Subject: Protection of Hawaii's honey bees

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 00:57:00 GMT

originally in conference LM-BEE-ListB on WILDBEES (WILD BEE'S BBS)
                    ----------------------------------------
Date:         Tue, 28 Feb 1995 07:32:29 -1000
From: "Thomas W. Culliney" <[email-masked]>
Subject:      Protection of Hawaii's honey bees

Hawaii's three commercial queen breeders are not seeking a competitive
advantage over beekeepers from New Zealand or from any other country.
This issue is one of environmental protection. Hawaii is as protective of
its environment (including its agriculture and apiculture) as is New
Zealand (Hawaii state law bars entry of all honey bees, living or dead). The
USDA has amended the honey bee regulations to permit
transshipments of bees from New Zealand through the U.S., including
Hawaii.

The Hawaii Dept. of Agriculture is trying to make the best of a
disagreeable situation. Recently, state Ag. personnel met with officials
of New Zealand's Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries and the National
Beekeepers' Association to review bee packaging procedures employed by NZ
bee exporters. In general, it was seen that a great deal of care was taken
to ensure that the packages would not allow any bees to escape in
transit. The New Zealanders have taken all reasonable measures
(incorporating some additional measures suggested by this department) to
ensure the integrity of their shipments.

This department will be monitoring passage of the shipments through
Honolulu International Airport to make sure that no foreign bees enter
Hawaii. We trust that there will be no problems, but are prepared to take
actions to prevent any "leakage" of bees.

===================================
Thomas W. Culliney
Hawaii Dept. of Agriculture
Division of Plant Industry
1428 South King Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96814
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Phone: (808) 973-9529
Facsimile: (808) 973-9533
E-mail: [email-masked]
===================================

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Stjohn)
Date: 4 Mar 1995 20:05:15 GMT

I certainly hope that the Department of Agriculture will monitor any 
bee shipments very carefully. We are on the Big Island and are not at the 
same risk as those beekeepers on Oahu. That goes for most accidental 
importation of bees afflicted with various mites or deseases and the 
Africanized bees from Brazil or even Africa. Very few ocean going ship 
land on this island.

  You can all be sure, though, that the Big Isalnd beekeepers are not 
happy to have alien bees passing through under any conditions.

-
  BOB STJOHN  [email-masked]