Subject: Feb. 95 'Buzz' - Iowa Beekeepers Newsletter

From: [email-masked] (Terry Dahms)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 09:56:56

Submitted by: Terry Dahms, Pres.
       East Central Iowa Beekeepers Assoc.
       internet: [email-masked]
       ------------------------------------------------------------------
                  THE BUZZ                     FEBRUARY, 1995
       ------------------------------------------------------------------
       A newsletter published monthly as a cooperative effort by The Iowa
       Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship and The Iowa  Honey 
       Producers  Association  (IHPA),  an affiliate member of  the  Iowa
       Horticultural Society.   Copy deadline is the 20th of each  month. 
       Your  ideas,  comments  and letters are welcomed  and  encouraged. 
       EDITOR:   Bob  Cox,  State Apiarist,  Iowa Dept.  of  Agriculture,
       Wallace Building,  Des Monies, IA.   50319 Phone:  (515) 281-5736. 
       IHPA  MEMBERSHIP:   Membership dues in the  Iowa  Honey  Producers
       Assn. are $5.00/year.  Send to Gordon Powell, IHPA Treasurer.
       ------------------------------------------------------------------
       STATE APIARIST REPORT
          It  was great today (1/31/95) to see all the bees out taking  a
       cleansing  flight,  although I'm sure winter is not over yet.   My
       colonies  seem  to have plenty of honey but some of  the  clusters
       were  small.   I checked a few bees for tracheal mite and did  not
       find any.  
          How are your bees doing?  When we have some of these mid-winter
       thaw days,  its a good idea to check on the bees to see how  their
       winter stores are holding up and if there is any life in the hive.
          There  were many interesting and important issues discussed  at
       the  national meetings in January.  Everyone is waiting for  price
       relief from the anti-dumping suit.   Things seem to be going well,
       but  the first major decision won't be made until March or May  by
       the International Trade Commission.   The suit itself turns out to
       be  somewhat  controversial amoung various segments of  the  honey
       industry.   Some  producer-packers find themselves caught  in  the
       middle with both sides soliciting money to fight each other.
          The  Varroa and tracheal mites really took a toll on  the  bees
       this  past season.   The primary symptom has been sick  and  dying
       brood that looks sort of like foulbrood and sac brood combined and
       has been named "Bee Parasitic Mite Syndrone or BPMS".   Scientists
       studying  it  have  found  that it is  not  American  or  European
       foulbrood.   They suspect that several viruses are  involved,  but
       the  bees usually have these viruses.   One theory says  that  the
       injury  to the bee's body caused by Varroa may be  what  activates
       the  latent  viruses.    The  Beltsville  Bee  Lab  has  put  five
       scientists  to  work on solving this puzzle and coming up  with  a
       remedy.
          At  the Apiary Inspectors of America meeting last month,  there
       was much talk about the changing role of bee inspectors.   Changes
       suggested  were  that  more emphasis be  given  to  education  and
       diagnosis of diseases, parasites and any other colony problems and
       less emphasis on "police"  type activities.   That's a great idea,
       however,  in most states the law would have to be changed to allow
       for that kind of service to be offered by the state apiarist.  The
       Nova  Scotia Department of Agriculture is changing the title  from
       "bee  inspector"  to "bee health advisor".   What  does  the  Iowa
       beekeeping industry want?
          Sign up for a beekeeping class in Des Moines,  Cedar Rapids  or
       St. Paul, Minnesota this spring. You'll be glad you did!
       AMATEUR BEEKEEPERS WANTED
          The  Indian  Creek  Nature Center near Cedar  Rapids,  Iowa  is
       seeking people interested in producing honey on their land.
          The  Center  will  sponsor a beekeeping class  that  will  meet
       several  times  during  1995.    It  will  be  taught  by  veteran
       beekeepers Russ Swenson and Bob Wolfe.
          "This  class  is  designed for people  who  are  interested  in
       tending  their  own hives or have a strong interest  in  bees  and
       honey," said Swenson.
          In  addition  to  beekeeping  techniques,  students  will  have
       several  opportunities  to  work hives under  the  supervision  of
       Swenson  and  Wolfe  and pool money to  purchase  equipment  at  a
       discount.
          The  first  meeting  of the class  will  take  place  Saturday,
       February  18  at 2:00 p.m.  Class registration is $10  for  Nature
       Center  members  and  $20 for nonmembers.   For  information  call
       362-0664.

       BEEKEEPING CLASS TO BE OFFERED IN DES MOINES
            Starting on Tuesday,  March 7, 1995 a beekeeping class will be
       offered  by the Iowa Department of Agriculture in cooperation  with
       Polk  county ISU Extension service.  It will be held every  Tuesday
       night for 8 weeks at the Des Moines Botanical Center.  This will be
       an  in-depth class covering a variety of topics on  beekeeping  for
       fun and profit.  Each class session will last from 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
            The  class will include hands-on experience in  beekeeping  in
       the classroom and during field trips.  Those interested in starting
       with  bees,  novice  beekeepers and  seasoned  beekeepers  are  all
       welcome to participate.
            Pre-registration   is   required  by  February  27th   and   a
       registration  fee  will  be charged.  For more  information  and  a
       registration form contact Bob Cox, State Apiarist,  Iowa Department
       of Agriculture,  Wallace Building, Des Moines, Iowa 50319 telephone
       (515) 281-5736 or FAX 242-5015

                       BEE NUTTY CHOCO-CHIP COOKIES - NHB

       1/2  cup honey                  1/2  cup peanut butter
       1/2  cup butter or margarine    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
       1    egg                        1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
       2    cups flour
       1/2  teaspoon each baking soda and salt
       1    cup (6 oz.) chocolate morsels
       1/2  cup coarsely chopped roasted peanuts

       Combine  honey,  peanut butter,  butter and brown sugar  in  large
       bowl;  beat  until  light and fluffy.  Add egg  and  vanilla;  mix
       thoroughly.  Combine flour,  soda and salt;  mix well.  Stir  into
       peanut mixture.  Stir in chocolate morsels and peanuts.  Using 1/4
       cup  for each cookie,  drop onto ungreased cookie  sheet;  flatten
       slightly.  Bake  at  350 degrees 8-10  minutes  or  until  lightly
       browned. Remove to rack and cool. Makes 16 (3 inch) cookies.

       TERRAMYCIN USE IN EXTENDER PATTIES by Malcolm T. Sanford
          There  continues  to  be  a  good  deal  of  discussion   about
       Terramycin  use  in bee colonies.  This is  especially  true  with
       reference  to  vegetable  oil  "extender  patties."    Dr.   Kieth
       Delaplane  at  the University of Georgia recently  co-authored  an
       article with Dr. Fernando Lozano, who works for Pfizer, Inc.,  the
       manufacturer   of  Terramycin.    The  article   entitled   "Using
       Terramycin in Honey Bee Colonies," American Bee Journal, Vol. 134,
       No. 4, April 1994, pp 259-261, emphasizes several points:
          1.  Terramycin is the only medication approved  for  preventing
       and controlling American and European foulbrood.
          2.  Pfizer,  Inc.,  makes three formulations for bees:  TM-50D,
       TM-100D, and TM-25, also known as Terramycin Soluble Powder (TSP).
          3.  TM-50D contains 50 grams of active ingredient per pound and
       TM-100D  contains  100 grams of active ingredient  per  pound  and
       TM-25  contains 25 grams of active ingredients per pound,  but  is
       packaged  in  6.4 ounce foil packs,  each containing 10  grams  of
       active ingredient.
          4.  At  least  three bee supply  companies  reformulate  Pfizer
       Terramycin products into medications under different brand names.
          5.  Not all Terramycin products are safe for bees;  only  those
       that have labels for honey bees should and can legally be used.
          6.  The product most readily available in small  quantities  --
       TSP  or  TM-25 -- has a label which creates  confusion.   It  uses
       "impractically  small  units (teaspoons and ounces),"  contains  a
       reference  to TM-10 (a cancelled product) and has no  instructions
       for mixing antibiotic extender patties.
          7.  Extender patties allow Terramycin to be delivered for up to
       several  weeks  with only one trip to the bee hive.   The  oil  in
       extender patties has also been shown to deter tracheal mites.
          The  original idea of extender patties comes from work  by  Dr.
       Bill  Wilson and colleagues entitled "Antibiotic  Treatments  That
       Last Longer," American Bee Journal, September, 1970, pp.  348-351.
       The recipe in that article,  thought to be the best in most cases,
       has been published many times, including the July 1992 APIS. It is
       1/3 pound Crisco, 2/3 pound granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons of TSP
       or TM-25,  yielding two patties.  Later,  Dr.  Wilson found that a
       patty half as large was satisfactory and would last six weeks.
          The  article by Drs.  Delaplane and Lozano has recipes for  all
       Pfizer  products formulated as dust, syrup and patties.   The  TSP
       "dosage guide" for extender patties is as follows:
       ------------------------------------------------------------------
       No. of 6.4 oz.    Lbs. vegetable    powdered    Colonies treated
       packets TSP         shortening       sugar     1 lb. patty/colony

          1                   4.6            9.1             14
          2                   9.1           18.2             28
          3                  13.7           27.4             42
          4                  18.2           36.5             56
          5                  22.8           45.6             70
       ------------------------------------------------------------------
          The  authors state that the TSP,  powdered sugar and  vegetable
       shortening should be mixed together and each colony be fed a patty
       on the top bars.   (Editors note: Many beekeepers use a 1/2  pound
       patty  of  this  same  mix and also  use  granulated  rather  than
       powdered sugar.)  They also urge removal of any remaining material
       at  least  four  weeks before the honey flow and  that  any  honey
       stored  while patties are on a colony must not be used  for  human
       consumption.   Finally, they state that extender patties require a
       higher  dosage  of  medication per colony (up  to  800  mg  active
       ingredient)  to provide adequate active ingredient  levels.   This
       means  that fewer colonies can be treated with the same amount  of
       of active ingredient using the extender patty method.
       (taken   in  part  from  APIS,   Florida  Extension's   Beekeeping
       newsletter)
          Several studies have shown that use of Extender patties,  on  a
       continual  basis  year  round,   will  keep  down  tracheal   mite
       populations in colonies.   These "grease patties"  cannot  contain
       Terramycin shortly before and during surplus honey production.

                               CALENDAR OF EVENTS

       FEBRUARY
       27        Registration deadline for SRPING BEEKEEPING CLASS in 
                 Des Moines

       MARCH
       4         IHPA Board Meeting 1:00 p.m. at Barn Restaurant in Amana.

       11        Missouri  State Beekeepers Spring Meeting  in  Columbia,
                 MO. For more details contact Larry Hensley 314-355-6935

       13        Eastcentral  Iowa Beekeepers Assn. Meeting 7:00  p.m.  at
                 Montgomery Hall, Johnson County Fairgrounds, Iowa City.

       19        Central  Iowa  Beekeepers  Assn.   Meeting.    5:30  p.m.
                 Buffet    dinner.    6:30  p.m.   Meeting  (Election   of
                 Officers).     Royal Cafe in Huxley.   DIRECTIONS:   Take
                 Hwy. 210 exit   from I-35 and   go west to U.S. Hwy.  69. 
                 Go north to   Huxley one mile,  then through town to  the
                 shopping   center on the east side of the highway.

       25        Southwest Wisconsin Honey Producers Meeting in Kieler,
                 WI. For more details contact Metz Honey at 608-568-7601

                            CARAMEL CORN - Zada Glew

       2     tablespoons butter         3/4 cup brown sugar
       1/3   cup Honey                  8   cups popped popcorn

       Heat butter,  brown sugar and honey in a small saucepan on  medium
       heat  until bubbling along the sides.   Pour mixture  over  popped
       popcorn, stir thoroughly and let cool.

       HONEY BOARD EXHIBITS U.S. HONEY IN MIDDLE EAST
          United  States honey and honey products were displayed  by  the
       National  Honey  Board in the Fifth Annual Gulf Food  &  Equipment
       Exhibit  (known as GULFOOD'95) held Jan.  15-18,  1995  in  Dubai,
       United Arab Emirates.   GULFOOD'95 is acknowledged as the  premier
       Middle  East  international  food  trade  exhibition.    Over  300
       exhibitors from all sectors of the food industry were expected  to
       participate  and  the show was expected to draw over  5,000  trade
       visitors from around the world.
          The Middle East region is one of the fastest growing markets in
       the  world  and  is  almost totally  dependent  on  food  imports. 
       GULFOOD'95  is timed to coincide with the peak  purchasing  period
       for the Middle East food market.
          For the past several years, the Honey Board has participated in
       one or more international food shows.   Honey exporters (those who
       chose to be included in the Honey Board's 1992 Exporters Directory
       as  well as exporters who have had contact with the Board  in  the
       interim)  are  notified of upcoming shows and invited  to  display
       their U.S. honey products.  As of the December 9th deadline, seven
       exporters had agreed to participate in GULFOOD'95.
          If you are interested in displaying your U.S.  honey and  honey
       products in future international trade shows, contact Linda Hampel
       at the National Honey Board office, (303) 776-2337 ext. 20.

                                HONEY OF A VERSE

         He (Jonathan) put forth the end of the rod that was in his hand,
       and dipped it in an HONEYCOMB, and put his hand to his mouth;  and
       his eyes were enlightened.(I Samuel 14:27b)

       DID YOU KNOW THAT...
             Eliza  Gallup  of  Osage,   Iowa  received  attention  as  a
       beekeeper  soon after the Civil War by writing regularly  for  the
       American  Bee Journal.  He wrote on introducing Italian queens  in
       1866, but his contributions covered the entire field of beekeeping
       operations.  He attended the First American Beekeepers  Convention
       held at Cleveland, Ohio in March 1860 and was elected treasurer of
       the organization.   G.M.  Doolittle,  called the "father of  queen
       rearing,"  was  one  of  Gallup's early  pupils.   He  taught  the
       importance of the queen in good beekeeping. (from "History of Iowa
       Beekeeping" by Prof. F.B. Paddock)

       FOR SALE:   100 colonies in good condition with '94 queens.   Will
       sell  all or part.   Contact:  Bill Eickholt,  412  Sherman  Ave.,
       Cherokee, IA 51012  (712) 225-5207.

       FOR  SALE:   Italian Bee Packages with Queen.  Two  pound  $24.00,
       Three  pound  $28.00.   Queens $7.00.   All shipped  with  Apistan
       strips.   To be picked up April 6.   Call Douglas Child in Aurora,
       Iowa at (319) 634-3682.

       JOB  OPENING:  Research  technician. B.S.  degree  and  beekeeping
       experience  required and lab experience is a plus.   The  position
       can  be  filled at a higher level for a qualified  person  with  a
       masters degree.   Contact:   Dr. Thomas Webster,  Atwood  Research
       Facility,  Kentucky State University, Frankfort,  KY 40601  phone:
       (502) 227-6351.

       FOR SALE:  Bee Culture/ABJ collection 1965-1994.   500+ magazines.
       Many  complete years in good,  clean,  organized condition.   Some
       collector's items.  Was $295 in the making, asking $75.  Call ph.#
       (515) 253-0525.

           QUOTABLE QUOTE

       Isn't it funny
       How a bear likes honey?

        (Alan Alexander Milne)

       ENTRY PERMITS
          If  you plan to transport a load of packages or  colonies  into
       the  state this spring,  you need to request an entry permit  from
       the  state  apiarist's  office.   A permit  is  not  required  for
       packages or queens entering the state via the U.S. Postal Service.
          The  reason  for  the permit is to make sure  the  packages  or
       colonies  are  treated for the Varroa mite and  free  of  American
       foulbrood disease.   It is unfair to sell bees that become sick or
       die soon after purchase.
          Contact Bob Cox,  State Apiarist as soon as possible to  obtain
       an  entry permit.   Phone (515) 281-5736 or FAX 242-5736  at  Iowa
       Department of Agriculture, Wallace State Office Bldg., Des Moines,
       IA 50319.