Subject: scottish heather honey

From: [email-masked] (Ted Findhammer)
Date: 3 Mar 1995 05:23:00 GMT

Hello everyone,

I apologise for the following, because it does not really belong here,
but I do not know where else to ask.

Australia does not have heather, and thus not what is-to my taste-the
most beautiful honey in the world: heather honey.
I know it from home (Holland) and Germany. In both countries it is
becoming rare, and very expensive.
Australia prefers to import from the UK. Scotland has wonderful
expanses of heather. Is there Scottish heather honey, and is it
exported to Australia?

Any info will be much appreciated.

Ted Findhammer
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Malcolm Roe)
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 15:24:59 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>Is there Scottish heather honey, and is it exported to Australia?

Yes, heather honey is produced in Scotland (and other parts of the
British Isles).  Unfortunately I can't give you any details on its
export.

-- 
Malcolm Roe                                Phone  :  +44 1442 345104
Crosfield Electronics Ltd                  Fax    :  +44 1442 343000
Hemel Hempstead, Herts. HP2 7RH, UK        E-mail :  [email-masked] 
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (ibra)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 21:28:00 +0000

> expanses of heather. Is there Scottish heather honey, and is it
Yes, Scotland indeed does have heather honey and it is possible that some is exported to 
Australia.

However, you might be able to get some closer from closer to home.  The ling heather 
plant (Calluna vulgaris) was introduced to New Zealand last century and honey is produced 
from it there and exported (including to Europe).

Remember to observe all quarantine regulations if importing honey privately.

-- 
******************************************************************************
* From Andrew Matheson, Director, International Bee Research Association     *
* [email-masked]                                                  *
*                                                                            *
* Any replies to this message will be read only by me.  If you want to leave *
* a message for anyone else in IBRA, or one which will be handled in my      *
* absence, please contact [email-masked]                                 *
*                                                                            *
* IBRA, 18 North Road, Cardiff CF1 3DY, UK                                   *
* Fax (+44) 1222-665522     Telephone (+44) 1222-37209                       *
*                                                                            *
******************************************************************************