Subject: disease in old hive boxes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 02:26:40 GMT

I had worked my way up to four hives on my small city lot, but this 
was too much for my available attention.  Through my inattention and possibly
other factors, I lost my last two hives this winter.  I miss the little 
fellas though, and want to order a package soon.  My question:  What should
be done to treat the old hive boxes before putting new bees in?  I know that 
one of the hives has had wax moths.
	Semi-related:  I've heard that A.I. Root is no longer with us.  
Where do y'all get supplies?

TNX
BCS

---

From: [email-masked] (Justin)
Date: 11 May 1995 22:50:11 GMT

>Where do y'all get supplies?
It's been quite a few years since I've kept bees, but as I recall the 
recommended procedure was to use a propane torch to scorch all inside surfaces
of the hive. There may be a more up-to-date procedure, though.

I'm just now getting interested again, since my nephews are getting old enough
to enjoy this great hobby and my brother is relocating to our family farm in
Galena, Illinois. Here's my chance to enjoy without the work! :)

                  www
                 (o o)
--------------ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------------------------------------
  Justin Mack             [email-masked]
         Downers Grove/Chicago

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: 13 May 1995 03:54:18 GMT

>of the hive. There may be a more up-to-date procedure, though.

 This is a great procedure, but for AFB. (American Foulbrood)

Wax moths are a secondary pest, that is, they don't kill bees. Seeing them
in dead hives is okay. Unless you know you have brood disease, I wouldn't
go through the trouble of scorching the boxes.
Start out on foundation, see what happens.

Adam
-- 
______________________________________
Adam Finkelstein 
[email-masked]

---

From: Gordon Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 May 1995 23:27:28 +0100

> I had worked my way up to four hives on my small city lot, but this  was
> too  much  for  my  available  attention.   Through  my  inattention and
> possibly other factors, I lost my last two hives this  winter.   I  miss
> the little fellas though, and want to order a package soon.
             ^^^^^^
Most are _definitely_ girls"

Maybe your inattention, maybe just the way things sometimes  are.   Just
make sure it's not inattention next time ;-)

> My question: What should be done to treat  the  old  hive  boxes  before
> putting new bees in?  I know that one of the hives has had wax moths.

Unless you think you have *real* problems, sterilising with 80%  glacial
acetic  acid  for a few days should do the job -- it kills most nasties.
The general method is to soak paper or card  pads  with  the  stuff  and
leave  one  between  each hive box in a stack.  After a few days, remove
the pads and ventilate the stack a while.

WARNING -- 80% glacial acetic acid is  pretty  agressive.   Handle  with
care  and  _don't_ go sniffing the stuff!  It corrodes most metals quite
quickly, you may need new runners if you do it often -- and  every  year
on 'spare' (whatever that is :-) equipment is recommended here!

If you think you may have had AFB (or maybe EFB), scorch everything with
a  torch.   (Er,  not the wax -- it bursts into flames -- melt and reuse
that)

Regards,
-- 
Gordon Scott	[email-masked]		100332,3310 on CompuServe
Newsletter	[email-masked]	ditto
		Beekeeper, Kendo Sandan, sometime sailor.
		Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG22 5HP, UK

---

From: Gordon Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 May 1995 22:15:30 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>

> a  torch.   (Er,  not the wax -- it bursts into flames -- melt and reuse

Hm, errata?  -- If I had AFB, personally  I  _would_  burn  the  wax  by
choice,  but  on a bonfire of course, not with the torch.  For us in the
UK that's a choice we  don't  get  anyway  --  destruction  by  fire  is
mandatory here.

I just remembered.  One recommendation here is  to  sterilise  equipment
"by immersing them for ten minutes in paraffin wax heated to 150C"

That gives an idea just how robust  AFB  spores  are  doesn't  it?   I'm
pretty  sure that method is a little cautious -- but not much -- boiling
in water is definitely insufficient!  A steam autoclave should  work  if
the  temperature is high enough.

Irradiation is OK for AFB, there is some doubt for  EFB  though.   There
are  irradiation  plants  around  in  Europe and I presume in many other
areas too.

These methods are probably not for the  hobbyist  beekeeper  unless  you
contact a professional or form a cooperative group.

Regards,