Subject: Mold?

From: [email-masked] (Jordan Schwartz)
Date: 12 Mar 1995 21:30:38 GMT

The bottom chamber of my hive is plagued by mold.  I have the whole hive 
tilted heavily forward so that the rain doesn't get in, but nevertheless, 
there must be some build-up, because the whitish and greenish mold 
covers the bottom of the frames as well as a scattering of cells.  The 
bees abandoned it altogether and moved upstairs, so I just removed that 
hive body, but I'm worried that I've just made new trouble for the next 
story.  Any suggestions?

Jordan L.K. Schwartz       !  University of Washington
[email-masked]      !  Department of Psychology
http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jlks/jordan.html

---

From: bill fernihough <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Mar 1995 05:44:22 GMT

I have had mold in weak hives, as you discuss, and most often on old comb
which gives you a good excuse to get rid of it.  Since I started using a
combination of top and bottom entrances in winter, it hasn't been a problem
and maybe caused by just a lack of air ciruclation.  Make some 
allowance for cirulation by opening the top a bit, and that should help.

---

From: [email-masked] (Candour)
Date: 19 Mar 1995 03:25:21 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> hive body, but I'm worried that I've just made new trouble for the next 
 
Well I don't know what weather conditions you have over there, but
conditions permitting you could try putting something like a nail or match
between the top box and the ceiling or roof just to give a gap of a few
milimeters.  This allows ventilation and helps to dry up some of the
condensation in the hive.
Plus, do you have a small hole in the ceiling mat that allows the moist
air to rise into the area between the hive mat and the roof.  Then the
moisture shouldn't condensate on the hive mat as much.