Subject: Re: Beekeepers of Renown

From: Lou Bjostad <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jan 1995 16:49:16 GMT

[email-masked] (RICHARD E BONNEY) wrote:
>
> There is another category as well. I understand that A I Root was an 
> observer at Kittyhawk for the first Wright Brothers flight. Any other 
> such tidbits?

I don't think this is quite right.  As I recall from one of Tom 
Crouch's books on history of aviation, Root first saw the Wright 
Bros. fly in Dayton, in 1905.  Root's claim to fame is that his 
story in "Gleanings in Bee Culture" about their flights was the 
first publication of what the Wrights were up to.

---

From: [email-masked] (RICHARD E BONNEY)
Date: 12 Jan 1995 14:37:23 GMT

I have had a query for which I have no answer. Who was the well known 
individual (perhaps Winston Churchill) who had experience with honey 
bees,or perhaps with bee lining, and wrote a booklet about it? I'm sure 
there are actually many well known people with bee experience, but who 
are they? 

The person who posed the question to me is a beekeeper who gives popular 
talks on bees and beekeeping to the public. Anything you can come up with 
will be appreciated.

Dick Bonney
[email-masked]