Subject: Re: Glass sides on Hive Body

From: [email-masked] (Jim Jackson)
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 21:36:24

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Rick Regan) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Rick Regan)
>Subject: Glass sides on Hive Body
>Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 21:32:33 GMT

>Maybe this is a strange question: has anyone had experience using a hive body 
>with one or more translucent sides (eg: one side made of glass/plastic instead 
>of wood)?    I was thinking of using something like this, to see what is going 
>on without opening the top.    If the bees object to the constant light, which 
>they would, I would put a door/shutters on the outside of the that side to 
>cover it.  But the glassy side would still be inside.

>Any thoughts?

>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Rick Regan, beekeeper wanna-bee.
>"Bees BANNED in DC!"

>Rick Regan
>Catholic University of America
>Washington, DC
>[email-masked]

><disclaim, disclaim,... mea culpea, mea culpea>

Go out and get yourself an obesevation hive. They are glass sided (one side 
anyway) single frame hives that you can put in your den or living room with a 
small plastic tube that leads through the wall to the outdoors. Great fun and 
the bees don't mind the light at all.

A glass wall on a regular hive body, wouldn't show all that much really, and 
the risk of direct sunlight hitting it and sending the heat level too high for 
the bees to cool.

Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Regan)
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 21:32:33 GMT

Any thoughts?

Rick Regan

---

From: [email-masked] (Allen Dick 546-2588)
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 16:21:30 GMT

Jim Jackson ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Rick Regan) writes:
: >From: [email-masked] (Rick Regan)
: >Subject: Glass sides on Hive Body
: >Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 21:32:33 GMT

: >Maybe this is a strange question: has anyone had experience using a hive body 
: >with one or more translucent sides (eg: one side made of glass/plastic instead 
: >of wood)?    I was thinking of using something like this, to see what is going 

Plexiglas instead of plywood for an inner cover works well for just 
looking in the top without stings. My dad used to have some of them and 
enjoyed taking the lid off without exposing the bees.

Allen
-- 
W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                        VE6CFK 
Rural Route One   Swalwell   Alberta   Canada  T0M 1Y0 
Email:   [email-masked]    or   [email-masked]
Futures, Art & Honey:http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka