Subject: Sterilizing for AFB (was newbee question)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 95 12:22:26 GMT

Hi bee-lovers !

>In article <[email-masked]>, lamer <[email-masked]> asked:
>>
>>What is the best way to sterilize my equipment for AFB ?

On 5 Jun 1995 11:28:13  <[email-masked]> Adam Finkelstein answered:

> ...[cut]

> If you want to save the frames, remove all the comb and offending AFB,
> then soak the frames in the following solutions:

> Frame Baths: 
> 4 oz. sodium hypochlorite: 100 gal H2O   or ...
> 1 gal Chlorox: 100 gal H20               or ...
> 1 lb lye: 10 gal H2O

> All H2O is HOT (almost boiling)
> All this stuff is nasty, so be careful.

For the best results (i.e.: no more AFB)

1/ pay attention that all the stuff (old wax and old propolis) is quite
   removed from the frames : the wood must be as clean as new !  For these
   results, the water must bee very HOT and the bath time about 10-15 min !
   Remove the floating stuff with a skimmer before removing the clean frames.

2/ for the hives, pay attention to the high stuff rooms = frames
   supports and bottom of the hive : the bottom is the richest spores
   material : dip it also in the frames alcaline solution

2/ don't pour away this dirty water in a place where the bees will
   ever drink !

3/ try to dip completely your clean material (super, bottom, top and
   new foundation frames -complete with the wax foundation) in a 0.2%
   solution of lauric acid in methanol (20 g of lauric acid in 10 lt of
   methyl alcohol) : dip, remove, drain and completely dry before to
   shake the bees.  Each remaining spores will coated with a strong
   inhibitor.

4/ let the bees without any sugar solution for one or two days to
   perform the digestion of the bacteria located in their honey stomach.
   Kneating the wax with lauric acid will coat the spores remaining in
   the mouthparts of the nurse bees.  Afterthat, feed with 2 lt of
   a sugar solution (1/1).

5/ don't share the material of this hive with another before your are
   sure there is no more infection ! In my opinion, at least a year,
   maybe 2 ! Label this hive and pay a special attention to its brood !!

Hope this helps.

Jean-Marie Van Dyck <[email-masked]>