Subject: Re: looking for barn paint recipe

From: [email-masked] (Steve Thomas)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 07:59:05 GMT

In <[email-masked]>,  ([email-masked] (TOM
WAGNER, GURU OF OLD STUFF AND SUPREME COLLECTOR)) wrote:

>>>
>>>I'm interested in getting the raw ingredients and mixing them myself,
>>>but I can't find any recipes for "barn paint".  Anyone?
>>>
>>>Don Libes  <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> The cheapest way to get paint in my experience has been to go to one of 
>> the contracters' paint stores in town and ask about miss-tints.  They
>> often have large quanaties of a color.  Sometimes there is quite a choice
>> depending on the time of year.  I usualy pay about $20 for a 5 gallon
>> bucket sometimes less.  I have painted my entire house inside and out
>> for about $50.
>For years we did the roof every second year with Gray Barn Paint.  Last year I
>bought 15 gallons of the stuff at the local hardware.  It is a linseed oil 
>base, takes forever to dry but is as hard as nails.  I did the deck on the 
>patio with it.  I remember the farmers didn't really care what the base of it
>was in my neck of the woods, they thinned it with kerosene... When I get home I
>will look up my old "fortune in formulas" book (circa 1930) and if the formula
>is there I will post it.-- 

Looked in my Stark Formula Manual. No recipe for red barn paint, but
there is one for whitewash. Well, there *are* a lot of white barns, at
least around here.

For each gallon of water, dissolve 2 pounds of sodium chloride in it,
and then slowly stir in 7 pounds of hydrated lime.
__________Steve Thomas___________________Paulding, Ohio______________________
  "Peg O'Connell died today. 
   She was a cheeky girl, a flirt, they just shoved her in a hole! 
   Surely to God you'd think at least some bells should ring! 
   One day I'm going to die here too, and they'll plant me in the dirt 
   like some lame bulb that never blooms come any spring."
     - Magdalene Laundries [Joni Mitchell's Turbulent Indigo CD]
_____________________________________________________________________________