Subject: european brood disease.

From: [email-masked] (Adrian Graham DENT - Rodent)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1994 12:03:30 GMT

O.K.  I admit it.  I have a bee disease.  (fortunately, due to my mangement 
techniques it is limited to one hive).  I am just wondering, is multiple 
laying (i.e. two eggs in one cell)  a common symptom of EFB or is it 
possible that I also have a laying worker?
Another possibility I thought of is that the disease has been present for a 
while, and that it has only become aparent because the queen is getting  old 
and weak, which may also account for the laying pattern.   Apart from a few 
cells with two eggs (and patchy brood because it obviously dies) the laying 
pattern seems quite regular.
I would invite any comments.  
My brother wants to destroy the hive to keep our apiary totaly disease free, 
but, as EFB is (legaly) treatable, I am willing to try to keep it going.

Any comments sugestions etc, you know where to find me.  (post here or mail 
to me....whatever.)  
Adrian  ([email-masked] for those of you who DON'T know 
where to find me...)

---

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 12 Oct 1994 23:23:12 -0400

>Any comments sugestions etc, you know where to find me.  (post here or
mail 

   I haven't  seen any EFB this year. I used to have quite a bit of it.
   I believe the weakness is often genetic, so requeening with good stock
is a good idea. Also, it is a stress disease like chalkbrood.  I have seen
hives with both diseases, plus sacbrood, all at the same time. Last year I
sent in one sample that had EFB and tracheal mites. The lab also found
paralysis (a virus).  To me, this is all evidence of bees that are
generally weak. There may be a synergistic effect between mites and other
diseases as well.  
I recommend requeening as the most important curative step, also feeding
some syrup to help with general stress,  and treating with terra.