Subject: B.Mail 11/94

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: 2 Nov 1994 15:38:07 GMT

====================================================
 
B.MAIL
 
A monthly newsletter on issues and events in the bee world, provided
by IBRA, the world information service for bee science and beekeeping.
 
November 1994
 
====================================================
 
Welcome again to B.mail.
 
A brief note for those of you who are seeing this column for the first
time.  B.mail will announce meetings (mostly international or otherwise
major ones) and new publications that are of interest to scientists and
beekeepers, as well as reporting current events and discussing topics
that are relevant at the moment. What B.mail is NOT is another bulletin
board, for people to chat and air their views.  It is simply a reference
point, with sources of further information identified for those who want
to know more.
 
That's our statement of purpose: and don't worry, you won't see it
here every month.
 
RESISTANT VARROA?
 
This edition looks at the issue of mite resistance to acaricides,
especially varroa's reported resistance to fluvalinate.  Those of you
who follow only the English language literature might not be aware of
the wealth of discussion on this issue, some informed and some, well,
not so informed.  The issue was first thoroughly aired in Italy, where
after some years of varroa treatment with fluvalinate a decrease in
efficacy was noted.  (Some of the reports talk about treatment with,
and resistance to, Apistan.  Most of the treatment was with home-
made remedies such as plywood strips soaked in an agricultural
preparation of fluvalinate, and of course any resistance is to the
chemical and not a product).
 
The beekeeping press in Europe has discussed this issue a lot, with
headlines ranging from the strident ('Resistances a l'Apistan? Danger!!')
to the pensive ('Resistenza della varroa all'Apistan...ma siamo propio
sicuri?').
 
Probably the first report in English on this is 'Possible presence of
fluvalinate-resistant strains of varroa in northern Italy' by Norberto
Milani in the  publication 'New perspectives on varroa', fresh off the
presses at IBRA (see below).  Dr Milani tells me that he will be
publishing a fuller research paper in English soon.
 
GAINING NEW PERSPECTIVES
 
In eastern Europe, the former Soviet-bloc countries, varroa has been a
fact of beekeeping life for more than 25 years. The barriers which kept
us from sharing in this experience have now gone, and we can learn
>from  colleagues in that part of the world much more easily.  With
funding from a European Commission programme IBRA organized a
specialist workshop on varroa research, involving about 40 scientists
>from  countries in eastern and central Europe, the European Union and
other parts of western Europe.
 
The results of this workshop are now out. New perspectives on varroa
will bring readers up to date with what's happening in European varroa
research and beekeeping practice, with contributions from 18
countries.
 
Four review papers look at interactions between varroa and pathogens,
breeding honey bees tolerant of varroa, control methods actually and
potentially in use, and the impact of this parasite on beekeeping.
 
Twenty-five technical articles are organized into five sections: varroa
biology, honey bee susceptibility, chemical control, other control
methods, and the issues that varroa poses for beekeeping.  There are
also reports from discussion groups on current concerns and plans for
future research.
 
Many topics important for the future of varroa and beekeeping are
under discussion in Europe. Breeding resistant bees, the role of
secondary pathogens, non-chemical control, using plant oils and heat
treatment against varroa; problems with fluvalinate resistance;
developing new chemical controls - are all covered in this volume.
 
SYMPOSIUM: 'WORLD TRADE IN BEES AND BEE PRODUCTS'
 
There are at present exciting developments in the trade of bee products
and bees. The concern of honey producers in some countries about
cheap imports, the growth in international trade in live bees, and the
effects of the recent Gatt round are matters of interest for beekeepers
everywhere.
 
To promote informed debate about these issues IBRA is organizing a
symposium at the 34th international apicultural congress in Lausanne,
Switzerland. 'World trade in bees and bee products' will take place as
part of the congress programme, on Wednesday 16 August 1995.
 
Invited speakers from all around the world will present up-to-date
information and views on current and likely future patterns in
international trade in honey, beeswax, other bee products and live
bees.  There will be the opportunity for contributed poster
presentations.
 
SIXTH IBRA CONFERENCE ON TROPICAL BEES: MANAGEMENT AND
DIVERSITY
 
13-19 August 1996, San Jose Costa Rica
 
The next conference in IBRA's series on bees and apiculture in tropical
climates is being organized by IBRA and hosted by the Universidad
Nacional Costa Rica. A range of interesting and topical themes is being
selected for conference sessions, and the first announcement with
these details will be available at the beginning of 1995.
 
Contact: Sixth IBRA Conference on Tropical Bees, 18 North Road,
Cardiff CF1 3DY, UK.
 
MORE ON TROPICAL BEES AND BEEKEEPING
 
The papers presented at the last IBRA conference on tropical apiculture
(Trinidad and Tobago, 1992) are available in the conference
proceedings.  These contributions come from a wide range of
backgrounds and are a valuable source of information on beekeeping in
the tropical and subtropical regions of the world.
 
There are sessions on honey bee management, Africanized honey bees,
stingless bees, honey bees and the environment, the biology and
behaviour of tropical bees, and bee parasites, pests and diseases.
 
ONE MORE MEETING
 
A meeting with a difference, a British institution in fact.  The national
honey show attracts entries from all over the UK, as well as Ireland and
a few from further afield (like the Caribbean).  Apart from the show and
judging there is a sizeable trade exhibition and a lecture programme
over the three days of the event.
 
After a few peripatetic years the honey show has found a home in the
new Kensington Town Hall in London, and a fixed date in late
November (this year Thursday 24 - Saturday 26).  If you're in the area
at the time call in!
 
THAT'S IT
 
Send your news to us; we can't guarantee to use it, but it will help to
keep this spot topical.  (Our contacts are listed at the end of this
newsletter).
 
Andrew Matheson
Director
 
Return address:
E.mail: [email-masked]
Fax: (+44) 1222-665522
Telephone: (+44) 1222-372409
Snailmail: 18 North Road, Cardiff CF1 3DY, UK

-- 
 _________________________________________________________________________
  Adam Finkelstein    [email-masked] | [email-masked]
 ___________________________________________|_____________________________