Subject: B-mail 2/95

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: 31 Jan 1995 20:09:49 GMT

=========================================
 
B-MAIL
 
A monthly newsletter on issues and events in the bee world, provided
by IBRA, the world information service for bee science and beekeeping.
 
**February 1995**
 
=========================================
CONTROLLING BEE MOVEMENTS TO LIMIT BEE DISEASES AND
PESTS
 
How useful are quarantines for bees?  Do restrictions on bee movements
help or hinder beekeeping industries coming to grips with the
consequences of newly introduced parasites and diseases?
 
This issue is in the news again in the UK as the 'line' for restricting hive
movements to prevent the spread of varroa has been moved.  What is
called the 'autumn varroa search' has revealed the presence of the mite
north and west of the 'statutory infected area' (SIA), an area out of which
colony movements aren't permitted.  Accordingly the boundaries of the
SIA were moved from 1 January this year, to include much of the English
midlands and Yorkshire where it is obvious varroa has been established
for several years.
 
However, the SIA has not been expanded to include Wales where a
number of occurrences have been reported, meaning beekeepers in
Wales are free to move their colonies to other 'non-infected' areas.
 
Reactions to this move are mixed, with Scottish beekeepers keen to see a
line giving them protection for as long as is feasible (though they are
honest enough to say that any protection exists 'theoretically and legally, if
not in reality': the line and Britain's 'borders' are not policed), and
commercial bee farmers looking for a legislative response that is as
pragmatic as possible.
 
Events in the industry and in government control following the discovery of
varroa in the UK in 1992 are reviewed well in Medwin Bew's chapter 'UK
beekeeping in the age of varroa', in the book 'Living with varroa' (see
below for details).
 
The European experience is also salutary, and for a number of countries is
discussed in the book 'New perspectives on varroa' (details, again, given
later).  Remember that in the 1960s and 1970s when some of these
places were grappling with the mite there was nothing off the shelf that
could be used for treatment.  The response was often severe, with mass
destruction of colonies.
 
It is refreshing to see the honesty of some of the central and eastern
Europeans as they look back at their actions.  "I want to draw your
attention to our first error", reports Vladimir Vesely in considering 15 years
of organized varroa control in the Czech Republic, commenting later "and
now I have to draw your attention to another mistake".  Those early days
were tough, and we can learn a lot from them about the effects of different
approaches to bee disease control.
 
In the same book I take a look at the effects of the impact of varroa
infestation on beekeeping, and the benefits and disadvantages of
movement controls.  Certainly I am critical of the mass destruction of
colonies that was often the flip side of these controls; wiping out colonies
with varroa (or tracheal mite in the US) when the parasite was known to be
endemic in the country concerned.
 
In the October issue of 'Bee Culture', Mark Winston discusses import
controls in his excellent monthly column.  Looking particularly at the
closure of the US-Canadian border to bee movements, he says that the
moves taken were appropriate and have been successful, but that the
action has been misunderstood by many in the US industry.
 
First of all, he says, quarantines are designed to protect the majority
interest (in a country) from the economic impact of pests and diseases, but
not necessarily to keep them out for ever.  Often, and in this case
according to Winston, the aim is to delay the introduction and subsequent
spread of a species for as long as possible "or at least as long as the
quarantine is economically preferable to the damage the pest may cause".
 
The economic advantage came from two factors: delaying the widespread
occurrence of varroa and tracheal mite in Canada until effective and
efficient means of control were available (a bureaucratic problem to do
with licensing laws rather than a technical one), and to give beekeepers
hurt by low honey prices as long as possible before the added expense of
chemical treatment became necessary.
 
The other point Mark makes is that the embargo on imports was initiated
and sustained with broad support from Canadian beekeepers, and wasn't
a result of regulators looking for a job or beekeepers wanting to protect a
market.  However, the article is honest enough to admit that there were
benefits to the domestic market, at least for producers of queens, nucs
and packages; and that US producers of these were hurt.
 
I guess the thing with import bans and many other types of bee disease
control and prevention measures, is that we usually don't know whether
they're the right choice until it's too late (if we ever do find out).  The
beekeeping industry and government officials have to make the best
judgement they can, but some principles are clear:
 
Any quarantine must be scientifically justifiable: it has a good chance of
working on technical grounds.  And of course we must be clear about what
'working' means; is the programme designed to eradicate, contain or delay
the pest?
 
It must have economic advantages to the industry: with the net costs of
the quarantine less than the costs of other courses of action.  In an ideal
world we should consider the global costs, not just the local costs; though
politicians (and beekeeping association officers) are elected locally rather
than globally.
 
The actions taken must have the broad support of the industry they're
designed to serve.
 
We should also add that the quarantine, and reasons for its existence,
must be reviewed constantly as circumstances change.
 
PUBLICATIONS MENTIONED
 
Living with varroa.  IBRA, 58 pp, 1993.  Price GBP15 in the UK;
GBP16/USD25 worldwide including post and packing.  Available from
IBRA: [email-masked].
 
New perspectives on varroa.  IBRA, 164 pp, 1994.  Same prices and
availability.
 
Bee culture.  US monthly magazine, USD 16.50 in the USA, USD 24
overseas per year.  Available from [email-masked].
 
MEETINGS COMING UP SOON....
 
TROPICAL BEES AND THE ENVIRONMENT
 
Don't forget the meeting on 'Tropical bees and the environment', 13-15
March 1995.  Pre-conference expedition 11 March 1995.  Contact Beenet
Asia Secretariat, Plant Protection Department, Universiti Pertanian
Malaysia, 43400 UPM Serdang, Selangor DE, Malaysia.  Fax (+60) 3-948-
3745 or 948-2507.  Further information from Dr Mardan at this address, or
makhdzir%upmvmesa.ccrisc.upm.my.
 
SCIENTIFIC APICULTURE CONFERENCE
 
The 32nd scientific apiculture conference is being held in Pulawy, Poland,
>from  14-15 March 1995.  The organizers are the bee division at the
Pulawy research institute and the Scientific Apiculture Society, and can be
contacted at the Research Institute of Pomology and Floriculture, Bee
Division, ul Kazimierska 2, PL-24 100 Pulawy, Poland.  Fax (+48) 831-
4209.
 
MEETINGS IN THE NOT-TOO-DISTANT FUTURE....
 
EAS 95, THE YEAR OF THE HIVE
 
Every year the Eastern Apiculture Society meets in the US or Canada, and
their events are well worth attending.  Primarily for keen hobbyists, there's
something for everyone; with short courses, workshops, a conference with
a variety of speakers, competitions and practical sessions.
 
This year EAS will be different, with 10-15 sites around the conference
venue containing practical, hands-on displays of bees and hives from the
US and other countries.
 
EAS 95, Wooster, Ohio, USA, 31 July to 4 August.  Info from Kim Flottum,
623 W Liberty Street, Medina, OH 44256, USA. Fax (+1) 216-725-5624;
phone 216-725-6677.
 
AND SOME FOR ADVANCE PLANNING....
 
IBRA DAY 1996
 
Next year IBRA is holding its annual day as part of the popular weekend
conference organized by the Devon Beekeepers' Associaton, at Seale-
Hayne from 12 to 14 July.  Some of the sessions have speaking slots still
available and, to be honest, we're looking to get some international
speakers on the cheap.  The Devon BKA budget won't stretch to jetting
people in from around the globe, but if anyone is going to be in the country
and would like to sing for their supper, please feel free to put your name
and subject forward to the programme committee for consideration.
Contact us at IBRA.
 
Travel expenses within the UK, and accommodation, can be covered.
We're mean, but not that mean.
 
6TH IBRA CONFERENCE ON TROPICAL BEES: MANAGEMENT AND
DIVERSITY
 
San Jose, Costa Rica, 12-17 August 1996.  Look for the first
announcement in next month's B.mail.
 
9TH INTERNATIONAL PALYNOLOGIC CONGRESS
 
Houston, Texas, USA, 22-29 June 1996.  Details from
[email-masked].

Andrew Matheson
Director

 
Return address:
E.mail: [email-masked]
Fax: (+44) 1222-665522
Telephone: (+44) 1222-372409
Snailmail: 18 North Road, Cardiff CF1 3DY, UK

-- 
____________________________________________________________________________ 
Adam Finkelstein                     Price Hall 
Entomology                   VA Tech, Blacksburg, VA  24001-0325 
[email-masked] ______________________________________________________