Subject: Land of Milk & Honey

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 05:01:00 GMT

originally in conference IN--RURALmis on WILDBEES (WILD BEE'S BBS)
                    ----------------------------------------
 [email-masked] (david R. Smith)refer#: None
 wrote:
>During that period most opinion polls of both consumers and
>farmers ran 90% against BGH.
 |----end quotes---------------------------------|

   Heck, David, bet the same city people if polled would not want
to live next to a diary farm or a diary farmer...City people are
biased when it comes to farmers in any form, a natural bias as most
moved to the city to get away from the farm generations ago. City people
know farmers are genetically different, farmers plunder, rape, and kill
only what is necessary to produce food for themselves and to sell to
others, unlike city people who do it randomly for the fun of it.
Government policy is also biased, they want the farmer to do what ever
is necessary to supply a adequate supply of food, just as long as it is
cheep. Anything else they could care less, after all farmers don't make
up any significant voting blocks, and mostly are represented by others
who sell things to farmers, insurance companies, supplies, the AARP,
and the like.

   A lot has to do with how or why the poll was taken in the first
place. Nobody that does not know what BTH is, including me, would
want it added to their ice cream. But the same people could have a
different opinion if it was going to make that ice cream less expensive.

   The reality of it all is that milk once it leaves the dairy farm is
like a raw ingredient for manufacturing this product or that. It is not
what came from the cow in its natural state.

   Its strained to get the lumps out, chilled to capture its fresh
flavor, heated to kill the little bugs, separated into its different
fractions, and then assembled to produce a finished product with the
addition of this chemical or that depending on the product. It stopped
being natural when it left the cows udder for the bucket.

   As far a BGH goes, don't see what the fuss is about. We should be
so worried about the other things that get added to milk and products
made with milk. The cultures of this or that, guargums, seaweeds,
and weird powered stuff not unlike what is sold in a Chinese drug store
made of powered dried cow parts and the like. Some of this stuff if
eaten alone would gag a maggot if it did not poison you.

Like I said not being a dairyman I am willing to leave it up to the
Dairyman what he puts in his cows, if its safe by government standards,
and BGH seems to have passed the tests its OK with me. Heck I drink
chocolate milk anyway...

   We being the Land of Milk and Honey, have advanced to the point
in civilization that Honey is the only natural food left of the two.
Honey has nothing added, nothing taken away, no government support, if
you buy it from your local politically right American Honey producer,
anything else is buyer beeware.

                                  ttul Andy-

   ______________________
  (//////////////////////)     For ANYDAY, no gift say's more!
  (//////////////////////)
  /~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\             "H-O-N-E-Y  I LOVE YOU !
 |     Wild Flower!       |
 |                        |              .,,,,,,,,,,.
 |  _   _          \    / |            ,;;;;;;;;;;;;;;,
 | | |_| | __      _ \/   |          ,;;;;;;;;;;;)));;(((,,;;;,,_
 | | |-| |:  :|\ |:_ ::   |         ,;;;;;;;;;;'      |)))))))))))\\
 | |_| |_|:__:| \|:_ ||   |         ;;;;;;/ )''    - /,)))((((((((((\
 |                        |         ;;;;' \        ~|\  ))))))))))))))
 |  Product of LOVE 16oz  |         /     /         |   ((((((((((((((
 |________________________|       /'      \      _/~'    ')|()))))))))
                                /'         `\   />     o_/)))((((((((
  Flowers are great, but for   /          /' `~~(____ /  ()))))))))))
  a Love that lasts HONEY is  |     ---,   \        \     ((((((((((
  the right treatment...!               `\   \~-_____|      ))))))))
  "Omar Kiyamm" 5th Cen. Apiarist         `\  |      |_.---.  \  -Tua Xiong

(c)Permission to reproduce, granted.
(U)Opinions are not necessarily fact.
Check the facts before expressing opinion.

---

From: Libby Goldstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 1995 12:35:31 -0800 (PST)

Hi Andy,

I can't believe it's been a whole year. Did you ever get the copy
of Green Scene I sent you?

Re BGH: if a farmer wants to put it in his cows, that's clearly up
to the farmer. I don't have to drink milk from that farm tho, and
I prob'ly wont.

Happy Spring,

Libby

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 06:56:00 GMT

|-----------------|Libby Goldstein <[email-masked]>refer#: None
 wrote:
>Newsgroups: sci.agriculture.beekeeping
>Subject: Re: Land of Milk & Honey
>Date: Sun, 26 Feb 1995 12:35:31 -0800 (PST)
>

   Hello Libby,

     Must be near spring and you are coming out from hibernation.<G>

  Yes, thanks, I did get the issue of Green Scene, VERY WELL DONE,
now I know what happened to all the good farm magazines, they moved to
the city along with the farm kids.

     I don't think you will see much BGH as feed is to high, and for
it to work you got to pore the feed to the cows. Would be nice if
someone had a yard full of over fat cows. Anyway things in the diary
industry are not that good and we will be seeing some real reductions
in the future if the economics don't change. The day may come when
more of our milk will come from off shore, like so much of our honey
does. People really don't care as long as its cheep and they can get it
when they want it. Heck, the milk you buy at the store today is still
better then what I juiced out of my cow when I was a kid.

     But nobody milks beef cows anyway. My old cow, Daisy, was a cross
breed, more Hereford then anything else, she was special and produced
many twin calves, always named Pete and Repeat. Repeat was a girl cow,
but I never got attached to these pets as we always ate them in time.
Daisy the real pet, some who did not know her said pest, anyway, she
allowed us kids to ride her like a horse. And if you could catch her
lying down she made a wonderful warm place to rest on and watch the
clouds blowing by during a early warm spring afternoon, full of sea
birds many miles inland from the angry seas or just hawks and buzzards
riding the thermals to new heights.

Open range was being replaced by homes and fences, but Daisy knew no
fence that kept her from better grass on the far side. She could clear a
normal fence and would just as soon jump one as go through it. Never
once had to take her to a bull, when it was time she just left and a day
or so later some neighbor would bring her home, saying he did not know
how she got in his bull pasture but she did. As the city folk moved to
the country in her last year at home she took a wrong turn and pastured
the grass and flowers from the back yards of many new city folk
neighbors in one of those new fan dangled golf course subdivisions, once
the neighbors pun'kin patch and flower seed gardens. About the 2nd
or 3rd time my dad decided it was time to return her to the freedom of
the heard many miles back in the hills and my days as a dairy maid were
over for good. You know that little callas on the top of my thumb, the
sign of a good Swiss milker, that I was so proud of is also gone or
reduced to just another age spot.

Heck even then we knew we could buy milk and beef cheeper then we could
raise it, but it was good training for kids, kind'a like Army, up at
dawn, down at dark and your reward is a good nights sleep. Darn thats
sounds like the bee business to me.

     Well, welcome back, what was it a boy or girl?, anyway looking
forward to some of your good posts from the inter city wild lands.

                            ttul Andy-