Subject: Pumpkin pollination

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 1995 00:49:00 GMT

----------------------------------------
>From: "Patrick M O'Hearn" <[email-masked]>
>Date: 15 Jun 95 22:40:54 EDT
>Subject: Pumpkin pollination

>Hello Andy,

> 'Preciate the reply.  The pumpkins in question are part of a huge (I me
>an HUGE) Navajo agricultural project.  Its a small part of the largest
>single farm in the free world so, thats why they need so many
>hives...From the several replys I got, I know why these people are
>looking for a new pollinator, not enough money to make up for the lost
>honey flow.

  My friend decided not to do it after all. A quick question I have been
meaning to ask you...what the heck does "ttul" mean?<g>

>Patrick M. O'Hearn
>Aztec, NM

Hello Patrick,

     "TTUL" is bbs talk for "type to U later", or "talk to you
later".<G>

     As a rule the more a beekeeper charges for pollination the greater
the respect the farmer has when it comes to protecting the bee's from
un-natural disasters such as the loss of bee's from pesticides..

The problem and main reason pollination rentals are so cheep in much
of California except for spring Almond Pollination is that many
beekeepers don't have summer locations for their bees and need the
pollination sites for pollination. Much pollination of melons is going
on right now locally for $15., and these same beekeepers are feeding two
gallons of syrup only because they don't have summer locations. Others
are getting ten dollars more for alfalfa seed pollination as their bees
well be tied up longer and suffer grater from pesticides.

     If a beekeepers is lucky in the alfalfa he will make thirty pounds
or more honey, but he will also have to do some rebuilding to keep his
numbers up for next spring's pollination. Most of the time things work
out and the beekeeper does better then just trading dollars for bees,
but when it goes all bad the loss can be 100%. Thank God that is the
exception and not the rule.
                                ttul Andy-