Subject: Are These Varroa Mites

From: [email-masked] (David J Trickett)
Date: 17 Dec 1994 01:31:53 GMT

Regarding Todd's loss of 5 out of 6 hives to Varroa....

I think you should be wondering why the 6th hive is still alive.  It may 
be that they have some degree of mite resistance and are therefore worth 
saving - even if in a weakened state.  Andy Morris' advice is sound, but 
if they look at all like they might make it through the Winter, you 
ought to consider treating and then producing some splits from them.... 

Just some dissenting advice...

David J. Trickett -- UPenn

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: 17 Dec 1994 02:03:32 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>ought to consider treating and then producing some splits from them.... 
 
 Well... maybe. If this hive was one out of 1000, maybe you'd have some
chance at tolerant stock, but one out of 6 just doesn't cut it in the
selection scenario.  Check it out though, numbers aren't _always_ right.
 good luck,
Adam
-- 
____________________________________________________________________________ 
Adam Finkelstein                     Price Hall 
Entomology                   VA Tech, Blacksburg, VA  24001-0325 
[email-masked] ______________________________________________________