Subject: Alkaline Hornets

From: [email-masked] (Drew Scherz)
Date: 12 Sep 1994 20:14:12 GMT

I had a beekeeper eradicate a bunch of what I thought were bees from the
wall of my house today.  He said they were alkaline hornets.  I didn't get
to talk to him very long (over the phone) and I was wondering just what in
the heck alkaline hornets were.  Any info would be appreciated.

--Drew Scherz,
  Austin, Texas

---

From: [email-masked] (tyr)
Date: 19 Sep 1994 03:24:21 GMT

Drew Scherz ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I had a beekeeper eradicate a bunch of what I thought were bees from the
: wall of my house today.  He said they were alkaline hornets.  I didn't get
: to talk to him very long (over the phone) and I was wondering just what in
: the heck alkaline hornets were.  Any info would be appreciated.

: --Drew Scherz,
:   Austin, Texas

There is a ground dwelling (usually) bee called an alkalai bee that lives
in the western states, they have been used as commercial pollinators in
agriculture there.

Sometimes the distinction blurs between bees and hornets in localities.

We've got a local fly here on the west coast that requires a second look
to make sure it's not a honeybee, makes an interesting mimic, it lacks
the pollen hairs on the legs and the stinger but the rest is the same.

regards
Dave