Subject: Catching Swarms: Nuc vs. Hive Body

From: Kevin Ormerod <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 17:34:27 GMT

I live in a residential area and keep a couple
of hives in my back yard.  I have an old dogwood
tree with a limb that would provide a good
perch for a Nuc or Hive Body.  I'm thinking
of putting a "bait" hive in the tree just in case
one of my hives swarms or to add a feral
colony to one of the existing hives or, in my
wife's worst dream -- add another hive :-)

My question is -- Am I as likely to catch a
swarm with a Nuc as I am with a Hive Body.
If I leave it in the tree semi-permanently
would frames of foundation attract the bees
or would I have to have drawn comb or
some type of pheromone attractant.

KO
Lexington, SC

---

From: [email-masked] (Ronald Healy)
Date: 10 Jun 1995 17:26:44 GMT

>some type of pheromone attractant.

Hi Kevin.  I was recently talking to our local bee inspector about a bait hive
and he said that a hive body was best.  The bees won't move in unless they
feel they have enough room.  He also said that drawn comb works well.  A
pheromone attractant may help a bit, but is not necessary.  I don't know if
frames of foundation would work or not.

---

From: "K.J.M.Hooker" <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Jun 1995 02:36:24 +0100

The best way of taking a swarm is to knock them into a straw skep.  It 
never seems to fail.   The more propolis and wax (not comb) in the skep
the better.

Keith JM Hooker BA MIPD
Technology Management Ltd
Whitstable, Kent, UK, EC (just)

---

From: "K.J.M.Hooker" <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Jun 1995 02:36:26 +0100

I've just re read that posting - what do you mean "incase my hives 
swarm"  surely as a good and responsible beekeeper in a town 
environment you will be checking your bees to ensure that they DO NOT 
SWARM and annoy neighbours!

Beekeepers who live in town and do not check their bees are the bain of 
all responsible beekeepers, one could say they are not beekeepers but 
keepers of bees.

Keith JM Hooker BA MIPD

---

From: [email-masked] (Sue & David Fletcher)
Date: 20 Jun 1995 14:41:33 GMT

Saw this article and am passing this along for your info.

An article in June's WESTERN FRUITGROWER magazine states that the
Shaggy fuzzyfoot (Anthophora pilipes villousula) bees are being
introduced to the U.S. from Japan.

They are intended to be pollinators of apples, blueberries, peaches,
pears and other fruits during the early spring.  They will work in rain
and at temps as low as 48 degrees F.  "And a female shaggy fuzzyfoot is
a genuine workaholic, visiting up to 337,000 flowers in her 60-day
adult lifetime."

They are dormant almost the entire year, except for about two months
>from  late March to late May.  They can buzz pollinate, which is
critical for blueberries.

USDA scientist Suzanne Batra has about 1000 nests for growers and
beekeepers for trials in the U.S.

"They are gentle, easy to keep in adobe blocks, and survive
temperatures as low as 20 degrees F.  

Interested beekeepers should obtain import permits from the state's
agriculture department.  Contact Barta at 301-504-8384
or Fax 301-504-8746.

I don't know any more about this than what I read in the article.
David Fletcher
[email-masked]