Subject: OUCH!!!

From: The Master of Darkness <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 1994 21:38:46 EDT

Sitting here with a slight pain throbbing in the back of my thigh, I am glad
I have found a little place I can whine.  I was peacefully coming home from
the mall today.  Driving through town I make a left turn and *POW* all of a
sudden an intense pain starts to course through my leg.  It was all I could
do to continue the half mile home without grabbing my crotch and screaming
in agony (which would have been very humorous to all the pedestrians I'm
sure "Hey look!  That dude's playing with himself!") I get home, park my
truck and leap out.  Looking back at my seat I see, as I had suspected (and
hoped), a BEE laying there.  Once the 170lbs that was on top of him moved,
he had the gall to get up and fly!  Needless to say, I was quite upset that
the little bugger had survived me sitting on him, and even more upset that
he was able to get away without me squashing him!  It looked to me to be a
honey bee, please tell me that those little bastards die after stinging
someone...allow me some small amount of satisfaction that tonight, he lies
dead somewhere.  I can say I'm glad, but not very, the pain was caused by a
bee and not the result of some mysterious physical ailment.

---

From: [email-masked] (John E. Taylor III)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 1994 12:26:15 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, The Master of Darkness
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Looking back at my seat I see, as I had suspected (and
> dead somewhere.

Yeah, well if you sat on _me_ and I had a stinger...  :-)  Yes, a honeybee
will leave stinger, poison sac, and other vital parts of his anatomy
imbedded in your skin, pumping venom into you long after the bee has
departed (both flown away and croaked).  Yellow jackets, on the other hand,
make a nice, clean sting, which they can repeat at will, and fly away to
sting another day.  The yellow jackets look quite bee-like, even though
they're actually a variety of hornet, and they give honeybees a bad name
amongst the uninitiated.

--
John Taylor    (W3ZID)     |  "The opinions expressed are those of the
[email-masked] |   writer and not of Rohm and Haas Company."

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul C. Cheng)
Date: 13 Sep 1994 21:46:02 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>will leave stinger, poison sac, and other vital parts of his anatomy
                                                          ^^^
That should be "her" 8)

I don't know what's worse...the pain of a worker's sting or the smell of a
drone's stink.

Regards,
Paul
-- 
Paul C. Cheng ([email-masked]), Second Year Medical Student
Northwestern University Medical School | Ward Box 213, 303 E. Chicago Ave.
Medical Scientist Training Program     | Chicago, IL 60611
"Rubor, Tumor, Calor, Dolor" -Celsus (describing my rxn to beestings)

---

From: [email-masked] (H M McCabe (Harold))
Date: 14 Sep 1994 15:19:24 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Paul C. Cheng) writes:

<stuff deleted>

> I don't know what's worse...the pain of a worker's sting or the smell of a

What?  You can smell drones? 
-- 
Harold McCabe
==========================================================================
Voice: 313-248-8797			Subsystem Requirements Engineering
FAX:   313-248-2286				Ford Automotive Components
[email-masked]			Dearborn, MI
					USA

I do not speak for Ford.  Everything above this line is my opinion.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul C. Cheng)
Date: 14 Sep 1994 20:51:09 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>What?  You can smell drones? 

It's all in the feces, man.  It's all in the feces.

Regards,
Paul
-- 
Paul C. Cheng ([email-masked]), Second-Year Medical Student
Northwestern University Medical School | Ward Box 213, 303 E. Chicago Ave.
Medical Scientist Training Program     | Chicago, IL 60611
"Rubor, Tumor, Calor, Dolor" -Celsus (describing my rxn to beestings)

---

From: [email-masked] (Joseph Cooper)
Date: 17 Sep 1994 04:14:10 GMT

Paul C. Cheng ([email-masked]) wrote:

: I don't know what's worse...the pain of a worker's sting or the smell of a
: drone's stink.

Paul,

Please take this as a legitimate request for information and not as one of 
the four-alarm flames that so often seem to be aimed in your direction.

I've kept bees for about twenty years.  For a couple of those years-- 
in a massive demonstration of stupidity--I dealt with 40 hives.

Having never made any specific effort to smell drones, I had no idea what 
they smell like.  Could you further my education on this point?

If you've ever been stung on or near your nose, you know that the 
workers' alarm scent smells like banana oil.  The locating scent, 
detectable when a swarm is moving into a new hive, smells like rose 
geraniums.  

I do not know if the human nose is senses the queen's "substance."
Do you?

Joe
*************************     
*     Joseph Cooper     *      
*  [email-masked]  *
*************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul C. Cheng)
Date: 18 Sep 1994 01:20:41 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>the four-alarm flames that so often seem to be aimed in your direction.

I don't know when I have received such notoriety.  My postings to this
group have generally been in areas in which I am knowledgeable, and I have
tried to make the information as accurate as possible.

>they smell like.  Could you further my education on this point?

I apologize to you and the rest of the readers for making such an ambiguous
statement.  I am sure all people who have manipulated drones have smelled
their feces.  Personally, I've had the pleasure of smelling drone feces
when collecting semen for my graduate research.  For those of you who have
not, I urge you to rush to your nearest beekeeper/beehive for a sample.

As for the other questions, I am sure there are others who are much more
qualified than I am to answer questions on pheromones.

Regards,
Paul