Subject: Mead?

From: [email-masked] (Daniel D. Todd)
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 1994 04:19:50 GMT

Any mead makers out there?

I just got about 50 lbs. o' honey.  I have a small (6gal) batch of cranberry 
flavored mead (Pyment?)  And a homemade concoction of fruit ambrosia.  
It has oranges, oreange juice, apples, pears and grapes with about five pounds 
of straight honey, no other liquids.  The mead was innoculated about two weeks 
ago and is still going strong, the ambrosia was just innoculated this 
afternoon and has visible fermentation.

cheers,
Dan
=========================================================================
Dan Todd       [email-masked]           kc6uud@ke6lw.#nocal.ca.us.na  
Charter Member: Dummies for UNIX 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
When radios are outlawed, only outlaws will have radios 
- David R. Tucker on rec.radio.amateur.policy
==========================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Charles E. MacMillan)
Date: 23 Apr 1994 21:01:31 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
>afternoon and has visible fermentation.

 A roomate and I made several batches a year or two ago, and I have been 
looking forward to doing so again.

 I recently recieved the last bottle of all of the batches by mail, after 
it had set in bottle for over a year. The taste was incomparable, rather 
reminiscent of a very fine champagne.

 We did not really know what we were doing when we started, but 
experimented with both heavier and frutier honeys. I believe that the 
makeup of the bottle I received was 50/50 of wildflower and clover. Most 
of the "grain" honeys developed an unpleasant odor.

 Then again we could have been doing something wrong with them, either 
yeast-wise or in the selection and pre-treatment of the honeys.

 Sorry if this might be viewed as a little off-track for the group. Maybe 
there is cause for a mailing list :-)

 Regards,

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked][email-masked]|vox 312-8500181|data 312-8500112
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Gonna' Find Ray Charles Tate)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 1994 13:55:32 GMT

For discussion of mead, you might want to check out the newsgroup
rec.food.historic.  There are a lot of SCA people on that group
(Society for Creative Anachronism), and a goodly discussion of all
sorts of foods that were known in ancient times - including those
brewed foods.  :-)

There's also a .homebrew or .zymurgy group or two that you might
take a look at.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Christopher Tate             |  "So he dropped the heart - 
MSD, Inc.                    |     the floor's clean."
[email-masked]    |                 - Sidney Harris

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 1994 01:06:40 GMT

There is some avid mead discussion in the group rec.crafts.brewing.
Also there is a mead mailing list:
[email-masked]

I _drink_ mead. 

: )

Adam
-- 
===============================================================================
Adam Finkelstein  VDACS Apiary Inspector 116 Reservoir St Harrisonburg VA 22801
703-433-1006 (V)   703-434-5607 (Fax)   703-564-4394 (Pager)
[email-masked]    [email-masked]        |Bees To Please|
================================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Gonna' Find Ray Charles Tate)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 1994 13:55:32 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 1994 01:06:40 GMT

I _drink_ mead. 

: )

Adam