Subject: bear fencing

From: [email-masked] (Sml Sml)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 14:00:28 GMT

Hi [email-masked], how are you

09-Feb-95 17:32, [email-masked] wrote to All
          Subject:bear fencing?

 L> Could someone with experiance
 L> comment on the effectivness of this info or direct me to
some better?

In Finland brown bears have robbed honey and bees from bee
colonies over ten years. We have about 45 000 bee colonies and
in 1994 we lost 109 colonies to bears. The loss was about 220
000 FIM. We have 600 - 1000 bears in Finland. If we do not have
the electrical fencing the loss could be many times higher.

In three seasons we have used electrical fencing by three
electric wire, battery (rechargeable, 70 AH) and two different
energisers trade marks: Olli 16A (Finnish) and Gallegher B 150.
Some have also used 220 V input energiser.

The beekeepers who have uset electrical fencing have in most
cases avoided losses afterwards. In some cases bears have
damaged the colonies because the battery was empty or bears have
gone under the wires via ditch. Some bears try to dig under the
wires but if you place one colony in the middle between posts at
� - 1 m from wires they left the posts free and do not succeed
damaging colonies.

��Ŀ
   ����> Best regards from Pekka Peltotalo
                            Sml Sml

--- Terminate 1.42b/Pro
 * Origin: Finnish Beekeepers' Association    BeeNet (240:2358/102)