Subject: Rural Sources: Miscellaneous (4 of 6)

From: [email-masked] (Dave Sill)
Date: 4 Mar 1993 16:26:15 GMT

Guard Dogs
    The people who know the most about guard dogs in the U.S. are Ray
    and Lorna Coppinger, New England Farm Center, Hampshire College,
    Amherst, MA 01002, phone (413) 253-7065.
    
    The other major source of Guard Dog info is the USDA Sheep
    Experiment Station, Dubois, Idaho 83423. Both places have
    inexpensive and/or free bulletins about guard dogs.
    
    The only feature I've done on guard dogs was for the Spring 1988
    Edition of Small Farmer's Journal. Copies of the article are
    available from SFJ, PO Box 2805, Eugene, OR 97402, for $1,
    (includes postage and handling). Specify "The Ultimate Predator
    Control", by Linda Fink, p. 29, Spring, Vol. 12, No. 2.
    
County Agents    
    The Agent has lots of federal and state publications, and knows a
    heck of a lot about agriculture in the local area.

    A very good resource is the County Cooperative Extension Office.
    They have a lot of good information on growing crops, raising beef
    cattle, etc.

    This office was set up to service rural areas and the 4H program
    is usually under their supervision, but they offer all kinds of
    various and interesting workshops, pamphlets on insect and weed
    control, cultivation tips, etc.
    
The Feed Store

Local Soil and Water Conservation Office
    A great place to get really nice CHEAP seedling trees, info on all
    aspects of your areas soil and water.  I contacted them for
    information on No-till farming since a visiting Chinese economics
    professor expressed an interest.  So now the literature is on it's
    way to CHINA!!

Monticello (Thos. Jefferson's home)
    (804) 295-8181

    "Have done extyensive research and preservation of antique
    apples."  Donald Bowen

AQUA-L
    Aquaculture mailing list.

    Listname:   AQUA-L
    Listserver (Internet): [email-masked] or
		[email-masked]
    Listserver (Bitnet):   LISTSERV@UOGUELPH
    Moderator: T. B. (Ted) White

BEE-L
    Beekeeping mailing list.

    "There is a listserv for persons interested in bee biology and
    practical bee keeping.  To subscribe to the list send an e-mail
    message to

    [email-masked]

    no subject line, and the text should read:  

    SUBSCRIBE BEE-L your name

    Bee keepers and scientists from several countries participate in
    the list, and some extension agencies post regularly."  Gene
    Spears

-- 
Dave Sill
Play: [email-masked]
Work: [email-masked]