Subject: Pasteurized honey...

From: [email-masked] (Paul C. Cheng)
Date: 24 Apr 1994 03:35:14 GMT

Hello again,

My colleagues at UC Davis did their honey survey again this year and found
much of the people surveyed to prefer unprocessed "natural" honey from
the same floral source.  Does anyone know how honey from the supermarket is
processed?

Thanks,
Paul
-- 
Paul C. Cheng ([email-masked])
Northwestern University Medical School, MSTP-1
Ward Bldg. Box 213
Chicago, IL 60611

---

From: [email-masked] (Joel E Callan)
Date: 24 Apr 1994 13:24:41 GMT

>From article <[email-masked]>, by [email-masked] (Paul C. Cheng):
> Hello again,
> 
My gradfather was a beekeeper who occasionally sold his honey to
"processing" plant (local). The plant would combine honey of similar quality
(based on color, source of pollen and flavor). The marketed honey was not
labeled differently (most likely due to costs involved, among other things).
The result of the above was that you could pick honey by color (a good
indicator of source of pollen, but not reliable). Seems that most consumers
prefer a golden honey color (if you look at various lots of honey you will
see variations in color). 

Note to sources of pollen affecting flavor: There is no way to certify that
the honey is entirely based on one souce of pollen (though bees will seek
out one good source of pollen over another available source during times of
abundent pollen). All honey is actually a mixture of pollens collected by
the hives. Beekeepers just locate the supers in areas where they have some
control over the sources of pollen readily available (i.e. farmlands,
orchards, where crops dictate predominant available sources of pollen).

-- 
  /`-_  			e-mail: 
 {     }/ Joel E Callan             [email-masked]
  \   ./  2909 N. 44th Street       [email-masked]
   |___|  Milwaukee, WI  53210      [email-masked]

---

From: rspear@sookit (Richard Spear)
Date: 25 Apr 1994 16:34:33 GMT

Paul C. Cheng ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Hello again,

: My colleagues at UC Davis did their honey survey again this year and found
: much of the people surveyed to prefer unprocessed "natural" honey from
: the same floral source.  Does anyone know how honey from the supermarket is
: processed?

: Thanks,
: Paul
: -- 
: Paul C. Cheng ([email-masked])
: Northwestern University Medical School, MSTP-1
: Ward Bldg. Box 213
: Chicago, IL 60611

isn't it required to be pasteurized?

i, too would like to know the answer to this question.

regards, richard

[email-masked]
all disclaimers apply

---

From: rspear@sookit (Richard Spear)
Date: 25 Apr 1994 16:34:33 GMT

: Thanks,
: Paul
: -- 

regards, richard