Subject: swarm prevention info

From: [email-masked] (Mike Bist)
Date: 15 Jun 1995 15:59:40 GMT

looking for info on preventing swarming

 thanks,
 pat

---

From: "K.J.M.Hooker" <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Jun 1995 10:37:21 +0100

> looking for info on preventing swarming

Why do people take up beekeeping without learning anything about it 
first?

Try reading some books, going to classes, joining local associations, 
finding a proficient local beekeeper to ask etc etc... 

Keith JM Hooker BA MIPD
Technology Management Ltd
Whitstable, Kent, UK, EC (just)

---

From: "K.J.M.Hooker" <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Jun 1995 21:47:51 +0100

People do not learn to fly planes or drive cars on their own till they 
have some knowledge so why get hold of something that can be absolutely 
lethal to some people without adequate knowledge

Don't think I am hostile, but after a lot of years beekeeping, and 
having been secretary, treasurer, chairman and president of our local 
association I have seen it all before and I know that 90% of a 
beginners problems in the first year could be solved by them attaching 
themselves to a responsible local association who would guide them.

Keith JM Hooker BA MIPD

---

From: Ron Sielinski <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Jun 1995 11:05:44 GMT

> Why do people take up beekeeping without learning anything about it 

Maybe that's what s/he's trying to do.... Not everyone has immediate
access to beekeeping information. After all, many local libraries 
are dreadfully underfunded and therefor unable to afford information 
on specialized fields. So where does one turn? This forum would seem
a fair place. If the mood were friendlier.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ronald Healy)
Date: 21 Jun 1995 00:39:01 GMT

>looking for info on preventing swarming
Being a rookie beekeeper I thought we were taking appropriate swarm control
measures, until yesterday.  I walked out to watch the hives for a while
and noticed that my strongest hive was busier than usual.  As I was standing
there, bees started pouring out by the thousands and the air was clouded 
with them.  The noise was unbelievable.  This is the first swarm I had 
ever seen, and unfortunately it flew off into the nearby trees.  I was 
disappointed the hive had swarmed, but the experience almost made it 
worth it!

---

From: "K.J.M.Hooker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 17:09:52 GMT

I find bees very theraputic, a natural form of stress relief.  If bees 
are handled correctly, most of the time you will not get stung, 
therefore the degree of concentration needed to acheive this is 
somewhat greater than trundling a mower up and down a lawn.  

The result of looking through a dozen hives properly will be a very 
happy and relaxed beekeeper.

Of course the penalty for not doing it properly is a lot of negative 
feedback from the bees (and this can hurt)

Keith JM Hooker BA MIPD

---

From: "K.J.M.Hooker" <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Jun 1995 21:15:11 +0100

If you are learning try a number of different books and select a method 
that is suitable for yourself and your bees.   

Two that I recommend to a beginner are 

"Guide to bees and honey" by Ted Hooper NDB, published by Blandford press 
over here and with ISBN 0 7137 0782 8 as its number

"Keeping Bees" compiled by John B Free and published by the Central 
Association of Beekeepers  ISBN 1 871254 01 9.

The first book is a very practical one and the second brings together a 
number of very good scientific papers that cover the 
knowledge needed to underpin the practical work.

Keith JM Hooker BA MIPD

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Amschel )
Date: 20 Jun 1995 04:52:29 GMT

>a fair place. If the mood were friendlier. 

Also, beekeeping, like medicine, is more of an art than a science. It is 
useful to read books and to log in here and on Andy's BBS to get some of 
the tricks of the trade, but there is more than one way to skin a cat in 
beekeeping. Beekeeping is a real slice of life itself. Bees may be 
closely tuned to holy spirit itself. Do you think so?