Subject: update on laying worker hive

From: Dan Buchsbaum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 19:22:44 -500 (CDT)

This neophyte in beekeeping realized over the weekend why one should make 
the effort to learn how to raise one's own queens for requeening or 
starting a new hive.  Ten days ago I had the most depressing looking 
brood chamber--spotty patches of drone brood and what looked like nothing 
but drones running around.  I switched out a few frames and put in 1 or 2 
frames with large capped queen cells.  After a week and a half, with 
assurances from Dave and Adam (bless you!) that all would soon be well, I 
took a look inside... 3 full frames fully capped brood and barely a drone 
cell in sight!  How come my queens that I've ordered from a place 
(Weaver's) a couple hours away never got off that fast and that good?  I 
mean they would lay well, but not so solid.  If this is typical of 
own-raised queens, I sure encourage any newbie beekeeper to give it a whirl!

Getting ready to remove my first full shallow super of the season,
-Cynthia, Houston

---

From: Dan Buchsbaum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 20:37:01 -500 (CDT)

Yikes!  I didn't mean to imply that Weaver has inadequate queens! (thanks 
Adam :-) )  Just for the record I order exclusively from them because 
their bees are great and the customer service outstanding.  Oh yeah, and 
also because it's a lovely 2 hr. drive to their place in Navasota...  :)
-
Cynthia