Subject: city bees revisited, please

From: [email-masked] (CAMILLIUS LAY 19870601)
Date: 2 May 1995 12:08:17 GMT

I'm new to the 'net but kept bees for several years in the wilds of
suburbia, courtesy of the indulgences of Mom and Dad.  I now find
myself also the proud owner of a half-acre patch of neighborhood,
and would like to have some of our little furry friends to share
it.  

I apparently just missed the city-bees vs country-bees thread.  Could
somebody summarize, send via private e-mail, or direct me to archives
if there is such a thing?

If not, I'd be interested in knowing how y'all have dealt with liability,
peacekeeping, vandalism, etc.  Or if these things are even problems or 
concerns.  Also, are there particular strains of bees that are especially
suited for residential hobbyist use?  I don't care if they're not 
blindingly productive, just as long as they don't attack the obnoxious
kid down the street.
Regards and TIA,
Cam Lay
James Island, SC

---

From: [email-masked] (LA Kellogg lawrence a 2023833558)
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 15:33:03 GMT

>blindingly productive, just as long as they don't attack the obnoxious

  From my experience, bees are incredibly docile creatures. You don't bother 
them and they won't bother you. It is nice to have a fairly 
sluded place to keep them so that people don't notice them. I hide 
mine down a hill and at the edge of the woods. I am lucky enough to not 
have ne. I'm not sure anything can be done 
about the obnoxious kid down the street if he spends his time throwing 
rocks at your hives. As for gentle strains, I've heard Buckfast bees 
are pretty mellow.

   Regards,

     Larry Kellogg