Subject: Rural Health Care; Media Tour of San Carlos Apache Reservation

From: [email-masked] (Nigel Allen)
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1993 23:59:51 GMT

Here is a press release from the American Medical Association.

 AMA Minority Committee to Examine Problems of Rural Health Care;
Media Tour of San Carlos Apache Reservation March 26
 To: Assignment Desk, Medical and Healthcare writers
 Contact: Lydia Steck of the American Medical Association,
          312-464-5372

   News Advisory:

   Who:    The American Medical Association's Advisory Committee on
           Minority Physicians, which was established to address
           issues that affect minority doctors and to pinpoint
           health needs of minority patients

   What:   The media will have a unique opportunity to visit the
           San Carlos Apache Reservation in Globe, Ariz.  Hosted
           by committee member Victoria Stevens, M.D., an orthopedic
           surgeon who practices on the reservation, the group
           will tour the community and meet its residents.  They
           will also see the federally-run Indian Health Service
           and participate in a free-forum discussion with local
           physicians and residents about the health care problems
           of rural communities.

   When:   Friday, March 26

   Where:  A bus will depart from the Wyndham Garden Airport Hotel,
           Phoenix, Ariz., at 6:30 a.m., and will return from Globe,
           Ariz., Friday evening about 6:30 p.m.

   Details:
   This site visit will give the media a first-hand look at life in
rural America and the health care hurdles residents face including
access, availability and proximity of care.
   For more information, or to register for the one-day trip,
contact: Lydia Steck, public information officer, American Medical
Association, 312-464-5372.

 -30-
-- 
Nigel Allen, Toronto, Ontario, Canada    [email-masked]