Subject: Orientation of the hive

From: [email-masked] (Knut Rygh)
Date: 29 May 1995 09:16:32 GMT

.
Textbooks advocate the advantages of orientating the entrance towards the 
morning sun. I have located a group of hives in a circle with hive 
entrance in other directions than enable direct morning sun without any 
noticeable difference in habitable behaviour or honey production. Does 
anyone have any experience from locating the hive entrance in other 
direction than one that favours the sun. How important is it that the 
entrance get morning sunlight compare to one of the sides of the hive?
I would be grateful if someone could shed some light on this puzzle.
K. Rygh						Phone:	31 171983610
[email-masked]			Fax:	31 171984694

---

From: dave <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 May 1995 23:38:19 +0100

I have observed my bees very carefully for some time now and they really
don't tend to get out of bed and go to work until the first glint of sunshine
hits the landing strip. Having said this, I am sure they would eventually 
even if the sun were to shine on the back of the hive. All I am saying is that
I think from observing the bees closely that it really is almost like a visual
alarm bell ... indeed to the extent that on cloudy days they will go to work
later!
-- 
Dave

---

From: bill fernihough <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 May 1995 05:40:48 GMT

My experience supports the morning sun theory.  Not only will be the 
bees get out earlier, they will bring in honey sooner in the day.  Now, 
I can't say they will bring in more honey, as so many variables happen 
in a hive.  At midday, you are right, there is no difference in hive 
activity, and for most of the rest of the day, its that early morning 
start that makes the difference.