Subject: Re: Paraffin wax dipping

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 15:33:00 GMT

*Paraffin Wax for wooden bee goods*

From: Jean-Marie Van Dyck <[email-masked]>
Date:         Mon, 22 May 1995 11:00:21 +0100
Subject:      Re: Paraffin wax dipping

On Fri, 19 May 1995 22:49:39 +1030 Jean-Pierre Chapleau
                                         <[email-masked]> wrote:

PARAFFIN DIPPERS

> For now I use a 45 gallon barrel as a dipper.  It is not convenient.
> It holds only one super at a time.  I plan to build a real wax dipper.
> I have on hand two papers with plans of two different dippers: one by
> Murray Reid and Andrew Matheson and the other one by Andrew Matheson
> (do you hear me Andrew?).  I think the most recent plan is dated 1986.
> Does anyone know of improvements since then?  Why reinvent what has
> been invented? ;)

OK! but your dipper dimensions must be in agreement with your hives
and nucs formats and dimensions. The barrel in not the most convenient
because it's not a square one and your supers are.:-) I know 2
paraffin wax dippers in my area.  They are cubic dippers largely
adapted for a Dadant 12 frames brood chamber (about 60x60 cm for the
one, about 64x64 cm for the second which is used for dipping the four
nucs super with half Dadant frames according the brother Adam breeding
method).  You could also put 2 Dadant honey supers.

The particularity is that it is possible to block a small iron cube!
(it's not cubic but higher than wide) on the middel of the dipper to
avoid a too important wax quantity to heat when you only dip brood
chambers and supers. For bottoms and tops, the small cube is removed.
There are 4 iron legs (8 cm square) and wheels to move it (wheight).
There is also a tap(1" faucet) to remove the paraffim wax, in any
case. But seems there is never used. The cover is also use as a
drainer when the dip stuffs are removed from the bath.

MICROWAX???

> Jean-Marie, you refer to MICROWAX.  What is it.  Is this just a brand
> name or is it a special kind of paraffin.  Personnally I have been using
> what is sold in Canada as grade 2 paraffin.

Microwax is the term used by our suppliers (seems for microcristalline
   wax?) but there are some qualities and forms: Qualities : The
melting point may vary from 60 dC to 85-90 dC and the price!  Forms :
You can get it in blocks (5-10 kg : 30 kg/box) or in pearl (25 kg
bags)

Suppliers : Ask to the Oil refiners : they don't sell the wax in small
quantities but give you the technical indications and the suppliers.
Look for the candels suppliers : this wax is used to the external part
of the candels.

PRICE OF PARAFFIN

> Here I paid the equivalent of 1.89$ US for my paraffin (500 kilos).
> I had a hard time to find a supplier.  It would be nice to hear from
> other as far as price and suppliers.  I got mine from a big hardware
> company (Rona) but I am sure there must be other suppliers.

prices of microwax in Belgium (April 95) (1 US$ = about 30 BEF
=Belgian Franc) quantity +-300 kg

Quality HMP (mp 85 dC)(we use this !!) box of 25kg  BEF 92/kg (+20.5% VAT)
    "   H330 (mp 75 C)                    id        BEF 66/kg      "
    "   LMP (mp 65 C)                     id        BEF 76/kg      "
The Pearl forms is a bit more expensive !

We are using the High Melting Point one because it seems to have a
better comportment in the sun (don't flow as early?) and this seems
not so fat when you take it in hands.

We plan to do experiments with adding about 1% copper naphthenate in
the dip solution.  I'll tell you ...

Cheers
Jean-Marie <[email-masked]>