Subject: bbs'ing for Honey Data Ba

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 1995 00:23:00 GMT

----------------------------------------
mar 30, 1995

Hello Bee Person's!

1st, I must congratulate all who have made the effort to retrieve
the NHB data base file on bees, honey, etc.. Some have failed,
don't give up. If you have an interest in keeping bee's, the
science of it all, or just would like to have information on
honey bee's but don't know who to ask, this data base may be your
key to better things. There is nothing like it and the cost is
no more then the time you will spend on line downloading it. It
is worth every nickel, in my opinion, after 40+ years experience
working, wondering, and worrying about my own bee's. I have noted
some shall we say "intimidation" on the part of new bbs callers, and I
sometimes forget how it feels the first time, on line with a new system,
that is until I think about the internet. Well bbs'ing is not like
fishing on the internet, but can be frustrating when you don't have the
right bait or communications programs, or the right set up for bbs's
which are different from calling a commercial dial up system or the
internet.

My suggestion is that you should know that NO harm is done to Wild
Bee's if you just unplug your computer, modem, or phone,.. when all else
fails, and I fault no one who does. My Sainted Grandmother would often
say something to the effect to me when I passed wind. And after all is
that not what most of us really do with modems, "It is far better to
pull the plug and bare the shame, then not to, and bare the pain of a
inflated telephone bill." Well maybe it was something a little different
than that, it was a long time ago. She was the same Grandmother who told
me always to put on clean shorts, just in case I got hit by a trolley
crossing the street and had to go to the horsepitel for treatment...

IS THERE LIFE OTHER THEN INTER-NETTING?

Or how to get what I want (HON-BIBL.EXE) for as little time, money
or effort from Wild Bee's BBS.

foreword:

   There are ten's of thousands dial up bbs's, Wild Bee's bbs is one
of 30,000 bulletin boards that use the Wild Cat Program, and that is
only one of the dozen or more bulletin board programs available.
Millions of call's every day are made to dial up bbs. Wild Bee's had
600 different caller's last year, and many thousands of calls, we
will exceed that this year several times.

   Most Wild Cat bbs's can be connected to the internet by dial up
uucp programs that allow the sysop to download and upload messages to
and from internet newsgroups and e-mail. They are not for the most part
fully connected to the internet and most can not telenet or be
telenetted...you have to dial them up on your nickel.

   When you do, you should use a communications program that supports
bbs-ansi, but other protocols will work, ansi is best. You must set your
modem to 8N1, which is different then some of the services like
CompuServe. A 14.4 modem is preferred, but a 2400 bd modem will work,
just takes a lot longer to do anything. Wild Bee's supports modem
speeds to 28.8 bd.

   All bbs's require some sort of registration to insure some security
for the system's operator, after all you are to be a guest in my home
even if only a image in cypher space. The questioners are almost
standard, and many real bbs'ers use hot keys to fill them out. You will
find Wild Bee's new user questioner will take you between 1-3 minutes
to fill out depending on how fast you can read and type..the questions
are not meant to be personal, we do ask for your Mother's maiden name so
if you forget your password we know it is you who is asking. We do not
pass on the names of users who's mother's maiden names are the same as
their own last name. We are old enough to believe in virgin birth, but
believe it is rare anyway, but in this case you need not ask for your
passward if you forget it. We also ask you age, sex, address, and phone
umber. These are only questions to help the sysop better know who is
using their board. You would be asked the same questions and more to use
the big pay services, so we don't think its a great inconvenience to be
required to fill out a questioner to use a *free* service for Beekeepers
& Friends of Beekeepers.

All answers to questions are for the use of Wild Bee's and are not
shared with others.

   Assuming you got past the questioner, you will wade through 4 or
5 art and informational screens, then you will get to the MAIN menu
if you did not give up and drop carrier. If you make it this far then
all you have to do is select option [2], (two) to download the file:

                HON-BIBL.EXE  the data base from the National Honey
Board with a shareware reader. The file itself is self-extracting and
you do not need any other tools to get to the working AUTO READ program
with the data base installed. The Auto Read program itself is contained
in a pkzip file that you may or may not want to look at. It is not
necessary to run the HONEY-94 BIBLIOGRAPHY, as we already set it up
for you to use. If you want to find out more about Auto Read you will
need to extract the zipped file with the proper pkzip tools available on
most bbs's. We included it as a courtesy to the shareware author who
wrote the Auto Read program since we are using his program to read the
honey data base, you may have better ideas on how to use this file. The
original database we got from the NHB was for a Windows program.

   If you get to the bbs and get a bad connections or just get lost
please feel free to drop carrier, and call back and try again. If you
can get past the questioner once, you will not have to do it again and
can call back using a * in front of your name and bypass the art screens
to save time.

    Last hope is that others will find this effort of value and put
the file on other systems for downloading, this will take a few days
or weeks, and if all else fails I can freq the file to you via internet
e-mail as a file attachment that you will have to de-code. I really
don't want to do this as it takes me 3 min on-line time with my internet
provider and costs about 60 cents per file. I will do it for those who
request it to add to their systems.

    I do believe that this file is worth the effort, and if it is
successful we hope to do another data base soon just on HONEY RECIPES
if and when we receive the original data bases from the NHB.

                        ttul Andy-

(c)Permission to reproduce, granted.
Opinions are not necessarily facts.