Subject: Bee Venom and Health

From: AJ Muia <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 1995 10:19:09 -0700

Please excuse a question from a lay-person.  Does anyone know where I 
might find more information about the medical benefits of bee venom, or 
about apitherapy?  Do any of the beekeepers here lend their bees for 
medicinal purposes?  I've heard that beekeepers experience health benefits from 
(accidentally) being stung during the course of their work.  Has anyone 
found this to be true, or is it folklore?  I'd like to know more.  Feel 
free to e-mail me or post a response here.  I'll continue reading this 
newsgroup.  I find it fascinating.

---

From: Stephen Travis Pope <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Apr 1995 05:54:10 GMT

AJ Muia <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> ...information about the medical benefits of bee venom
> ...Has anyone 
> found this to be true, or is it folklore?  I'd like to know more.

Dear AJ,

15 years ago (when I lived in Salzburg, Austria), I had a serious 
accident that required several operations to remove most of the 
cartilage from my left knee. Over the next year, I received weekly 
shots to induce the growth of new cartilage. The orthopods gave me 
a bee venom salve to put my knee when it swelled up. The salve was 
*really* painful (obviously), and generated true "deep heat", but was 
also quite effective against the frequent swelling. I sent several
tubes of the salve to a friend in the USA whose father had serious
arthritis, and he always wanted more (until my prescription ran out).

..just a true story in support of alternative medicine as is common
in Europe...

stp

___Stephen Travis Pope, Editor--Computer Music Journal, MIT Press (and)
___Research Associate--Center for New Music and Audio Technologies, UCB
___email: [email-masked], telephone: (+1-510) 644-3881
___http://www-mitpress.mit.edu/Computer-Music-Journal/CMJ.html

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Hough)
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 10:08:28 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, AJ
Muia <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Does anyone know where I 
>about apitherapy?

Try contacting:
The American Apitherapy Society, Inc.
P.O. Box 124, Woodsville, NH 03785
603-747-2507 (Voice & Fax)

****************************************************
* Rick Hough             * email: [email-masked] *
* TASC                   * Phone: (617) 942-2000   *
* 55 Walkers Brook Drive * FAX:   (617) 942-7100   *
* Reading, MA 01867      *                         *
****************************************************
SET DISCLAIMER ON
The above is my opinion. Similarity to anyone else's
opinion is pure coincidence.