Subject: Beekeeping on the Internet

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: 7 Dec 1994 17:10:12 GMT

After a quick tour of the net, looking at beekeeping information,
I want you all to know that if you need beekeeping information and cannot
find it on the internet, please let me know. 

 Also check the latest faq. Soon this will be archived and available
in news.answers, and sci.answers. Now it is available here, and at
sunsite.unc.edu, and hopefully at _other_ spots.

Your humble sting addled servant,
Adam
-- 
____________________________________________________________________________ 
Adam Finkelstein                     Price Hall 
Entomology                   VA Tech, Blacksburg, VA  24001-0325 
[email-masked] ______________________________________________________

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: 9 Dec 1994 00:37:45 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Dan Buchsbaum  <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Hi from warm and balmy Houston, Tx!
>I am nearing the end of my first year of beekeeping and am wondering if I 
>should dare to overide a decision my bees have made.  One of my two hives 
>has bees who insist on plugging up their ventilation hole.  

 If this hole is the one bored in the top box, then I'd let 'em fill it in.
This technique was designed for bees overwintering in the North.
Bees are really good at ventilating themselves. 
Anyone else?
Adam

---

From: Dan Buchsbaum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 14:25:42 -600 (CST)

Hi from warm and balmy Houston, Tx!
I am nearing the end of my first year of beekeeping and am wondering if I 
should dare to overide a decision my bees have made.  One of my two hives 
has bees who insist on plugging up their ventilation hole.  Every time I 
clean it out, they fill it back up.  Should I be bullied by my bees on 
this decision, or make like I'm the boss (ha! what a joke) and keep it 
cleaned out.  Let me know if I'm leaving out info you need to know to 
answer this.
Chow for now......................................Cynthia

---

From: [email-masked] (Ben Torkington)
Date: 12 Dec 1994 15:37:27 GMT

Dan Buchsbaum ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Hi from warm and balmy Houston, Tx!
: I am nearing the end of my first year of beekeeping and am wondering if I 
: should dare to overide a decision my bees have made.  One of my two hives 
: has bees who insist on plugging up their ventilation hole.  Every time I 
: clean it out, they fill it back up.  Should I be bullied by my bees on 
: this decision, or make like I'm the boss (ha! what a joke) and keep it 
: cleaned out.  Let me know if I'm leaving out info you need to know to 
: answer this.
: Chow for now......................................Cynthia

--
Well, sadly, you are never the boss of your bees, you can 'persuade' them 
not to do things (ie. Swarm :-) but if they have to it's up to them.  If 
the hive entrance is wide enough then I wouldn't worry about the 
ventilation hole at all.
Good Luck.
Regards..Ben

       \\||//
         oo
+-----w--\/--w---------------------------------------------------+
|  Ben Torkington                               [email-masked]  |
|                                                                |
|      "I'm sorry...I farted in the church." -King Missile       |
+----------------------------------------------------------------+