Subject: Detached Exterior Wood Stoves

From: [email-masked] (Barry Andreasen - Sun BOS Hardware)
Date: 11 Nov 1993 21:19:42 GMT

On a recent trip to visit relatives in up-state New York, I saw
several farms with strange outbuildings beside their milking parlors,
and even the farmhouses.  When I asked I was told that these were wood
stoves that were used to heat the nearby buildings.
It seems that these setups heat either water or air that is then pipe
to the nearby buildings (in insulated carriers of course).  There were
several intriquing aspects of this.  First off, the insurance premiums
decreased tremendously since they required no additional protection
for the stove.  Secondly, there was no more hauling wood in from
outside and generating a mess in the house/milking parlor from the
wood burning activity.  The models I saw were also tremendous in size,
and could easily handle a 3-4' length.  Last, the stoves were equipped
with blowers that were connected to internal thermostats which
regulated the heat transferred to the building as well as the dampers
on the fire itself. 
The obvious downside was the reliance on power and the reduced
efficiency.

My question is does anyone have any real information on these.  The
ones I saw were built by a company called Taylor.  I don't know where
they are from, or if there are any other companies or models
available.  I am interested in one of these for my home and would like
to find out about their efficiency, cost, and anything else.
TIA
-barry andreasen
-- 
                                                       ___
    o       /------------------------------------/    /  / __          
   _-\ _ ~~< [email-masked] <    /--<  _/ /- /- / /
  (*)<(*)   \------------------------------------\  /___/ (_)/  /  /_/ 
                                                              ______/
***********************************************************************
I said it, perhaps I meant it, but regardless, I speak only for myself!
***********************************************************************