Subject: Plant concoction for varroa mite (fwd)

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: 17 Jan 1995 23:47:59 GMT

From: Darlene Scribilo
              <Scribilo_Darlene/[email-masked]>
Subject:      plant concoction for varroa mite

I am trying to locate an article published in the winter 1989/1990 issue
of the Russian beekeeper magazine "Pcselovodszto" on a plant concoction
against varroa.
Does someone have a copy of the original article in Russian?  If so, may
I have a copy?  Please respond to :
darlene_scribilo:@lcs_system6.lcs.gov.bc.ca

Many thanks. 
Bee hearing from you. 
Darlene Scribilo Richmond, B.C. Canada

-- 
____________________________________________________________________________ 
Adam Finkelstein                     Price Hall 
Entomology                   VA Tech, Blacksburg, VA  24001-0325 
[email-masked] ______________________________________________________

---

From: [email-masked] (Allen Dick 546-2588)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 14:43:35 GMT

: effective. He prefers oxalic acid. I told Dr. Shimanuki and Dr. Morse about the
: oxalic acid but they showed no interest.

Exactly how do they use the oxalic acid?  Formic is used with good 
results, but oxalic is a solid and doesn't fume the same way as far as I 
know.
-- 
W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                      VE6CFK
Rural Route One, Swalwell,  Alberta  Canada  T0M 1Y0
Phone/Fax: 403 546 2588      Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Robert Allen Stevens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 95 22:51:39 -0500

>results, but oxalic is a solid and doesn't fume the same way as far as I 
 
They put it into solution and spray it directly on the bees - takes 3-4
minutes per hive. they can't be getting a very complete kill unless they
are doing it in a broodless period. Oxalic is natrally occuring in the
Sorrel plant and can be quite poisonous - so don't try it on a hive you
are not willing to lose.  they use a 10 percent solution but then there
oxalic acid might not be the same concentration as ours.