Subject: CBPV

From: [email-masked] (Pete C Gray)
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 1994 22:12:06 GMT

Does anyone have experience with Chronic Bee
Paralisys Virus?

All the literature that I have trawled thru
merely describes the symptoms. How easily is it
communicvated between colonies, what treatments 
(if any) are available, or do I just burn the
colonies and start again?

---

From: [email-masked] (Adrian Graham DENT - Rodent)
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 1994 09:53:02 GMT

>Does anyone have experience with Chronic Bee

I don't have any experience with this disease myself, but here is what my 
book says.

"Virus particles may enter pores in the cuticle and through broken bristles, 
where the cytoplasm is briefly exposed to other bees that may be infected.  
The virus may also be secreted from hypopharyngeal glands as bees moisten 
pollen during foraging flights.  
Paralysis seems to be related to genetic factors, with some queens seeming 
to pass on susceptibilityto paralysis to their worker progeny.  In some 
instances, bees can cary the virus without ill effect until some factor 
reduces their natural resistance. [....]"
and now the bit you want to know...

"Paralysis can be overcome by requeening...with a queen that does not carry 
the susceptibility factor.  Recovery may be assisted by reducing stress and 
placing hives on good nectar and pollen resources..."

_Beekeeping_ 7th edition 1991. Prepared by the Victorian Department of  
Agriculture, Editor: Russel Goodman.

I hope that is of some help.
Adrian.