Subject: CFV: sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera

From: [email-masked] (Ron "Asbestos" Dippold)
Date: 21 Sep 1994 18:19:44 -0400

FIRST CALL FOR VOTES (of 2)
               unmoderated group sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera

Newsgroups line:
sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera	Lepidoptera (Butterflies & Moths).

Votes must be received by 23:59:59 UTC, 14 October 1994.

After this CFV appears on news.announce.newgroups it will be sent to
the mailing list <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]> &
<[email-masked]>

This vote is being conducted by a neutral third party.  For voting
questions only contact [email-masked].  For questions about the
proposed group contact Christopher Majka <[email-masked]>

CHARTER

Preamble
-------- 

Sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera is an unmoderated newsgroup to provide
a forum for the discussion of all aspects of lepidoptera (butterflies
and moths) and topics pertaining to them both on an amateur and
professional level.

It is *not* intended as a forum for commercial transactions with
respect to lepidoptera.

Sphere of Interest
------------------

Sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera is dedicated to the observation, study,
history, art, photography, conservation, rearing, and responsible
collecting of butterflies and moths. It also welcomes discussions and
inquires which pertain to the ecology, behavior, systematics,
taxonomy, evolution and other spheres of the biology of
lepidoptera. Examples of the above might include:

* Observation: If you observe butterflies and moths, this group is a
place where you can share information on interesting sightings, and
find out about sites to visit and museum exhibits.

* Study: Whether you're a high school science student making a
presentation for your science class, an entomology graduate student
specializing in Lepidoptera, or a farmer or gardener concerned about
caterpillars eating your crops, sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera.can be
used as a resource for learning.

* History: The history of the study of lepidoptera includes many
interesting personalities, debates, books, theories, etc. If you are
interested in this sphere of the history of science, this forum can be
a place where you can share your knowledge and make inquires on topics
of interest.

* Art: Many cultures have an appreciation of the beauty of butterflies
and moths. If you have an interest in butterfly images in art, music,
or literature this is a place where you can discuss your interests.

* Photography: The photography of butterflies and moths is an area
which is growing more popular. If you have ideas or inquiries about
cameras, lenses, films and other photographic techniques as they
pertain to lepidoptera, sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera can be a forum
to discuss these.

* Conservation: Many species of butterflies and moths have become
threatened by habitat destruction. Conservation can include everything
>from  legislative efforts to the simple expedient of growing
caterpillar food plants in your garden. Discussions of conservation
policy are welcome.

* Rearing: Butterfly-gardening and caterpillar-rearing are are
becoming ever more popular. Sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera is a place
to learn rearing techniques from others involved in the practice.

* Responsible collecting: When made for educational or research
purposes, insect collections can have an important role. Collecting
sites and techniques can be discussed on this newsgroup. We encourage
participating collectors to obey wildlife regulations, to be aware of
which species in their areas are threatened or endangered, and to
avoid collecting on private property or in restricted areas without
prior permission.  Efforts to encourage trespassing or to subvert
conservation laws are emphatically NOT welcome on this newsgroup. All
participants are expected to respect the environment and the law.

Sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera is not intended as a forum for the
buying and selling of insect specimens nor as a venue for commercial
collectors to advertise their wares. Collectors who wish to do so
should communicate through private EMail.

* The Biology of Lepidoptera: while not intended as a substitute for
professional entomological journals, sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera
does encourage scientific discussions which deal with aspects of the
ecology, behavior, systematics, taxonomy, genetics, evolution and
other areas of lepidopteran biology. We hope that
sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera can be a place where amateur and
professional lepidopterists can rub electronic shoulders to their
mutual benefit.

* In order to facilitate access to this newsgroup to as broad an
Internet constituency as possible, arrangements are underway to
provide a gated mailing list for the group so that interested parties
who do not have Usenet access can also participate. It is our hope
that such a facility will also include archiving and indexing
capabilities.

* If participants are so inclined sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera may
develop FAQ's which address topics in different spheres of the study
of lepidoptera. Examples might include:

* Design of butterfly gardens and plants which attract lepidoptera.
* Techniques of collecting preparing, preserving and photographing lepidoptera.
* Suppliers of equipment related to the study of butterflies and moths.
* Lists of books and journals related to lepidoptera.
* Electronic resources (WWW & Gopher servers, FTP archives, Listservers, etc.) 
  related to the study of lepidoptera.
* Environmental and other regulations pertaining to the collecting of 
  lepidoptera.
* Information on the rearing of lepidoptera.

RATIONALE
---------

At present, there are no other newsgroups where discussion pertaining
to this topic can properly occur. The pre-existing entomology
Listervers, <[email-masked]> & <[email-masked]> are
general in their entomological interest and do not focus specifically
on lepidoptera. This Usenet group would be a natural outgrowth of the
recently established Lepidoptera Listserver <[email-masked]>.

Over the past few months there has been a considerable degree of
interest expressed by professional and amateur lepidopterists in
creating a forum for the discussion of all topics which pertain to the
study of lepidoptera (butterflies and moths). The consensus seems to
be that a Usenet Group would be the preferred vehicle of expressing
this interest. We, the proponents, issued a formal RFD in July and
have received an overwhelmingly positive response to it. Therefore we
are continuing the process and are calling a formal Call For Votes
(CFV) with respect to the creation of sci.bio.entomology.
lepidoptera.

HOW TO VOTE

Send MAIL to:   [email-masked]
Just Replying should work if you are not reading this on a mailing list.

Your mail message should contain one of the following statements:
      I vote YES on sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera
      I vote NO on sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera

You may also ABSTAIN in place of YES/NO - this will not affect the outcome.
Anything else may be rejected by the automatic vote counting program.  The
votetaker will respond to your received ballots with a personal acknowledge-
ment by mail - if you do not receive one within several days, try again.
It's your responsibility to make sure your vote is registered correctly.

One vote counted per person, no more than one per account. Addresses and
votes of all voters will be published in the final voting results list.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron "Asbestos" Dippold)
Date: 29 Sep 1994 23:16:46 -0400

LAST CALL FOR VOTES (of 2)
               unmoderated group sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera

Newsgroups line:

<[email-masked]>

CHARTER

Preamble
-------- 

Sphere of Interest
------------------

RATIONALE
---------

HOW TO VOTE

sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera Bounce List - No need to revote
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No bounced votes at this time

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron "Asbestos" Dippold)
Date: 19 Oct 1994 17:37:48 -0400

RESULT
    unmoderated group sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera passes 212:21

There were 212 YES votes and 21 NO votes, for a total of 233 valid votes.

For group passage, YES votes must be at least 2/3 of all valid (YES and NO)
votes.   There also must be at least 100 more YES votes than NO votes. 

There is a five day discussion period after these results are posted.  If no
serious allegations of voting irregularities are raised, the moderator of
news.announce.newgroups will create the group shortly thereafter.

Newsgroups line:

CHARTER

Preamble
-------- 

Sphere of Interest
------------------

RATIONALE
---------

sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera Final Vote Ack

Voted Yes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]                                                   
[email-masked]                                         Donald Frack
@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu:JMA@lal                  JULIO M. ARIAS, U. OF FLORIDA - CRE
[email-masked]                                              Peter Payzant
[email-masked]                                              Sheilagh Hunt
[email-masked]                                                Diane Moore
[email-masked]                                            Barbara Richman
[email-masked]                                     Carmichael, Alison G.
[email-masked]                                              Pierre A Plauzoles
[email-masked]                                         a.b.hedington
[email-masked]                                         
[email-masked]                                          Arno G. Weiss
[email-masked]                                                   David Ashley
[email-masked]                                              Barb Beck
[email-masked]                                        Benjamin Young
[email-masked]                                        Dr. Duncan Mackay
[email-masked]                                           Dan Birchall
[email-masked]                                              B Korbelik
[email-masked]                                              Brian L. Matthews
[email-masked]                                     Bruce M. Bowman
[email-masked]                                                  Mike Bonham
[email-masked]                                        Gary J Brewer
[email-masked]                                                               
[email-masked]                                  Bruce Vigneault
[email-masked]                                                C Peppiatt
[email-masked]                                               Charles A. Fox
[email-masked]                                              Cheryl A. Heinz
[email-masked]                                         Mark Camara
[email-masked]                                            Eric C. Carlson
[email-masked]                                              Mark Kupferman
[email-masked]                                          Gail J Celio
[email-masked]                                     George Chaniot
[email-masked]                                               John Clayton
[email-masked]                                                    Coin.Pat
[email-masked]                                        Courtney J Conway
[email-masked]                                                  
[email-masked]                                 Christopher Packard
[email-masked]                                      Matthew Crosby
[email-masked]                               Carl Strohmenger (HSC)
[email-masked]                                     Charles W. Boley
[email-masked]                                                   Peter Campbell
[email-masked]                                                          
[email-masked]                                                 David Slifka
[email-masked]                                          Dawn Holt
[email-masked]                                                 Diogo Figueiredo
[email-masked]                                            Douglas G. Pfeiffer
[email-masked]                                    Doug Scofield
[email-masked]                                                   Doozie.Snider
[email-masked]                                         David Wilbur
[email-masked]                                                      Sean Doyle
[email-masked]                                     Drasko Holcer
[email-masked]                                                 Dusan Rysula
[email-masked]                                           David M. Stone
[email-masked]                                  Richard L Wagner
[email-masked]                                        David Woerpel
[email-masked]                                          Gordon Edwards
[email-masked]                                            Erica Fleishman
[email-masked]                                                    Rick Ellis
[email-masked]                                              Eric J Olson
[email-masked]                                             Eugene N. Miya
[email-masked]                                 Ernest Williams
[email-masked]                                                   Emery Lapinski
[email-masked]                                                     
[email-masked]                                        Eric J. Forbis
[email-masked]                                                
[email-masked]                                                             
[email-masked]                                                    Fred Heath
[email-masked]                                                  T R Frillman
[email-masked]                                                          
[email-masked]                                              Gerardo Lamas
[email-masked]                                                 Greg Woodbury
[email-masked]                                              Dave Goulson
[email-masked]                                        Gaden Robinson
[email-masked]                                        George Winingder
[email-masked]                                              Lepi maniac
[email-masked]                                                          
[email-masked]                                              Henry M. Brodkin
[email-masked]                                          Henning Holtschneider
[email-masked]                              Hidetaka Mizohata 96
[email-masked]                                                   John Hoffman
[email-masked]                             Hristos Thomas Anastassiu
[email-masked]                                                      
[email-masked]                                                               
[email-masked]                                            James M. Sawers
[email-masked]                                   Johan Padding
[email-masked]                                             Jim Beck
[email-masked]                                        James Springer
[email-masked]                                    Janne Sinkkonen
[email-masked]                                      Alvaro Patricio Jaramillo
[email-masked]                                         Janne Henriksson
[email-masked]                         J.D. Almand DOAS Telcom
[email-masked]                                                                 
[email-masked]                                                     
[email-masked]                                                      Jim Sheldon
[email-masked]                                           Joella Killian
[email-masked]                                  Jonathan Parkinson
[email-masked]                         John Chandler [Contractor]
[email-masked]                                                
[email-masked]                                                           
[email-masked]                                      Dr. Yasha Karant
[email-masked]                                              Jim Keller
[email-masked]                                    Kevin Hodgkinson
[email-masked]                                               Charles D. Keyes
[email-masked]                                         Henry King
[email-masked]                                              Kjell Frick
[email-masked]                                    Jochen Kruip
[email-masked]                                          DOUG YANEGA
[email-masked]                                        Martin Schroeder
[email-masked]                                         Los Angeles Audubon
[email-masked]                                         Lachlan Cranswick
[email-masked]                                                       
[email-masked]                                      Larry Moorhead
[email-masked]                                       Laura Johnson
[email-masked]                                       Lou Bjostad
[email-masked]                                   Lawrence F. Gall
[email-masked]                                               
[email-masked]                                 Robert William Longair
[email-masked]                                        L. R. Holden
[email-masked]                                           
[email-masked]                                                 Marc Majka
[email-masked]                          Bullock, Margaret
[email-masked]                                                        
[email-masked]                                          David S. Christie
[email-masked]                                               M Barrera
[email-masked]                                       Michael Cytrynowicz
[email-masked]                                    Andrew McLachlan
[email-masked]                                       DENNIS M. MCNAIR
[email-masked]                                                    MGregory
[email-masked]                                                       
[email-masked]                                                   Michael Grubb
[email-masked]                                                Mike Hatz
[email-masked]                                        Mette H. H. Hansen
[email-masked]                                                     
[email-masked]                                  Michael Patra
[email-masked]                                            Mikhail Kozlov
[email-masked]                                    Richard Molay (CSC)
[email-masked]                                                         
[email-masked]                                      Mike Patterson
[email-masked]                             Michael Sattler, San Francisco
[email-masked]                                            MS GAYLE BENTON
[email-masked]                                    Chris Schmelzer
[email-masked]                                     NCRODR2
[email-masked]                                                     Nigel Allen
[email-masked]                                                              
[email-masked]                               Nicole Sabah Kissinger
[email-masked]                                                             
[email-masked]                                                    N. Rudd
[email-masked]                           Orville G. Marti
[email-masked]                                        Dixie Overton - DSB
[email-masked]                                              Oren C. Webster
[email-masked]                                      Trisha Klass
[email-masked]                                           Dr G A Cooke
[email-masked]                                      Peter McCarthy
[email-masked]                                  Patricia M Pritchard
[email-masked]                                                     P. Ford
[email-masked]                                              Rebecca Drayer
[email-masked]                                           Ralph D. Arnold
[email-masked]                                        Ahnya M Redman
[email-masked]                                                   Reichart
[email-masked]                                        Rella Abernathy
[email-masked]                                               Richard Epps
[email-masked]                                       Roland Limpert
[email-masked]                                                      Rob King
[email-masked]                                       Jeffrey Rufinus
[email-masked]                                                             
[email-masked]                                               Stuart Krasnoff
[email-masked]                                 Sharon S. Bramblett
[email-masked]                                                    Steve Lovely
[email-masked]                                                              
[email-masked]                                  Sean Buchanan (Bioc)
[email-masked]                                  High Octane Fuel
[email-masked]                                            Michelle D Johnson
[email-masked]                     Jim Shields, Lilly Research Labs
[email-masked]                                                        
[email-masked]                                                           
[email-masked]                                               simon mole
Snyder_John/[email-masked]                                                 
[email-masked]                                       Peuranen Seppo
[email-masked]                                      Julie K Stahlhut
[email-masked]                                             Rick Stahlhut
[email-masked]                                     Steve Goldstein
[email-masked]                                             Steve Kitton
[email-masked]                                  sherman jarred suter
[email-masked]                                        Stephen W. Schaeffer
[email-masked]                                           Aaron Morris
[email-masked]                              Tony Pittaway (Research Off.)
[email-masked]                                                     
[email-masked]                                            Thomas G. McWilliams
[email-masked]                                                     Ted Wong
[email-masked]                                             Tim Harvey
[email-masked]                                  Patricia Ann Tidwell
[email-masked]                                             Stuart Tingley
[email-masked]                                                   Tom Smith
[email-masked]                                       Thomas H. Slone
[email-masked]                                              Ulrich Forster
[email-masked]                                               Willem-Pier
[email-masked]                                     Meindert de Jong [^_^]
[email-masked]                                        Dick Vogt
[email-masked]                                                     
[email-masked]                                                            
[email-masked]                                            Charles M. Burnett
[email-masked]                                          Wendy Snetsinger
[email-masked]                                            Bill Morgan
[email-masked]                                                            
[email-masked]    College Bowl is like a good pasta salad: it takes we
[email-masked]                                     Andrew Carnegie Pedler
[email-masked]                     Dave Shariff Yadallee
[email-masked]                                                 Yngvar Berg
[email-masked]                                                           
[email-masked]                                  Marcio Zikan Cardoso
[email-masked]                                 David R Britton
[email-masked]                          Werner Heitland

Voted No
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]                                    GB:'X0B$4fAB92GB5
[email-masked]                                             Ananda M. Kar
[email-masked]                              Kenneth P Crouch
[email-masked]                                               Christopher Ward
[email-masked]                                        HILBURN Daniel J
[email-masked]                                               Dave Filippi
[email-masked]                                       William Affleck-Asch
[email-masked]                                  Sean P. Ryan
[email-masked]                                                John Lacey
[email-masked]                                                         
[email-masked]                                     John R. MacWilliamson
[email-masked]                                               Hasnain Khan
[email-masked]                              Hugh LaMaster -- RCS
[email-masked]                                              TAN MIN-HAN
[email-masked]                                          M Mike Taksar KC6ZPS
[email-masked]                                    Stephen Botha
[email-masked]                                           Ryan Waldron
[email-masked]                                             Richard H. Miller
[email-masked]                                        Thomas Bueschgens
[email-masked]                                              Brian Sommers
[email-masked]                                                      zcakkp6