Subject: 2 questions

From: [email-masked] (AVRIL BIRD)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 12:54:12 GMT

I am posting this for my Father-in-Law (please bear in mind that he barely 
knows what a computer is so his questions may seem a little weirdly phrased).

"Hi.  One of the requirements of a bee keeping operation is the availability 
of queen bees.  A 40 hive operation, as a hobby, is no different.  Hives die 
and new starter hives (nucs) have to be made.  Replacement of old queens 
gives new genes to a dwindling hive.  Can anyone pass on information about 
the miller method of queen raising?"

"Beekeeping can be fun but not always in the winter, and why is asked?  The 
answer is survival rate.  A 40 hive operation with a survival rate of 85% 
can be costly.  Try 50% for the last two years.  Somewhere around $1000 to 
$1500 to replace these with no chance to increase to a greater number.  
I am considering overwintering bees inside a building with fan systems and a 
temp. of 4-7 degrees C.  Anyone with any experiences?"

Thanks,

Avril Bird for
Norman Bird
Wolfville, Nova Scotia

---

From: bill fernihough <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Feb 1995 06:06:27 GMT

> temp. of 4-7 degrees C.  Anyone with any experiences?"

Can I suggest your relative check with other beekeepers in the area for
ideas.  He is correct that such a mortality rate it too high, are 
mites, foulbrood, contributing?  If he is new to the business, there is
a wealth of free information available, he might check into it.  Try
writing to your local agricultureal dept in NS, if that doesn't work, 
send a note to the BC govt or Ontario dept of agriculture.  They still 
give away free info.  If the hives are wrapped well, enough honey, antibiotics
applied regularly, that loss could likely be much improved.

---

From: david macfawn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 1995 14:50:31 GMT

There was a recent article in either Bee Culture or American Bee Journal on
overwintering in buildings.  It was within the last 3-4 months so if you  find
someone with past issues you can probably find the article.  On the Miller
method, you may want to call Cornell and ask.  Cornell also has an excellent
5-6 page brouchure on raising queens in colder climates  with excellent
pictures.  I remember reading or seeing some literature on the Miller
method...maybe it was in one of the books from Dadant/Brushy Mountain Bee
Supply/or Walter T Kelley

Rgds, Dave M.

>==========AVRIL BIRD, 1/30/95==========
>

david macfawn
AT&T Global Information Solutions
[email-masked]
(803) 939-632-7409

---

From: [email-masked] (Aaron Morris)
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 95 10:23:40 EST

In article <[email-masked]>
david macfawn <[email-masked]> writes:
 
>someone with past issues you can probably find the article.
>
It was American Bee Journal (not sure what issue).  I read the article and
I don't get Bee Culture, so process of elimination leave A.B.J.