Subject: Re: apicultural management and troll response(was Re: Cat Quandary)

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Smith)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 16:06:48 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
 on 19 Jan 1995 13:39:37 -0500,
 Corey Lee Bishop <[email-masked]> writes:
>Jeff Smith ([email-masked]) wrote:
>: In article <[email-masked]>,
>:  on 17 Jan 1995 09:48:17 -0500,
>:  Corey Lee Bishop <[email-masked]> writes:
>: >Jeff Smith ([email-masked]) wrote:
Subject: Re: apicultural management and troll response(was Re: Cat Quandary)
From: [email-masked] (Jeff Smith)
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Jeff Smith)
Organization: GPL
Path: jeffs
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: talk.politics.animals,sci.agriculture.beekeeping
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 15:27:26 GMT

>:>: Just how is my statement wrong?  (Realize that at no point have I
>:>: suggested that honey bee pollination is not useful OR widely used
>:>: in fruit and vegetable production.)  Other bees and other insects
>:>: *do* pollinate fruit crops, the question is:  how much is done by
>:>: honey bees?  Sue claims they are "necessary".  I suggest that fruit
>:>: was growing (and being "produced") in America before the honey bee
>:>: arrived.

>:>Exactly what fruits are you referring to?  Bear in mind that most of
>:>our fruits and vegetables are from imported species that did not
>:>exist on this continent before Europeans came.

>:Well, remember that others were living off the land (hunting,
>:gathering, and farming) before Europeans arrived.  Among those items
>:the American Indians farmed were peas, beans, corn, potatoes, squashes
>:and the like.  There were also plums and cherries growing here prior
>:to the honey bee's arrival, as well as a plethora of berries (currents,
>:cranberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc), various nuts (chestnuts,
>:hazelnuts, hickory nuts), seed plants (sunflower), various grains,
>:various melons, a variety of grapes, tomatoes, and so on.

>Since you are against exploitation of bees, do you restrict your diets
>to foods that are not mainly fertilized by honey bees?

I would be surprised if anyone (vegan, AR, whatever) did this. Please
indicate why you think anyone should.  (Are you abandoning the issue of
necessity at this point?)

(Note:  let's be kind with the cross-posts and keep to the appropriate
 newsgroup.  It's reasonable enough to have this thread in sci.agri-
 culture.beekeeping only so long as it has some technical bearing; if
 you really want to discuss diet and morality, please redirect follow-
 ups appropriately.)

>Sue

-Jeff Smith
 [email-masked]