Subject: Re: Mites

From: [email-masked] (David MacFawn - Sun NC Development Center)
Date: 20 Apr 1994 18:43:37 GMT

>From [email-masked] ()
Newsgroups: sci.agriculture.beekeeping
Subject: Re: Mites
Date: 20 Apr 94 12:58:51 GMT

>I am not an expert on beekeeping but i thought the following topics 
>would be of interest:

>I read a report that the USDA is working with a Yugoslavian strain that
>is resistant to varora mite.  It may be available to the public in a 
>few years.

These bees are now being sold.  I notice in the ABJ and Bee Culture that people are now selling they

>Also i saw a report that the bees are more tolerant to high temperature
>than tracheal mites, so it was concluded that painting hives black
>instead of white would be useful. 

Someone is actually selling a "system" to put your super into and heat up to kill the mits but not hot enough to kill the bees...I don't remembers if this was for trachael or vorroa mites though.  It was again advertised in one of the bee journals

>I am wondering what the experts think of painting the hive black?  

Allen

--