Subject: Ear Mites?

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: 21 Nov 1994 13:02:22 GMT

From: Gerry Rising <[email-masked]>
Organization: University at Buffalo
Subject:      Hive Mold Problem

A friend here in Buffalo who keeps a few hives lost all of his bees last
winter to what he believes were ear mites. He did not use the hives this
year and now he has a different problem. They are covered -- inside -- with
a white mold.
 
Can anyone give me some guidance about how to rid this hive (a) of the mold
and (b) of any possible remaining mites. (I assume that the latter left with
the bees, but there may be some related problem that requires a particular
kind of cleaning.)
 
Guy is a beginning beekeeper (and I am even less knowledgeable) so any help
you can give us will be very much appreciated.
 
I guess I have missed asking one more thing. How can he prevent or at least
lessen the chance of reinfection of his hive?
 
Thanks in advance for any help.
-----------------------------------------------
Gerry Rising                    [email-masked]
295 Robinhill Drive     [email-masked]
Williamsville, NY 14221-1639            716-689-8301
-----------------------------------------------

-- 
 _________________________________________________________________________
  Adam Finkelstein    [email-masked] | (awaiting my muse...)
 ___________________________________________|_____________________________

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Athey - AA4WE)
Date: 23 Nov 1994 06:11:07 GMT

>Subject:      Hive Mold Problem

I don't know about the mold, I think I would use a new hive. Anyway,
once the hive is set up again if the problem is with vorroa mites try 
using Apistan Strips.  These strips work for me in Florida and we 
really have mite problems if not treated.

Bill 
[email-masked]