Subject: August 1994 'Buzz' - Iowa Beekeepers newsletter

From: [email-masked] (Terry Dahms)
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 1994 22:27:05 GMT

Submitted by: Terry Dahms, Pres.
       East Central Iowa Beekeepers
       internet: [email-masked]
       ------------------------------------------------------------------
                   THE BUZZ                     AUGUST, 1994
       ------------------------------------------------------------------
       A newsletter published monthly as a cooperative effort by The Iowa
       Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship and The Iowa  Honey 
       Producers  Association  (IHPA),  an affiliate member of  the  Iowa
       Horticultural Society.   Copy deadline is the 20th of each  month. 
       Your  ideas,  comments  and letters are welcomed  and  encouraged. 
       EDITOR:   Bob  Cox,  State Apiarist,  Iowa Dept.  of  Agriculture,
       Wallace Building,  Des Monies, IA.   50319 Phone:  (515) 281-5736. 
       IHPA  MEMBERSHIP:   Membership dues in the  Iowa  Honey  Producers
       Assn. are $5.00/year.  Send to Gordon Powell, IHPA Treasurer.
       ------------------------------------------------------------------
       STATE APIARIST REPORT
          We now have two field inspectors working in the western part of
       the  state and the 12th of the month we will start  inspecting  in
       northeastern Iowa.  We are looking for an experienced beekeeper to
       inspect for about 6-8 weeks this fall and 6-8 weeks next spring in
       the northcentral,  central and/or the southeast part of the state. 
       The  beekeeper must reside in one of those areas to  qualify.   If
       you  are interested or have any suggestions for someone who  might
       be, give me a call at 515-281-5736.
          The  honey flow has slowed considerably since  June.   However,
       many beekeepers are reporting a good crop from clover already  and
       are hoping for some late flows from soybeans and wildflowers.  The
       southeast  part  of  the state looks to be  the  best,  especially
       considering  that  they have had almost no crop  for  four  years. 
       This is a good time of the season to take some of that nice  light
       colored honey off the hives and keep it separate.   The extraction
       process  is  much simpler with fewer robbing bees  and  the  honey
       temperature warmer.
          This  is also a good time to prepare products to enter  in  the
       State Fair.   All you need is six jars of honey,  sections of comb
       honey,  a frame of honey, a 3-pound chunk of beeswax, candles,  or
       an observation beehive to enter.   Fill out the entry form in last
       month's newsletter and send in with the nominal entry fee.  If you
       need help getting entries to the fair in Des Moines,  let me know,
       and I'll see if I can find someone else in your area who is coming
       to the fair.

       BOOK REVIEW: Almond Pollination Handbook by Joe Traynor
             You might ask why should an Iowa beekeeper be interested  in
       a handbook on almond pollination.  I'll give you two reasons.  1.)
       Many  of  the  principles of pollinating  almonds  also  apply  to
       pollinating  any  crop,  especially other tree  fruits.  2.)   The
       demand  for  honey bees to pollinate California  almonds  and  the
       opportunity  to earn some cash during an off-time of the year  may
       be attractive to some Iowa beekeepers.
             The book is divided into two sections, the first section for
       the  almond grower and the second for the beekeeper.   Topics  for
       the grower include:  orchard design for pollination, renting bees,
       pollination   management,   bee  removal  and   alternate   insect
       pollinators.   This section makes this book the ideal gift for  an
       orchardist  for  which  you are  currently  providing  pollination
       services  or  a prospective customer. A similar manual  for  fruit
       growers  in  Iowa (primarily,  apples and  some  cherries,  pears,
       plums, peaches and apricots) would certainly be valuable.
             The section written for the beekeeper covers topics such  as
       pollination agreements,  state regulations,  theft,  bee delivery,
       pesticides,  preparing colonies, bee removal, time and duration of
       bloom and grower-beekeeper communication.
             This  86-page handbook is well written and printed  on  nice
       glossy paper, well organized for easy reference, and has some nice
       color photography.  And last, but not least,  the price is right--
       $7.00  (which includes shipping and handling).   To obtain a  copy
       send a check to Kovak Books, P.O. Box 1422, Bakersfield, CA 93302.

       LAPLANDERS HONEY CONFERENCE
          Friday,  September  9th,  the Laplanders  Honey  Conference  of
       Southern Iowa and Northern Missouri will be held in Allerton, Iowa
       at the "Inn of the Six Toed Cat."  Dinner will be served at 6 p.m.
       and the program to follow at 7 p.m.
          "The Honey Market:  What's Out There?" will be the theme of the
       conference.   Lisa  Terry,  the 1994  American  Honey  Queen  from
       Northfield,  Minnesota,  will be one of the guest speakers for the
       evening.   Joining her will be Leon Metz,  honey packer from Hazel
       Green, Wisconsin.
          Do join us for dinner and for this timely program.  For further
       details  and  reservations  contact: Ann  Garber  515/872-3119  by
       Tuesday, September 6th.
          The  fourth  annual  Honey-Walnut  Classic  will  be  held  the
       following day,  Saturday,  September 10th at 10 a.m.  on the  east
       portico of the "Inn"  in Allerton.   This popular event honors the
       historic "Iowa-Missouri Honey War, 1838-1841."

       NATIONAL HONEY BOARD ANNUAL MEETING HELD
          The National Honey Board held its annual meeting in Denver June
       17.   The Board elected Neil Miller, Blackfoot, Idaho,  as its new
       chairman during the meeting.   Randy Johnson,  Nampa,  Idaho,  was
       elected  as vice president and Steve Klein,  Marshall,  Minnesota,
       was  re-elected  as  secretary/treasurer.   Two  additional  Board
       members,  Binford  Weaver,  Navasota,  Texas,  and  Larry  Krause,
       Riverton,  Wyoming, were elected to serve on the Board's Executive
       Committee.
          The  Executive  Committee  is responsible for  the  conduct  of
       duties  and  policies outlined by the National Honey  Board.   The
       Board administers an industry-funded national research,  promotion
       and  consumer  information  program  to  increase  domestic  honey
       consumption and U.S. honey exports.
          The board member's work at the meeting also included allocating
       funds  for the 1995 plan year.  "The Board will be  reviewing  the
       Committee's  work this fall,"  said Neil Miller,  chairman of  the
       National Honey Board.  "Before the Board spends a dime,  we review
       the  program plans to ensure that they uphold the Board's  mission
       --  to  support  a strong and viable domestic  honey  industry  by
       creating a dynamic marketplace for honey and honey products."
       4-H ESSAY CONTEST NEEDS ENTRIES (from June 1994 APIS newsletter)
          What does it take to get 4-Hers to sit down and write an essay? 
       That's  the  burning  question those at  the  American  Beekeeping
       Federation  (ABF)  and  myself are asking  after  looking  at  the
       results  of  last  year's 4-H essay contest.   Only  fifteen  (15)
       states  submitted  winners  and (Iowa) was  not  among  them.   In
       addition,  the vast majority of these states had only one  to  two
       entries to choose from.  There are three top cash prizes each year
       ($250,  $100 and $50),  plus the winner in each state is awarded a
       book on beekeeping.  This boils down to one fact:  there's a great
       opportunity to win something by simply entering!
          The  rules  for this year's contest have just  been  announced. 
       The topic this year is much different than from previous contests. 
       The  essayist  is asked to write an original story on  honey  bees
       suitable   for  a  teacher  to  read  to  second-grade   students. 
       Suggested titles include:   The Busy Little Bee,  I Like Honey,  A
       Trip to the Apiary, or My Friend,  the Beekeeper.   There's plenty
       of time to get a story together for this year's contest;  deadline
       is April 1, 1995! 
          Full contest rules are available from Bob Cox,  State Apiarist,
       phone 515-281-5736 or the ABF Office, phone 912-427-8447.

       A BEGINNER'S BAIT HIVES by Peter Coyle
          Having read in John Vivian's book,  Keeping Bees,  about  "bees
       for free,"  by placing bait hives in trees and then,  again in the
       Aebi's  book about their bait hives,  my Scottish  parsimony  took
       over.   Last year I made my first swarm trap and was excited  when
       some  scout  bees started sniffing around and into  it.   However,
       some  of  Walt Disney's beloved delinquent  squirrels  knocked  on
       wood, tasted it and found it good, wherein the bees departed.
          Unable  to  harass  my  bees during the  winter,  I  turned  to
       collecting on bait hives,  which being a novice in the  beekeeping
       game,  is  my substitute for knowledge.   I got  Cornell's,  "Bait
       Hives for Honey Bees"  by Seeley,  Morse and Nowogrodzki and could
       just  see  the bees rolling in.  Then there were the  articles  by
       Schmidt, Thoenes and Hurley, from the American Bee Journal,  which
       explained the importance of pheromone lures,  which I just knew  I
       had to have.   I could visualize all those winter clusters of bees
       over  half  of Iowa impatient to zoom into my traps.   However,  a
       catalog  price of twenty dollars for what they described as  being
       made of inexpensive material,  and what I gathered would only be a
       kind of paper mache, deep, brood box, sent me to the workshop with
       cardboard and thin plywood scraps to construct an alternative.
          I  had read that a volume roughly the size of a deep hive  body
       was  most  favored,   (although  recently  opinion  has  changed). 
       Climbing  ladders and trees with a full box of bees  required  the
       box to be as light as possible.   Everything I made had a coating,
       externally,  of  roof cement,  thinned with   mineral  spirits  to
       sicken  the squirrels off and I capped each hive with a  lid  made
       from   discarded   aluminum  soffit  to   keep   everything   dry. 
       Internally,  each had homemade rough frames of standard  dimension
       with  a waxed starter strip which would easily transfer to a  deep
       hive body.  I then sat and itched for Spring.
          The  last  week in April,  I was out with the  ladder  visiting
       friends who might have suitable spots in trees about ten to twelve
       feet  up,  with  morning  sun and afternoon  shade,  just  as  the
       literature suggested.   Now,  at the end of June, I have had three
       swarms from one hive and two from another,  with scout bees  still
       buzzing  around  the  emptied boxes.  The  first  swarm,  which  I
       weighed like a proud father,  was five and a half pounds and  made
       some nice comb honey for me.   The last one,  which was so big  it
       filled  the  whole  trap  and had a pound or  two  of  bees  still
       outside,  I  collected  in  a screened  box  using  a  funnel  and
       transferring  it  to a medium super of foundation  and  two  round
       section  supers  at  dusk,  feeling  exhilarated  beyond  measure. 
       However,  the next day, when I looked in the afternoon,  they were
       gone,  leaving  me as devastated as I had been  exhilarated.   Too
       late, I now have two homemade entrance guards.
          In  collecting one swarm which had started to build  comb  from
       the  bottom of the trap,  I missed the open sack on the end  of  a
       pole,  held  helpfully by my companion and neighbor,  Cheryl,  and
       brushed a couple pounds of less than happy bees on her head.  This
       made me more acquainted with the language of liberation.
          Two  other bait hives in suburbia have never had a  snifter  so
       far.  Perhaps in bee real estate the three most  important  things
       are location, location and location.
          My experience,  limited as it is, suggests that I should err on
       the  large  side with the boxes,  worrying less about  the  spaces
       around the frames, as the bees are unlikely to construct burr comb
       between  inspections,  although one swarm built comb  on  about  a
       third of nine frames in just a couple of days.
          The mistakes I made were very instructional, if humbling.   Ah,
       but just wait until next year.

       FOR SALE:  7 bee hives, two-story plus misc.  equipment.   Contact
       Raymond and Jo Whitwood, Muscatine. phone (319)263-0992.

       FOR SALE:  55-gallon drums $6.00 each; 20 or more $5.00 each.
       Call Harry Hunter in Des Moines at (515)266-1984.

       FOR SALE:  Stainless 8-frame extractor with Dayton electric motor,
       cappings  knife and misc.  supers, frames,  lids & boxes.   Asking
       $200/offer.  If interested call Des Moines at (515)270-8726, leave
       message if no answer.

       FOR  SALE:    Kelley  electric,  vibrating  uncapping  knife  with
       electric motor $175;  Kelley steam vibrating uncapping knife $125;
       Dadant electric stainless mini-melter $350; C.C. Pollen Co.  traps
       used only one season $30 each.   Call Monroe Neihart near Clarinda
       (712)582-3200.

       FOR SALE:  Qualitly Section Comb Honey in Cartons $1.90 each. Call
       Stanley Weiser, 2674 - 303rd Pl. in Adel. Ph: (515)993-3126.

       "Butter  and HONEY shall he eat,  that he may know to  refuse  the
       evil and choose the good."  (Isaiah 7:15)
                               CALENDAR OF EVENTS
       AUGUST
       11-21        Iowa State Fair Apiary Exhibit, 2nd Floor of
                    Agriculture Building,  State Fairgrounds,  Des Moines 
                    Open daily 9:00 a.m.- 9:00 p.m. Come see the best!

       SEPTEMBER - NATIONAL HONEY MONTH
       9-10         Laplanders Honey Conference 6:00 p.m. the 10th and
                    Honey Walnut Classic 10 a.m. the 11th both at the
                    Inn in Allerton, Iowa.

       12           Eastcentral Iowa Beekeepers Meeting 7:00 p.m. in
                    basement of Montgomery Hall, Johnson County
                    Fairgrounds, Iowa City

       15           Scott County Beekeepers Meeting 7:00 p.m. at Riefes
                    Restaurant, Locust St., Davenport.

       17           Central Iowa Beekeepers Meeting at Royal Cafe in
                    Huxley.  Buffet dinner at 5:30 p.m., Business Meeting
                    6:30 p.m. and Program at 7:30 p.m. (We will try again
                    to show the Bee Emergency Video.)

       NOVEMBER     
       11-12        Iowa Honey Producers Annual Meeting in Marshalltown.

       FOR  SALE:   Home Study Course "Rearing Honey Bee  Queens  in  the
       Northern U.S."  (with manual and video tape) by Dr.  Marla  Spivak
       and Gary S. Reuter, the University of Minnestota.  $40.00  Contact
       Dept.  of Entomology,  University of Minnesota,  Hodson Hall,  St.
       Paul, MN 55108-6125 or call Dr. Spivak at (612) 624-4798.

       Dear Beekeeper Friends,
          I  am  writing this short announcement to let you know  of  the
       recent  loss of my father, Russell Stephenson of  Williams,  Iowa. 
       He died suddenly in his home on May 19th at the age of 77.
          As some of you know,  he sold his business,  "Stephenson  Honey
       Farms"  in 1993 and retired.  He loved the beekeeping business and
       being able to work in the outdoors.   He offered great  assistance
       and advise to several beekeepers and those interested in the field
       during  his life.   My father enjoyed talking to many of you  over
       the  years  and  sharing the constant cares and  concerns  of  the
       Midwest beekeeper.  [Editor:  I certainly enjoyed getting to  know
       Mr. Stephenson when inspecting his equipment for the sale.  He had
       an  efficient way to handle frames during the  extracting  process
       and  developed a unique way of removing excess moisture  from  his
       honey after it was extracted and checked his own bees for tracheal
       mites with his microscope.   He certainly applied his  engineering
       skills learned in his silo construction company to the  beekeeping
       business.]  Thanks for being a special part of my father's  life!! 
       He will be greatly missed!
                     -Thomas Russell Stephenson and The Stephenson Family
       OTHER INSECTS OCCUPYING BEE HIVES
             Sometimes   beekeepers  may  become  alarmed  or  at   least
       concerned about insects other than honey bees inside their  hives. 
       At times the beekeeper may see cockroaches, ants, beetles, spiders
       and  wax  worms  (moth larvae) occupying their bee  hives.   As  a
       general rule healthy,  populous colonies are not damaged by  these
       insect guests.
             Many  times wax moths are blamed for the death of  colonies. 
       This  is almost never the case in Iowa.   The wax moth larvae  are
       nature's clean-up crew after a colony dies.   This can actually be
       helpful  if  the colony died from American  foulbrood  disease  by
       reducing  the probability of spreading the disease to  neighboring
       colonies.   The best way to prevent damage to your combs after the
       colony  has  died is to keep an eye on your bees and pick  up  any
       empty hive equipment from the beeyard.   
             The primary problem beekeepers encounter is in storing empty
       beeswax comb, especially brood comb during the warm summer months.
       A few years ago several products were available for fumigating  or
       treating  stored beeswax combs.   These products are  designed  to
       kill insects, therefore fumigated combs should always be aired out
       for a few hours before placing them on the bees.
             Most    recently,    the   product   "Paramoth"    (PDB    -
       Paradichlorobenzene)  is  no longer available for  bee  equipment. 
       I've heard conflicting reports from beekeeping supply houses as to
       the fate of registration of this product for treatment of  beeswax
       combs.   One  story  is  that PDB is  a  carcinogen  and  EPA  has
       withdrawn  registration  for use on beeswax.   Another  beekeeping
       supply  dealer says they will have approval from EPA to  sell  PDB
       later this fall.
             Outside of using chemical products, combs can be placed in a
       deep  freezer  for a few days to kill any adult moths,  larvae  or
       eggs.   Additionally,  the moths do not like light or  fresh  air. 
       Therefore, storing combs in a way that they are exposed to both of
       these  elements  may be of some help.   Light colored  combs  from
       honey supers are pretty safe from the moths.
             Another  system that may work for you is to keep empty  comb
       stored  on  the colonies where the bees will keep  the  moths  out
       during  the  warm  months  (June,  July,  August,   September  and
       October).  Then, bring in empty equipment and store in an unheated
       building  for  the  winter  and  nature  will  give  them  a  cold
       treatment.

       Dear Iowa Honey Promoter:
          Along with getting your honey harvested,  it's time to plan  to
       promote  your  state's beekeeping or honey exhibit at  your  local
       fair  or  festival.   To aid in honey promotions  Media  kits  are
       available  from  the  National Honey Board  by  contacting  Sherry
       Jennings,  Industry  Relations Director at  (303)776-2337.   Media
       kits include: a story on pollination, newsreleases,  summer recipe
       tips and two new recipe leaflets -- "Bringing You Nature's  Bounty
       Is Our Line"  and "Make Magic in Minutes."   Use the media kit  to
       give  to local newspaper editors, television news shows and  radio
       stations the latest buzz on honey.
       BRINGING YOU NATURE'S BOUNTY IS OUR LINE -- Recipes from NHB.

                             Back to Nature Cookies

       1/2   cup shortening             1   cup honey
       2     eggs                       1   teaspoon vanilla
       1-3/4 cups whole wheat flour     1/2 teaspoon baking soda
       1/2   baking powder              1/4 teaspoon salt
       1     teaspoon cinnamon          2   cups quick-cooking oats
       1/2   cup chopped nuts           1/2 cup finely chopped apple
       1     cup raisins

       In a large mixing bowl,  cream shortening and honey until  fluffy. 
       Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Stir in
       vanilla.   In  medium  bowl,  stir together  flour,  soda,  baking
       powder,  salt and cinnamon.  Add dry ingredients to honey mixture,
       beating  until smooth.   Stir in oats,  nuts,  apple and  raisins. 
       Drop  by  teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets about  2  inches
       apart.  Bake at 350 F 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are golden
       brown. Makes about 5 dozen.

                           Honey Pork Chops & Apples

                    6   pork loin chops (about 3/4-inch thick)
                        Salt, pepper and ground sage
                    2   Granny Smith or other tart apples
                    1   tablespoon butter or margarine
                    1/4 cup HONEY
                    6   Maraschino cherries (optional)

       Brown  chops  slowly in skillet; remove to  shallow  baking  dish.
       Season  chops with salt,  pepper and sage.  Core and slice  apples
       into 1/2-inch rings.  Add butter to skillet and saute apple  rings
       until  crisp-tender.  Place 1 apple ring on each chop.  Cover  and
       bake at 300 F for 30 minutes. Drizzle honey over apples and chops;
       baste  with drippings.  Cover and bake 15 minutes longer or  until
       pork is fully cooked. Place cherry in center of apple rings before
       serving. Makes 6 servings.

                     Honey-Kissed Fruit (Microwave Method)

                     1/4 cup honey      
                     1   teaspoon grated orange peel
                     2   fresh pears, pared, cored and halved
                     1   can (5-1/4 oz.) pineapple chunks, drained
                     1   cup each red and green grapes, halved, seeded

       Blend  honey  and  orange  peel;  set  aside.  Place  pears  in  4
       microwave-safe serving glasses; drizzle with honey mixture.  Cover
       each glass with plastic wrap;  vent. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 3 to
       5 minutes or until pears are tender. Combine pineapple and grapes.
       Divide evenly between servings and sprinkle over pears. Serve warm
       or cold. Makes 4 servings.
                             Honey Cloverleaf Rolls

                    1   package (16 oz.) hot roll mix
                    6   tablespoons honey, divided
                    1/4 cup butter or margarine
                    1   teaspoon grated lemon peel
                    1   cup sliced almonds

       Prepare   dough   according  to  package  directions,   adding   2
       tablespoons honey to liquid. Cover kneaded dough with bowl and let
       stand 5 minutes.  Melt butter and remaining honey;  stir in  lemon
       peel.  Roll dough into 36 balls (about 1 to 1-1/2 inch  diameter).
       Form clusters of three balls,  dip each in honey mixture and  then
       almonds.  Place each cluster in well-greased muffin cup.  Let rise
       30  minutes  or  until doubled in bulk. Bake at 350  F  15  to  20
       minutes  or  until lightly browned. Brush with honey  mixture,  if
       desired. Makes 12 rolls.

           Honey Cranberry Butter

       1   cup butter, softened
       1/4 cup HONEY
       1/4 cup chopped cranberries*
       1/4 cup cranberry sauce
       2   tablespoons ground walnuts
       1   tablespoon milk
       2   teaspoons grated orange
           peel

       Cream   butter  and  honey   in
       medium  bowl. Add  cranberries,
       cranberry sauce, walnuts,  milk
       and  orange  peel.  Whip  until
       light pink in color.  Serve  at
       room   temperature;  store   in
       refrigerator, tightly covered.

       *    Use   fresh   or    frozen
       cranberries,  if desired;  chop
       before thawing.

       New NHB recipe folder; see page 7 for recipes.