Subject: Queen Test

From: [email-masked] (Durk Ellison)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 15:01:41 GMT

=============================================================================
* Forwarded by Durk Ellison (240:2358/100)
* Area : QUEENBR.BIN
* From : Sml Sml, 240:2358/102 (01-Mar-95  09:28:19)
* To   : All
* Subj : Queen test
=============================================================================
@MSGID: 240:2358/102 fcf2c6e3
@PID: TerMail 1.42 PROFESSIONAL

Hi All, how are you

Queen Breeding Comparison, Harvest season: 1994  
-!------------------------------------------------------------- 
written by: P. Peltotalo, SML - Finnish Beekeepers' Association
-!------------------------------------------------------------- 

The Finnish Beekeepers' Association's queen breeding comparison
test results of 1994. The supplied queens were placed in their
respective hives in the late summer of 1993. Their individual
preformence were observed and logged at the Finnish Beekeepers'
Association's (SML) queen breeding station throughout the summer
of 1994. The study will be continued into the next summer and
new groups will be accepted for study after this. Queens for the
next study should be supplied at the end of the summer of this
year (1995). According to the agreement with the participating
queen breeders, the results of the testing that has been done
free of charge are public. The suppliers of the queens can
choose up to six queens to be studied. Even though only three or
four queens where supplied from some of the queen breeders, the
study has given a fair amount of information. Notice the changes
within the groups (see chart). CRITERIA: The criteria for the
continuing study has been established as, swarming tendency,
calmness, gentleness and tendency to catch disease which are
graded on a scale of from 1 to 5, where 5 is the best. The
grading, in practice, has been done by Master Beekeeper
Stanislav Honko MS, director of the Finnish Beekeepers'
Association's Queen Breeding station located at Jokioinen,
Finland. 

The Index, comparison figure, has been equated by emphasizing
the following abilities: 

swarming      15% 
calmness       5% 
gentleness     5% 
health        15% 
honey harvest 60% 

The calculations have been done by using the HoneyWin -program.
By measuring the capped brood coverage area during the period of
from 14.6 to 17.6.1993, and the average honey harvest (see
graph). The measurement could be then be used as an advance
pruning system before the final honey harvest. The hive groups
marked A - D have been formed from bees that had been previously
tested at the station. The hive groups have been placed in the
chart, so that the best results are listed first. 

Queen Breeding comparison, Harvest season: 1994 
The Finnish Beekeepers' Association -  HoneyWin-program 

APIARY    HIVE     QUEEN   H%    ID     PA    SP    LA    RA    TA         
    
       S/N
-!------------------------------------------------------------------ 
Palom�ki (Italian)   queens  6 ea. Queen index = 110,5 
Myllynkul 91       SP5-93  129.1 120.5   4.0   2.9   4.0   4.5   5.0 
Myllynkul 75       SP6-93  149.2 136.6   5.0   2.7   4.5   4.5   5.0 
Ven�j�    38       SP4-93  109.6 102.3   3.0   2.9   3.5   3.5   5.0 
Ven�j�    10       SP2-93  116.6 111.7   4.0   2.4   4.0   4.0   5.0 
Ven�j�    11       SP3-93   91.0  93.9   3.0   2.2   4.5   4.5   5.0 
Ven�j�    6        SP1-93   93.3  97.7   4.0   2.5   4.0   4.0   5.0
-!------------------------------------------------------------------ 
Lund�n (Buckfast)    queens  5 ea. Queen index = 106.9 
J�rvensuo 78       JL14-93   97.3  99.3   5.0   2.5   3.5   3.0   5.0 
J�rvensuo 77       JL13-93  120.6 112.0   4.0   2.8   4.0   4.0   5.0 
Siro      85       JL15-93  103.0 102.3   4.5   2.7   3.5   4.0   5.0 
Ven�j�    69       JL12-93  114.3 106.8   4.0   2.1   2.5   3.0   5.0 
Ven�j�    3        JL11-93  119.0 114.1   5.0   2.3   3.0   3.0   5.0
-!------------------------------------------------------------------- 
A.m. mellifera x Carniolan   queens  3 ea. Queen index = 101.4 
Kuuma     54        131/93  100.0 100.0   5.0   2.9   2.5   3.0   5.0
Vuoltu    90        134/93  105.1 101.8   4.0   2.8   3.0   3.0   5.0 
Vuoltu    39        133/93  111.4 102.3   3.0   3.1   3.5   3.0   5.0
-!------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Group D (Italian)   queens  5 ea. Queen index = 100.9 
J�rvensuo 92         71/93   95.3  96.1   4.0   2.3   3.5   4.0   5.0 
J�rvensuo 72         70/93   85.6  91.2   5.0   2.6   4.0   4.0   4.0 
Kangas    67         76/93  108.2 104.8   4.0   1.8   3.0   3.5   5.0 
Kangasnie 14         73/93  120.5 111.4   4.0   2.4   4.0   3.5   5.0 
Kangasnie 7          MS/93  102.3 101.1   4.0   1.7   4.0   4.0   5.0
-!------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Carniolan x Italian  queens  3 ea. Queen index = 100.3 
Kotisuo   65        150/93  101.9 101.3   4.0   2.5   3.0   3.0   5.0 
Kotisuo   47        148/93   88.5  93.9   4.0   2.0   3.5   3.0   5.0 
Kotisuo   28        151/93  105.8 105.8   4.0   3.1   4.0   3.5   5.0
-!------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Miesvirta (Carniolan)  queens  5 ea. Queen index =  98.8 
Kangas    50       PM20-93  112.2 104.7   3.5   3.1   3.0   3.0   5.0 
Kangas    37       PM19-93   79.6  90.5   5.0   2.2   3.0   3.0   5.0 
Kotisuo   30       PM18-93   88.5  93.4   3.5   2.9   4.0   3.5   5.0 
Kotisuo   19       PM17-93  100.0 100.3   3.5   3.2   4.0   3.5   5.0 
Kotisuo   9        PM16-93  115.4 105.3   3.0   3.3   3.0   3.0   5.0
-!------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Group A (Italian)  queens  4 ea. Queen index =  97.2 
J�rvensuo 71        103/93  101.2 101.3   4.5   2.6   3.5   4.0   5.0 
Kangasnie 33         86/93   59.1  78.0   5.0   2.1   3.5   4.0   5.0 
Kangasnie 41         87/93  118.2 111.7   4.5   2.6   3.5   4.0   5.0 
Kangasnie 12         83/93  100.0  97.7   4.0   2.6   3.5   3.0   5.0
-!------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Group B (Italian)  queens  4 ea. Queen index =  93.7 
Myllynkul 21        108/93  114.8 107.8   3.0   3.0   4.0   4.0   5.0 
Urpola    48        109/93  100.0 100.0   4.5   1.6   4.5   4.0   5.0 
Uusi      56        128/93  100.0 100.0   5.0   1.6   4.0   4.0   5.0 
Ven�j�    4         107/93   46.6  67.1   5.0   0.7   4.0   4.0   3.0
-!------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Group C (Italian)  queens  4 ea. Queen index =  91.0 
Myllynkul 17        145/93   63.1  72.8   4.0   2.4   4.0   4.0   3.0 
Siro      43        140/93   97.0  97.7   4.0   2.4   4.0   4.0   5.0 
Ven�j�    89        141/93  109.6 106.1   4.0   1.5   3.5   3.5   5.0 
Vuoltu    25        143/93   69.0  87.4   5.0   1.6   4.5   4.0   5.0
-!------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Meaning of symbols:    
H%     -      honey harvest: %-of the apiaries' average harvest    
ID     -      rearing index    
PA     -      swarming tendency    
SP     -      brood coverage area result    
LA     -      gentleness    
RA     -      calmness    
TA     -      susceptibility to diseases (chalkbrood and 
               European foulbrood)                                       

                                          Number of  
           Race                           Queens        Index
_________________________________________________________________ 
Palom�ki   Italian.                       6             110.5 
Lunden     Buckfast                       5             106.9 
PxKr       A.m. mellifera x Carniolan     3             101.4 
Group D    Italian                        5             100.9 
KrxI       Carniolan x Italian            3             100.3 
Miesvirta  Carniolan                      5             98.8 
Group A    Italian                        4             97.2 
Group B    Italian                        4             93.7 
Group C    Italian                        4             91.0
-!---------------------------------------------------------------    

Capped Brood area and honey harvest correlation          
Finnish Beekeepers' Association's            
Queen Breeding Station
1994 Jokioinen, Finland       

Honey harvest (% apiary average)   
160 �----------------------------------�       
    �                          .       �     This graph is as accurate   
140 �                                  �     as I could reproduce it       
    �                            .     �     given the limitations of   
120 �                      .. . .    . �     ASCII. For a more accurate    
  
    �              . ..  .      ....   �     rendition see the Finnish   
100 �             . ...    .....   ..  �     Beekeepers Magazine       
    �                   . .  .   .     �     "Mehil�inen 1,1995 vol:12"    
80  �            .        .   .        �       
    �               .                  �     The average can be shown    
60  �           .        .  .          �     by drawing a line between       
    �                                  �     62 on the right and 119 on    
40  �      .                           �     the left.       
    �                                  �    
20  �                                  �       
    �                                  �     
0   �----------------------------------�           
    0.5   1   1.5   2   2.5   3   3.5         
    Capped brood area (per/frame side)
-!------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
Please address your inquires to: 
SML SML  Beenet 240:2358/102  att. P. Peltotalo               
               and/or 
Pekka Peltotalo  Beenet 240:2358/12
.Via 240:2358/101 @19950227.144527 GEcho 1.11+
��Ŀ
   ����> Best regards from Sml Sml

-!- Terminate 1.42b/Pro
 - Origin: Finnish Beekeepers' Association    BeeNet (240:2358/102)
SEEN!BY: 245/100 2358/12 100 101 102 103 104 105 108 109
@PATH: 2358/101
=============================================================================
Hi All,

��Ŀ
   ����> Best regards from,
                              Durk Ellison.

..... Written offline on  4-Mar-1995 at 15:01 Hrs

.!. BEEKEEPERS DO IT with their HONEY on BeeNet

--- Terminate 1.51/Pro
 * Origin: Durk Ellison        BeeNet     Finland (240:2358/100)