Subject: WWW Page Moves

From: [email-masked] (Jordan Schwartz)
Date: 5 Jan 1995 02:43:55 GMT

The Beekeeping World Wide Web page is now at:

http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jlks/bee.html

Thanks,

Jordan L.K. Schwartz       !  University of Washington
[email-masked]      !  Department of Psychology
http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jlks/jordan.html

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Jan 1995 00:47:34 GMT

>  http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jlks/bee.html
Can anyone tell me how to make the symbol between edu/ and jlks?
 I've tried ommitting it, which doesn't work. 

Thanks!  - Dale

---

From: [email-masked] (Joel Vanneste)
Date: 6 Jan 1995 02:46:04 GMT

>  I've tried ommitting it, which doesn't work. 

On my Macintosh I simply copied the address from your message on the
clipboard, opened NCSA Mosaic, and when requested pasted the address, a
double click et voila.  However, I am not sure that you can do this if you
do not have a Macintosh.

Hope it will work for you.

Cheers

Joel

-- 
Joel Vanneste
Hort Research, Priv. Bag 3123
Hamilton,  New Zealand
Ph  +64-7-838 5078
Fax +64-7-838 5903

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard Spear)
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 1995 17:51:31 PST

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>From: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: WWW Page Moves
>Date: 6 Jan 1995 00:47:34 GMT

>Thanks!  - Dale

Dale - It's a tilde and it is on every US keyboard I've ever seen (of course, 
Iuse PC's ... don't know about Macs, etc.).

Regards, Richard
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Gordon Scott)
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 1995 11:04:10 +0000

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked]  writes:

> Can anyone tell me how to make the [tilde]

If it isn't on your keyboard but you can make characters by their value,
tilde is 7E (hex), 126 (decimal), 176 (octal).  On a PC you can form any
character by holding down the Alt  key  and  typing  whilst  typing  the
decimal  value  on the *numeric* keypad.  The character appears when you
finally release the Alt key.

-- 
Gordon Scott	[email-masked]		100332,3310 on CompuServe
Newsletter	[email-masked]	ditto
		Beekeeper, Kendo Sandan, sometime sailor.
		Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG22 5HP, UK

Quanti ille canis est in fenestra ?

---

From: [email-masked] (Allen Dick 546-2588)
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 1995 16:33:58 GMT

: > Can anyone tell me how to make the symbol between edu/ and jlks?
: >  I've tried ommitting it, which doesn't work. 

It's the tilde (~), the shifted character located above the 'tab' and below 
the 'esc' keys on this particular keyboard.  If you don't have it, you 
may have to remap your keyboard, or keep it somewhere and cut and paste 
it in or:

: On my Macintosh I simply copied the address from your message on the
: clipboard, opened NCSA Mosaic, and when requested pasted the address, a
: double click et voila.  However, I am not sure that you can do this if you
: do not have a Macintosh.

To carry this somewhat off-topic, but fascinating topic one step further:

For Windoze users:

I personally use the clipbook (Windoze 3.11) each time I come across a 
URL of interest and save them up as Clipbook pages (one line per page with 
descriptive titles).

If you don't have a clipbook, just open a notepad. Title it '@urls' or
something that will be easy to find in your windows directory (the
default) and copy and paste URLs -- along with descriptions -- there. 
Keep it open all the time if you have lots of memory and alt/tab or 
alt/esc to it, or just save it and open it only when you need it.

When you need the URL's, just alt/tab to (or open) the notepad and copy
>from  the notepad to clipboard and then paste to the dialog box on your
brouser. 

I had to configure my right mouse button to 'paste' because a lot of
stupid windows applications won't allow you to access the 'edit' menu when
a dialog box is open (bummer).  

I have a logitech trackball (bonus!) and so am not sure anymore what the
original 'mouse' settings in Windows 3.* control panel look like and
offer, but I believe there are ways to assign 'paste' to the right button. 
There is probably a keyboard 'paste' workaround, but don't know if it is
allowed in dialog boxes. 

Of course, you are going to want to have selected 'fast alt/tab switching'
>from  'desktop' in your windows 'control panel' to be able to do anything
at all.  Read the 'help' screen while you are in control panel setting it
up for details. 

Estimates are that 90%+ of Windoze users don't know about this *essential*
Windows feature. 

Then when I'm in Netscape (my brouser), I just paste from the clipbook to
the clipboard and wheee! . . . away we go.  If they don't work, I try
again later, just to be sure the host wasn't just refusing connections at
the moment. 

For those of you condemned to UNIX shell accounts (no PPP, no www):  Have 
you heard of TIA? (simulates SLIP/PPP on UNIX shell accounts).  

Nice to see a few posts over here for a change!

-- 
W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                      VE6CFK
Rural Route One, Swalwell,  Alberta  Canada  T0M 1Y0
Phone/Fax: 403 546 2588      Email: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Collin Forbes)
Date: 8 Jan 1995 09:06:35 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:
: >  http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jlks/bee.html

: Can anyone tell me how to make the symbol between edu/ and jlks?
:  I've tried ommitting it, which doesn't work. 

It's what I (and many other people, I'm sure) call a "tilde."

It's ASCII 126 if that helps you (On a PC you can type alt-126 on the
keypad, on a *nix system you may be able to escape it using something
like "\$7E").

--
/'''  Collin Forbes
c oo  [email-masked] 
`` > 
 `'`  http://gopher.uidaho.edu/1/users/collinf/

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Hough)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 17:24:42 -0500

> finally release the Alt key.

You can "escape" special characters directly in the URL by using the percent
character, followed by the special character's hex value. This means that you
can get to the Beekeeping WWW page thusly:

http://weber.u.washington.edu/%7Ejlks/bee.html

Also, on my Mac keyboard, the tilde is in the top left corner, a "capital
backwards single quote" (the description makes sense if you are looking at
the keyboard!) The tilde is in the same spot on many PC keyboards.

****************************************************
* Rick Hough             * email: [email-masked] *
* TASC                   * Phone: (617) 942-2000   *
* 55 Walkers Brook Drive * FAX:   (617) 942-7100   *
* Reading, MA 01867      *                         *
****************************************************
SET DISCLAIMER ON
The above is my opinion. Similarity to anyone else's
opinion is pure coincidence.