Subject: Ancient bee bacteria

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Sat, 27 May 1995 00:56:00 GMT

*ripped off b-list*
                    ----------------------------------------
From: Jane Beckman <[email-masked]>
Date:         Fri, 26 May 1995 09:28:23 PDT
Subject:      Ancient bee bacteria

I haven't seen this one mentioned here, so I thought I'd pass it on.
What sorts of diseases did it protect against?  Could it have any value
to modern bees?

Jane B.

--------

A bacteria that hibernated as a spore for  at  least  25  million
years  is  awake and thriving after researchers recovered it from
the gut of a bee that had been preserved in amber.  Raul J.  Cano
of  California  Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo, said the
bacteria makes a natural antibiotic that  kills  other  bacteria,
helping  to keep the bee hive free of disease. This natural anti-
biotic is now being analyzed for possible use in medicine.  (AP)