Subject: Re: deer

From: dartvax!flashmag!waltervj
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 93 20:46:11 EST

In article <[email-masked]> (misc.rural), [email-masked] (Charlotte I. Tubis) writes:
> 
> I live in the woods and two deer are on my driveway every morning.
> How can I get rid of the deer without killing them?

A dog, preferably large and well trained, will tend to keep deer back
away from the house and out of gardens. Gardens are most people's
problem with dear. In the above I said large because some people
in the past have mentioned that the deer in their area ignore their
small dogs. We have a large dog and he keeps the deer, coons, cats,
bears, and humans at respectable distance from the house. (He's tied
unless we are outside or able to monitor him although he also tends
to stay right around the house). Well trained so he does stay around
the house and does _not_ bark excessively. A dog that barks in appropriately
is a problem. Train your dog not to bark except at specific, near things.
You, he, the neighbors, and the wildlife will all be happier. While
your at it train him to obey verbal commands such as heel, stay, sit,
down, etc. If you're lucky he'll also train you so the communications
can be two way. Training is hard work that can take many months or
even years but is well worth the effort.