Subject: Rural community revitalization

From: [email-masked] (Nigel Allen)
Date: 23 Jan 1994 10:31:12 -0500

Here is a press release from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
I downloaded the press release from the PR On-Line BBS in
Maryland at 410-363-0834. I do not work for the U.S. government.

 Rural Areas to Benefit from President's Community Revitalization
Program Says USDA; Espy to Designate Three Zones, 30 Communities
 To: National Desk, Agriculture Writer
 Contact: Steve Kinsella or Mary Dixon, 202-720-4623, both of the
          U.S. Department of Agriculture

   WASHINGTON, Jan. 17 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Agriculture Secretary
Mike Espy today joined President Clinton at the White House to
launch the application process for the administration's Empowerment
Zones and Enterprise Communities (EZ/EC) revitalization program.
   "President Clinton is committed to making our communities
vibrant with job opportunities for all," said Espy. "We know that
America works when Americans work.  The Empowerment Zones and
Enterprise Communities will bring together all segments in an
area -- from government officials, to business leaders, to church
leaders and to nonprofit organizers.  All will have the common goal
of revitalizing their communities and creating jobs.
   "Because this program is built around strategic planning
development by rural communities, it will help them achieve their own
vision for the kind of community they want to have in the 21st
Century."
   Three Empowerment Zones and 30 Enterprise Communities will be
designated specifically for rural areas after a competitive
application process.  The rural designations will be made by Espy.
The six Empowerment Zones and 65 Enterprise Community designations
for urban areas will be made by Housing and Urban Development
Secretary Henry G. Cisneros.
   All designations will be made in consultation with the
President's Community Enterprise Board, comprised of Cabinet members
and advisors to the President on domestic issues.  The board is
chaired by Vice President Gore.
   Empowerment Zones and Enterprise Communities will receive
special consideration for various federal programs and other
assistance, including social service block grants, new tax exempt
Facility Bonds, tax breaks for employment, and other special
consideration for existing federal programs.
   The difference in the benefits for Empowerment Zones and
Enterprise Communities is that Empowerment Zones will qualify for tax
credits for each worker who resides in the zones; Section 179
expending is increased; and grants are substantially larger.
   One special feature in the EZ/EC program will benefit the
areas that apply but are not designated.  Communities that apply but
are not chosen will qualify for assistance in seeking regulation
waivers for federal programs and if there is a Community Development
Corporation within the jurisdiction, that corporation can qualify to
receive tax preferred contributions from donors.  Eight CDCs in
rural areas will be selected under this separate program.
   To apply for a designation under the EZ/EC program,
comprehensive strategic plans must be submitted.  The plans must
emphasize four principles: 1. Economic opportunity, including job
creation; 2. Community development, including comprehensive
approaches to access to affordable housing, human services, economic
development, public safety and a clean environment; 3. Community
partnership, involving participation of all segments of the
community; and 4. Strategic vision for change, identifying clear
goals for the community.
   Poverty, unemployment and other need factors will be critical
in determining eligibility but play a less significant role than the
four key principles.
   "This is not government as usual," said Under Secretary of
Agriculture Bob Nash, who helped to create and who will oversee the
program at USDA.  "The development program provides a means for rural
towns and regions to work together to develop their own plans to
overcome poverty, unemployment and other social problems.
   "President Clinton's EZ/EC program is one more way in which we
are reinventing the federal government to be more responsive to
community con- cerns."
   Applications for the EZ/EC program will require communities to
submit very few forms.  Instead, the key will be a comprehensive
development plan that involves community residents, local and state
governments, nonprofit and private sector groups and organizations,
regional planning agencies, and other private and public entities.
   In the spirit of Vice President Gore's goal to make government
and information more accessible to Americans all across the nation,
USDA will use the Internet Mail System to receive questions and
inquiries for more information on the EZ/EC program. Rural and
urban communities may receive information or applications from
Internet by sending a message to [email-masked].
   People interested in receiving a copy of an application or
getting more details about the program should contact a state office
of the Farmers Home Administration or call 202-690-1045. The deadline
to apply will be 4 p.m. EDT, Thursday, June 30. Applications may be
mailed or hand-delivered. Rural applications should be mailed to:
USDA, Rural Development Administration, EZ/EC Team, Room 5405, 14th
and Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C.  20250-3200.
   Interested individuals or groups are encouraged to attend one
of the workshops on the application process being held around the
country.  The rural workshops will be held in Charleston, W.Va.,
Feb. 8; Lumberton, N.C., Feb. 9; McAllen, Texas, Feb. 11; Greenville,
Miss., Feb. 14; Las Vegas, N.M., Feb. 17; Atlanta, Ga., Feb. 23; and
Kansas City, Mo., Feb. 28.  For information about the workshops, call
1-800-645-4712 (fax 806-894-0340).
    ------
   Editors:  Not all computer systems recognize the "at" sign.
It is an important part of the e-mail address listed above and
should be replaced for the question mark in the following example:
   info?ezec.usda.gov

 -0-
 /U.S. Newswire  202-347-2770 [voice]/