Subject: Varroa Mites: two observations

From: [email-masked] (Doug Westphal)
Date: 12 Dec 1994 15:48:05 GMT

I use bees for bee venom therapy and as such am often observing them
through clear jars.

Observation 1: Nine out of ten mites are on the abdomen and out of view
when looking at the bees in the hive. I have had several beekeepers say
that they didn't have mites, and mites couldn't be seen in the hive, but
as soon as a get them in my jar, I can see their abdomens and one mite
per twenty or thirty bees becomes real obvious. So, if you want a better
look at them, put a bunch in a jar and look at their bellys.

Observation 2: I have seen mites on workers in spring and summer and fall.
The party line says that they move off the drones and onto the workers in fall.
That may be true in some cases, but I have seen MANY on workers in summer.
So, I'd be looking for them all year long. You might not be able to treat
a problem during honey flow, but you will know that they are around and be
ready to treat after honey flow.

Doug Westphal
Santa Cruz, CA

ps. Mites seem to be killing 40 to 70% of hives in San Jose and Santa Cruz.

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: 12 Dec 1994 18:58:54 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Doug Westphal <[email-masked]> wrote:

(Deleted)

>ready to treat after honey flow.

 The most effective time to treat Varroa with Apistan is when there is no
brood at all. Apistan works on contact. So, if there are only worker bees,
and no brood, Apistan will contact these bees most effectively.
Treating in Fall, winter, or spring is fine, but the best control will be
obtained when there are only house bees.
 I've seen Varroa on queens. NASTY.
Adam

-- 
____________________________________________________________________________ 
Adam Finkelstein                     Price Hall 
Entomology                   VA Tech, Blacksburg, VA  24001-0325 
[email-masked] ______________________________________________________

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Moroney)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 01:09:20 GMT

> obtained when there are only house bees.

I wondered how varroa don't die off every winter when there is no brood (in
this area, anyway).  Do they feed on adult bees as well as brood, or do
they simply survive without food until there is brood for them?

-Mike