Subject: Poly Hive REcommendations

From: [email-masked]
Date: 14 Nov 94 17:16:15 AST

Our teacher(s) run about 70 hives and keeprecommending hives made from some
sort of plastic (looks likepolystyrene but I think it's expanded
poly-propalene). The advantagesseem to be many - especialy for a cold & damp
climate like ours.
  
My dad has been the "high priest" of beekeeping in Anchorage, Alaska 
I used to produce his newsletter when I was living there. (I'm now in
Bethel).  
   
I will ask him.  He used to get a newsletter from Scotland so will be
interested.  I know he has used those frames but seems to prefer wasx.
Tim Miller

---

From: [email-masked] (Allen Dick 546-2588)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1994 15:51:22 GMT

: Our teacher(s) run about 70 hives and keeprecommending hives made from some
: sort of plastic (looks likepolystyrene but I think it's expanded
: poly-propalene). The advantagesseem to be many - especialy for a cold & damp
: climate like ours.
 
Actually there appear to be two ideas here now;

1. One is the idea of plastic hive bodies - of which I know little and

2. The idea of plastic frames and foundation.

Re the latter:

There are plastic frames made such that wax foundation is clamped between 
two halves and used just like a wooden frame. No wiring required. (Rating: 
good). I've had some for ten years or more.

There are plastic frames with plastic foundation which is sometimes 
sprayed with beeswax. (Rating: fair - the frames are too weak and flexible)

There are sheets of foundation made of wax with a sheet of plastic in the 
middle, like a sandwich with metal stiffeners on the ends (Duragilt 
(TM)from Dadant) (Rating: very good)

There are several brands of plastic foundation that include no wax and 
works as well or better than wax. (Rating: good to excellent)

Some are better than others.

None of the types of foundation require wiring and the plastic sheets 
just pop in and out of frames in a jiffy.  You can scrape them down and 
the bees rebuild - unlike Duragilt.  Commercials are using them and 
I have heard no complaints - but lots of raves.  Sources - Mann Lake and 
Dadant.

I will discuss further in more detail if interest is expressed.
-- 
W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                      VE6CFK
Rural Route One, Swalwell,  Alberta  Canada  T0M 1Y0
Phone/Fax: 403 546 2588      Email: [email-masked]