Subject: Keeping Bees in the City

From: [email-masked] (David MacFawn - Sun NC Development Center)
Date: 21 Apr 1994 17:50:49 GMT

>I have been reading about keeping bees for years, but never have had a good 
>location to have my own hives.  Reading this newsgroup is encouraging me to go 
>ahead and keep bees anyway.  I live in a small city in Oregon.  Does anyone 
>have any pointers on keeping bees in a residential area?  Thanks!

Several things come to mind with the most important two being locating the hives 
such that the bees flight path to & from the hive does not pose a problem 
with sidewalks, neighbor's yard, etc.  If it does or you have a small lot, you 
may want to consider a fence / hedge in front of  / around the hive(s) to make 
the bees fly up.  

Also, you need to make sure that the bees have a water source close to the 
hive...bees will go to the closest water source, even if it your neighbor's pool 
so you want to make sure you have a water source close by...one that is shallow 
or set-up such that the bees will not drown.

I would recommend contacting your local beekeeping orginazation to see how some 
of the other beekeepers are handling bees in the city. If you don't know who 
they are, contact the local ag extension agent or the state department of 
agriculture.  Some cities/towns have ordinances on keeping bees in the city, so 
you may want to call down to city hall.  

Rgds, Dave MacFawn