Subject: Re: emergency generators

From: [email-masked] (John Cooley)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1993 17:17:14 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] 
(Rick Gordon) writes:
>I'm looking for a backup power generator, something in the 5KW range or

>What kind (manufacturer) of generator have people found to be the most
>reliable, most maintainable, and generally of sound design and manufacture?

>I've had recommendations towards Kubota and Honda, but they are pricey -
>are they worth it? 

I have a Honda that I bought used.  I friend of mine used it as supplemental
power for a house off the grid powered primarily by PVs.

The word from the power equipment place is that Honda makes a good back-up
unit, but Kohler is better as a primary source of power, and Onan is
better yet.

My 4.5KW Honda works well for backup simply because it starts easily after
sitting for months.  I keep a 5-gallon can of gas for it.  Every so often
I pour it into the truck and refill it so the gas doesn't get stale.

Our house is wired with a 50 amp subpanel which powers the water pump,
microwave, refrigerator, freezer and a few lights.  A double-pole switch
inside the house controls whether the subpanel gets its power from the
main panel (and thus the grid) or from a plug on the outside of the house.

To use the generator, I roll it out the basement door, plug it into the
house, throw the switch to middle position, start the generator, throw
the switch to "plug" position, and we're in business.  Water is especially
important.

             John Cooley

---

From: [email-masked] (Marc T. Kaufman)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1993 17:25:32 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Rick Gordon) writes:
>are they worth it? I've had warnings against Coleman & Generac - are they
>warranted?

I have a 15 KVA Generac permanently wired into my house, with an automatic
transfer switch.  It has given me no problems in 8 years of use.  I can't
speak to the smaller units, but in general Generac isn't cheap.