Subject: Questions from a beginner

From: [email-masked] (Jordan Schwartz)
Date: 16 Apr 1994 03:58:24 GMT

Well, I put my two packages in their hives today, so I am now officially 
an apiarist.  Many questions already, though, that hopefully some kind 
and knowledgeable soul will take a moment or two to answer:

1) My bees have found a knothole at the top and are going in and out of 
it, basically ignoring the more traditional (although slightly blocked by 
one of those wooden hole-maker-smaller-things) entrance at the bottom.  
Question is: is this a problem?  Will they find the regular hole?  Should 
I plug the knothole?

2) When I shook in my package, I was unable to get out a good 1/3 of 
them.  All the books I read just said "some" would remain.  Question is: 
does "some" = 1/3?  Is this a problem?

3) Are there any organic approaches to disease control (Nosema, 
Foulbrood, mites, etc.)?  I hate the idea of taking something as 
beautiful and natural as honey and fouling it with chemicals.  Is there 
something I can plant in my garden?  Some herb to cook in with the sugar 
syrup?  Anyone doing research on this?

4) How many quart jars should I have at a time for a top feeder?  There 
are slots for four, but is this necessary/recommended?  How often should 
I refill them?  As often as they're empty?

The books I have seem to skip over these questions, so I'm hoping the 
vast world of the net will be able to help.  Thanks in advance...

Jordan