Subject: Agriculture Stabilization and Conservation Service (ASCS): NTEU Wins Right to Represent Major Agriculture Unit

From: "nigel allen" <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Mar 93 08:27:28 EST

Here is a press release from the National Treasury
Employees Union (NTEU).

 NTEU Wins Right to Represent Major Agriculture Unit
 To: National Desk, Labor Writer
 Contact: George King of the National Treasury Employees Union,
          202-783-4444, 703-849-8737 (after hours)

   WASHINGTON, March 12  -- The National Treasury Employees 
Union (NTEU) has won the right to represent employees of
the Kansas City, Mo., based Agriculture Stabilization and
Conservation Service (ASCS), according to Robert M. Tobias, NTEU
president.
   In what Tobias termed a "stunning" voter turnout, 80 percent of
the ASCS employees participated in the Feb. 11 election.  Employees
voted 472-418 for NTEU.
   Tobias said the victory came about despite an intense effort by
management to get out the "No" vote.  "Management used various
tactics to exploit some employees' fears of unions," he said.
   The NTEU leader said the organizing effort began two years ago as
employees became more and more frustrated with inconsistent work
rules in different divisions of the service.
 -30-
--
Canada Remote Systems - Toronto, Ontario
416-629-7000/629-7044