Subject: NEWBIE HELP

From: [email-masked] (STEFAN PENAS)
Date: 12 Sep 1994 14:06:47 GMT

Hello, I am new and on Saturday I purchased eleven used supers. 

My question is, what is the most effective way to clean them of any 
microbial contaminates which might harm the bee packages in the 
spring. Also is there any supply shops that anyone knows of near 
Lincoln NE. 

Thank-you in advance for any tips or suggestions.
Stefan

You can e-mail me at <[email-masked]> or respond here.

---

From: [email-masked] (Malcolm Roe)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 1994 16:32:39 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (STEFAN PENAS) writes:
>spring.

In the UK the usual method is to flame the boxes.  First you should
scrape most of the wax and propolis off.  Then you need a blowlamp.
You play the flame over the surface of the wood.  When you're finished
the surface should be scorched to a dark brown colour.  I don't know
of any relaible way to sterilize the frames, let alone the wax, so you
need to replace them.

In some parts of the world molten paraffin wax is used.  I'll leave it
to someone with experience of this method to give instructions.

In theory radiation can be used which should sterilize the frames
and wax too but I don't know of anyone using this method in practice.

-- 
Malcolm Roe                            Phone  :  +44 442 230000 ext 5104
Crosfield Electronics Ltd              Fax    :  +44 442 232301
Hemel Hempstead, Herts. HP2 7RH, UK    E-mail :  [email-masked] 
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Aaron Morris)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 94 09:22:49 EDT

In article <[email-masked]>
[email-masked] (Malcolm Roe) writes:
 
>...
Radiation has been proven to be highly effective for the treatment of
AFB, killing virtually all viable spores, documented in a recent issue
of American Bee Journal.  The hard part is finding a facility to nuke
your equipment.  Otherwise, as Malcolm stated, treat with fire.
 
Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!