Subject: 3rd RFD: misc.animals.*/rec.pets.* organisations

From: [email-masked] (John Pimentel)
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 00:16:33 LOCAL

=====================================================================
This revision supercedes the 2nd RFD previously labeled:
 2nd RFD: rec.animals.*/rec.pets.* organisations

Is hereafter referred to as:
 3rd RFD: misc.animals.*/rec.pets.* organisations 

Revisions to this RFD include:

Section I
 1) rec.animals.* to misc.animals.* 
 2) m.a.answers to m.a.info
 3) m.a.agriculture.* to m.a.farming.* 
 4) m.a.f.flightless to m.a.f.ratites   
 5) m.a.wild.* to m.a.wildlife.*
 6) m.a.w.tooth-whales to m.a.w.marine-mammals
 7) m.a.w.felines.* combined into m.a.w.felines   
 8) m.a.w.wolves to misc.animals.wildlife.canines
 
Section II
   No Change
   
Notes: 
   1) The RFD is broken into two major sections (this is nothing new
      from the 2nd RFD).  Section I deals with creating groups and 
      renaming two.  Section II deals with renaming the entire hierarcy 
      of rec.pets.* to misc.animals.pets.*.  The other two categories
      in misc.animals.* include farming animals and wild animals.  It
      is understood that pets are animals, but that is not the purpose
      of this additional section.
   2) Section I in the CFV (this is not the CFV) will be acted upon 
      individually.  That is each creation or renaming (2 groups) will 
      be a separate vote, each may pass or fail on it's own.
   3) Section II in the CFV will be acted upon as a cluster move of all
      the groups in one hierarchy to another hierarchy, and will be handled
      as one vote. In the CFV it will proposed to move rec.pets.* to
      misc.animals.pets.*, this may pass or fail on it's own.
   4) Section I passes/fails will not effect Section II pass/fail and
      visa-versa.
   5) This is a major addition to USEnet and there will be a lot of 
      groups listed here.  If you find the number of newsgroups 
      overwhelming you're not alone.
   6) With respect to the misc.animals.farming.birds.* hierarchy a 
      concern was raised that there was only one group listed beyond
      the .misc, this does occur from time to time.
   7) With respect to the FAQ-INFO post mentioned in the RFD, it will
      posted to the groups mentioned in the cross-post line of the RFD,
      specifically: (With the exception of news.announce.newgroups)
      news.groups, rec.animals.wildlife, rec.birds, rec.pets, 
      rec.pets.birds, rec.pets.cats, rec.pets.herp, rec.pets.dogs.info,
      sci.agriculture, sci.agriculture.beekeeping. 
   8) A copy of this RFD will be posted to news.announce.newgroups
      where it will sit while David Lawrence is on vacation until 
      10 July.

Thank you for your participation in this RFD.

John Pimentel
=======================================================================               
               
                3RD REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)

Co-Proponents: Kathryn A. Smith <[email-masked]>
               Steven Whatley <[email-masked]>
               Michael & Susan Harmon <[email-masked]>
               Bob Weber <[email-masked]>
               Jim Buscher

Mentor:        John Pimentel <[email-masked]>

Distribution of Newsgroups:   world

Gateway Proposed:             [email-masked] <=>
                                misc.animals.farming.birds.misc

Distribution of RFD:

The complete official messages - RFD, CFV and vote results will
be posted to these required or affected newsgroups:

news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, rec.animals.wildlife, rec.birds, 
rec.pets, rec.pets.birds, rec.pets.cats, rec.pets.herp, rec.pets.dogs.info,
sci.agriculture, sci.agriculture.beekeeping

and an edited version will go to these mailing lists:

CC:   [email-masked]
      [email-masked]
      [email-masked]
      [email-masked]
      [email-masked]
      [email-masked]
      [email-masked]
      [email-masked]
      [email-masked]
      [email-masked]
      [email-masked]

Separate RFD/CFV's will be sent, in batches, to these effected newsgroups:

rec.pets.dogs.activities, rec.pets.dogs.breeds, rec.pets.dogs.behavior, 
rec.pets.dogs.health, rec.pets.dogs.rescue, rec.pets.dogs.misc, alt.wolves,
alt.pets.rabbits, alt.pets.ferrets, alt.pets.hamsters, alt.chinchilla, 
alt.animals.bears, alt.animals.dolphins, alt.animals.felines, 
alt.animals.felines.lions, alt.animals.felines.snowleopards, 
alt.animals.foxes, alt.animals.raccoons, alt.agriculture.misc, 
alt.med.veterinary

AND any other effected groups that may need notification.

NOTE: This is not a Call for Votes. Do not try to vote now.
      Follow-ups set to news.groups, please honour. See the
      "Procedure" section, below, for details.

Procedure:

 Interested parties are encouraged to comment on this proposal
 in news.groups.  Please post your comments *only* in
 news.groups.  After 21 days, if there appears to be a strong
 consensus in favor of this proposal as it is written here, a
 CFV will be posted, which will initiate the voting process;
 otherwise, discussion will continue until a more refined
 proposal can be prepared.

 Again, please do *not* vote now.  The voting process has not
 begun, and your votes will be DISCARDED if you attempt to do
 so.

 For more information on the newsgroup creation process, see the
 documents entitled "How to Create a New Usenet Newsgroup" and
 "Usenet Newsgroup Creation Companion" by David Lawrence
 <[email-masked]>, posted regularly to news.groups,
 news.announce.newusers, and news.answers, and available for ftp
 at rtfm.mit.edu in /pub/usenet/news.groups.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
With the number of users of the Internet increasing, the need to
reorganize the animal groups is increasing as well.  New users
have a difficult time finding the many scattered animal groups
and then are confused about which group is the appropriate group
to post to because the names are not very descriptive.  With
this proposal we wish to create a newsgroup skeleton that will
hopefully, in time, better organize and name the scattered
animal groups.

Please read each SECTION carefully.  Keep in mind that when a CFV
is posted:

1) each newsgroup that is either created or renamed will be voted
   on separately (that way we eliminate creating newsgroups that
   do not have lots of demand)

                           AND

2) each SECTION of the proposal will be voted on separately
   (SECTION I may pass but SECTION II may fail, or SECTION II may pass
   and some of the newsgroups created in SECTION I may fail)

Although this type of independent "rename and create" is not common,
there are several precedents to the same type of voting procedure.
This occured with both comp.windows.ms.*-->comp.os.ms-windows.* and
rec.games.deckmaster.*-->rec.games.trading-cards.*.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

                       SECTION I

 Status : only misc.animals.info will be moderated

 Create the following groups:

                misc.animals.misc
                misc.animals.farming.misc
                misc.animals.farming.birds.misc
                misc.animals.farming.birds.ratites
  (moderated)   misc.animals.info 
                misc.animals.health
                misc.animals.marketplace
                misc.animals.wildlife.bears
                misc.animals.wildlife.felines
                misc.animals.wildlife.foxes
                misc.animals.wildlife.raccoons
                misc.animals.wildlife.marine-mammals
                misc.animals.wildlife.canines
                rec.pets.ferrets
                rec.pets.marketplace
                rec.pets.rabbits
                rec.pets.rodents.misc
                rec.pets.rodents.chinchillas
                rec.pets.rodents.hamsters
                rec.pets.support

 Rename the following groups:

        misc.animals.wildlife ..... to  misc.animals.wildlife.misc
        rec.birds ................. to  misc.animals.wildlife.birds

Newsgroups line:

misc.animals.misc ............... Catch-all group for animal related topics
misc.animals.farming.misc .................... Any animal used as livestock
misc.animals.farming.birds.misc .......... Domesticated/farmyard birds only
misc.animals.farming.birds.ratites ....... For emus, ostriches, rheas, etc.
misc.animals.info ...... For FAQs, charters, and general info about animals
misc.animals.health ........ For general questions concerning animal health
misc.animals.marketplace . Place ads to buy/sell animals & animals products
misc.animals.wildlife.misc ........................ All species of wildlife
misc.animals.wildlife.bears ................. Topics relating to wild bears
misc.animals.wildlife.birds ................. Topics relating to wild birds
misc.animals.wildlife.felines ................. All species of wild felines
misc.animals.wildlife.foxes ................. Topics relating to wild foxes
misc.animals.wildlife.raccoons ........... Topics relating to wild raccoons
misc.animals.wildlife.marine-mammals Topics relating to wild marine-mammals
misc.animals.wildlife.canines .... Topics relating to wolves & wolf crosses
rec.pets.ferrets ........................... Topics relating to pet ferrets
rec.pets.marketplace ............ Place ads to buy/sell pets & pet products
rec.pets.rabbits ........................... Topics relating to pet rabbits
rec.pets.rodents.misc ........................... All species of pet rodent
rec.pets.rodents.chinchillas ........... Topics relating to pet chinchillas
rec.pets.rodents.hamsters ................. Topics relating to pet hamsters
rec.pets.support ......................... Topics related to support issues

RATIONALE:

The discussion of birds used in farming, like emus, chickens, quail, 
pheasants, and ostriches, do not fall into the wildlife or pet categories.  
So, we propose the creation of misc.animals.farming.birds.misc and 
m.a.farming.birds.ratites.  Future growth in the m.a.f.birds.* could 
be along the lines of game birds (pheasants, turkeys, peacocks, quail, 
etc.), pigeons (fancy and homing), water fowl (ducks, geese), etc. The 
m.a.f.m group will be a catch-all group for the discussion of sheep, 
cows, pigs, and other farm animals.  As deemed necessary, more 
misc.animals.farming.* newsgroups can be formed.

Due to the large number of animal related newsgroups, having a place a
person can go that will assist them in choosing which newsgroup to read
and post to is necessary.  Therefore, we are proposing the creation of
the newsgroup misc.animals.info.  This newsgroup will post the charters 
and FAQs for each of the animal newsgroups (if available) as well as 
other sites on the internet that could be of interest to animals
enthusiasts.  This newsgroup will be moderated by Ronda Devold at
[email-masked].

Much of the discussion on the animal related newsgroups involves the
health and general well-being of animals.  Therefore, we propose the
newsgroup misc.animals.health.   The purpose of the newsgroup is to help
individuals become better informed about the problems that they may
encounter while caring for animals, and, to offer possible solutions to
these various problems.  Acquired, hereditary, and traumatic disorders
can be discussed in this newsgroup, as well as questions regarding
nutrition and feeding.  This newsgroup is not intended to replace
veterinary care, but rather to help individuals ask the "right" questions 
when an animal must be seen by a qualified veterinarian. Although this 
newsgroup is not moderated, it will be monitored by veterinarians.

There has been discussion in many of the newgroups for a place to advertise 
animals and animals related products for sale.  Therefore, we propose the 
creation of the newsgroups misc.animals.marketplace and rec.pets.marketplace.  Having a separate newsgroup for people wishing
to buy or sell something will reduce the number of these messages showing
up in the different animal groups.  These proposed newgroups will offer
buyers and sellers a more narrowed audience in which to advertise then
currently seen in the various *.forsale newsgroups.

For the current newsgroup rec.birds, there exists a confusion about what 
types of birds can be discussed there.  This group is for wild birds only. 
So, we propose to rename rec.birds to misc.animals.wildlife.birds.  And, 
to go along with that change, we propose to rename rec.animals.wildlife to
misc.animals.wildlife.misc.  In no way do we intend to demine the importance 
of misc.animals.wildlife or make it less visible.  We simply want to make it 
consistant with the rest of the misc.animals.* hierarchy.

While creating this misc.animals.* hierarchy we need to give the 
alt.animals.* and alt.pets.* folks a chance to join the misc.animals.*, 
rec.pets.* groups, or misc.animals.pets.* group (if SECTION II of this 
proposal passes).  There are numerious wild and pet animals groups that 
currently exist in alt.

Finally, loss of a beloved pet can be devastating.  We are proposing the
creation of rec.pets.support to help those who have lost their pet deal
with the pain and grief.  Other emotional issues involving pets will be
discussed here as well.  rec.pets.support will be an informal support
group for dealing with human-animals relationships by talking with
others that are going through (or have gone through) a similar ordeal.

BACKGROUND:

In an *initial* survey conducted over a five day period on the newsgroups 
rec.birds, rec.pets, and rec.pets.birds, the following results were seen.  
Out of the 40 people responding to the survey, 20 voted YES to adding a 
newsgroup about domesticated birds and 3 voted NO.  For changing the name 
of rec.birds to something more descriptive, 33 voted YES for some type of 
name change and 0 voted NO.

In an *cursory* poll conducted in the newsgroups alt.pets.rabbits, of 
the 25 individuals that responded, 20 voted that they would like to have 
a newsgroup for rabbits listed under rec, 4 said Maybe, and 1 said No.  
In a separate *cursory* poll conducted on alt.pets.hamsters, only six 
individuals responded, but all said YES they would like a hamsters 
newsgroup listed under rec.  Also, in scanning through the posts of 
rec.birds and rec.pets.birds for approximately 12 days, there were 2-3 
posts per day that could have been discussed in the proposed newsgroups 
misc.animals.farming.birds or m.a.farming.birds.ratites. Several of the 
posts dealt with questions and answers on how to raise domesticated birds 
(i.e. pigeon, doves, and ducks).  On two separate occasions, a letter was 
posted to both rec.birds and rec.pets.birds because there was not a 
distinct and obvious newsgroup that covered the topic of the letter (i.e. 
a domesticated bird).  Also, from asking the subscribers to the LISTSERV 
mailing list, EXOTIC-L, I found out that several people on the list raise 
domesticated birds as well as have indoor, exotic birds as pets.  This was 
also true of one individual who posted to rec.pets.birds in response to one 
of the domesticated bird posts mentioned above.  Also, since the creation 
of the LISTSERV mailing list POULTRY+ (Forum for Domesticated/Farmyard 
Birds) on 3/29/95 the list has grown to over 90 subscribers (with more 
individuals subscribing every day); while, the mailing list emu-ratites 
current has over 120 subscribers.  This demonstrates that there is an 
audience of individuals that simply require a forum in which to speak.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
The following SECTION is proposed in order to combine the animal
related topics under one hierarchy.  This SECTION will be voted on
separately from the groups listed in SECTION I.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

                          SECTION II

Rename the entire rec.pets.* hierarchy to misc.animals.pets.*

rec.pets ..................... to  misc.animals.pets.misc
rec.pets.birds ............... to  misc.animals.pets.birds
rec.pets.cats ................ to  misc.animals.pets.cats
rec.pets.dogs.activities ..... to  misc.animals.pets.dogs.activities
rec.pets.dogs.behavior ....... to  misc.animals.pets.dogs.behavior
rec.pets.dogs.breeds ......... to  misc.animals.pets.dogs.breeds
rec.pets.dogs.health ......... to  misc.animals.pets.dogs.health
rec.pets.dogs.info ........... to  misc.animals.pets.dogs.info
rec.pets.dogs.misc ........... to  misc.animals.pets.dogs.misc
rec.pets.dogs.rescue ......... to  misc.animals.pets.dogs.rescue
rec.pets.ferrets ............. to  misc.animals.pets.ferrets
rec.pets.herp ................ to  misc.animals.pets.herps
rec.pets.marketplace ......... to  misc.animals.pets.marketplace
rec.pets.rabbits ............. to  misc.animals.pets.rabbits
rec.pets.rodents ............. to  misc.animals.pets.rodents.misc
rec.pets.rodents.chinchillas . to  misc.animals.pets.rodents.chinchillas
rec.pets.rodents.hamsters .... to  misc.animals.pets.rodents.hamsters
rec.pets.support ............. to  misc.animals.pets.support

If it passes, all other groups mentioned in the RFD/CFV, as well as
exitsting rec.pets.* groups, will have misc.animals as their base
hierarchy.  If it fails, all these groups will have rec.pets as their
base hierarchy.

RATIONALE:

The internet is expanding expotentially with each passing day.
Therefore, we believe that now is the best time to create a
misc.animals.* hierarchy, due to the increasing traffic and variety
of posts found in the many existing animal newsgroups.  Our proposal
will create a flexible and easily expandable hierarchy called
misc.animals.* where a wide variety of topics concerning animals
can be discussed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROPOSED CHARTERS:  The *complete* charter for each newsgroup in SECTION I
                    can be seen in the FAQ for misc.animals.*/rec.pets.*
                    Hierarchies

A BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF EACH GROUP IN SECTION I:

Please see the proposed charters for the list of what can and cannot
be discussed in each newsgroup.  In all cases, any topics that would
clearly fit into a pre-existing newsgroup should be discussed in that
newsgroup (i.e. exotic, pet birds should only be discussed in
rec.pets.birds, not in misc.animals.farming.birds.* or
misc.animals.wildlife.birds.misc)

misc.animals.misc
  The proposed unmoderated newsgroup misc.animals.misc will be
  a catch-all newsgroup for any animal related topic that does not
  have a clearly defined, pre-existing newsgroup.

misc.animals.farming.misc
  The proposed unmoderated newsgroup misc.animals.farming.misc
  will be open to the discussion of topics related to any species of
  animal used as livestock, ex, cattle, fowl, rabbits, sheep, etc.

misc.animals.farming.birds.misc
  The proposed unmoderated newsgroup misc.animals.farming.birds.misc
  will be open to discussion of topics related to birds that are used 
  as livestock.

misc.animals.farming.birds.ratites
  The proposed unmoderated newsgroup misc.animals.farming.birds.ratites 
  will be open to discussion of topics related to the owning, breeding, 
  and farming of ratites (i.e. emu,  ostrich, rheas, etc.).

misc.animals.info
  The proposed *moderated* newsgroup misc.animals.info will be open to the 
  placement of the animal related newsgroup's charters and FAQs.   A list 
  of other animal related sites on the internet will also be maintained.  
  Ronda DeVold <[email-masked]> will be the moderator for this 
  newsgroup.

misc.animals.health
  The proposed unmoderated newsgroup misc.animals.health will be open to 
  the discussion of any topic relating to animal health in general.  This 
  newsgroup is not meant to replace veterinary advice or care, but rather 
  allow the individual to ask "informed" questions about an animals health 
  and well-being.  Although not moderated, this newsgroup will be monitored 
  by veterinarians.

misc.animals.marketplace
  The proposed unmoderated newsgroup misc.animals.marketplace will be open 
  to people placing ads to buy and sell animals and animal related products, 
  with the exception of pets and pet products.

misc.animals.wildlife.misc
  This newsgroup will be renamed from the existing group 
  misc.animals.wildlife and will be open to the discussion of many topics 
  involving wild animals.  The charter for this new group will be the same 
  as for misc.animals.wildlife.

misc.animals.wildlife.bear
  The proposed unmoderated newsgroup misc.animals.wildlife.bears will be open 
  for the discussion of topics relating to bears.

misc.animals.wildlife.birds
  This newsgroup will be renamed from the existing group rec.birds and is 
  for the discussion of wild birds and bird watching.  The charter for 
  this new group will be the same as for rec.birds.

misc.animals.wildlife.felines
  The proposed unmoderated newsgroup misc.animals.wildlife.felines will be 
  open for the discussion of topics relating to all species of wild felines 
  (with the exception of feral domestic cats).

misc.animals.wildlife.foxes
  The proposed unmoderated newsgroup misc.animals.wildlife.foxes will be open 
  for the discussion of topics relating to foxes.

misc.animals.wildlife.raccoons
  The proposed unmoderated newsgroup misc.animals.wildlife.raccoons will be 
  open for the discussion of topics relating to raccoons.

misc.animals.wildlife.marine-mammals
  The proposed unmoderated newsgroup misc.animals.wildlife.marine-mammals
  will be open for the discussion of topics relating to all species of
  marine mammals.

misc.animals.wildlife.canines
  The proposed unmoderated newsgroup misc.animals.wildlife.canines will be
  open for the discussion of topics relating to wolves and wolf crosses.
  Discussion of wolf crosses kept as pets will be allowed.

rec.pets.ferrets
  The proposed unmoderated newsgroup rec.pets.ferrets will be open
  to topics relating to the care and ownership of pet ferrets.

rec.pets.marketplace
  The proposed unmoderated newsgroup rec.pets.marketplace will be open to 
  people who wish to buy and sell animals that are kept as pets, as well 
  as, pet related products.

rec.pets.rabbits
  The proposed unmoderated newsgroup rec.pets.rabbits will be open to any 
  topic relating to the care and ownership of pet rabbits.

rec.pets.rodents.misc
  The proposed unmoderated newsgroup rec.pets.rodents.misc will be open to 
  topics that involve rodents kept as pets.

rec.pets.rodents.chinchillas
  The proposed unmoderated newsgroup rec.pets.rodents.chinchillas will be 
  open to topics that involve chinchillas kept as pets.

rec.pets.rodents.hamsters
  The proposed unmoderated newsgroup rec.pets.rodents.hamsters will be open 
  to topics that involve hamsters kept as pets.

rec.pets.support
  The proposed unmoderated newsgroup rec.pets.support will be open to 
  support issues involving pets.
---

---

From: [email-masked] (Cindy Tittle Moore)
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 15:10:02 GMT

>                misc.animals.farming.birds.ratites

So, does birds go in or not?  I think it's an unnecessary level.
But at least fix the discrepancy in 1).

--Cindy
-- 
_________________________Cindy Tittle Moore___________________________________

Internet: [email-masked]              USmail: PO Box 4188, Irvine CA, 92716
                   WWW: http://www.io.com/user/tittle/

---

From: [email-masked] (John Harris)
Date: 4 Jul 1995 20:59:04 GMT

:  Create the following groups:

:                 misc.animals.misc
:                 misc.animals.farming.misc
:   (moderated)   misc.animals.info 
:                 misc.animals.health
:                 misc.animals.marketplace

The above proposed news groups are the ones I would verry much like to see
available in the News Groups section.  Thanks for your consideration. 
John harris

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 5 Jul 1995 12:47:18 GMT

In <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (John Pimentel) writes:
;>=====================================================================
;>This revision supercedes the 2nd RFD previously labeled:
;> 2nd RFD: rec.animals.*/rec.pets.* organisations
;>
;>Is hereafter referred to as:
;> 3rd RFD: misc.animals.*/rec.pets.* organisations
;>
.. snip ...

;> Again, please do *not* vote now.  The voting process has not
;> begun, and your votes will be DISCARDED if you attempt to do
;> so.

I have yet to see a 'call for votes' on rec.pet.birds.  Most casual news group
followers are not aware of, nor do they follow 'news.groups'.  How about asking
the various news group participents their opinion, directly, and letting them vote
on the renaming!

.. snip ...

Why are the following groups (as indicated by a *) being created?

;>                       SECTION I
;>
;> Status : only misc.animals.info will be moderated
;>
;> Create the following groups:
;>
;>                misc.animals.misc
;>                misc.animals.farming.misc
;>                misc.animals.farming.birds.misc
;>                misc.animals.farming.birds.ratites
;>  (moderated)   misc.animals.info
;>                misc.animals.health
;>                misc.animals.marketplace
;>                misc.animals.wildlife.bears
;>                misc.animals.wildlife.felines
;>                misc.animals.wildlife.foxes
;>                misc.animals.wildlife.raccoons
;>                misc.animals.wildlife.marine-mammals
;>                misc.animals.wildlife.canines
*>                rec.pets.ferrets
*>                rec.pets.marketplace
*>                rec.pets.rabbits
*>                rec.pets.rodents.misc
*>                rec.pets.rodents.chinchillas
*>                rec.pets.rodents.hamsters
*>                rec.pets.support
:>

While the following groups are being renamed?

;>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
;>
;>                          SECTION II
;>
;>Rename the entire rec.pets.* hierarchy to misc.animals.pets.*
;>
;>rec.pets ..................... to  misc.animals.pets.misc
;>rec.pets.birds ............... to  misc.animals.pets.birds
;>rec.pets.cats ................ to  misc.animals.pets.cats
;>rec.pets.dogs.activities ..... to  misc.animals.pets.dogs.activities
;>rec.pets.dogs.behavior ....... to  misc.animals.pets.dogs.behavior
;>rec.pets.dogs.breeds ......... to  misc.animals.pets.dogs.breeds
;>rec.pets.dogs.health ......... to  misc.animals.pets.dogs.health
;>rec.pets.dogs.info ........... to  misc.animals.pets.dogs.info
;>rec.pets.dogs.misc ........... to  misc.animals.pets.dogs.misc
;>rec.pets.dogs.rescue ......... to  misc.animals.pets.dogs.rescue
;>rec.pets.ferrets ............. to  misc.animals.pets.ferrets
;>rec.pets.herp ................ to  misc.animals.pets.herps
;>rec.pets.marketplace ......... to  misc.animals.pets.marketplace
;>rec.pets.rabbits ............. to  misc.animals.pets.rabbits
;>rec.pets.rodents ............. to  misc.animals.pets.rodents.misc
;>rec.pets.rodents.chinchillas . to  misc.animals.pets.rodents.chinchillas
;>rec.pets.rodents.hamsters .... to  misc.animals.pets.rodents.hamsters
;>rec.pets.support ............. to  misc.animals.pets.support
;>

;>RATIONALE:
;>
;>The internet is expanding expotentially with each passing day.
;>Therefore, we believe that now is the best time to create a
;>misc.animals.* hierarchy, due to the increasing traffic and variety
;>of posts found in the many existing animal newsgroups.  Our proposal
;>will create a flexible and easily expandable hierarchy called
;>misc.animals.* where a wide variety of topics concerning animals
;>can be discussed.
;>

While I agree that the internet is expanding, the naming convention being 
proposed makes no sense and is confusing.  Renaming 'rec.pets.'... to 'pets.'... 
is more meaningful and less confusing than to 'misc.animals.pets.'...!   Let's not
make it difficult for a person to find a group they are interested in.  Not all
News Readers have a search capability.

Ted Martin