Subject: "Yugo" Bee: Proper name?

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 17:14:56 GMT

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 94 17:35:39 +0100
From: [email-masked]
Message-Id: <9404261635.AA12875@s-crim1>

Hi to everybody! I am a new reader of this conference. I am from  Slovenia and I
 am a beekeeper as well. I would like to add few things about Yogoslavian bee.
This bee is actually Slovenian or more accuratelly (as its latin name say; Apis
melificera carnica) Carnian or Carniolian bee (Carnia is a part of Slovenia).
Our name for this bee is Carnian grey bee, but never before I heard of that bee
as Yugoslavian bee. It was breede in the teritories of Slovenia many years
before existance of Yugoslavia (Slovenia was the part of Austro-Hungarian
empire until WW I). It was breed in that teritories for many years or centuries
but first time widely introduced by famous Slovenian beekeeper Anton Jansa,
who was a royal beekeeper in the court of queen Maria Theresia. I am not a
potent Slovenian nationalist but I think that the name Yugoslavian bee for it
is really inappropriate.

At the end, I would like to ask for some more informations about resistance of
that bee, because I didn't know that it is supposed to be more resistant. At
home we have several hives with that bees and we have a problems with mites as
well (especially big problems were with varoa few years (3 and 4) ago, when in
one winter almost half of all beefamilies in Slovenia (official estimation)
didn't survive through the winter mostly becouse of highly infection with
Varoa Jacobsoni

Gregor   [email-masked]
-- 
===============================================================================
Adam Finkelstein  VDACS Apiary Inspector 116 Reservoir St Harrisonburg VA 22801
703-433-1006 (V)   703-434-5607 (Fax)   703-564-4394 (Pager)
[email-masked]    [email-masked]        |Bees To Please|
================================================================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Moroney)
Date: Wed, 4 May 1994 05:28:50 GMT

>I am from  Slovenia and I

The "Yugo bee" developed for mite resistance isn't any generic Carniolian
bee.  It is a specific _strain_ of (Carniolian? hybrid?) bee developed in
the former Yugoslavia (don't know which part) that shows promise in mite
resistance.  It has only recently been brought to the US.  We've had regular
Carniolian bees and hybrids of them for quite a while.

-Mike