Subject: B-Mail_7/95

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: 5 Jul 1995 18:55:10 GMT

=====================================================

B-MAIL

A monthly newsletter on issues and events in the bee world, provided by
IBRA, the world information service for bee science and beekeeping.

>From Andrew Matheson, Director

**July 1995**

=====================================================

****************
IN THIS ISSUE
****************

All go for Costa Rica meeting
American professionals reorganize
The web gets better and better

*************************************
SEE YOU IN CENTRAL AMERICA
*************************************

Last month I visited Costa Rica to work on arrangements for next year's
important meeting: the sixth IBRA conference on tropical bees;
management and diversity.  The local organizing committee at the
Universidad Nacional Costa Rica has arrangements well in hand for this
event.

We are working on discount airfares, have a startlingly cheap room rate at
the conference hotel, and are finalizing a comprehensive range of tour
packages.

Plans for the scientific content of the conference are also advanced, with
almost all session convenors confirmed and the programme planned in
outline.

Watch for the second announcement, due out in September, and
remember to start planning to be with us from 12 to 17 August 1996.

*******************************
AMERICAN ORGANIZATION
*******************************

Just landed on my desk is the latest newsletter of the American Association
for Professional Apiculturalists, AAPA.

For ten years the AAPA has united professionals in research, extension and
regulations to better serve the science and industry of US apiculture.  It's
had a chequered career, though, being much less active during some
periods than in others.  Now it is standing on the brink of a new era of
activity.

Marion Ellis, of the University of Nebraska, has formed an internal review
committee to evaluate the purpose and future activities of the group.  The
committee has carefully considered some important questions, and will be
making its recommendations at the combined meeting of AAPA and the
American Bee Research Conference in September.

I believe that professional associations like the AAPA are very important for
the well-being of the industry and the professionals serving it.  The
committee are to be congratulated for putting energy and considered
thought into these issues.

For further information on the AAPA/ABRC conference in September (in
Athens, Georgia), contact Keith Delaplane (who is president of the AAPA) at
[email-masked]

To contribute to the discussion on AAPA's revitalization contact Marion Ellis
([email-masked]) or any other committee member; Bob Danka, Keith
Delaplane, James Bach, John Skinner, Marla Spivak, Tom Webster.

The current issue and all subsequent issues of the AAPA newsletter will be
available from 1 September on the University of Nebraska World Wide Web
pages (http://ianrwww.unl.edu/ianr/entomol/entdept.html).

To clarify the terms used, 'American' is used to refer only to the USA.
Whether 'apiculture' refers to management only of the honey bee or will
include non-apis bees is under discussion.

***************************
BUMBLE BEE MEETING
***************************

September might seem like a long time away, but you know how time flies
when you're having fun.  Our next IBRA meeting, Bumble bees for pleasure
and profit, is on 23 September and places are filling steadily.  Book soon if
you want to be sure of a seat.

The registration form was in the May B.mail and is available from us at
IBRA.

*****************************
SUBSCRIBING TO B.MAIL
*****************************

You are receiving this issue of B.mail either off a newsgroup, a mailing list
such as BEE-L, or directly from IBRA.  We are happy to continue supplying
it free of charge as a service, but you can make it a little easier for us.

Maintaining our ever-growing list of e.mail 'subscribers' to B.mail is getting
to be a big chore.  We would prefer you to receive this newsletter through
one of the mass distribution outlets, as it's easier for us to post it to a few
places than to send it to hundreds of subscribers.

If you receive B.mail directly but can get it off one of the group channels,
please let us know and we'll take your name off our list.  Thanks.

********************************************
BEEKEEPERS GATHER IN LAUSANNE
********************************************

Don't forget the 34th international apiculture congress in Lausanne,
Switzerland, from 15-19 August 1995.  For late booking information contact
the congress secretariat at Dentenbergstrasse 50, CH-3076 Worb,
Switzerland.

IBRA is organizing a symposium on world trade in bees and bee products
as part of this congress, to promote discussion on important issues facing
world beekeeping.  This symposium is sponsored by the British Honey
Importers and Packers Association.

We will also be at the trade exhibition Apiexpo 95, being held in conjunction
with the congress.  Come and see us on stand 189, at the foot of the
escalators.

************************
THE WEB SPREADS
************************

Response to IBRA's launch on to the World Wide Web was so enthusiastic
we've accelerated our plans for further development.  From 14 July you can
see stage 2 of the IBRA pages, with

Links to web pages interesting for beekeepers everywhere.

News of new book titles.

How to use BeeSearch, IBRA's powerful information retrieval service.

News of IBRA's library, including a list of all the journals we receive;
probably the most complete list of bee journals anywhere.

Archives and the current issue of B.mail.

Lots of information about IBRA's three journals, including guidelines for
authors and a detailed description of a format for references that can be
used by any journal.

Don't forget our address; http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/ibra/index.html

***********************************************
WHAT IS IBRA'S JOURNAL BEE WORLD?
***********************************************

We call Bee World the international link between beekeeping science and
practice.  That's the purpose of this journal, which is really like no other
journal in the world.  It takes the latest in bee science and beekeeping, and
provides topical reviews and digests which are relevant to people
everywhere.

Articles are written in a very readable style, without too much jargon.
Through them non-scientists can get access to a storehouse of new
knowledge and ideas.

You can be sure that what you read in Bee World is of high quality, as it is a
peer-reviewed journal.  This means that all articles have been examined by
independent experts of international renown, and revised if necessary,
before they are accepted for publication.

At the heart of Bee World are the review articles for which it is famous.
These bring together and assess all the material relevant to a particular
subject, so in one place you can cover all the latest information.  Our
reviews are written by experts who have experience with the subject and
are usually involved in active research in the field, so know the information
and understand its importance.

Bee World reviews stand for some years as the most useful digest of
information on their subject.  The extensive reference lists included with
each review also act as a bibliography for further reference.

In the news and views section called 'The Buzz', Bee World has a whole
range of interesting stuff from authors all over the place.  Sections include:
'Science roundup', 'Bee products', 'World news', 'Beekeeping around the
world' and 'Beekeeping techniques': with short articles (often with
references and one or two illustrations) on particular topics.

There is also a comprehensive guide to future international and national
meetings, with reports on some past meetings and items on places to visit
for beekeepers.

For subscription information or a sample copy contact [email-masked].

Return address:
E.mail: [email-masked]
Fax: (+44) 1222-665522
Telephone: (+44) 1222-372409
Snailmail: 18 North Road, Cardiff CF1 3DY, UK

-- 
______________________________________
Adam Finkelstein 
[email-masked]