Subject: Re: Burning stumps with KNO3?

From: [email-masked] (Anmar Caves)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1993 18:31:58 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Bill Faus) writes:
>Speaking of obnoxious stumps, has anyone had any luck
>with getting an old stump to absorb potassium nitrate
>and then getting the stump to burn like a cigarette.
>
>I've tried mixing up potassium nitrate and water
>and leave about a quart of the stuff in a cutout 
>in the stump, but it doesn't seem to improve
>burning all that much.
>
>Any tips from the expert stump busters out there?
>(We're talking 24"-48" fir/oak stumps.)

Drill a bunch of large diameter holes fairly shallow on top of the
stump, and one in the center that goes below ground level.  The idea
here is that the end of the grain in the wood will absorb the liquid
and run it throughout via capillary action faster that it will from a
center "pit".  Also, if the stump was cut down in the last year or so
it may not absorb liquid as readily because the roots will still be
sending sap up.  In that case the ideal time to soak it is in the
fall.  After you put ~10lbs or so of KNO3 in the stump and it's had a
while to dry you then drill several "vent" holes in the sides that
intersect the base and take a propane torch to the vent holes and the
top center one and the stump will literally eat itself.

I don't personally like burning em out.  I prefer to dig, blast, or
cut them out.  A seperate chain and bar for the saw that is only used
to cut out stumps is a must because they'll wear very fast.  I can
take out a 24" stump in a couple hours of very hard work by digging
and chopping, less if I use the saw.  Blasting is faster yet, but
impractical around buildings and the like.

-- 
Anmar Mirza   # Chief of Tranquility  #My Opinions! NotIU's!#CIANSAKGBFBI
EMT-D         # Base, Lawrence Co. IN # Legalize Explosives!#ASSASINATEDEA
N9ISY (tech)  # Somewhere out on the  # Politicians prefer  #NAZIPLUTONIUM
Networks Tech.# Mirza Ranch.C'mon over# unarmed peasants.   #PRESIDENTFEMA