Subject: Is CCA PT lumber OK for [PT Lumber faq2-Consumer Information Sheet]

From: [email-masked] (Jim Mcnelly)
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 94 13:06:00 +0600

Doug Caprette asks:

D>Hmm, I get the impression that I may have just missed a discussion on this
 >topic.

D>Anyway, can anyone provide some informed opinion as to whether there would be
 >any problems anticipated with the use of Chromated copper arsenate treated
 >lumber for a grape arbor?

Here is the Consumer Information Sheet about pressure treated
wood that I received from the American Wood Preserver's
Association, PO Box 5283, Springfield, VA 22150 that is SUPPOSED
to be provided to every purchaser of CCA, ACA, and ACZA treated
wood. This is exactly as it appears without editing.

"This wood has been preserved by pressure treatment with an EPA
registered pesticide containing inorganic arsenic to protect it from
insect attack and decay. Wood treated with inorganic arsenic should be
used only where such protection is important. Inorganic arsenic
penetrates deeply and remains in the pressure treated wood for a long
time. Exposure to inorganic arsenic may present certain hazards.
Therefore, the following precautions should be taken when handling the
treated wood and in determining where to use or dispose of the treated
wood.

USE SITE PRECAUTIONS Wood pressure treated with waterborne
arsenical preservatives may be used inside residences as long as all
sawdust and construction debris are cleaned up and disposed after
construction. Do not use treated wood under circumstances where the
preservative may become a component of food or animal feed. Examples for
such sites would be structures or containers for storing silage or food.
Do not use treated wood for cutting boards or counter tops. Only treated
wood that is visibly clean and free of surface residue should be used
for patios, decks, and walkways. Do not use treated wood for
construction of beehives that may come in contact with honey. Treated
wood should not be used where it may come into direct or indirect
contact with public drinking water, except for uses involving incidental
contact such as docks and bridges.

HANDLING PRECAUTIONS
Dispose of treated wood by ordinary trash collection or burial. Treated
wood should not be burned in open fires or in stoves, fireplaces, or
residential boilers because toxic chemicals may be produced as a part of
the smoke and ashes. Treated wood from commercial or industrial use (e.g
construction sites) may be burned only in commercial or industrial
incinerators or boilers in accordance with state and federal
regulations. Avoid frequent or prolonged inhalation of sawdust from
treated wood. When sawing and machining treated wood, wear a dust mask.
Whenever possible, these operations should be performed outdoors to
avoid indoor accumulations of airborne sawdust from treated wood. When
power sawing and machining, wear goggles to protect eyes from flying
particles. After working with the wood, and before eating, drinking, and
use of tobacco products, wash exposed areas thoroughly.

Mr Compost~~~

Jim~ McNelly
ReSourceNet and GardenNet 612-654-8372, 656-0678 v.32bis
[email-masked]
---
 * April 9th - Galactic Wanderer