Subject: Permandent vs Pure Beeswax Foundation

From: [email-masked] (Paul Cronshaw D.C.)
Date: Thu, 04 May 1995 14:03:52 -0800

Since I cannot seem to find the BEE-list these days, I am posting this
message on this Newsgroup.

What is the general consensus on Plastic foundation (i.e. Permadent) vs
Pure Beeswax foundation?

The ease of snapping plastic foundation is much greater than wiring,
eyelets and embedding pure beeswax.  

What are the pros and cons of plastic foundation?

-- 
Paul Cronshaw DC
Cyberspace Chiropractor
Helping the Infrastructure of the Backbone
[email-masked]

---

From: "Victor C. Rimkus" <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 May 1995 14:45:58 GMT

> What are the pros and cons of plastic foundation?

Paul,

This is my third year using permadent foundation and I prefer it over
all other types. I have not had any problems with the bees not accepting
it. I have had problems with wax foundation sagging and being chewed
down. I have had problems with Duragilt sagging and rusting on the
metal edges. I am in the process of replacing all other types of
foundation with permadent. This process will take a few years but
it is so nice to have solid comb that does not sag or flop out of
the frame while doing inspections. I like it, and I think it enhances
the neatness of the hives which should make happier bees. As for
extracting, I haven't found anything easier to work with. I live in
a hot/dry climate and our honey is thick. Plain wax foundation breaks
before half of the honey can be extracted.

My question is:
Can old permadent be cleaned up and reused?

---

From: [email-masked] (bill fernihough)
Date: 9 May 1995 04:18:59 GMT

> Can old permadent be cleaned up and reused?
I also have become a convert for plastic foundation, even though I am an
amateur of 10 years experience.  This is the first year I went into it in
a big way and find even the queen likes it.  Keep going.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Cronshaw D.C.)
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 21:51:46 -0800

In article <[email-masked]>,
[email-masked] (Robert  Inget) wrote:

> In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked]
(Paul Cronshaw D.C.) writes:
> >From: [email-masked] (Paul Cronshaw D.C.)
> >Subject: Permandent vs Pure Beeswax Foundation
> >Date: Thu, 04 May 1995 14:03:52 -0800
> 
>  Paul, I have been told by many beekeepers that they like plastic, they go 
>  round and round in the extractor very well. However I have noticed that if 
> there is a bald spot on the comb the bees will just leave it alone. However 
> one could spray wax on the vacancys and that will fix.
> BerryBob

Berrybob,

How does one "spray beeswax" onto the plastic bald spots?

Paul

---

From: [email-masked] (Allen Dick 546-2588)
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 10:56:51 GMT

: >Since I cannot seem to find the BEE-list these days, I am posting this
: >message on this Newsgroup.

For those who wish to enjoy bee-l, the bee mailing list, just send email 
to [email-masked] with no subject and the message 

SUBSCRIBE BEE-L YOUR NAME

Where 'YOUR NAME' is your own name.

Be prepared to relpy to a message from the LISTSERV within a few hours at 
most -- and then you will start to receive mail from the list.

Allen
-- 
W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                        VE6CFK 
Rural Route One   Swalwell   Alberta   Canada  T0M 1Y0 
Email:   [email-masked]    or   [email-masked]
Futures, Art & Honey:http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Inget)
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 19:14:40