Subject: Honey solids???

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 1995 16:28:00 GMT

[email-masked] (robert Van Leeuwen)refer#: None
 wrote:
>From: [email-masked] (Robert Van Leeuwen)
>Subject: Honey solids???
>Date: 6 Feb 1995 03:23:41 GMT
>
>My wife bought some a honey-whole wheat bread mix (U just add water)
>I looked at the ingredients and saw that it had more rice and soy flour
>than wheat flour and the only ingredient that had ANYTHING to do with
>honey was the very last one which said: honey solids.
>
>Now I've been in beekeeping for 20 years, and have never heard of this.
>Anybody have a clue as to what honey solids would be???
>
>
>                   Robert VL
 |-------------------------------------|

   Sounds like the Honey in that bread is the one who prepares and
cooks it. Some of these companies who trade on the good name of Honey
will tell you if asked that the honey has to be added by you in the
glaze as in Honey Cross Buns, its a rip off, looks like a double
rip off to me.

   Normally by law the ingredients are listed in descending order as
to amounts of each. Few labels will list the actual amounts, but the
new nutritional labels do help if your concern is in empty calories or
fiber and fats. If a ingredient is not listed it can be assumed it does
not contain that ingredient or is in violation of the US Federal Food
Labeling Laws.

   I just would not buy this product, and for sure read the label before
purchase of any other. As a beekeeper I would do a little more and
write the company and express my opinion at being ripped off by them.
Also I would not hesitate to let others know what the brand name of
the product was and who made it so the rest of us don't get ripped off.

Their defence will be that you could have read the small print on the
label of ingredients before you purchased it, and not assumed that the
product would not, if prepared as directed produce a "Honey" of a
whole-wheat bread minus the honey and dam little wheat. Who knows they
may send you a 10 cents off coupon on your next purchase.

---

From: [email-masked] (John E. Taylor III)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 12:31:54 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Andy
Nachbaur) wrote:

>  [email-masked] (robert Van Leeuwen)refer#: None  wrote:

> the product was and who made it so the rest of us don't get ripped off.

If they're listing "honey solids" as an ingredient, chances are the FDA has
defined what it believes "honey solids" to be, and has permitted the use of
the term.  Probably the place to start is the FDA.  If they've mis-defined
something, we need to take the matter up with them.  If _they_ don't know
what "honey solids" are, then they probably should be the ones to contact
the manufacturer of the product listing them.

--
John Taylor    (W3ZID)     |  "The opinions expressed are those of the
[email-masked] |   writer and not of Rohm and Haas Company."

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Alexander)
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 1995 16:55:10 GMT

i thought that honey solids where honey that had been dehyryated.
after all honey is sugar and most sugar is in the dry state.
why not dry sugar also.  it would make it much easier to handle.

-dave- kg7zq