Subject: Bee disease: preventative vs treatment

From: [email-masked] (Mike Killoran)
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 94 12:10:17 -0400

Another newbie question from someone who just started this spring!
I've read a bit about the various bee diseases and what to do about
them, but I'm always left wondering how old the information is
(especially in the case of mites) and whether the treatment is
preventative or only used when the problem becomes obvious.  Here's
what I believe - please expand on this info or correct:

There are four problems to worry about:

1 Foulbrood (both American and European)
2 Nosema
3 Varroa mites
4 Tracheal mites

>From reading I think the following is to be done:

1 Feed terramycin in spring and fall to control foulbrood.  It seems
  like this is always present to some degree, but is manageable.

2 Fumidil 'B' for control of Nosema.  Again, spring and fall feedings
  for prevention.

3 Apistan strips when you KNOW you have Varroa mites.  Not preventative,
  but reactive.

4 Extender pattys (vegetable shortening) or Menthol when you KNOW you
  have Tracheal mites.  Not preventative either.

So...  I haven't done anything yet to my bees (the package they came in
had an Apistan strip which I didn't move into the hive).  This fall I
plan to feed both Terramycin and Fumidil 'B'.  As the hive seems very
healthy, I will not treat for any mites.

Am I doing the right thing?  Any other diseases to worry about?  Should
I not treat for anything?  Etc, etc...  I've heard of hives with AFB
being burned and certainly don't want my hive to have to end this way!
Your personal ideas and schedule for disease control would be helpful.

	Thanks,  Mike Killoran
--
Mike Killoran                            Zen says:
[email-masked]                  Cease to do evil,
(617) 981-2667                        Try to do good.

---

From: [email-masked] (Adrian Graham DENT - Rodent)
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 1994 14:00:03 GMT

>1 Foulbrood (both American and European)

Starvation.
Wax Moth.
Pesticides.

>From what I understand, terramyacin is only effective against EFB, and the 
only "cure" for AFB is to destroy all materials.  In my opinion, it is 
better to destroy the materials anyway, because this stops other hives 
picking up the disease.  It is better to destroy one hive, than to have to 
give extra attention to dozens of "sickies".
Also, in Australia (why do I bother wity this..I'm the only aussie here) 
terramycin is (now...it wasn't five years ago) only available for diagnosed 
cases from a vet. (?!?!? a vet?!?!?!)

>2 Fumidil 'B' for control of Nosema.  Again, spring and fall feedings

Making sure you have generaly strong hives is the best solution.  From what 
I understand, and I could be wrong, there is no actual cure for nosema ( I 
would like to be wrong :->  ) but in strong and otherwise healthy hives, it 
dosen't usualy present a problem.  I am not 100% positive here, but I have 
heard that nosema is present in 90% of all bee colonies (or more).

>3 Apistan strips when you KNOW you have Varroa mites.  Not preventative,

No comment, because WE DON'T HAVE VARROA IN AUSTRALIA.  (rub...rub....)

>  have Tracheal mites.  Not preventative either.

No comment...I have never had to deal with tracheal mites either.

>healthy, I will not treat for any mites.

I wonder....why was the apistan strip in the pakage...as you said, Apistan 
when you KNOW you have varroa mites....surely you would only be shipped 
healthy bees??

If you don't have AFB alredy (and you shouldn't) then mahaging your hives to 
avoid robbers, and to avoid leaving honey and wax (and products thereof) 
lying around where the bees can get to them, then you shouldn't pick it 
up... 

Now,.....I could be wrong in a few of my facts here, and if I am, someone 
please correct me.  and Mike....talk to someone in your own area.  Laws 
change from place to place, and different places also have diferent 
treatments.
I think (and again I could be wrong) that REGISTERED Australian (or at least 
Victorian) beekeepers get recompensed for hives destroyed due to AFB.

Adrian ( hey...I TRIED to be helpful......)