Subject: Dec. 94 'Buzz' - Iowa Beekeepers Newsletter

From: [email-masked] (Terry Dahms)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 09:54:45

Submitted by: Terry Dahms, Pres.
       East Central Iowa Beekeepers Assoc.
       internet: [email-masked]
       ------------------------------------------------------------------
                  THE BUZZ                     DECEMBER, 1994
       ------------------------------------------------------------------
       A newsletter published monthly as a cooperative effort by The Iowa
       Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship and The Iowa  Honey 
       Producers  Association  (IHPA),  an affiliate member of  the  Iowa
       Horticultural Society.   Copy deadline is the 20th of each  month. 
       Your  ideas,  comments  and letters are welcomed  and  encouraged. 
       EDITOR:   Bob  Cox,  State Apiarist,  Iowa Dept.  of  Agriculture,
       Wallace Building,  Des Monies, IA.   50319 Phone:  (515) 281-5736. 
       IHPA  MEMBERSHIP:   Membership dues in the  Iowa  Honey  Producers
       Assn. are $5.00/year.  Send to Gordon Powell, IHPA Treasurer.
       ------------------------------------------------------------------
       STATE APIARIST REPORT
          It's  time to renew your subscription to THE  BUZZ  newsletter. 
       Return  the  last  sheet  of the newsletter to  me  and  make  any
       corrections to your address directly on the label.  This way I can
       keep  the addresses up to date with all the new 911 addresses  and
       save  money not sending the newsletter to people who do  not  read
       it.  If you are a paid-up member of IHPA you get it automatically.
          We  had  a  good annual meeting of  the  Iowa  Honey  Producers
       Association  in Marshalltown last month.   Attendance was up  from
       last year,  with about 100 in attendance.  If you are not a member
       and  did  not  attend,  join the association by  filling  out  and
       sending  in  the attached membership form on page 5  and  plan  to
       attend the meeting next year.  You won't regret it.  
          Our out-of-town speakers, Dr. Bill Wilson, Gary Reuter,  Sherry
       Jennings  and  Joe Graham did a great job.   We  also  appreciated
       hearing  from our own Iowa beekeepers:   LaVerne Greenfield,  John
       Johnson,  and  Paul  Goossen.   These  people  have  a  wealth  of
       knowledge  and  talent  to  share  and  do  an  excellent  job  of
       communicating.   LaVerne  Greenfield has made some  beautiful  wax
       figures.  I was really impressed!   We need to have him exhibit at
       the State Fair.
          Ten Iowa beekeepers reported on the honey crop in their part of
       the  state  Friday afternoon at the annual  meeting.   Per  colony
       averages  ranged from 20 pounds in the southwest to 100 pounds  in
       Dubuque  county,  the  state  average  being  65-70  pounds.   The
       official  statewide  figures  will be  gathered  in  December  and
       reported  February 17,  1995 by the USDA  Agricultural  Statistics
       Service.   It will be interesting to see how close the two figures
       are.   I am guessing that it is a little higher than  this  (70-80
       pounds).
          A nice article about the plight of the beekeeping industry  was
       featured  in  the November issue of Successful  Farming  magazine. 
       The  article,  entitled  "Where have  all  the  honeybees  gone?",
       predicted a shortfall of honey bees and,  by implication,  overall
       agricultural production in the U.S.   The only flaw in the article
       is  in  the beautiful,  accompanying photograph which  pictures  a
       Syrphid or flower fly rather than a honey bee visiting a flower.
          I  pray  that  God will extend his blessings to  you  and  your
       family during this Christmas season.  Let's not forget the  reason
       for the Christmas celebration.
       HONEY BOARD OFFERS NEW OPTION: YOU CAN CHARGE IT!
          Beginning Jan.  1,  1995,  purchases of Honey Board promotional
       materials (such as posters,  bears, aprons,  and cookbooks) may be
       made by telephone using VISA or Mastercard.   "We're very  pleased
       to  now be able to accept credit card payment with  orders...it'll
       really  save time for customers who need their orders  yesterday!"
       said  Tracy Baker,  fulfillment coordinator for the  Honey  Board. 
       "Of  course,  we'll  continue to accept checks  and  money  orders
       accompanying promotional material orders as well," Baker added.
          Credit  card  purchases require a $5.00 minimum order  and,  as
       with all orders,  two to four weeks should be allowed for delivery
       of materials.
          For  questions  regarding credit card  purchases,  please  call
       Tracy Baker at 1-800-553-7162.

       IHPA ANNUAL BUSINESS MEETING
          The members attending the business meeting on Friday  afternoon
       elected  a new president,  vice president,  and two  new  district
       directors  (#2  &  #3)  from  northeast  Iowa.    The   secretary,
       treasurer,   and  southeast  Iowa  district  (#1)  director   were
       reelected.   A  listing  of the current  board  of  directors  and
       officers  is  printed on the front cover of THE BUZZ  each  month. 
       These  beekeepers  represent you when making decisions  about  the
       activities of the association.   Therefore,  contact them when you
       have ideas or opinions about association activities.
          Incoming   president   Paul   Goossen   will   make   committee
       appointments at the December 3rd board meeting.  If you would like
       to  be  on  a committee or have input  in  that  particular  area,
       contact Paul soon.  I will list the committee chairpersons in next
       months  newsletter.   The following are the  standing  committees: 
       State  Fair  Salesbooth,  State  Fair  Exhibit,   Annual  Meeting,
       Educational,  Legislative, Awards, Nominations, Promotions,  Honey
       Queen, Cookbook, and Membership committees.

       THANKS TO THOSE WHO DONATED DOOR PRIZES
          The  following  beekeeping supply  dealers  graciously  donated
       items  for our 1994 Iowa State Honey Producers annual  meeting  in
       Marshalltown November 11-12.  These items were greatly appreciated
       as  we had a mixup in acquiring door prizes ahead of time.   Thank
       you very much for your generous donations!

          DRAPERS SUPER BEE                DADANT & SONS (SIOUX CITY)

          B & B HONEY FARMS                BEEHIVE BOTANICALS

          B & L PLASTICS                   MANN LAKE BEE SUPPLY

          WALTER T. KELLEY CO.             

          AMERICAN BEE JOURNAL             NATIONAL HONEY BOARD

       DEAR FELLOW BEEKEEPERS
          We had a profitable annual meeting.   The attendance,  program,
       and  attitude  were  good.   As your new president  I  am  looking
       forward  to  working  with  a very good  board  in  promoting  our
       industry.  Your suggestions and involvement are welcome.

                                   - Paul F. Goossen
                                     President Iowa Honey Producers Assn.

       4-H ESSAY CONTEST DEADLINE JANUARY 15
          The American Beekeeping Federation is sponsoring the 4-H  Essay
       Contest on Beekeeping once again this year.   There are three  top
       cash  prizes each year ($250,  $100 and $50),  plus the winner  in
       each  state  is  awarded a book on  beekeeping.   Because  so  few
       entries are received, there's a great opportunity to win something
       by simply entering!
          The  topic  this  year is much  different  than  from  previous
       contests.   The  essayist is asked to write an original  story  on
       honey  bees  suitable  for  a  teacher  to  read  to  second-grade
       students.   Suggested titles include:  The Busy Little Bee, I Like
       Honey, A Trip to the Apiary, or My Friend, the Beekeeper.  Time is
       running  out  to  get a story together for  this  year's  contest;
       deadline is January 15, 1995! 
          Full contest rules are available from Bob Cox,  State Apiarist,
       phone 515-281-5736 or FAX 515-242-5015.

       NEW ADDRESS FOR NATIONAL HONEY BOARD
          In  an  effort to keep down and improve staff  efficiency,  the
       National  Honey  Board  office  is  moving  to  a  new   location. 
       Effective Dec. 1, the new address is:

          National Honey Board
          390 Lashley St.
          Longmont, CO 80501-6010

       Phone numbers are the same.

       IHPA BUSINESS
             At  the annual business meeting of the Iowa Honey  Producers
       the membership voted to send a membership list with addresses  and
       phone  numbers  to any member requesting it for a nominal  fee  to
       cover  costs  of printing and postage.   Members who do  not  want
       their address or phone released should contact the IHPA  secretary
       at the address below:
             Margaret Hala
             1988 Vine Ave.
             Marshalltown, IA 50158
             (515) 752-2981

                                HONEY OF A VERSE

       Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son,
       and they shall call his name Emmanuel, God with us. (Matt. 1:23)
                               CALENDAR OF EVENTS

       DECEMBER
       10    Central Iowa Beekeepers meeting at the Royal Cafe in Huxley
             Meal at 5:30 p.m. business meeting at 6:30 and 7:30 program.

       12    Eastcentral Iowa Beekeepers meeting 7:00 p.m.  at Montgomery
             Hall, Johnson County Fairgrounds,   Iowa City.

       JANUARY, 1995
       9-13       The Annual Convention of the American Honey
                  Producers Association at the Eldorado Hotel Casino in
                  Reno, Nevada (hotel ph. 800-648-5966).  
                  Request registration kit from AHPA office,
                  phone/FAX# 203-250-7271.

       17-22      The American Beekeeping Federation Meeting at the
                  Marriott at the Capitol in Austin, Texas.  
                  For more information contact the ABF office 
                  ph./FAX# 912-427-8447.
                                        
       WANT  TO  BUY:   Drums  of good  flavored,  light  colored  honey. 
       Contact Paul F. Goossen, 4209 V. St., Homestead, IA 52236  
       Ph. (319) 622-6410.

       WITH THE BEES THIS MONTH
          Bee  hives  should be bundled up for winter by  now.   Colonies
       will not take liquid feed well now.   You could put a sugar  board
       on top and wrap them yet this month.
          This  is  the  time  to catch  up  on  reading  the  beekeeping
       magazines  and newsletters.   Take inventory of your equipment  to
       plan  what  you need to order and build this winter.   Repair  old
       equipment and put foundation in frames in a warm room so it is not
       damaged.
          Make  plans to attend a bee meeting or take a beekeeping  class
       during the off season.  Its a great way to improve your beekeeping
       skills or get some new ideas.
          Melt down cappings and make some beeswax candles,  figures,  or
       Christmas ornaments for gifts.   Be careful melting wax.   Many  a
       beekeeper has started his home or building on fire.

       HONEY BEES USED TO SAVE THE CORN CROP
          An  interesting article concerning honey bees appeared  in  the
       October  30th  Des Moines Register.   USDA Scientists  at  Tifton,
       Georgia say they have developed a new method of crop pest  control
       --  using honey bees to spread a pest-killing virus.   Honey  bees
       walk through a tray containing talc powder containing the virus as
       they exit the hive. Then, as the bees fly from flower to flower in
       search  of  pollen and nectar,  the virus powder  rubs  off  their
       bodies and attacks corn earworm larvae.

       VEGETABLE SHORTENING PATTIES CONTROL TRACHEAL MITES
          Field  experiments  conducted at the Ohio State  University  in
       1991 and 1993 demonstrated that vegetable shortening patties  when
       used continuously depressed tracheal mite populations in honey bee
       colonies.   The  continuous  use of these  "grease  patties"  also
       improved winter survival of the treated colonies.   The short-term
       use  of grease patties in the summer did not decrease mite  levels
       in colonies.   Visible symptoms were unreliable in  distinguishing
       heavily infested colonies from colonies that are mite free or have
       a low level infestation. Crawling bees,  K-wings and dead colonies
       with ample honey stores remaining are not reliable field symptoms.
       -taken from J. Econ. Entomol. 87(4): 910-916 (1994)

       HONEY COOKING CONTEST
          Linda  Bigalk reported that the team of judges had lots of  fun
       judging  the  entries  in the Honey Cooking Contest  at  the  IHPA
       Annual meeting in Marshalltown November 11.   The panel of  judges
       included  Barbara Pedley,  Velda Temperly,  Mary  Stattelman,  and
       Linda  Bigalk,  all of which have had experience in  judging  4-H. 
       They especially looked at the amount of honey used in each recipe. 
       First  and Second place ribbons were awarded in each class at  the
       Banquet  Friday night.  The following recipes were entered in  the
       contest:

       1. CANDIES

       Dark Chocolate Fudge - 1st place Janet Eidbo

       1/2 cup honey                    2 teaspoons vanilla
       1/2 cup chopped nuts             2 12-oz pkg. chocolate chips
       1 14-oz can sweetened, condensed milk

       Melt chocolate chips with honey and milk.  Remove from burner, add
       vanilla and nuts.  Pour into 9x9 pan. Cool and cut into pieces.

       Dark Chocolate Fudge - 2nd place Bob Cox

       1    can of sweetened and condensed milk
       2    12-oz bags of semisweet chocolate chips
       1/3  cup Iowa clover honey
       1    teaspoon of Mexican vanilla
       1/2  cup chopped walnuts

       Spray 9x9x2 inch baking dish with no-stick coating.   Melt  chips,
       sweetened  and  condensed milk and Iowa honey  over  medium  heat. 
       Remove from stove and stir in vanilla and nuts.  Cool and cut into
       squares.  Store in a cool place. (from Sue Bee Honey Cook Book)

       Peanut Butter-butterscotch Chews - 3rd place Zada Glew

       1      stick oleo                1 1/2 cup sugar
       1/2    cup honey                 1/2   cup milk

       Boil together for one minute.  Add 1 cup butterscotch chips, 1 cup
       Reeses  peanut  butter  chips  and 1/2  teaspoon  salt.   Drop  by
       teaspoonful on wax paper.

       2. HONEY NOVELTIES

       Flavored Honeys - One entrant, Marvin and Nicki Voyles

       Flavors: Peppermint, spearmint, orange, wintergreen, and almond.

       This is a fast growing category in honey, especially for specialty
       packing.

       3. DIPS AND SPREADS

       Honey Spread - 1st place Margaret Hala

       4 oz. package softened cream cheese
       1/2   cup peanut butter (creamy is best)
       1/2   cup Honey

       Mix  together 'til well blended.  Spread on sliced apples,  celery
       or other veggie.

       Log Chain Chocolate Honey Sauce - 2nd place Ann Garber

       4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips   4 tablespoons water
       1/4 cup Honey                      2 tablespoons butter

       Melt  chocolate with water over low heat in a heavy  bottom  sauce
       pan.   Simmer 3 minutes and remove from heat.   Stir in honey  and
       butter.   Beat hard. Put in air tight container. Reheat but do not
       boil. Nuts optional.  Serve over Mandarin orange slices.

       Apple Dip - Margaret Hala

       4 oz. softened cream cheese
       1/2 cup soft packed brown sugar
       1 tablespoon Honey

       Blend together 'til creamy.  Store in refrigerator.

       4. BREADS

       Honey Nut Whole Wheat Muffins - 1st place Ann Garber

       1    cup white flour           2   teaspoons baking powder
       1/2  teaspoon salt             1/2 cup whole wheat flour
       1/2  cup milk                  1   egg
       1/2  cup Honey                 1/2 cup chopped nuts
       1/4  cup melted Oleo           1/2  cup chopped prunes or raisins

       Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.   Mix dry ingredients.   Add milk,
       egg,  honey, nuts, raisins, and oleo (which may be lumpy).  Do not
       beat beat it.  Fill greased muffin tin 2/3 full.  Bake 20-25 mins. 
       Loosen edge of muffins.  Turn out to cool.

       Honey Sweet Rolls - 2nd place Wilma White

       1   cup milk                   2   tablespoons dry yeast
       1/4 cup honey                   1/4 cup lukewarm water
       1/4 cup vegetable oil          2   eggs, beaten
       1   teaspoon salt              5   cups flour

       Scald milk,  add honey, vegetable oil, and salt.   Soften yeast in
       lukewarm water and add to milk mixture.   Add beaten eggs and half
       of the flour.  Beat well and add the rest of the flour.   Mix well
       and  knead  on a slightly floured board until  smooth.   Place  in
       slightly greased bowl.   Cover and let rise until double in  bulk. 
       Punch down and form into rolls.  Let rise again.   Bake 25 minutes
       in a 350 degree oven.

       Beer Bread - 3rd place Tim Laughlin

       2   cups white flour           1  cup whole wheat flour
       3   teaspoon baking powder     1/2 cup Honey
       1   teaspoon salt              1 12-oz can beer

       Combine all ingredients and stir until moist.  Put in greased loaf
       pan.   Let sit for 10 minutes at room temperature.   Bake in a 350
       degree  oven for about 50 minutes or until brown or sounds  hollow
       when knocked on the bottom.

       5. COOKIES

       Calypso Bars - 1st place Patty Stewart ("really good taste")

       Chocolate-raisin sauce:
       2/3   cup hot water             1/3   cups Honey
       1 1/3 cups raisins             1     tablespoons butter
       1     teaspoon vanilla         2 1/2 squares unsweetened chocolate

       Melt  chocolate  in  hot  water  over  low  heat.   Add  remaining
       ingredients. Cool. 

       Batter:
       3/4   cup butter                2/3   cup honey
       1 3/4 cups flour                1/2   teaspoon salt
       1/2   teaspoon baking soda     1 3/4 cups oats.

       Cream  butter and honey together.   Add remaining ingredients  and
       blend  well.   Press  1/2 of this batter into a greased 9x13  inch
       baking  pan.   Spread  with chocolate-raisin sauce  and  top  with
       remaining batter.  Bake at 325 degrees F for 25 minutes.

       Honey Chippies - 2nd place Zada Glew

       1 cup oleo                     1 (6 oz) pkg. butterscotch chips
       1/2 cup honey                   1/2 cup sunflower seeds, shelled
       1 teaspoon vanilla             2 cups flour
       1 teaspoon salt                1 cup oatmeal (quick)

       Blend oleo and honey.   Then add remaining ingredients.   Roll  in
       balls. Flatten with a fork.  Bake at 325 degrees F for 10-12 mins.

       Honey Oatmeal Chewies - Zada Glew

       1  egg                         1 1/4 cup butter flavored crisco
       1  cup sugar                   1 teaspoon vanilla
       2/3 cup brown sugar            1 teaspoon baking soda
       1/4 cup honey                  1 cup quick oatmeal
       1/4 cup milk                   1 cup chopped dates
       1   teaspoon salt              1 cur angel flake coconut

       Cream  crisco  shortening,  sugar,  honey and add  egg,  milk  and
       vanilla.  Beat until light and fluffy.  Combine flour, brown sugar
       and salt.   Mix into creamed mixture.   Stir in oatmeal,  coconut,
       dates,  and nuts.   Drop by teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased  cookie
       sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 11-12 minutes.

       6. CAKES

       Honey Cake - one entrant, Tim Laughlin

       2   eggs                       1   teaspoon cinnamon
       1   cup sugar                  2   1/2 cups flour
       1/2 cup vegetable oil          1   cup strong coffee
       1   teaspoon baking soda        1/2 cup nuts or raisins,
       1   teaspoon baking powder         if desired
       3/4 cup Honey

       Blend all ingredients and beat 5 minutes.   Pour into three 8-inch
       greased and floured loaf pans.  Bake at 375 degrees F for about 
       40 minutes or until cake pulls away from the pan.  Makes 3 loaves.

       IOWA HONEY PRODUCERS ASSOCIATION

       1995 MEMBERSHIP DUES:
       Iowa    Honey   Producers   Association                  $    5.00   
       $_________

       American    Honey   Producers         1-50   colonies       $20.00    
       $_________
                                    51-     500    colonies        $75.00   
       $_________
          First time    []         Renewal     []   (Check one)

       American   Beekeeping   Federation   1-50    colonies       $20.00   
       $_________
                                    51-     500    colonies        $50.00   
       $_________
          First time    []         Renewal     []   (Check one)

       SUBSCRIPTIONS:
       American   Bee   Journal        One   Year      $16.95*     $12.70   
       $_________
                                 Two     Years       $31.40*       $23.55   
       $_________
       (Check one) First time []     Renewal []  Exp.date_________

       Bee   Culture   magazine        One   Year      $16.50*     $12.25   
       $_________
                                 Two     Years       $30.00*       $22.50   
       $_________
       (Check one) First time []     Renewal []  Exp.date_________
           
       Speedy   Bee   newspaper        One   Year      $17.25*     $13.25   
       $_________
                                 Two     Years       $32.50*       $25.25   
       $_________
       (Check one) First time []     Renewal []  Exp.date_________

                                                                 ========
       ======

                                                          TOTAL 
       $_________

       *PRICE YOU WOULD PAY FOR MAGAZINE IF YOU DID NOT BELONG TO IHPA

       CHECK PAYABLE TO:  IOWA HONEY PRODUCERS ASSN.

       SEND CHECK AND FORM TO:     Gordon Powell
                                   4012 - 54th St.
                                   Des Moines, IA 50310
                                   (515 ) 278-1762

       NAME______________________________________________________________
       __

       ADDRESS:__________________________________________________________
       __

       CITY:____________________STATE_________________ZIP________________
       __

       PHONE(____)_______________________________________________________
       __

       No. of Colonies_________       No. of years kept bees__________

       11/23/94