Subject: Thin honey: Mystery is solved!

From: [email-masked] (Kerry Drach)
Date: 17 Oct 1994 20:15:30 GMT

I want to thank everyone (Dave, Adam, and Mark; hope I didn't forget anyone)
who responded to my query about thin honey.  I really appreciate the thought
you all put into my problem.  As it turns out, the problem was simple.  I
had put the honey in a container which I then placed in a hot water bath
in order to raise the temperature to remove air bubbles.  As it turned out,
unbeknownst to me, the holding container had a substantial leak, and the
hot water seeped in.  My honey was watery because it was full of water!  

I guess I will gradually learn the ins and outs of beekeeping.  I am
relieved to know what the problem was.  Now I am thinking of returning the
thin honey to the bees as they need food over the next few months.  Is there
anything wrong with that plan? 

Kerry Drach
Portland, Maine
<[email-masked]>

---

From: [email-masked] (Adrian Graham DENT - Rodent)
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 1994 02:13:36 GMT

>anything wrong with that plan? 

The main problemn I can think of is that the hhoney will probably ferment.  
Heating it may hjave killed of the naturally occuring yeasts, but I wouldn't 
want to take that risk.  I don't know for sure that it would have a 
detrimental effect on the bees....any one else know for sure??
Adrian.

---

From: [email-masked] (Allen Dick 546-2588)
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 1994 13:50:55 GMT

Sugar as feed should be best, however thin honey should be no problem
unless it is noticably fermented, in which case holding at a fairly hot,
non - boiling temperature for a while will drive off the alcohol.  This is
what we do if we have a drum of syrup that gets high.  Seems to work. 

The bees can handle some alcohol when they are strong and the season is 
ideal, but in the spring and fall, I am leary of stressing them or 
having the feed rejected.

Thin honey as feed should be no problem.  Beaverlodge research used large
amounts of thinned white honey syrup for their experiment on bees drawing
comb after the main flow was over due to lack of funds to buy sugar. 

You see, as a byproduct of keeping bees for scientific research, they
found themselves with some honey.  If they sold the honey the money went
to general revenue and then they couldn't get money back for the
experiment - government! 

So they fed back the honey.

I've done it too, but find some honies don't make a good feed compared to 
sugar syrup.

I think someone suggested making mead.

Here's my formula:

Start with a drum 2/3 full of chlorinated water.

Add about 120 lbs of the best liquid honey you have. (a bit more if you 
want sweet mead).

Stir.

Add ten packages champagne yeast, 300 ml of citic acid, 450 ml dibasic
ammonium phosphate.

Cover.  Wait until all activity has ceased (a few weeks).

Temperatures in the 70 degree range are ideal for fermentation and storage.

Siphon into one gallon plasic milk jugs that have been sterilised
with bleach and rinsed.  Leave the lids ever so slightly loose, and store
in a dark place at room temp as long as you can.

A year is about right, but it is drinkable in weeks, especially if put in
the fridge a few days before so the yeast settle.  Be sure to pour off
carefully and avoid the dregs.

Cost?  about $2.50/gallon.  P.A.? - about 12 - 15%.  nature? - dry. 

If it is too dry, add a little honey in the glass, as the Romans did.

Note:  as you can see from the formula, I hate chemicals in my wine.  The
dibasic ammonium phosphate (yeast food available at a self-brew type
store) is essential though for the yeasts to finish their work.  I found
the fermentation always 'stuck' at about two thirds done when I used the
amount recommended for wine - and wouldn't finish working.  I experimented
and found that this amount allows completion and, I assume leaves very
little in the mead.  I checked with poison control centre and they tell me
it is not vey toxic anyhow - it is a diuretic.  This mead, if you are
clean in your handling of the supplies and materials, should be free of
things that cause headaches. 

Thin honey is also wonderful pancake syrup, but keep it in the fridge.

Adrian Graham DENT - Rodent ([email-masked]) wrote:
: >I guess I will gradually learn the ins and outs of beekeeping.  I am
: >relieved to know what the problem was.  Now I am thinking of returning the
: >thin honey to the bees as they need food over the next few months.  Is there
: >anything wrong with that plan? 

: The main problemn I can think of is that the hhoney will probably ferment.  
: Heating it may hjave killed of the naturally occuring yeasts, but I wouldn't 
: want to take that risk.  I don't know for sure that it would have a 
: detrimental effect on the bees....any one else know for sure??
: Adrian.
-- 
W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                 ARS  VE6CFK
Rural Route One, Swalwell,  Alberta  Canada  T0M 1Y0
Phone/Fax: 403 546 2588      Email: [email-masked]