Subject: Re: Vermi-Composting

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1993 13:42:29 EST

> From: [email-masked]
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

> Does anyone out there "Vermi-compost?

> Just curious.

> Thanks
> Kelly

I'v been "raising" worms for about a year now in the basement of my house.
So far, the little critters have done ok and the cats have left the boxes
alone.  I built two boxes from 1"x6" boards.  I use one for a while until it
gets filled, and then move the worms to the other box and let the first box
sit and cook for a while longer.  After a month or so, I empty the box and
let it dry out before using again.

I've never sold worms.  I just let them die a natural death and become
a part of the compost.

My house plants seem to like the compost and I planted my saffron
crocuses in a mix of garden soil and worm compost.  They have done great.

I have not had a problem with worm tea, but I cover with a black plastic
trash bag so some moisture escapes that way.  Some also escapes out the
bottom where the boards meet.  I raised the boxes slightly and they sit near
one of the floor drains.  I have not noticed any mositure on the floor.

You may have more of a concern with this being in an apartment.  I believe
Real Goods sells a worm compost box with a spout to remove worm tea.  This
could then be added to plants as fertilzer.  You might give them a call at
(800)762-7325 and ask for a catalogue.

I use a mixed bedding: chopped up pizza boxes, a *very* little manure, a
little dirt, some peat moss and some shredded newspaper.  The pizza boxes
because I work with a group of students at Penn State who eat much late
night pizza and I hated seeing the waste basket full of unrecycled material.
The worms do not seem to be affected by it.  I use this strange combo,
because that is what I had on hand the first time and it seems to work.

Best of luck.

Margaret

---

From: [email-masked] (Audrey Ishizaki)
Date: 15 Nov 1993 12:22:23 -0800

I've used worms to eat my kitchen scraps for several years, now.  I've used
a couple of different methods.  I live in California (SF Bay area), which
has mild winters (rarely freezes).  I've come to keep my worms outside, in
home-made worm boxes.  I get a problem with fruit-flies when I keep them
indoors.  How do others avoid this problem?

I've used shredded newspaper/computer paper (I used the office shredder -
very easy and cheap!) as filler, but now used peat moss (bought at the
garden supply store) (be sure to pre-moisten the peat).  I've used
styrofoam coolers (with air holes drilled in the tops), but they chipped
after a while.  I've also used styrofoam "chests" used to transport frozen
seafood, which worked better.  I'm now experimenting with a plastic box
with holes drilled into the bottom (to encourage the worms to aereate the
soil beneath my box (I plan to move it periodically in my garden).  After
I dump the kitchen scraps in the box, I sprinkle the peat over the top
(to help cover the food scraps and to accelerate the rotting - worms like
their food soft - not much teeth!).

I had to devise a "lock" for my box, too, to prevent my dog from unwanted
entry (I used plastic locking ties and a couple of clips).  He can't open
the box any longer, but he sometimes knocks it over.

I'm really happy having worms to "compost" my kitchen scraps - especially
during the winter, when I don't want to walk all the way out to the compost
bins.

audrey ishizaki