Subject: Re: Laying Worker

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 28 Apr 94 13:45:39 GMT

It is my understanding that if the queen has died, workers will sometimes
lay, but since these would be unmated, they would lay only drones.  If
this is the case, she must be killed.

--

---

From: [email-masked] (BobPursley)
Date: 27 Apr 1994 21:25:02 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Matchstic)
writes:

<I seem to have a hive with a laying worker (that or one PITIFUL queen!)
< what my question is 
<to requeen this colony I'm trying to combine a queenright colony, using the
<newspaper trick
<ie place the queen right colony over the queenless colony withj a coupla
<sheets
<of newspaper between them. 
 <My concern is that the queen wont be accepted, because the laying worker <is
there?

Make certain the queenright colony is strong  (4-5 frames of bees), and they
will be OK.  The queenrite colony cannot be weaker than the laying worker
colony.  If the laying worker colony is strong, shake ALL of the bees off the
frames of the laying worker colony frames a distance from  the hive ( the
laying workers usually dont return to the hive) then put the queenrite colony
on top.  Be certain to punch a few starter holes in the paper, so air can
circulate above and not smother the upper hive.  Good Luck

BobPursley@AOL

---

From: [email-masked] (David MacFawn - Sun NC Development Center)
Date: 29 Apr 1994 19:05:21 GMT

>this is the case, she must be killed.

The problem that you get into is identifying a laying worker.  Hence, the recommendation by someone to dump all the bees out of the hive, and the non-laying workers will find their way into a hive with a laying queen.