Subject: Moth Crystals for wax moths?

From: [email-masked] (Hugo Veerkamp)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 00:12:03 GMT

hi  Pete,

 > Or maybe a bettere question would be,
 > "Should you use
 > moth crystals? and if so, When, where, how and for
 > what purposes?"

Do NOT use moth crystals against wax moths !!
because the activeingredient, Paradichlorobenzene ( PDB)
tends to get into the wax and stay there, even when
heating the wax or using other methods. This is caused
by chemical properties of PDB,
which make it much better soluble in fatty substances
( like wax) than in water etc. Sitting there in the wax
it will continue to be poisonous to waxmoths ( good), but
also to your bees ( not good).

 There are several alternatives to salvage the good wax still present in
your infested hives:

a. boil water in an enormous pan and throw in the pieces of good wax you
can break out of the infested frames. After cooling a cake of wax will form
on the water surface and can be taken out easily. It will still be dirty
and unpurified, but the moth cannot go on consuming any more wax to leave
you ith their black excrement instead.

b. put all frames that are still > 75% ok in a big airtight plastic bag and
add a piece of cardboard or beer-mat, in which an amount of 99% ACETIC ACID
is absorbed. Close up the bag airtight and leave until use of the frames.
At that time simply hang the frames outside in the wind to evaporate all
taces of the acetic acid. The acetic acid kills off not only the wax moth
but also reduces the (possible, but less recognisable) presence of other
diseases. Moreover, the acid is not fat soluble so will not stay in the wax
after treatment. A simple aeration is sufficient to blow away all of the
acid n 15 minutes ( any residual acid is easily detectable by smell).

sincerely, Hugo

P.S. an added advantage is that moth balls can cause cancer in humans and
acetic acid does not. H.

               \|/
               @ @             Hugo Veerkamp
 ----------oOO-(_)-OOo---------------------------------------------
| reply to:                     BEENET INTERNATIONAL               |
| [email-masked]| mail : the Bee bbs       |
|                                       |        P.O. BOX 51008    |
| DO NOT SIMPLY PRESS REPLY BUTTON !!   |        1007EA AMSTERDAM  |
|(or your reply gets lost in bit heaven)|        The Netherlands   |
| Beenet : 240:31/0                     | modem: +31 20 6764105    |
| Fidonet: 2:2801/28                    | voice: +31 20 6715663    |
 ------------------------------------------------------------------

--- FMail 0.96â+
 * Origin: zzz the BEE bbs Amsterdam Holland +31 20 6764105 zzz (240:231/100)

---

From: [email-masked] (Allen Dick 546-2588)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 15:29:41 GMT

<heavily exerpted>

:  There are several alternatives to salvage the good wax still present in
: your infested hives:

: a. boil water in an enormous pan and throw in the pieces of good wax you
: can break out of the infested frames. After cooling a cake of wax will form

: b. put all frames that are still > 75% ok in a big airtight plastic bag and
: add a piece of cardboard or beer-mat, in which an amount of 99% ACETIC ACID

If you have only a few frames and a big freezer, stick the plastic bags in
the freezer overnight.  That will dispense the wax moths and usually any
eggs. 

Allen
-- 
W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                        VE6CFK 
Rural Route One   Swalwell   Alberta   Canada  T0M 1Y0 
Email:   [email-masked]    or   [email-masked]
Virtual Art Gallery: http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka