Subject: Re: How to entice bees to move?

From: [email-masked] (Michael Moroney)
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 1994 05:15:54 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, Keith Dorken wrote:
> I have an old log house on my property that has two windows inhabited by 
> bees. They return on their own every spring. They just recently 'swarmed'
> and are busy flying about. Apparently this has gone on for a number of years,
> according to the previous owners.
> 
> It is nice to have the bees around for the fruit trees, etc., but at some
> point I hope to start fixing the old house, and the bees will have to go.
> 
> Is it possible to convince them to move to a regular beekeeping hive?
> How?

I don't know what you mean by occupying a window, but it is usually rather
difficult to remove bees from a building non-destructively.  Usually the
technique is to set up a one-way exit at the nest opening and a hive nearby
for several weeks to take in the bees unable to return.  If the window can be
taken apart by a beekeeper, he can remove the comb and transfer them to a hive.

> It is hard to believe the bees are able to overwinter in this house. It
> is uninhabited, and unheated. The last winter was particularly cold here in
> Ontario, Canada and I didn't expect to see them back. Or, is is possible that
> some of the bees migrate and return in the spring ? 

As long as they have enough honey and bees, cold weather is actually better for
them, at least according to an old-time beekeeper.  They don't waste energy
looking for non-existant food on the warmer winter days.

-Mike