Subject: Re: Varroa in my hive

From: [email-masked] (Chris Conroy)
Date: Sun, 21 May 1995 22:11:56 GMT

I appreciate the advice. I haven't received my Apistan yet, I was going
by what I had read in one of the catalogs I had received.

The honey would be for my consumption, so I wouldn't contaminate it
with Apistan - believe me.

As for treating the hives last fall, I was hoping that varroa wouldn't
contaminate my hive. I think we tend to go the easy route all too often
and think chemically. I recently heard a speaker at a beekeeping group
saying that if companies and beekeepers had spent their energy breeding
varroa resistant bees, we wouldn't be as dependent on chemicals.

Well, it looks as if my plans didn't work out. I'll let you all know
how things proceed.

Chris Conroy
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 22 May 1995 23:30:35 -0400

Aaron Morris says:

The time to put the Apistan strips in your hive was last fall at the end
of the season.  The time to take them out would have been around
January.  The time to add honey supers is now.  Following sound
beekeeping practices and the manufacturer's instructions allows plenty
of time to avoid the concern that Apistan strips in a hive at the same
time there are honey supers on the hive WILL PRODUCE CONTAMINATED HONEY!
I'm not sure if pesticide laws pertain to Apistan (any opinions from
the Pollinator?), but I suspect that lawyer types would be willing to
litigate that use of Apistan strips contrary to label instructions
constitutes an unlawful act.

   Right on Aaron

   We can hardly expect other pesticide users to obey the label directions
pertaining to foraging bees, if we don't follow directions on the
pesticides we use.

   Yes, it is the law to follow directions.  Exactly.

[email-masked]      Dave Green
[email-masked]                                   Dave Green
Dave's Pollination Service         Eastern Pollinator Newsletter
PO Box 1215, Hemingway, SC    29554