Subject: Supering question

From: [email-masked] (LA Kellogg lawrence a 2023833558)
Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 21:14:06 GMT

I have a question about supering. I have a colony that has drawn and capped  
two shallow supers. I gave them a deep (foundation) last week and they have 
drawn it and filled it with nectar. My question..Should I give them a shallow 
(foundation again) and see if they'll draw it or should I leave them alone to 
make sure they cap the deep. I want to harvest the deep and two shallows.I'm 
in Silver Spring, MD and I think the honey flow should be ending soon...but I'm 
not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

  Regards,

     Larry Kellogg

---

From: bill fernihough <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 May 1995 13:20:20 GMT

Leave them alone and let them cap the deep super.  First, they won't cap 
it until it is ready, that is, until they have driven off the excess 
moisture from the nectar, making honey.  This is what you want I 
beleive.  Second, if the honey flow stops before they cap it all, they 
may not finish it, so be ready for that.
It seems strange that you are looking forward to the end of your honey 
flow so soon, ours has not yet started.  Some flow should go on all 
year, and so you may want to keep a super over them.
Are you using a queen excluder?  If so, don't put a super of foundation 
directly over the excluder, they won't go into it.  Always put drawn 
empty comb over the excluder, put foundation above this as they need it.