Subject: Mitesolution

From: [email-masked]
Date: 8 Jun 1995 03:15:26 GMT

Has anyone heard any news about the new product for vorra mites called Mitesolution?  If you have any information about this new 
product send me some information.  The only thing I know about this solution is that it can be used during the honey flow unlike 
Apistain.  It souds like a plus but I am wondering how well it works.

---

From: [email-masked] (Patrick McGuire)
Date: 9 Jun 1995 03:53:05 GMT

Manufactured by Apicom I.B., Inc.
1-800-704-9273
$18.00 per ounce (enough to treat 20 colonies - 4 times a year, 2 fall 
and 2 spring).
I have no idea how it works but it is touted as being approved by the FDA 
and the EPA.  You sprinkle the stuff at the entrance to the hive where 
the bees carry it in and it kills the mites.  
Frankly, sounds too good to be true.
Anyone else having any experience with Mite Solution, PLEASE post or send 
e-mail.

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Jensen)
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 1995 21:27:33 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] wrote:

> Has anyone heard any news about the new product for vorra mites called
Mitesolution?  If you have any information about this new 
> product send me some information.  The only thing I know about this
solution is that it can be used during the honey flow unlike 
> Apistain.  It souds like a plus but I am wondering how well it works.

I first noticed Mite Solution in the Apicom Catalog. I talked to them, and
they wouldn't give much info about it. Then I saw it advertised in the
classifieds of the latest Bee Culture. I called up Tuttle Apiaries and
talked with the proprietor. He claimed that they discovered that bees in a
certain area of South America were immune to varroa, and they found that
it was because they visited a certain plant. He says he has gone to great
lengths to extract the active ingredient of this plant and claims that it
kills both mites. I bought an ounce for $18. It comes poorly packaged in a
leaking ziplock bag. It smells exactly like tea tree oil, which I believe
comes only from Australia. I want to give this fellow the benefit of the
doubt, and am trying to figure out how to test its effectiveness, but if
it is tea tree oil, then his South America story must be bullshit. Anybody
else?

Mark Jensen              Double J Apiaries        [email-masked]