Subject: Are they going to swarm?

From: Nate Saal <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Jun 1995 23:34:47 GMT

Hello everyone! 
 
This my first time posting alough I have been an avid reader of the   
newsgroup. 
 
Here is my quesiton: 
I started a new hive about a month and a half ago from a package.  Two   
weeks ago I added a second deep super seeing as the first was about 80%   
full.  This past weekend, I noticed a queen cell with a very small larva   
in the new, upper super.  Lots of drones around as well.  I saw the queen   
two weekends ago and found new eggs this past weekend, so she is   
definitely alive and well. 
 
First, why would they be making a new queen if they are a new hive and   
have lots of room to grow (20% in one super and 80% in the other)?  There   
is not a very heavy honey flow right now, and they seem far from crowded. 
 
Second, should I cut out the cell to prevent them from swaring or will   
they just rebuild? 
 
Any suggestions on how to keep this young hive from swarming? 
 
Thanks for your adivce, 
 
Nate 
Palo Alto

---

From: "Victor C. Rimkus" <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Jun 1995 14:17:54 GMT

> Any suggestions on how to keep this young hive from swarming? 

Nate / Palo Alto

I do not believe these bees are preparing to swarm. Swarm cells are 
usually built at the bottom of the hive. The bees are most likely
trying to replace a failing queen. Yes, a brand new queen can be
failing. One package I hived did just what you explained. The
reputable outfit I purchased my package from sent me a replacement
queen at no charge and with no hassel.

If you cut this cell out you may end up with a failed (drone laying)
queen. This cell is fragile and care should be taken to not shake or
bump it. Even turning it upside-down to inspect it could kill it. I
do not cut these cells out when I find them in the upper brood
chamber.

Contact your supplier and see if they will send you a replacement. If
not, let nature take its course.

		Victor / Albuquerque