Subject: Purple loosestrife

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 13:50:00 GMT

*FYI*
                    ----------------------------------------
From: "Dave Green, Eastern Pollinator Newsletter" <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list BEE-L <[email-masked]>
Date:         Wed, 21 Jun 1995 00:47:16 -0400
Subject:      Purple loosestrife

Purple loosestrife is considered a noxious weed by many.  It has become a
major honey plant in many areas, so this post would be of interest to
beekeepers.     - Dave Green

For sure any beekeeper who depends on this plant for bee forage should
"comment". You can make a difference. The same thing is going on in
California for Yellow Star Thistle, and the beekeepers sat on their
hands. Now we have areas of sick Star Thistle that is useless to bee's,
but it's still there. Another major honey plant that was subject to
a introduced pest is SAGE. The worms injure the plant so that it does
not produce, but in 40 years the Sage is still here and it is a native
wild flower.
                        ttul Andy-

Reposted from Sci.agriculture:

Subject: Purple Loosestrife Biological Control EA
From: [email-masked] (Sean Furniss)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 15:22:10 -0400
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Availability of an Environmental Assessment

AGENCY:  Fish and Wildlife Service, Interior.

ACTION:  Notice of the Availability of an Environmental Assessment;
Request for Comments

SUMMARY:  The purpose of this Notice is to make available to the public an
environmental assessment regarding the release in the United States of
three nonindigeneous insects Galerucella calmariensis, Galerucella
pusilla, and Hylobius tansversovittatus. The purpose of the release is to
reduce and control Lythrum salicaria on Service-managed wetlands and to
assist the States to reduce and control purple loosestrife on non-Service
wetlands.  These insects are not native to North America.

The Service proposes to release these three insect species on Service and
other lands in the United States so they can contribute to the biological
control of purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria), an introduced weed.

DATES: Written comments on the Environmental Assessment should be received
on or before July 12, 1995

HOW TO OBTAIN A COPY OF THE EA: The document is available on the Fish and
Wildlife Service world wide server at
http://bluegoose.arw.r9.fws.gov/nwrsfiles/habitatmgmt/pestmgmt/loosestrifemgmt
.html/.

You may also obtain a copy by sending an email message to Meredith Cabillo
at [email-masked]. Please include your name and mailing
address in the message.

--
Sean Furniss
Refuge Program Specialist
Division of Refuges
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Department of the Interior

[email-masked]
(703) 358-2043
Division of Refuges, MS 670 ARLSQ
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
4401 North Fairfax Drive
Arlington, VA 22203

<a href="http://bluegoose.arw.r9.fws.gov/">National Wildlife Refuge
System</a>

***********************************************************

The opinions expressed are those of the writer and not those of the Fish and
Wildlife Service nor the Department of the Interior
___________________________________________________________

Information on Service data servers (including WAIS, WWW, etc.) can be
retrieved from the Service Library Server. Send a message to
[email-masked] with SEND HELP as the subject (no text in the body of
the message) for instructions and an index.