Subject: Oct. 94 'Buzz' - Iowa Beekeepers Newsletter

From: [email-masked] (Terry Dahms)
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 16:26:25

Submitted by: Terry Dahms, Pres.
       East Central Iowa Beekeepers Assoc.
       internet: [email-masked]
       ------------------------------------------------------------------
                   THE BUZZ                     OCTOBER, 1994
       ------------------------------------------------------------------
       A newsletter published monthly as a cooperative effort by The Iowa
       Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship and The Iowa  Honey 
       Producers  Association  (IHPA),  an affiliate member of  the  Iowa
       Horticultural Society.   Copy deadline is the 20th of each  month. 
       Your  ideas,  comments  and letters are welcomed  and  encouraged. 
       EDITOR:   Bob  Cox,  State Apiarist,  Iowa Dept.  of  Agriculture,
       Wallace Building,  Des Monies, IA.   50319 Phone:  (515) 281-5736. 
       IHPA  MEMBERSHIP:   Membership dues in the  Iowa  Honey  Producers
       Assn. are $5.00/year.  Send to Gordon Powell, IHPA Treasurer.
       ------------------------------------------------------------------
       STATE APIARIST REPORT
          I hope you have had a satisfactory honey crop this summer.   As
       a rule the southern part of the state was better than the northern
       part  this  year.   Additionally,  this year's crop  is  generally
       better than last year's.
          It's  time to think about getting colonies put away for  winter
       and  attending  the  annual meeting of the  Iowa  Honey  Producers
       Assoc.   Although  it  is  a busy  time  of  year,  getting  honey
       extracted and bottled,  do not neglect the bees or making plans to
       attend the annual meeting in Marshalltown November 11-12.
          As  you  prepare  hives for winter, be sure to  treat  for  the
       Varroa mite.   When out inspecting I am seeing increasing  numbers
       of colonies dying from Varroa mite infestations.   It appears that
       the Varroa is a vector for brood diseases.   I saw one  beekeeping
       outfit  that had a high Varroa mite level and  European  foulbrood
       symtoms,  while another beekeeper whose bees were heavily infested
       with Varroa had no EFB but a lot of Sacbrood disease.
          I  have included an article on Formic Acid treatment for mites  on
       page 6.   This material is not registered for use in the U.S.  but  I
       thought it would be interesting to share with you what they are doing
       in Canada.  The author, Kerry Clark, works in the province of British
       Columbia.   There  is an attempt to get EPA approval on  formic  acid
       here in the U.S. in the near future.  It seems that the wheels of EPA
       grind ever so slowly.
          Read  the  article  on  wintering bees  taken  from  Dr.  Basil
       Furgala's  Basic  Management  Manual and written  with  Dr.  Marla
       Spivak on page 3.  It is written for Minnesota winters but Iowa is
       not that different.

       SMOKING BEES by Francis Bowen
          The use of the smoker has an unusual fascination to many outsiders
       and also to some of our own beekeepers,  some of whom do not  realize
       what  they are doing when they perform this necessary function  prior
       to  entering  a  hive.   Smoking bees should be  a  gentle  procedure
       somewhat  akin to working bee frames.  We are not attempting to  burn
       out these bees or trying to incinerate them, which is what it appears
       to  neophyte beekeepers and strangers.   Smoking the bees  interferes
       with  detection of the alarm pheromone (Isopentyl acetate)  by  guard
       bees.   Bees  detect  lowering oxygen levels in the  hive  and  start
       tanking  up (filling their honey crop) with honey in preparation  for
       absconding.  When oxygen levels rise to normal, they relax and revert
       to other normal activities.
          A  hive which proves to be testy (defensive) may be calmed by  the
       introduction  of  a  small piece of empty comb  into  the  combustion
       chamber  of  the smoker.   A exceptionally defensive  colony  may  be
       placed  under  submission  by the introduction  of  some  nitrogenous
       fertilizer  into the combustion chamber of the smoker.   This  action
       creates  nitrous  oxide  (laughing gas) and care  must  be  exercised
       because  excessive doses will render bees unconscious or  even  dead. 
       Beekeepers  should  avoid inhaling these fumes  to  prevent  becoming
       hysterical while working bees.
          Some  of  the materials useful for fueling the smoker  are  listed
       below:
          * Corn Cobs(chopped)
          * Burlap (washed to remove pesticides used on some products)
          * Baler twine (natural, NOT plastic) washed or weathered to remove
          pesticides
          *  Long leaf pine needles (my favorite - I love the odor  when  it
          blows back at me.)
          *  Oil  filter  cartridge (insides of used filters  -  cool  white
          smoke) dried.
          * Fine wood chips
          * Small twigs
          * Dry rotten wood
          * Any old rags (except WOOL, which gives off toxic fumes)
          * Dry tree leaves
          * Untreated Straw
          * Uncolored paper (rolled)
          * Sumac bobs (Bobs and pine needles will cause buildup of creosote
          in smoker)
          * Mushrooms dried (Puffball mushrooms have a hallucinogenic effect
          on bees.)
          *  Corrugated  cardboard (Medium sized  openings  between  layers)
          rolled tight and bound with string or tape.

          After smoker has been started and burning briskly, lay smoker onto
       its side to quench flames (if left too long in this position it  will
       go out.)  However,  before transporting in a vehicle, place a cork in
       the  end  of the smoker to be sure it is extinguished.   It  is  very
       embarrassing  to be pulled over by a police car and be informed  that
       you  are  on  fire (usually only some smoke from  a  hard  to  quench
       smoker).   The ideal is to have a metal container to place the smoker
       inside  to  prevent a possible fire from an excessively  hot  smoker,
       while you are driving home.
       (Taken from the October 1993 Connecticut Honey Bee)

                              BE CAREFUL WITH FIRE

          The tongue is a little member and boasts great things.  See how
       great  a forest a little fire kindles!   The tongue is a  fire,  a
       world of iniquity.   The tongue is  so set among our members  that
       it defiles the whole body,  and sets on fire the course of  nature
       and it is set on fire by hell. (James 3:5-6)
       WINTERING BEES IN MINNESOTA - Dr. Marla Spivak
       September
       1.    In  early  September,  following the honey  harvest,  select
       colonies  to  be wintered.   The colonies to  be  wintered  should
       consist  of  three deep hive bodies (2 to 2 1/2  in  Iowa).   Each
       colony must have a large adult bee population (cover 10-15 frames)
       and  have a young productive queen of European origin.   (This  is
       one  of Dr.  Furgala's Four Principles of Productive  Beekeeping.) 
       Position the entrance reducer using the 1/4"  x 3"  opening facing
       the bottom hive body.
       2.    In early September, inspect each colony.   Determine whether
       there  are adequate food reserves (another Principle) for  winter. 
       75-90  lbs.  of honey are required and 3-5 frames  of  pollen  are
       desirable (gross hive weight of 180-200 lbs.)
       3.    Determine  whether  the winter honey reserves  are  properly
       located  within  the three deep hive bodies.   The top  hive  body
       should  have  approximately 45 lbs. of honey distributed  so  that
       seven outside frames are full of honey,  and the two center frames
       have some empty cell s just abvouve their bottom bars to encourage
       cluster movement.  There should be approximately 35 lbs.  of honey
       distributed  toward the outside in the middle hive body and  10-20
       lbs in the bottom hive body.
       4.    It  is  often  difficult  to  determine  whether  there  are
       adequate  pollen  reserves because pollen is  often  stored  under
       honey.   An insufficient amount of pollen is remedied  by  feeding
       pollen  substitute  and/or  supplement in late  winter  and  early
       spring. 
       5.    When   preparing   colonies   for    winter,   avoid   using
       light-colored combs,  especially in the top hive body.   This will
       not be a problem if the hive bodies are reversed at the  beginning
       of the major nectar flow.
       October
       6.    Before  mid-October  feed a minimum of two  gallons  of  2:1
       sugar  syryp containing Fumadil-B to ensure that  colonies  remain
       disease free (a 3rd Principle) during winter.   Extra  unmedicated
       syrup  may  also be necessary if colonies contain  less  than  the
       optimal food reserves.
       7.    If  the  bees were not treated for  Varroa  and/or  tracheal
       mites in the spring, they should be treated now,  using registered
       treatments  (Apistan  strips  for Varroa  mites  and  menthol  for
       tracheal mites.   Recent research indicates that extender "grease"
       patties  with  terramycin  are  also  effective  against  tracheal
       mites.)   Provide  the  menthol  as  early  as  possible  to  take
       advantage of the warmer weather earlier in the season.
       November
       8.    Approximately November 1 plug the auger holes in the  bottom
       two supers with corks or masking tape,  but leave the hole in  the
       top super open for ventilation and as an emergency exit.
       9.    Remove the telescoping outer cover.  Place an insulite board
       over  the  inner cover.   This acts as  a  moisture-releaser  that
       allows  moisture to escape from the hive during winter.   It  also
       provides for a dead-air space on top of the colony.

       10.   Place  a  commercial winter carton over the  hive.  A  black
       carton  made of cardboard or plastic is sufficient and  effective. 
       Replace  the telescoping outer cover and secure with a rock.   The
       outer cover should not "telescope" over the winter carton.   Cut a
       hole in the winter carton that is aligned with the upper entrance.
       11.   It is desirable to have a dead-air space under the hive such
       as that provided by a commercial hive stand.
       12.   If a good apiary site was chosen, protection from prevailing
       winds,  good  air  drainage and full  sunlight  will  help  ensure
       successful wintering.
       13.   All  colonies  not selected for wintering should  be  killed
       when  fall  brood  rearing has stopped  (approx.  Nov.  1).   This
       equipment  should  be inspected, repaired,  cleaned  and  properly
       stored.
          Many  people are amazed that bees can winter well in  Minnesota
       with  only a thin black cardboard covering as  "insulation."   Dr.
       Furgala  did quite a lot of research on wintering and  found  that
       heavy  wrapping  with  straw and tarpaper  did  not  significantly
       improve  wintering success.   If the bees are kept in  three  deep
       hive bodies with 75-90 lbs. of honey stores and a young queen, are
       provided  an upper entrance and an insulite board to  help  reduce
       moisture build-up,  are located in a good apiary site and  treated
       for diseases and mites,  they will make it through winter in  fine
       style.

       WANTED:  40-gal. s/s clarifying
       tank (w/water-jacket) 
       Call Phil Ebert in Lynnville at
       (515) 527-2639.

       FOR SALE:   Hive wraps:   Black
       plastic box covers $5 @,  black
       waxed cardboard covers $3.50 @,
       and   manila  waxed   cardboard
       covers $1 @.
       Call Kenny Loeb (319)  827-1481
       after  7:00 p.m. 434 87th  St.,
       Jesup, IA 50648.

       HONEY COOKING CONTEST
            Once  again  this  year we will hold a  "Cooking  with  Honey"
       Contest  at our Annual Meeting.   Enter your favorite dish  in  the
       following  categories:   drinks,  desserts,  main  dishes,  salads,
       cookies and snacks.
            Please  provide  a copy of the recipe and your name  for  each
       item entered on a 3x5"  or 4x6" index card.   These cards should be
       turned into the judges by 9:00 a.m.  Friday November 11th.   Please
       type or print clearly so others can understand how you made such  a
       delicious food item.
       ANNUAL MEETING SET FOR NOVEMBER 11 AND 12
          Pre-register for the Annual Meeting of the Iowa Honey Producers
       Association  IHPA  and save a couple of bucks this year.   We  are
       offering  an early bird rate of $8.00 for individual  members  and
       $15.00  for  the whole family if registration form  and  check  is
       mailed by October 31st.
          See the pre-registration form and tentative schedule on pages 7
       and 8.  You will not want to miss this meeting.  Come and you will
       get the "buzz" on the latest beekeeping information and news. 
          Note that we are meeting at the Regency Inn in Marshalltown the
       second  weekend of November.   Additionally,  the annual  business
       meeting will be conducted on Friday afternoon (November 11th)  for
       a change.
          This year the banquet will be served "sit-down" style,  instead
       of  being  herded through a line,  in dormitory  cafeteria  style. 
       Many  of  the  dishes will contain honey.  Dr.  Bill  Wilson  will
       entertain   us  with  interesting  stories  from  his   years   of
       experience.
          IHPA  has  reserved  a block of 25 rooms with  two  beds  until
       October  15th.   Rates are $50 for a single and $57 for a  double. 
       If  you  want  a one-bed room,  you will have to  ask.   Call  the
       Regency Inn to make room reservations at (515) 752-6321.

       PACKERS AND DEALERS LAUNCH HONEY QUALITY ASSURANCE PROGRAM
          The  National Honey Packers and Dealers Association has  formed
       the  Honey  Quality  Assurance Task Force  to  insure  that  every
       container  of honey sold in the U.S.  is 100 percent  pure  honey,
       whether  the  honey is domestic, imported or  blended.   The  task
       force  will oversee the development of a honey  quality  assurance
       program  and  establish  procedures for obtaining  funds  for  its
       support. 
          The NHPDA has allocated $20,000 to launch the quality assurance
       program.   Funds  to  support the program will  be  obtained  from
       members of the NHPDA as well as from non-member honey packers on a
       voluntary  basis.   Beginning  in  1995, the  40  members  of  the
       association  will  be assessed five cents per  hundred  weight  on
       honey  sold during the previous calendar year.   The total  budget
       for the initial program is expected to be $70,000.
          Funds  will  be used to develop standards  for  honey,  specify
       testing methods for honey,  monitor honey sold in the U.S.  market
       and  set  enforcement  procedures.  The  honey  quality  assurance
       program will be fair and equitable.
          The  Honey  Quality Assurance Task Force  members  include  the
       NHPDA  Executive  Committee and representatives  of  the  national
       beekeeping associations,  Sioux Honey Association and the National
       Honey  Board.   The next meeting of the task force  will  coincide
       with  the California State Beekeepers Association meeting on  Nov.
       18 in Tahoe, California. For more information on the honey quality
       assurance program, please contact Dick Sullivan at the NHPDA,
       (908) 583-8188.

                      IOWA HONEY PRODUCERS ANNUAL MEETING
                            NOVEMBER 11 AND 12, 1994
                                  Regency Inn
                             U.S. 30 & Iowa Hwy. 14
                               Marshalltown, Iowa
                           Motel Phone (515) 752-6321

                             PRE-REGISTRATION FORM

       Name: ______________________________________________________________

       Company Name: ______________________________________________________

       Address:______________________________City: ________________________

       State: ___________ Zip: ________-_______ Phone: (    ) _____________

       No. of Colonies:_____ Years Beekeeping:______ Year joined IHPA:_____

       Individual Member ($10 at the door)      $ 8.00        $____________
       Family Rate ($20 at the door)            $15.00        $____________
       Non-member                               $15.00        $____________

       Membership dues                            5.00        $____________
       (Membership required to vote at business meeting.)

       Banquet Friday night 7:00 p.m.           $12.00 each   $____________
                                                              =============
                                                TOTAL          ____________
       --------------------------------------------------------------------
       Make check payable to:  Iowa Honey Producers Association.
       Send form and check to: J. Gordon Powell, IHPA Treasurer
                               4012 54th St.  Des Moines, IA 50310

                                TENTATIVE SCHEDULE

       FRIDAY, November 11

        8:00 a.m. Registration - $10 for members and $20 family rate

        8:45 a.m. President's Welcome                         Leroy Kellogg
                  Honey Cooking Contest

        9:00 a.m. Beekeeping in Agriculture                    Dale Cochran
                                              Iowa Secretary of Agriculture

        9:30 a.m. State Apiarist Report                             Bob Cox

       10:15 a.m. BREAK (Door prizes following)

       10:45 a.m. What's new in mite control          Dr. William T. Wilson

       11:45 a.m. LUNCH (on your own)
        1:00 p.m. Comb Honey Production                        John Johnson

        1:45 p.m. BUSINESS MEETING (Election of Officers)

        3:00 p.m. Bee Research at the Univ. of Minnesota        Gary Reuter

        4:00 p.m. Local Assn. & Area Crop Reports        Local Associations

        5:00 p.m. Adjourn --visit vendors

        7:00 p.m. BANQUET $12.00

                1. Blessing on Food: Paul Goossen

                2. Introduction of new officers - Leroy Kellogg

                3. State Fair Awards - Bob Cox

                4. Cooking Contest Results - Leroy Kellogg

                5. Speaker:  Bill Wilson - "30 years of day dreaming and
                other  happenings"

       Banquet Menu (served to you at your table):
        
                      Tossed Salad with Honey House Dressing 
        Honey-Glazed Ham Steak with Pineapple ring, raisin sauce and cherry
                             AuGratin Cheese Potatoes
                             Broccoli and Cauliflower
                               Hot Roll with Butter
                    Dutch Apple Pie topped with Honey Ice Cream
                                Coffee, Tea or Milk

       SATURDAY, November 12

        8:00 a.m. -Visit Vendors

        9:00 a.m. Niche Marketing of Honey                  Sherry Jennings
                                                       National Honey Board
       10:00 a.m. BREAK

       10:15 a.m. American Bee Journal                           Joe Graham

       11:00 a.m. Beekeeping Gadgets & Gizmos                   Gary Reuter

       12:00 noon LUNCH (on your own)
        
        1:00 p.m. Beeswax Art                            Laverne Greenfield

        2:00 p.m. Pollination of Iowa Crops                    Paul Goossen

        3:00 p.m. Adjourn