Subject: African honey bees:How far North?

From: [email-masked] (Shady Kanfi)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 1994 02:30:20 GMT

Hi,

Seeing this new group just prompted a question:

How far North are those cross-breed African honey bees supposed to get?

Just curious.

                              -Shady

--
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shady Kanfi                                       (613) 231-2594
Norman Paterson School of International Affairs   (613) 788-2600 x3926
Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada
[email-masked]
                              "It's easier to be critical than correct"
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 1994 19:05:34 GMT

From: Eunice Wonnacott <[email-masked]>
Subject:      Re: African Bee Range

        From time to time a family member who lives in Houston, Tx, sends
me clippings from the Houston Chronicle, and occasionally from USA Today.
>From this material I understand that Africanized bees were first found
in Texas in the Corpus Christi and Brownsville areas, three or four years
ago.  The northward spread is slow, but continuing.  It is anticipated
they will be at least as far north as San Antonio, Houston, etc, this
summer.  Also conditions are right for them to also be in New Mexico
and southern California this year.  There is a lot of anecdotal material
surrounding these bees.  If anyone is interested, perhaps the Houston
Chronicle could be persuaded to copy some of this material for the
network?  Or should I start looking up previous mail for anyone?
  I wonder if their progress is slow enough for them to adapt to the
conditions as they migrate.  There is also the possibility of crossing
with more winter hardy bees, or just "hitch-hiking" on an available
vehicle of some kind.  Nice thought!!!
Eunice W.  "From the Cradle of Confederation"
-- 
===============================================================================
Adam Finkelstein  VDACS Apiary Inspector 116 Reservoir St Harrisonburg VA 22801
703-433-1006 (V)   703-434-5607 (Fax)   703-564-4394 (Pager)
[email-masked]    [email-masked]        |Bees To Please|
================================================================================