Subject: SEPTIC HELPERS

From: [email-masked] (Jim Mcnelly)
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 01:58:00 +0600

Walter writes:

References: <[email-masked]> 

WW> This is not entirely true. Yes a septic tank requires periodic
WW> maintenance, but if properly taken care of, you may never need to
WW> pump the tank. The trick is maintaining the proper ecology in the
WW> tank so all of that sludge gets eaten and goes out through the leach
WW> field in a form that won't even clog the leach field. We don't pump
WW> our system at all. We also don't put any chemicals down the system

Hi Walter,

Believe me, you are headed toward septic system clogging and failure. 
The time to pump a system is *before* it backs up. By the time it is 
clogged, it is too late to prevent damage to your leach field from 
overmuch solids buildup.

There will *always* be some residual sludge build up from putting 
organics down the drain. Even the richest organic matter is 20% or more 
inert material. Even the organic fraction is not all volatile, and is 
resistant to decay, even if attacked by extra microbes.

You are right in suggesting that healthy microbes reduce the risk of 
overmuch solids build up, and that many chemicals can inhibit biological 
activity, but you are mistaken in suggesting that a healthy septic system 
never needs pumping. This common attitude is one reason why I and 
other organic matter management specialists are so resistant to the 
proliferation of septic systems. They are poorly managed and are a major 
contributor to water pollution.

In a community of 50 or more households, and in some cases as few as 5, 
I recommend mechanical sewage systems that require monitoring of water 
quality and regular sewage removal.

Mr Compost~~~

Jim~ McNelly
[email-masked]

 * RM 1.3 02460 * Toad - n. What happens to an illegally parked frog.

------------------============<>=============-----------------
   Granite City Connection (612) 654-8372 28.8K 3 Lines
   Email: [email-masked] (Jim Mcnelly)
------------------============<>=============-----------------