Subject: What's this bumblebee?

From: [email-masked] (Paul Petty)
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 16:43:02

A neighbor (near Portland OR) has a small birdhouse which is occupied by some 
bumblebees.  Their most distinct markings are whitish spots on the thorax and 
a bright reddish brown abdomen.  The abdomen color is mostly solid towards the 
front with black and brown stripes at the end, similar to a honeybees yellow 
and black color.  On the back of the thorax are a couple of  white or 
yellowish white spots.  The rest of the bee is dark colored.  It is also quite 
fuzzy looking.  Their size seemed to vary a lot.  The smallest ones were 
slightly larger than a honeybee drone with the largest ones about twice that 
size.  When I saw them they were flying in with pollen loads on their legs.  
They seemed fairly gentle.

The neighbor would like his birdhouse without the bees.  I would like to find 
out what they are before deciding what to do with them.  Any ideas?

Thanks

---

From: "Sharon J. Collman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 05:38:10 GMT

I can't identify the bee more than suggesting that is likely a bumble bee.
But then you knew that.  

Bumble bees are generally fairly docile and reluctant to sting.  I've had 
one or two volunteers who would remove the bumblebee nests and place them 
in a nest box in another location.  They closed it up with some honey and 
water for a day till they got used to their new home, then let the bees out. 

In my own garden, I consider it a very natural cycle to have chickadees one 
year, and bumble bees in the nest the next.  It is quite wonderful.  At 
the end of the bee year, I clean the birdhouse and it starts all over 
again.   If the neighbor can tolerated the expense, I'd add another nest 
box this year and leave the bees alone.  Then at the end of the year 
clean out the bee box, but not the bird box.  If you can get the cycles 
to alternate you can have the best of both worlds.

For Bumblebee info, get Bumblebee Economics by Bernd Heinrich. Harvard 
University Press.  1979.  ISBN:0-674-08580-9 cloth; 0-674-08581-7 paper.

There is also a Bombus (Bumblebee) mail list

to send a message to the list send to

	[email-masked] which is maintained by Chris Plowright

to subscribe send a message to [email-masked]
using the usual subscribe bombus yourfirstname yourlastname  

Good luck.

> out what they are before deciding what to do with them.  Any ideas?

Sharon J. Collman
c/o Center For Urban Horticulture
University of Washington  GF-15
Seattle, WA  98195

Phone:  206-543-8616 
Fax:    206-685-2692
EMail:  [email-masked]

NOTE NEW ADDRESS

---

From: [email-masked] (Douglas A Conner)
Date: 19 May 1995 15:59:42 -0700

Brian Neumann <[email-masked]> writes:

>[email-masked] (Paul Petty) had an inquiry about some different bumblebees:
>>
>> (near Portland OR) ... 
>> Their most distinct markings are whitish spots on the thorax and 

>I have been wondering about these red fuzzy bees! I haven't seen a nest,
>but I have notice some larger than honeybees, but not fat as a bombus! 
>If anyone knows what they are, I am interested. So much, that I searched the
>newsgroups to find out!!!

>Thanks,

>Brian

>*******************************************************************************

>      "Note: All words (except "fire" and "wheel") and all alphanumeric 
> characters in the preceding are registered trademarks of Microsoft." -Anon.

>*******************************************************************************
I have a hive of these bees in my attic.  I'm located about 20 miles east
of Portland Or.  I'm going to have them removed next week, so if anyone
is interested in seeing the hive prior to its removal, send me mail and
we'll make arrangements.

Thanks,
Doug
[email-masked]