Subject: Re: stings

From: [email-masked] (Aaron Morris)
Date: Mon, 01 May 95 11:03:41 EDT

In article <[email-masked]>
[email-masked] (Cindy Hunchak) writes:
 
>
>Does anyone know a good remedy for stopping the pain after a beesting....
 
Time.

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Inget)
Date: Sat, 6 May 1995 15:32:50

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Aaron Morris) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Aaron Morris)
>Subject: Re: stings
>Date: Mon, 01 May 95 11:03:41 EDT

>>Does anyone know a good remedy for stopping the pain after a beesting....

 Yes and get the stinger out by scraping skin with sharp knife. Honey works 
for some. Try hitting your big toe with a hammer, you will forget about a 
little sting.
BerryBob

---

From: [email-masked] (bill fernihough)
Date: 9 May 1995 04:20:43 GMT

You can buy some stuff called after sting, an ammonia based product which
works very well, or try secret deodorant, it has some type of alumina
compound which also works.

---

From: "Sharon J. Collman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 05:23:19 GMT

Regarding bee sting pain:

I have a Master Gardener from another country who kept piping up that for 
bee stings ammonia was the solution.  And if you were in the field, you 
carry your own personal supply.  I was quite reluctant to swallow this.

However, the inevitable happened, I was stung.  It hurt like H...for 
about an hour.  Finally, I decided to test the theory like a good 
scientist; an easy feat since I was stung on the finger.  The pain eased 
immediately, not the swelling or redness, just the pain.

About 3 hours later the pain returned.  Another "application" and the 
pain subsided.  Had I crossed the twilight zone?  Is the mind a willing 
partner in this?  This is not a scientific test.  But it is a remedy, I'm 
willing to gather extra data on next time I'm stung.  (Hopefully not on 
my shoulder.)

Meat tenderizer is also supposed to work to reduce the affects of the toxin.

Finally, scraping the stinger with a fingernail, between skin and poison 
sac, so as not to squeeze more poison into the wound.  Yellowjackets 
don't have barbed stingers so don't usually leave poison sacs and 
stinger, but I suppose that a tensed muscle could pinch it enough to pull 
it free of the wasp.

Pay close attention within 15 minutes of the sting event for any signs of 
an affect not attached to the site of the sting.  As I understand it, the 
a serious swelling that radiates out from the sting is a serious reaction.

A reaction separate from the sting, (ie stung on finger, eye swells) is 
an allergic reaction.  Any sign of tightess of the chest, esophagous, 
difficulty breathing, should be taken seriously and to immediate medical 
help.  

Contact an allergist if you think you are allegic to bees.  The 
test includes several venoms from the several kinds of stinging insects 
as I understand it.  I obtained this information from a reputable 
allergist but would recommend that you contact your own for correct 
information for your area as I have no medical training, just a long 
interest in providing information.

> for some. Try hitting your big toe with a hammer, you will forget about a 

Sharon J. Collman
c/o Center For Urban Horticulture
University of Washington  GF-15
Seattle, WA  98195

Phone:  206-543-8616 
Fax:    206-685-2692
EMail:  [email-masked]

NOTE NEW ADDRESS