Subject: Re: Question about making beewax candles

From: [email-masked] (Rick Hough)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 1994 10:05:19 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(Edward Jong) wrote:

> 
> When making beeswax candles, is it advisable to mix some
> parafin as well?  Any suggestions for candle making.
> 
> I don't know anything about bees.  I am posting this question
> for a beekeeping friend of mine.

Addition of parafin will increase the chances that the candle will
drip. Also, once you add parafin, you can't sell your candles as
100% beeswax. I am not aware of any advantages of adding parafin,
other than parafin is cheap.

****************************************************
* Rick Hough             * email: [email-masked] *
* TASC                   * Phone: (617) 942-2000   *
* 55 Walkers Brook Drive * FAX:   (617) 942-7100   *
* Reading, MA 01867      *                         *
****************************************************
SET DISCLAIMER ON
The above is my opinion, and not my employer's or anyone else's.

---

From: [email-masked] (John E. Taylor III)
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 1994 12:30:15 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

> other than parafin is cheap.

I have the impression that candle crafters consider 100% beeswax candles to
be a bit extravagant (after all, they use mostly parafin), and thus use it
primarily as a minor additive.  We, on the other hand, have access to lots
more beeswax than they do.  We can afford the luxury of pure beeswax
candles.  Go for it!

--
John Taylor    (W3ZID)     |  "The opinions expressed are those of the
[email-masked] |   writer and not of Rohm and Haas Company."