Subject: 9 frame vs. 10 frame

From: [email-masked] (Gary Welzenbach)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 18:26:39 GMT

I have noticed in some equipment that I have inherited from other 
beekeepers that they used 9 frame spacers in the hive bodies. In these 
hives it seems to have worked well with very little cross comb. I am 
thinking about setting up my new hive bodies this way. I have some 10 
frame hive bodies that I have to remove two or more frames at a time
due to either cross comb building or the bees will build out on one frame 
so that it extends into the next frames space where they won't build at
all.Any comments on the possible problems would be appreciated.
                                          Gary Welzenbach

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: 10 Apr 1995 18:59:44 GMT

RE: 9 frame vs. 10

Nice to use 9 frames. If you are starting out with foundation, go with 10
then once they are drawn, take one out and use 9.
 Some use 8 for honey supers.
Adam
-- 
______________________________________
Adam Finkelstein 
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 10 Apr 1995 23:37:17 -0400

all. Any comments on the possible problems would be appreciated.

   If you move bees often (pollination or migration to nectar flows) 9
frames in the brood chamber is risky.  Truck vibration can get loose
frames swinging and beat the bees to death.  Queens can be lost this way,
as well as large quantities of workers.  I use 10 frame in the brood
chamber, and 8 or 9 in supers.  If I had 9 frames, I'd make darn sure they
are well glued by the bees before transport.

[email-masked]                          Dave Green
PO Box 1215, Hemingway, SC  29554