Subject: Bee tree

From: [email-masked] (David M. Stamper)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 00:09:32 GMT

This weekend was super nice, so I decided to check on a bee tree that I knew 
of.  The bees were very active relieving themselves and cleaning house.  This 
colony has been active for at least 3 years, and appears to be going strong 
(300 bees coming and going/ hr.).  They seemed to be very docile for a wild 
hive, as I was able to get within 6 inches of the main entrance without 
feeling pressured to back off.  They looked like Italians.

Any opinions on the following:

Is it likely that this colony is resistant to AFB?

Is it likely that this colony is resistant to Varroa?

Should I try and hive a swarm from this colony, or maybe even try and get the 
whole thing.  Any tips?

Dave

---

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 20 Feb 1995 00:05:17 -0500

Dave Stamper says:
> Should I try and hive a swarm from this colony, (bee tree), or maybe
even try and get the whole things. Any tips?

   Dave, why don't you put out a bait hive at swarm season?  You might get
the stock without a lot of wear and tear on them. I just use single story
or nuc boxes with comb already in.  They come best, if it is up above six
feet.

   It seems that the stock would be worth monitoring if it has been
exposed to varroa and lived three years.  Maybe you'll have a
million-dollar baby!

[email-masked]   Dave Green, Eastern Pollinator Newsletter.  PO Box
1215, Hemingway, SC   29554