Subject: painting hives

From: [email-masked] (Warner Granade)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 1994 01:39:42 GMT

Last spring in the panic of an impending swarm, I slapped a new super on
my hive. It was unpainted pine. Now I want to paint it to protect it from
the Virginia winter. Can I do this while it is still on the hive? I know
I'll only be able to paint the outside, but it's sealed really well.

--
Warner Granade [email-masked]
804-924-7409

---

From: Jennifer Finley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 1994 17:53:06 EST

It is perfectly acceptible to paint or repaint hive boxes while they are
on the hive.  The inside of the box does not require paint -- the bees
coat it with a layer of propolis which preserves it better than
painting.  You should not use a lead-containing paint or any of the more
toxic wood preservatives as these can contaminate the honey and/or be
poisonous to the bees.

We routinely paint boxes in our apiary, both stacked on hives and empty
but within ten feet of working hives.  We have never had a problem with
the paint oder agitating the bees, so, especially at this time of year,
you should have any easy time of it.  Be prepared to pound on your hive
tool a little the first time you remove the super after painting, but
that's the hardest part.  :)

Jennifer Finley
Penn State University