Subject: honey question

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1995 06:40:00 GMT

[email-masked] (jane Wamback)refer#: None
>I have a plastic bottle of honey with the date 12/03/93 stamped on it;
>this appears to be an expiration date.  I have the impression that honey
>doesn't "go bad" -- so that this honey should be safe to eat.
>
>Would a knowledgeable reader of this group let me know if this is indeed
>the case?  Thank you very much.
 |-------------------------------------|

Hello Jane!

   It will darken with age, as I am sure yours did unless you kept it
in the freezer. It may also turn to sugar, (crystallize). If it is
solid, you can warm it up in hot, not boiling water, and it will melt.

   If it is dark, it is still excellent for replacing sugar in cooking
with honey. If it is very dark, and strong flavored, or caramelized by
long exposure to room temperatures or over heating, it still is
excellent in food preparation that require brown sugar, molasses,
sorghum syrup and the like. I have found NO cooking recipe that calls
for sugar that honey of one kind or another can not be substituted.
>From  baked apples to hot chocolate.
                                      Good Luck with you Honey!

   ______________________
  (//////////////////////)    I have found NO recipe that calls for
  (//////////////////////)    sugar that Honey can not be used.
  /~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\
 |     Wild Flower!       |   Remember sugar is a cheep chemically
 |                        |   treated substitute for honey. All raw
 |  _   _          \    / |   sugar must be cleaned of impurities
 | | |_| | __      _ \/   |   including insect and rodent spore and
 | | |-| |:  :|\ |:_ ::   |   other deleterious substances before its
 | |_| |_|:__:| \|:_ ||   |   fit for human consumption.
 |                        |
 |  Product of USA..16oz  |   Honey from the hive is ready to eat...
 |________________________|
                                         ttul Andy-