Subject: excuse me while I ROTFL

From: [email-masked] (Adrian Graham DENT - Rodent)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 1994 04:45:55 GMT

Oh deary deary me.  I am having a little trouble controlling my mirth.
Anybody remember the "hive in the roof" saga?
Well...the pest controllers came, destroyed the hive and left.
Last week.
So, now, only one week later, there are bees there again.
Gosh, I don't know why I worried that proffesional pest controllers wouldn't 
do the job properly.
Excuse me. I have to leave now.  I want to go and laugh in some peoples 
faces.
They should have listened!!!!!!

bwahahahaha....oh no....here come the men in little white coats to take me 
away!!!!!

hahahah hehehehehhehahahahahehehehehahahahaeh

Adrian.  (no... am perfectly sane.....PERFECTLY!!!!)

---

From: [email-masked] (Phil Veldhuis)
Date: 4 Nov 1994 01:57:19 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Mike Jaquet, SM2, Auburn, CA) writes:
>snip
>Let's see now.  I suggested that you prepare a paper on the proper or preferred
>method of honeybee removal from a structure (in this case, a roof area).  Then
>I suggested you present the powers that be with that paper, and possibly get a
>local "professional" to back up your claims.

>Rather than being smug and a little self rightous, and rather than laughing at
>the administration's lack of knowledge regarding honeybees, you could instead
>now be pointing out that what should have been presented in your paper to them
>
>Rather than gloat with an "I told you so" attitude, in my opinion you should
>jump at the opportunity to educate the administration, present yourself as a
>knowledgeable LEVEL HEADED individual, and again offer to remove the bees, the
>hive, and waive any liability claims should any accidents occur.
>
Well this sounds perfectly reasonable: if you think a university 
administration will go for such an approach you are fooling yourself.

university administrations are not reasonable.  You could utterly convince
them of your competence and knowledge and they still would not let you go
on the roof.  BECAUSE STUDENTS AREN'T ALLOWED ON THE ROOF!!!  THAT IS THE
RULE!!!  AND IF WE WAIVE ONE LITTLE RULE IN ORDER TO SOLVE ONE RELATIVELY
MAJOR PROBLEM THEN WE MIGHT SET A PRECEDENT FOR SOLVING OTHER PROBLEMS,
AND THEN WE WOULDN'T NEED AN ADMINISTRATION!!! 

I would just laugh self-rightiously.  It may not be the best solution for 
everyone, but since the administration will look the best solution in the 
face and laugh, you'd better laugh back.

-- 
------------oooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo-------------
Phil Veldhuis           |  "if something is not worth doing, 
Winnipeg. MB, Canada    |  it is not worth doing right"
[email-masked] |                     Dave Barry (1985)

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Jaquet, SM2, Auburn, CA)
Date: 3 Nov 94 10:46:34 -0800

snip
snip 

Let's see now.  I suggested that you prepare a paper on the proper or preferred
method of honeybee removal from a structure (in this case, a roof area).  Then
I suggested you present the powers that be with that paper, and possibly get a
local "professional" to back up your claims.
Rather than being smug and a little self rightous, and rather than laughing at
the administration's lack of knowledge regarding honeybees, you could instead
now be pointing out that what should have been presented in your paper to them
is exactly what has happened.  The exterminator had killed off the active bees
who were currently in the hive, but he did not kill the field bees, or the
unhatched brood.  Then you could point out that the exterminator will probably
need to make at least three more trips, and will still need to remove any
residual hive material, comb, and remaining honey and pollen.

Live and learn.  Since you are a student, education is a better way.

just my opinion as a local "small time" hobby beekeeper.

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Adrian Graham DENT - Rodent)
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 1994 09:38:49 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Phil
Veldhuis) writes:

>In article <[email-masked]>
>>
>>method of honeybee removal from a structure (in this case, a roof area). 

[snip]
>>administration will go for such an approach you are fooling yourself.

How true!!!  I did as was suggested, I put in a maintenance card, with the 
paper, BUT...because of the various levels the maintenance cards go through, 
the "paper" was removed before it got to the relevant people....so...well...
I guess I will have to stick with the laughing