Subject: Re: Reactions to bee stings

From: [email-masked] (Mark Sandrock)
Date: 30 Jun 94 01:54:11 GMT

[email-masked] (B.J.H. Beattie) writes:

>If you know you are likely to get stung - as in
>inspecting bees - take the antihistamine an hour before you go to them
>if you think you need it.

So what sort of anihistamine would you recommend, and how much of a
difference does it make? And would it interfere with one's chances
of becoming "immune" to bee-stings?

Thanks to everyone for the informative contributions.

Mark Sandrock
-- 
Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign	"Fruechte reifen durch die Sonne,
Chemical Sciences Computer Center	 Menschen durch die Liebe."
505 S. Mathews Ave., Urbana, IL 61801			--Julius Langbehn
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jodi Giannini)
Date: 30 Jun 1994 16:27:32 -0400

My reaction is generally: 'Ow! Oo! $#(*$#)!'

However, while I am not allergic to bee stings, my brother is deathly so,
and we keep several bee sting kits around.  (In the boat, in the house, etc)

No one else in my family is allergic.

Jodi G.
-- 
Jodi Giannini ([email-masked])
"This parrot is DEAD!" 
"No 'e's not...'e's pining for the fjords..."
(ask me about the rec.pets.birds faq)

---

From: [email-masked] (B.J.H. Beattie)
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 1994 08:33:35 GMT

> difference does it make? 

I use a proprietary brand recommended by the local pharmacist - probably
not the same name in other countries. I found it helped a lot when I
first started keeping bees, reducing local swelling considerably; but
every individual reacts differently.

However, after a few year's experience with my bees, I find I don't get 
stung as much, and when I do, I don't react as much as I used to. 
Probably I've learned to handle them more sympathetically so they don't
get so angry, and learned when not to push my luck!

> And would it interfere with one's chances

I don't know - have to ask a doctor. However, see above! :-)

Bridget.