent of total U.S. agricultural production, he noted, comes from
counties in or beside major cities, where the threat of conversion is
greatest.  Much of this farmland is prime and unique.  "If we cut the
legs out from under those who farm on the fringe, they will not
simply be absorbed by larger producers as they would in rural areas,"
he said.  "They will sell their land for subdivisions and shopping
malls.  The resource base -- particularly those strategic unique
specialty lands -- will forever be lost."
   Grossi said that only by undertaking such fundamental changes in
direction, can agriculture remain economically competitive and meet
society's environmental expectations.  "We believe that by sharing
responsibility of stewardship between farmers and the public, taking
a balanced approach to land use with an emphasis on incentives and
protecting the most productive farmland from surburbanization, we
will strike a responsive chord," he said.  "A response that will
build a cooperative atmosphere for the 21st century."
   American Farmland Trust is a national, nonprofit membership
organization that is working to stop the loss of productive farmland
and to promote farming practices that will lead to a healthy
environment.  Its national office is at 1920 N Street, N.W.,
Suite 400, Washington, D.C. 20036.  Minimum annual membership is $20.
 -30-
--
Canada Remote Systems - Toronto, Ontario
416-629-7000/629-7044