Subject: honey yields

From: [email-masked] (John E. Fox)
Date: 16 Aug 1994 12:22:28 GMT

Just out of interest, what sort of honey yield does everyone else get,
say the average per hive?

I have four working hives this year, the fifth one was a filled in June with
a new swarm. I got a total of 180lb of honey off the four hives and am quite
pleased with myself (and the bees who did all the work). 
How many tons/hive do you get in the States? Everything there being bigger
and better than in the old UK!

---

From: [email-masked] (Adrian Graham DENT - Rodent)
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 1994 13:10:49 GMT

>say the average per hive?

WEll, I can't speak for the u.s.a....but here in a.u.s., we can get up to 
100kg per hive over two extractions.  In a good year (or even just an 
ordinary year in the north) it can be much more than this.  Average for me 
is about 15 - 10 kg per hive, but then I have only been extracting once each 
year....
Adrian. (yet another failed attempt at being helpful....)