Subject: Propolis?

From: [email-masked] (Karel Bokhorst)
Date: 19 Apr 1994 11:57:00 GMT

It is well known that the kit (propolis) bees use to desinfect their
hives can also be used  for humans. It can cure/help to cure quite a few
common illnesses.

Has anybody any experience with propolis as a medicine?
Are there any articles on the net about propolis?
Is there any research going on with propolis?

Any answers/questions/suggestions appreciated.

Regards,

Karel

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Hyde)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 1994 01:09:37 GMT

Karel Bokhorst ([email-masked]) wrote:

: It is well known that the kit (propolis) bees use to desinfect their
: hives can also be used  for humans. It can cure/help to cure quite a few
: common illnesses.

This is news to me.  I thought that the promary purpose of propolis
was to chink holes in the hive.  I suppose pine and other resins
would have some antibacterial properties, but it seems a secondary
function at best.

I have heard anecdotal evidence that propolis has been used to
cure arthritus, but then so has copper and silver bracelets.  YMMV.

Does anyone know if Kibo keeps bees?  :-)

-r

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|   Richard Hyde  |  [email-masked]  |  This space intentionally left blank  |  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul C. Cheng)
Date: 21 Apr 1994 06:24:54 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>Any answers/questions/suggestions appreciated.

When I was at Davis, I wrote a review paper on propolis.  Since then, there
have been many studies published, and I have yet to add those.  I was
originally going to submit this paper to Bee World for publication, but I
decided to wait until the recent flurry of research established the
mechanism of action for CAPE.

Regards,
Paul

p.s.  I am NOT doing research on bees (currently), CAPE, or propolis (heck, 
I can't even ask for drones without being called a "sicko"! 8) ).

		Honey Bee Propolis:  Prospects in Medicine 
 
			      Paul C. Cheng 
   Department of Entomology, University of California, Davis, California 
			      June 7, 1993 

Introduction: 
	Modern doctors trained in allopathic medicine are usually 
wary of naturopathic remedies because the mechanisms of efficacy 
are usually unclear.  Indeed, if one examines "recipes" from 
Chinese herbal medicine or some "home remedies," the active 
ingredients are unknown.  Also demonstration of the effectiveness 
of the remedies often is not scientific (no use of placebos) and 
could be a result of psychological effects of the patient.  
However, modern allopathic doctors and researchers should not 
ignore potential benefits which natural products may provide in 
curing some of the most serious medical problems today. 
	One such natural product which has received increased 
attention is propolis, a sticky substance collected from trees by 
honey bees (Apis mellifera L.) which they use to seal their hives.  
The components of propolis can be traced to the trees from which 
they are collected.  Bees frequently visit conifers and poplars to 
collect resins from the trees' buds or bark, and these resins are 
taken back to the hive to be used as a sealing agent.  If animals 
such as mice die in the hive, the carcasses are too big to be 
removed by the bees.  Instead, they cover the carcass with 
propolis, which prevents serious bacterial infection of the 
colony.  Ray Hill (1977) describes that propolis derived from 
poplar resin has been used as a folk remedy to cure bacterial 
infections for more than 2,000 years.  Ailments curable by 
propolis include throat infections, bad breath, ulcers, eye 
infections, and urinary tract infections.  Currently, propolis is 
available for purchase as an ingredient in sore-throat lozenges, 
powder, and even toothpaste. 
	It is important to note that the components of propolis vary 
depending on the source from which resins have been collected by 
the bees; therefore the biological activity of the individual 
components of propolis must be identified first.  Poplar propolis 
contains many different compounds, including flavonoids, 
phenolics, cinnamic acid, and caffeic acid (Greenway, et al., 
1987).  An alcoholic extract yields antibacterial activity, and it 
is interesting to note that poplar bud resins also exhibit the 
same activity (Hill, 1977).  Current scientific studies focus on 
the antiviral and anti-tumor effects of flavonoids and caffeic 
acid phenethyl ester (CAPE), some of which will be reviewed in 
this paper. 
 
Flavonoids: 
	The ethanolic extract of propolis (EEP) was shown in 
bacterial plate cultures to be effective in inhibiting the growth 
of a Staphylococcus aureus strain that has become resistant to the 
antibiotic methillicin (Grange and Davey, 1990).  Furthermore, EEP 
was found to preferentially inhibit cocci and Gram-positive rods 
at a concentration of 3 mg/ml.  The researchers speculate that the 
active compounds in EEP include the flavonoid galangin (3,5,7-
trihydroxyflavone) and caffeic acid phenethyl ester (CAPE), and 
that synergisms may be occurring since single components have 
reduced inhibitory effect.  The mechanism of action is thought to 
be an inhibition of bacterial DNA-dependent RNA polymerases by a 
water-soluble, UV-absorbing component of propolis (also, Simuth, 
et al., 1986).  However, data was not presented which support 
these speculations.  Further testing of individual components and 
then synergisms among different components is necessary to 
conclude the mechanisms of antimicrobial inhibition. 
	Debiaggi, et al., (1990) tested the antiviral effects of 
five specific flavonoids: chrysine, kaempferol, acacetin, 
galangin, and quercetin (fig. 1).  Using in vitro cell cultures, 
the replication and infectivity of herpesvirus, adenovirus, 
coronavirus, and rotavirus strains were determined.  Chrysine and 
kaempferol showed a concentration-dependent inhibition of 
intracellular viral replication of all viruses tested but did not 
affect the infectivity of the viruses.  Quercetin inhibited 
replication and infectivity only at relatively high concentrations 
(60 mg/ml), and finally, acacetin and galangin both had no effect 
on either replication or infectivity.  It is unfortunate that the 
researchers did not study the synergistic effects of the five 
flavonoids. 
	In a more focused study of flavonoid inhibition of viruses, 
Amoros, et al. (1992) observed individual and binary synergistic 
effects of flavonols (galangin, kaempferol, and quercetin) and 
flavones (chrysin, luteolin, apigenin, tectrochrysin, 
isosakuranetin, and pinocembrin) on herpes simplex virus type 1 
(HSV-1) infection and replication in monkey kidney cells in vitro.  
They found that in general, flavonols were more effective than 
flavones at reducing the titer of viruses; however, they found 
that galangin was active while chrysin was not, contradicting the 
Debiaggi, et al. (1990) study.  The authors attributed the 
contradiction to: 1) difference in strains of HSV-1, 2) difference 
in incubation time (48 hours less than Debiaggi, et al.), and 3) 
different assay parameters.  Additionally, when two different 
flavonoids were administered together, significant synergy was 
observed, with all combinations of flavonols and flavones yielding 
a significant reduction in virus titer.  Synergies often indicate 
different modes of action, but since the mechanism(s) of viral 
inhibition have yet to be resolved, the authors can only 
speculate. 
	In summary, flavonoids have been demonstrated to have 
activity against bacterial reproduction and viral replication and 
infectivity.  The flavonols appear to have a higher level of 
activity, and quercetin, kaempferol, and galangin appear to have 
the most activity individually.  Synergisms occur among the 
flavonoids and perhaps with other components in propolis, but 
further research on the individual mechanisms of activity must be 
accomplished before synergisms can be understood. 
 
Caffeic acid phenethyl ester (CAPE): 
	CAPE is another constituent of propolis with biological 
activity.  In 1991, Su, et al. studied the toxicity of CAPE 
towards cells transformed with the adenovirus type 5 E1A genomic 
domain.  This domain causes activation of transcription of 
cellular and viral genes, induction of DNA synthesis and mitosis 
in growth-arrested (differentiated) cells, and immortalizes embryo 
cultures.  Clearly, the characteristics of transformed cells seem 
oncogenic.  The results indicate that CAPE preferentially 
inhibited DNA synthesis and growth in AD5 E1A transformed cells, 
and at high concentrations of CAPE, transformed cells were killed.  
The mechanism of the selective inhibition is unknown but thought 
to be related with the transformed state.  When cells were 
transformed with other genes such as Ha-ras oncogene and bovine 
papilloma virus type 1, they were also selectively inhibited.  
Perhaps transformed cells have altered cellular membrane functions 
or cellular physiology which permit CAPE activity.  Further 
studies to identify the location and mechanism of CAPE activity 
will provide crucial information to the knowledge of the biology 
of cancer. 
	In a follow-up study, Guarini, et al. (1992) determined the 
effects of CAPE on two tumor cell lines, human melanoma HO-1 and 
human glioblastoma multiforme GBM-18.  The results were compared 
to those of other cellular modulators mezerein (MEZ), mycophenolic 
acid (MPA), and retinoic acid (RA).  Furthermore, combinations of 
CAPE with these modulators were also studied.  The astonishing 
results show that CAPE suppressed growth in both cell lines, 
induced differentiation in HO-1, and modulated the expression of 
tumor-associated antigens in both cell lines.  In combination with 
MEZ, CAPE had a very strong anti-proliferative effect and was the 
only treatment which completely suppressed growth in the GBM-18 
cell line (figs. 3 and 4).  Although the results seem very 
exciting and promising, several key points are not answered in 
this study.  First, the mechanism of action of CAPE is still 
unknown.  Second, the researchers did not control for effects of 
CAPE on normally-dividing melanocytes or astrocytes.  Finally, the 
effect of CAPE on other tumor cell lines has yet to be determined. 
	Synthetic derivatives of caffeic acid esters (fig. 5) were 
also shown to have an effect similar to CAPE (Rao, et al., 1992).  
Methyl caffeate (MC), phenethyl caffeate (PEC), and phenylethyl 
dimethylcaffeate (PEDMC) were tested on 3,2'-dimethyl-4-
aminobiphenyl (DMAB)-mutagenized Salmonella typhimurium strains 
(TA 98 and TA 100) and human colon adenocarcinoa cells (HT-29).  
It was shown that the more lipophilic PEC and PEDMC were more 
effective at inhibiting cell growth and DNA synthesis than MC, 
indicating that penetration through cellular membranes is 
important in the activity of the caffeic acid esters.  
Furthermore, these compounds reduced the activity of ornithine 
decarboxylase and protein tyrosine kinase, two enzymes associated 
with unlimited neoplastic cell growth and proliferation.   
Discussion: 
	To make progress in applying natural products in medicine, 
it is essential to take a reductionist viewpoint.  In the example 
of propolis, it has been known for hundreds of years as a folk 
remedy for curing infections, but even this knowledge is 
unacceptable when first, it is difficult to maintain a consistent 
source of propolis; second, one does not know how it works; and 
third, since the mode of action and the components are unknown, 
side effects are difficult to predict.  The benefits of propolis, 
though, were difficult to ignore, and researchers began to study 
it at the reductionist level.  By understanding the mechanism of 
action of propolis' individual active components, synergies can be 
predicted and understood.  Furthermore, derivatives of the active 
components can be made which might yield in an increased efficacy. 
	Two active compound groups of propolis identified with 
biological activity are the flavonoids and the caffeic acids.  
Flavonoids inhibit the growth of cocci and Gram-positive bacteria, 
and viruses.  Quercetin, kaempferol, and galangin appear to be the 
most promising individual flavonoids, but their mechanisms of 
inhibition are still unknown.  All the flavonoids have synergistic 
effects with each other and with other components of propolis, 
suggesting that their mechanisms of action are targeting different 
areas of the bacterial or viral machinery.  Caffeic acid phenethyl 
ester was discovered to preferentially inhibit growth, inhibit 
proliferation, and even kill oncogene-transformed and tumor cell 
lines.  CAPE was also found to induce differentiation and modulate 
the expression of tumor-associated antigens by the cells. 
	However, problems with these results still exist.  No 
further studies involving mechanisms of action have been 
published, although it is certain some researchers are actively 
pursuing this goal.  Increased use of propolis components 
individually may result in the development of microbial 
resistance; therefore, it is necessary to also understand 
synergies.  Most importantly, these propolis components have not 
been tested in vivo.  Further detailing of their mechanisms and 
effects may permit clinical trials with human subjects. 
	If the components of propolis work in the human system, then 
their value to medicine will be invaluable.  Flavonoids could 
provide an alternative antibiotic in situations where microbes 
have developed resistance to traditional drug therapies.  
Inhibition of viruses by flavonoids may mean a cure for the common 
cold.  Cancer patients may be asked to add CAPE to their regimen 
of drugs to inhibit the growth and proliferation of tumors.  Also, 
since CAPE modulates antigens on tumor cells, the effectiveness of 
immunotherapy will increase. 

References: 
Debiaggi, M., Tateo, F., Pagani, L., Luini, M., and Romero, E. 
(1990)  Effects of propolis flavonoids on virus infectivity and 
replication.  Microbiologica  13: 207-213. 
 
Grange, J.M., Davey, R.W. (1990)  Antibacterial properties of 
propolis (bee glue).  J. R. Soc. Med.  83(3): 159-160. 
 
Greenway, W., Scaysbrook, T., and Whatley, F. R. (1987)   The 
analysis of bud exudate of Populus euramericana and of propolis 
by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry.  Proc. R. Soc. Lond.  
B232: 249-272. 
 
Guarini, L., Su, Z.Z., Zucker, S., Lin, J., Grunberger, D., and 
Fisher, P.B. (1992)  Growth inhibition and modulation of 
antigenic phenotype in human melanoma and glioblastoma 
multiforme cells by caffeic acid phenethyl ester (CAPE).  Cell. 
Mol.. Biol.  38(5): 513-527. 
 
Hill, R. (1977)  Propolis.  The Natural Antibiotic.  Thorsons 
Publishers Ltd., Wellingborough, 64 pp. 
 
Rao, C.V., Desai, D., Kaul, B., Amin, S., and Reddy, B.S. (1992)  
Effect of caffeic acid esters on carcinogen-induced 
mutagenicity and human colon ademocarcinoma cell growth.  
Chem.-Biol. Interactions  84: 277-290. 
 
Simuth, J., Trnovsky, J., and Jelokova, J.  Inhibition of 
vacterial DNA-dependent RNA polymersases and restriction 
endonucleases by UV-absorbing components from propolis.  
Pharmazie  41: 131-132. 
 
Su, Z.Z., Grunberger, D., and Fisher, P.B. (1991)  Suppression of 
adenovirus type 5 E1A-mediated transformation and expression of 
the transformed phenotype by caffeic acid phenethyl ester 
(CAPE).  Mol. Carcinogen. 4: 231-242.
 
(From Medline:)
Authors
  Focht J.  Hansen SH.  Nielsen JV.  van den Berg-Segers A.  Riezler R.
Institution
  Bioscientia, Institute for Laboratory Medicine, Moers, Fed. Rep. of
  Germany.
Title
  Bactericidal effect of propolis in vitro against agents causing upper
  respiratory tract infections.
Source
  Arzneimittel-Forschung.  43(8):921-3, 1993 Aug.
Local Messages
  +HEALTH SCIENCES LIBRARY OWNS TITLE--CHECK NUcat FOR HOLDINGS
Abstract
  Propolis is a natural product of bees which exhibits an antimicrobial
  effect. In the study the existence of a bactericidal effect against
  several strains isolated from patients with infections in their upper
  respiratory tracts is demonstrated. In light of the use of propolis as a
  therapeutic agent in natural medicine for common colds and inflammatory
  processes this effect is discussed.

Authors
  Rao CV.  Desai D.  Simi B.  Kulkarni N.  Amin S.  Reddy BS.
Institution
  Division of Nutritional Carcinogenesis, American Health Foundation,
  Valhalla, New York 10595.
Title
  Inhibitory effect of caffeic acid esters on azoxymethane-induced
  biochemical changes and aberrant crypt foci formation in rat colon.
Source
  Cancer Research.  53(18):4182-8, 1993 Sep 15.
Local Messages
  +HEALTH SCIENCES LIBRARY OWNS TITLE--CHECK NUcat FOR HOLDINGS
Abstract
  Previous work from this laboratory established that caffeic acid esters,
  present in the propolis of honey bee hives, are potent inhibitors of human
  colon tumor cell growth, suggesting that these compounds may possess
  antitumor activity against colon carcinogenesis. The present study was
  designed to investigate (a) the inhibitory effects of methyl caffeate (MC)
  and phenylethyl caffeate (PEC) on azoxymethane (AOM)-induced ornithine
  decarboxylase (ODC), tyrosine protein kinase (TPK), and arachidonic acid
  metabolism in liver and colonic mucosa of male F344 rats, (b) the effects
  of caffeic acid, MC, PEC, phenylethyl-3-methylcaffeate (PEMC), and
  phenylethyl dimethylcaffeate (PEDMC) on in vitro arachidonic acid
  metabolism in liver and colonic mucosa, and (c) the effects of PEC, PEMC,
  and PEDMC on AOM-induced aberrant crypt foci (ACF) formation in the colon
  of F344 rats. At 5 weeks of age, groups of animals were fed diets
  containing 600 ppm MC or PEC (biochemical study) or 500 ppm PEC, PEMC, or
  PEDMC (ACF study). Two weeks later, all animals except the vehicle-treated
  groups were given s.c. injections of AOM, once weekly for 2 weeks. The
  animals intended for the biochemical study were sacrificed 5 days later
  and colonic mucosa and liver were analyzed for ODC, TPK, lipoxygenase, and
  cyclooxygenase metabolites. The animals intended for the ACF study were
  sacrificed 9 weeks later and analyzed for ACF in the colon. The results
  indicate that the PEC diet significantly inhibited AOM-induced ODC (P <
  0.05) and TPK (P < 0.001) activities in liver and colon. The PEC diet
  significantly (P < 0.001) suppressed the AOM-induced lipoxygenase
  metabolites 8(S)- and 12(S)-hydroxyeicosatetraenoic acid (HETE). The
  animals fed the MC diet exhibited a moderate inhibitory effect on ODC and
  5(S)-, 8(S)-, 12(S)-, and 15(S)-HETEs and a significant (P < 0.001) effect
  on colonic TPK activity. However, the MC and PEC diets showed no
  significant inhibitory effects on cyclooxygenase metabolism. In an in
  vitro study, caffeic acid and MC showed inhibitory effects on HETE
  formation only at a 100 microM concentration, whereas PEC, PEMC, and PEDMC
  suppressed in vitro HETE formation in a dose-dependent manner. AOM-induced
  colonic ACF were significantly inhibited in the animals fed PEC (55%),
  PEMC (82%), or PEDMC (81%). The results of the present study indicate that
  PEC, PEMC, and PEDMC, present in honey, inhibit AOM-induced colonic
  preneoplastic lesions, ODC, TPK, and lipoxygenase activity, which are
  relevant to colon carcinogenesis.

Authors
  Sud'ina GF.  Mirzoeva OK.  Pushkareva MA.  Korshunova GA.  Sumbatyan NV. 
  Varfolomeev SD.
Institution
  A.N. Belozersky Institute of Physico-Chemical Biology, Moscow State
  University, Russian Federation.
Title
  Caffeic acid phenethyl ester as a lipoxygenase inhibitor with antioxidant
  properties.
Source
  FEBS Letters.  329(1-2):21-4, 1993 Aug 23.
Local Messages
  +HEALTH SCIENCES LIBRARY OWNS TITLE--CHECK NUcat FOR HOLDINGS
Abstract
  Caffeic acid phenethyl ester, an active component of propolis extract,
  inhibits 5-lipoxygenase in the micromolar concentration range. The
  inhibition is of an uncompetitive type, i.e. the inhibitor binds to the
  enzyme-substrate complex but not to the free enzyme. Caffeic acid
  phenethyl ester also exhibits antioxidant properties. At a concentration
  of 10 microM, it completely blocks production of reactive oxygen species
  in human neutrophils and the xanthine/xanthine oxidase system.

Authors
  Frenkel K.  Wei H.  Bhimani R.  Ye J.  Zadunaisky JA.  Huang MT.  Ferraro
  T.  Conney AH.  Grunberger D.
Institution
  Department of Environmental Medicine, New York University Medical Center,
  New York 10016-6451.
Title
  Inhibition of tumor promoter-mediated processes in mouse skin and bovine
  lens by caffeic acid phenethyl ester.
Source
  Cancer Research.  53(6):1255-61, 1993 Mar 15.
Local Messages
  +HEALTH SCIENCES LIBRARY OWNS TITLE--CHECK NUcat FOR HOLDINGS
Abstract
  Caffeic acid phenethyl ester (CAPE) was isolated from propolis (a product
  of honeybee hives) that has been used in folk medicine as a potent
  antiinflammatory agent. CAPE is cytotoxic to tumor and virally transformed
  but not to normal cells. Our main goal was to establish whether CAPE
  inhibits the tumor promoter (12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate)-induced
  processes associated with carcinogenesis. Topical treatment of SENCAR mice
  with very low doses (0.1-6.5 nmol/topical treatment) of CAPE strongly
  inhibits the following 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate-mediated
  oxidative processes that are considered essential for tumor promotion: (a)
  polymorphonuclear leukocyte infiltration into mouse skin and ears, as
  quantified by myeloperoxidase activity; (b) hydrogen peroxide (H2O2)
  production; and (c) formation of oxidized bases in epidermal DNA, as
  measured by 5-hydroxymethyluracil and 8-hydroxylguanine. A 0.5-nmol dose
  of CAPE suppresses the oxidative burst of human polymorphonuclear
  leukocytes by 50%. At higher doses (1-10 mumol), CAPE inhibits edema and
  ornithine decarboxylase induction in CD-1 and SENCAR mice. Interestingly,
  we discovered that 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate-induced H2O2
  production in bovine lenses also is inhibited by CAPE. Cumulatively, these
  findings point to CAPE as being a potent chemopreventive agent, which may
  be useful in combating diseases with strong inflammatory and/or oxidative
  stress components, i.e., various types of cancer and possibly cataract
  development.

Authors
  Guarini L.  Su ZZ.  Zucker S.  Lin J.  Grunberger D.  Fisher PB.
Institution
  Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Columbia University, College of
  Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032.
Title
  Growth inhibition and modulation of antigenic phenotype in human melanoma
  and glioblastoma multiforme cells by caffeic acid phenethyl ester (CAPE)
  [published erratum appears in Cell Mol Biol 1992 Sep;38(6):615].
Source
  Cellular & Molecular Biology.  38(5):513-27, 1992 Aug.
Local Messages
  +HEALTH SCIENCES LIBRARY OWNS TITLE--CHECK NUcat FOR HOLDINGS
Abstract
  The active component of the honeybee hive product propolis, caffeic acid
  phenethyl ester (CAPE), has been shown to display increased toxicity
  toward various oncogene-transformed cell lines in comparison with their
  untransformed counterparts (Su et al., 4: 231-242, 1991). This observation
  provides support for the concept that it is the transformed phenotype
  which is specifically sensitive to CAPE. In the present study, we have
  determined the effect of CAPE on the growth and antigenic phenotype of a
  human melanoma cell line, HO-1, and a human glioblastoma multiforme cell
  line, GBM-18. For comparison, we have also tested the effects of mezerein
  (MEZ), mycophenolic acid (MPA) and retinoic acid (RA), which can
  differentially modulate growth, differentiation and the antigenic
  phenotype in these human tumor cell lines. Growth of both cell lines was
  suppressed by CAPE in a dose-dependent fashion, with HO-1 cells being more
  sensitive than GBM-18 cells. The antiproliferative effect of CAPE was
  enhanced in both cell types if CAPE and MEZ were used in combination.
  Growth suppression was associated with morphological changes in H0-1
  cells, suggesting induction of a more differentiated phenotype. CAPE also
  differentially modulated the expression of several antigens on the surface
  of the two tumor cell lines. These results suggest a potential role for
  CAPE as an antitumor agent, an antigenic modulating agent and possibly a
  differentiation inducing agent.

Authors
  Rao CV.  Desai D.  Kaul B.  Amin S.  Reddy BS.
Institution
  Division of Nutritional Carcinogenesis, American Health Foundation,
  Valhalla, New York.
Title
  Effect of caffeic acid esters on carcinogen-induced mutagenicity and human
  colon adenocarcinoma cell growth.
Source
  Chemico-Biological Interactions.  84(3):277-90, 1992 Nov 16.
Local Messages
  +HEALTH SCIENCES LIBRARY OWNS TITLE--CHECK NUcat FOR HOLDINGS
Abstract
  Propolis, a honey bee hive product, is thought to exhibit a broad spectrum
  of activities including antibiotic, antiviral, anti-inflammatory and tumor
  growth inhibition; some of the observed biological activities may be due
  to caffeic acid (cinnamic acid) esters that are present in propolis. In
  the present study we synthesized three caffeic acid esters, namely methyl
  caffeate (MC), phenylethyl caffeate (PEC) and phenylethyl dimethylcaffeate
  (PEDMC) and tested them against the 3,2'-dimethyl-4-aminobiphenyl, (DMAB,
  a colon and mammary carcinogen)-induced mutagenicity in Salmonella
  typhimurium strains TA 98 and TA 100. Also, the effect of these agents on
  the growth of human colon adenocarcinoma, HT-29 cells and activities of
  ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and protein tyrosine kinase (PTK) was
  studied. Mutagenicity was induced in Salmonella typhimurium strains TA 98
  and TA 100 plus S9 activation using 5 and 10 micrograms DMAB and
  antimutagenic activities of 0-150 microM MC, 0-60 microM PEC and 0-80
  microM PEDMC were determined. The results indicate that MC, PEC and PEDMC
  were not mutagenic in the Salmonella tester system. DMAB-induced
  mutagenicity was significantly inhibited with 150 microM MC, 40-60 microM
  PEC and 40-80 microM PEDMC in both tester systems. Treatment of HT-29
  colon adenocarcinoma cells with > 150 microM MC, 30 microM PEC and 20
  microM PEDMC significantly inhibited the cell growth and syntheses of RNA,
  DNA and protein. ODC and PTK activities were also inhibited in HT-29 cells
  treated with different concentrations of MC, PEC and PEDMC. These results
  demonstrate that caffeic acid esters which are present in Propolis possess
  chemopreventive properties when tested in short-term assay systems.
-- 
Paul C. Cheng ([email-masked])
Northwestern University Medical School, MSTP-1
Ward Bldg. Box 213
Chicago, IL 60611

---

From: [email-masked] (Karel Bokhorst)
Date: 22 Apr 1994 16:35:24 GMT

>cure arthritus, but then so has copper and silver bracelets.  YMMV.
I can assure you that it is a very good medicine for some deceases ( I
use it myself quite a lot)
Propolis is a natural antibiotic and therefore can help cure infections.
I once heard that bees, because of there use of propolis, are the only
animals who do not carry any bacteria around. This is very
sensible as they live with thousands very close together and an infection
would be disasterous.

If you want to experiment with the stuff , for example when you have
a sore throat or a cold, chew on a little piece of propolis for 
a while and you will see some result (hopefully) Mind you it taste
horrible, but you get used to it.

I know there has been a lot of research carried out in Eastern Europe
and Russia but my Russian is a bit rusty these days so i cannot
read the results. 

Cheers

Karel

---

From: [email-masked] (David MacFawn - Sun NC Development Center)
Date: 21 Apr 1994 17:55:32 GMT

>From [email-masked] (Richard Hyde) wrote: 

Actually, I have heard of propolis having medicinal purposes, exactly what I have never followed up on.  Behive Botanicals produces a line of products based on propolis...you can sell them your propolis.

---

From: [email-masked] (Phil Veldhuis)
Date: 23 Apr 1994 14:35:46 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:

[discussion of Propolis deleted]

>animals who do not carry any bacteria around. 

Hold on a minute!  Isn't AFB a bacteria infection?  [checking]  Yep!

"The disease organism is a bacterium, Bacillus larvae.  Infection occurs in
the young larvae when they are fed contaminated food" (Vickery, The Honey
Bee: a guide for beekeepers, Particle press, 1991)

Sorry to burst your bubble.

This is very
>sensible as they live with thousands very close together and an infection

Granted, AFB is disasterous

>horrible, but you get used to it.

I get the same results with leeches, only they taste horrible.  :)

Well, seriously now, I know that we sold a bunch of scrapings (mostly
propolis) to a pharmacuticles company for research purposes a few years
ago.  Haven't heard anything about it though, so I assume they are either
still testing it, or didn't find anything worthwhile.

Anybody know anything about the medicinal value of "extracts" of hive
products, rather than the pure thing?

PHil.

-- 
------------oooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo-------------
Phil Veldhuis           |  "if something is not worth doing, 
Winnipeg. MB, Canada    |  it is not worth doing right"
[email-masked] |                     Dave Barry (1985)

---

From: [email-masked] (James "Kibo" Parry)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 1994 09:24:03 GMT

[sci.agriculture.beekeeping]
> cure arthritus, but then so has copper and silver bracelets.  YMMV.

I hear that the Weekly World News and New England Jornal of Medicine
will, tomorrow, jointly announce that a mixture of Pop Rocks and Coke
will cure arthritis.

> Does anyone know if Kibo keeps bees?  :-)

I tried to keep bees, but they just buzzed off.
							-- K.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul C. Cheng)
Date: 25 Apr 1994 12:37:41 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>will, tomorrow, jointly announce that a mixture of Pop Rocks and Coke

Hey, don't knock propolis benefits just yet.  Let's wait for current
research on caffeic acid phenethyl ester before dismissing this folk
remedy.

BTW, there are several M.D.'s and well-respected bee researchers who believe
in apitherapy.  This is where you use bee VENOM for, say, arthritis.

Regards,
Paul

---

From: [email-masked] (James "Kibo" Parry)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 1994 09:24:03 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul C. Cheng)
Date: 25 Apr 1994 12:37:41 GMT

Regards,
Paul