Subject: Maryland State Beekeepers Association Summer Meeting

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 15:30:00 GMT

*FYI* originally in conference IN-BEE LIST on Wild Bee's BBS
                    ----------------------------------------

From: David Bernard <[email-masked]>
Date:         Wed, 31 May 1995 10:03:51 +0500
Subject:      Maryland State Beekeepers Association Summer Meeting

The Maryland State Beekeepers Association is holding a 2 1/2 day conference
style summer meeting at Mt. St. Mary's College near Frederick, MD.  All
beekeepers are welcome to attend!!

For registration,room and board information, contact:

DAVID MORRIS,  9309 MONTPELIER DRIVE,  LAUREL, MD. 20708-2553
OR E-MAIL RESERVATIONS TO [email-masked]  (TELEPHONE: 301-725-6185)

The cost of the meeting, room, and board for the entire weekend is about $125.

Friday  June 16, 1995

10:00 AM        Welcome and Opening Remarks             David Morris
                                                        President, MSBA

10:15 AM        Cucurbit Pollination                    Maryann Frazier
                                                        State Apiculturist
                                                        Penn State University

11:00 AM        Problems Concerning Communication       Dr. David Fletcher
                During Queen Replacement                Bucknell University

11:45 AM - 1:00 PM      Lunch

1:00 - 5:30 PM  Honey Judging Workshop (runs concurrently with rest of program)

1:00 PM         Honey Bee Viruses: Recent Discoveries   Dr. Akey Hung
                in Maryland                             Research Entomologist
                                                        USDA, Beltsville, MD

1:45 PM         Feral and Commercial Honey Bee          Dr. Nathan Schiff
                Populations in the U.S.                 Research Entomologist
                                                        USDA, Beltsville, MD

2:30 PM         BREAK

2:45 PM         What Makes Honey Honey?                 Dr. Jill Snowden
                                                        National Honey Board
                                                        Consultant

3:30 PM         Bee Aware System                        Maryann Frazier

4:15 PM         BREAK

4:30 PM         Open Hive Workshops (with live bees!)

                  Hive Examination : Mock Master Beekeeper Field Exam
                  Splitting Hives: Swarm Control and colony increase

                Indoor Workshop

                  Making, Loading, Maintenance, and Use of Observation Hives

5:30 - 6:30 PM         Dinner

7:00 PM         Hive Hefting Contest - An aid in determining winter stores

                Master Beekeeper Panel - Question and Answer session
                          of previous Master Beekeepers Examinations

                Beekeepers Social

Saturday June 17, 1995

7:30 AM - 8:30 AM       BREAKFAST

8:45 AM        Opening Remarks                          David Morris

9:00 AM        Why Summer Requeening                    Dr. Gordon Allen-Wardel
l
               and How to Make it Work

9:45 AM        Keeping Warm, Keeping Cool               Dr. Edward Southwick
                                                        SUNY, College at
Brockport

10:30 AM         BREAK

10:45 AM       Parasitic Mites: The Effect              I. Barton Smith
               on Maryland Beekeeping                   State Apiary Inspector

11:15 AM       Bee Navigation: Where's Home?            Dr. Edward Southwick

12:00 PM - 1:00 PM      LUNCH

1:30 PM        What is IPM and How Can We Make it       Dr. Gordon Allen-Wardel
l
               Work for Maryland Beekeeping?

2:15 PM        Honey Adulteration                       Dr. Allen Brouse
                                                        Analytical Chemist
                                                        Columbia, MD

3:00 PM        BREAK

3:15 PM        Workshops - Repeated at 4:15 PM

               Open Hive Workshops (with live bees!)

                 Producing Comb Honey: The Killion Method
                 Inspector's Approach to Disease Inspection
                 Methods of Feeding Honey Bees
                 Medicating Bees: Proper Placement of Medications in the Hive
                 Finding the Queen: Methods and Techniques

               Indoor Workshops

                 Preparing Honey and Hive Products for Shows
                 Marking Queens
                 Marketing Honey
                 Installation of Package Bees

5:30 - 6:30   DINNER

6:30 PM        Bee Catching Contest!    A must if you are to learn
               how to handle the Queen for marking!

Sunday June 18, 1995

7:30 - 8:30 AM  BREAKFAST

9:00 AM        Opening Remarks                                 David Morris

9:10 AM        Indoor Workshops - repeated at 10 AM and 11 AM

                Cooking with Honey
                Allergies and Allergic Reactions to Bee Stings
                Bee Removal
                The Beekeepers Library
                Moving Bees
                Wax Working

12:00 AM        CHECK OUT AND GOOD BYE

David Bernard
Vice President, Maryland State Beekeepers
EAS Master Beekeeper
USA