Subject: New Beekeeper

From: [email-masked] (Joan Lane)
Date: 17 Jan 1995 19:59:53 GMT

Am I glad to find this group.  I have been trying to keep bees for the last
several years.  They die out every winter. I have been ordering new bees each
spring. What can I do to overwinter my bees?  I only want one or two hives
This year I am ordering bees from Blue Ridge Apiaries that are suppose to be mite resistant.  Any comments on these bees?  Thanks for any help.
Joan

---

From: [email-masked] ("Chris Price")
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 09:02:46 GMT

[email-masked] (Joan Lane) writes in
 Message-ID: <[email-masked]>:--
 
> This year I am ordering bees from Blue Ridge Apiaries that are suppose 
> to be mite resistant.  Any comments on these bees?  Thanks for any help.
> Joan<<<<<<<

Are you giving them enough winter feed?  I reckon that mine should have a 
minimum of 20 kilograms--say 44 lbs;  some strains might need more.  and 
I check about now to feel how heavy the hive is in case they neeed a 
top-up feed.

Secondly, are you ensuring that the hive is well ventilated?  I raise my 
crowm board on matches at each corner which allows the warm moist air to 
escape in a gentle flow.  Chris.