Subject: President Clinton nominates officials at Agriculture Department

From: [email-masked] (Nigel Allen)
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1993 00:02:04 GMT

Here is a press release from the White House.

 President Nominates Officials at Agriculture, Commerce, HUD, and UN
 To: National Desk
 Contact: The White House, Office of the Press Secretary,
          202-456-2100

   WASHINGTON, March 8  -- The President continued the
process of filling the subcabinet today, expressing his intent to
nominate eight senior officials at the Departments of Agriculture,
Commerce, and Housing and Urban Development, and at the U.S. Mission
to the United Nations.
   Named today were:
   * Michael Stegman, Assistant Secretary for Policy Development and
Research, Department of Housing and Urban Development.
   * Everett Ehrlich, Under Secretary for Economic Affairs,
Department of Commerce.
   * Eugene Moos, Under Secretary for International Affairs and
Commodity Programs, Department of Agriculture.
   * Richard Rominger, Deputy Secretary of Agriculture.
   * Wardell Townsend, Jr., Assistant Secretary for Administration,
Department of Agriculture.
   * Francis Vacca, Assistant Secretary for Congressional Relations,
Department of Agriculture.
   * Victor Marrero, U.S. Representative to the Economic and Security
Council, United Nations.
   * Karl F. (Rick) Indefurth, U.S. Alternative for Special Political
Affairs, United Nations.
   "The people I am asking to serve in my administration today
combine academic achievement with real world experience," said the
President.  "I am particularly pleased to be naming two family
farmers to help run the Department of Agriculture."
   Biographical sketches of the nominees follow.
   ------
                  BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF NOMINEES
                            March 8, 1993

   MICHAEL STEGMAN is the Cary C. Boshamer Professor and Chairman of
the Department of of City and Regional Planning at the University of
North Carolina at Chapel Hill.  He has been associated with UNC since
1973.  He also has extensive practical experience in the housing
field.  He was executive director of the Twentieth Century Fund Task
Force on Affordable Housing in 1990-91, and is a consultant and
expert witness to the Legal Aid Society of New York and president of
the Triangle Housing Partnership.  He was deputy assistant secretary
for research at HUD from 1979-81, during which time he chaired the
President's Rural Housing Task Force and was a member of the White
House Inter-Agency Working Group on the Administration's Small
Communities and Rural Development Policy.  He holds a B.A. from
Brooklyn College of the City University of New York, and masters and
doctoral degrees in city planning from the University of
Pennsylvania.

   EVERTT EHRLICH, an expert in economic forecasting and policy
planning, is the Vice President for Economic and Financial Planning
for the UNISYS Corp.  He has previously held UNISYS vice president
posts responsible for Strategy Development and Economic Analysis.
>From 1977 to 1988, he served on the staff of the Congressional Budget
Office's Natural Resources and Commerce Division as principal
analyst, deputy assistant director, and then assistant director.  He
holds degrees in economics from the State University of New York at
Stony Brook (B.A.) and the University of Michigan (Ph.D), and is the
co- author of two books, New Directions in Economic Policy (1984) and
Energy Policy Analysis and Congressional Action (1982).

   GENE MOOS, a former Congressional staffer with 26 years of
experience running a family farm, is the President of Gene Moos &
Associates, a Washington, D.C. lobbying firm.  He was formerly a
special assistant to then-House Majority Leader Thomas S. Foley,
staff director of the Wheat, Soybeans and Feed Grains Subcommittee of
the House Agriculture Committee, and senior staff professional of the
House Agriculture Committee.  From 1949-1975, he operated his
family's wheat farm in Washington.  He is a graduate of Washington
State University.

   RICHARD ROMINGER is a family farmer who raises alfalfa, barley,
beans, corn and other crops in California.  He has previously served
in government as director of the California Department of Food and
Agriculture from 1977 to 1982.  During that time, he served terms as
president of the Western Association of State Departments of
Agriculture and the Western U.S. Agricultural Trade Association.  He
was also on the board of directors of the National Association of
State Departments of Agriculture, and is active in a number of
professional agricultural associations.  He holds a Bachelor of
Science degree from the University of California at Davis.

   WARDELL TOWNSEND has served Secretary Espy as administrative
assistant and chief of staff in his House of Representatives office
since 1989.  He was previously Espy's legislative director, and
served on the staffs of Reps. Jamie Clarke and Doug Applegate.  He
has also served as the business development manager of the Cherokee
Minority Business Development Center and the community development
director of the Henderson County, N.C., Department of Community
Development.  He holds a B.S.  from Western Carolina University and a
M.S.W. from the West Virginia University School of Social Work.

   FRANICS VACCA is the president of Vacca and Associates, a private
consulting firm in Washington, D.C., that specializes in agricultural
issues.  From 1976 to 1990, he was the vice president for government
relations for Mid-America Dairymen Inc.  He has also served as
administrative assistant to Rep. Bob Traxler and California Assembly
Minority Leader Jesse Unruh.  He is a graduate of Boston College.

   VICTOR MARRERO, the Under Secretary of HUD during the Carter
administration and former New York State commissioner of housing and
community renewal, is a partner in the New York City law firm of
Brown & Wood.  He has also served as vice chairman of the New York
State Housing Finance Agency, chairman of the New York City Planning
Commission, and as first assistant counsel to New York Gov. Hugh
Carey and New York City Comptroller Harrison Goldin.  He has served
on numerous state and city boards and commissions, and on the boards
of the New York Telephone Co.  and the Consolidated Edison Co.  A
native of Puerto Rico and former Fullbright Scholar, Marrero is a
graduate of New York University.

   RICK INDEFURTH is a project director at the Center for National
Policy, a senior consultant to the Eurasia Foundation, and a working
group member at the Georgetown University Institute for the Study of
Diplomacy.  He was formerly a professional staff member of the Senate
Select Committee on Intelligence, special assistant to National
Security Advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski, and deputy staff director of
the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.  He also worked as a
correspondent for ABC News, where he won an Emmy Award for
Outstanding Background Analysis of a Single Current Story.  A former
Fullbright Scholar, Indefurth holds degrees from the University of
North Carolina, Strathclvde University in Scotland, and Princeton
University.
 -0-
 /U.S. Newswire  202-347-2770/

-- 
Nigel Allen, Toronto, Ontario, Canada    [email-masked]