Subject: My Two Cents Re: purple loosestrife

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 16:08:00 GMT

----from the BEE-List Group-------------
                    ----------------------------------------
>From: "Jackie O'Keefe" <[email-masked]>
>To: Multiple recipients of list BEE-L <[email-masked]>
>Date:         Mon, 3 Jul 1995 09:08:36 -0500
>Subject:      My Two Cents Re: purple loosestrife

>petulant in the face of a complex problem.) The question is about the
>efficacy of using the insects being suggested, the risk of unanticipated
>effects, and how radically the die-off will affect the immediate
>environment. Can we address those considerations? I was curious to know

Hi Jackie,

   You can rest assured that I don't normally post to this LIST group
often and as the comment period expires July 12 so should the posts
on Purple Loosetrife.

   The real question is that to those who would take the time to comment
as to what choice they would want the Forest Service to make. It is
a political decision made with the best scientific information the
Forest Service can buy and public comment is an consideration.

The three alternative plans are:

A) NO ACTION, which means to continue with Purple Loosetrife control
   at local levels using already approved methods. I favor this plan.

B) RELEASE ALL READY APPROVED BEETLES, as soon as they can be freed of
   unwanted internal parasites.

C) BIOLOGICAL CONTROL, Release three additional non-native beetles
   species that in time will damage only 10% of the Loosetrife and
   other non-target wildflowers in all 48 states with no controls.

  All that I have suggested is to read the Environmental Assessment
which is only 21 pages. I did, and I am not convinced that any of
these new plant pests should be released based on what I read.

                           ttul Andy-