Subject: sci.agriculture.beekeeping FAQ

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: 20 Feb 1995 22:00:27 GMT

Archive-name: beekeeping-faq
Posting-Frequency: monthly
Last-modified:1995/02/20

 This FAQ tries to list and point to all informational resources on the
internet for beekeepers and apiculturists. A great old beekeeping cliche
is:  "there are about as many ways to keep bees as there are beekeepers."
Therefore rather than list and then answer the myriad beekeeping, bee
culture, and apicultural questions in a cumbersome document, specific
internet resources are listed in this FAQ so that you may find your own
answers, like a true beekeeper!
 If you are unable to utilize any of these resources, please don't
 hesitate to contact me or post to sci.agriculture.beekeeping. As a last
resort, you could even mail the listserv, bee-l, but *please* be sure to
include a return address in your letter, and to realize that your question
will go to *** all *** the list subscribers. Explicit instructions on
listserv use and bee-l are included in this FAQ. Please read them before
mailing anything to bee-l. You can always ask somebody.  Asking really
works!

 I'm working on an internet archive for beekeeping. Once this is done,
(I'll let you know...) you may mail me with information, comments, hints,
stories, FAQ ANSWERS, and they will become archived in an easily
accessible way, via ftp, gopher, and www. I have already received some
really nice beekeeping files. Thank you, you know who you are and you
deserve praise!

****** POINTERS TO APICULTURAL INFORMATION ON THE INTERNET ******

USENET news
 * sci.agriculture.beekeeping   Beekeeping, bee-culture and
hive products.

Listserv:
* BEE-L
  BEE-L is for the discussion of research and information
  concerning the biology of bees.  This includes honey bees
  and other bees (and maybe even wasps).  We communicate about
  sociobiology, behavior, ecology, adaptation/evolution,
  genetics, taxonomy, physiology, pollination, and flower
  nectar and pollen production of bees.

To subscribe to BEE-L, send e-mail to [email-masked]
with one line in the body of your message:
SUBSCRIBE BEE-L <put your real name here>

To get help on how to run the listserver, send e-mail to
[email-masked] with one line
in the body of your message:
HELP

To send a message to all current BEE-L subscribers, mail it to
[email-masked].

(FOR DETAILED LISTSERV INSTRUCTIONS, READ BEE-L SECTION AT END OF FAQ)

* Beekeeping Home Page (WWW)
   http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jlks/bee.html

* _Apis_ Magazine archive (WWW)
   http://gnv.ifas.ufl.edu:7999/~entweb/apis/apis.html

* Entomology World Wide-Web Server at Colorado State University
    http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/Entomology/ent.html

* Entomology World Wide-Web Server at Iowa State University
    http://www.public.iastate.edu/~entomology/

* sun1.oardc.ohio-state.edu anonymous ftp, gopher

* sunsite.unc.edu   anonymous ftp, gopher, telnet 

anonymous ftp:
ftp sunsite.unc.edu
cd pub/academic/agriculture/sustainable_agriculture
cd sunsite-Sustainable-Agriculture/beekeeping

gopher:
gopher sunsite.unc.edu

go to:
The Worlds of sunsite
Sustainable Agriculture Information
beekeeping
(it's in there, the archive is huge!)

* ftp.ucdavis.edu   
anonymous ftp:
ftp ftp.ucdavis.edu
 /pub/extension/4h-youth/bee-keeping

* Beekeeping FAQ's from beenet.com

How to USE:

Internet E-Mail a message addressed to:  [email-masked]
on subject line put the name of FAQ   :  HONEY ADULTERATION

Thats all, you are welcome to add a message.<G> Mail runs are
6am & 6pm. Problems, post to [email-masked] ..

  FAQ                                           Last update   10-20-94
  name                                                * NEW or UPDATED
_________
HINT.IND        THIS INDEX                                         *
B-FILE.LST      33k Text file of All Beekeeping Files from       11/1
		Wild Bee's BBS. See WB-FILE.ZIP for INFO>
WB-FILE.ZIP     9k Beekeeping Files Wild Bee's BBS                9/28
yellow.jacket   How to get rid of them! Adrian Wenner             8/94
argentin.ant    Argentine Ant Control   Adrian Wenner             8/94
ambee.fed       Info-Joining American Beekeeping Federation
apimon95.txt    Info- APIMONDIA 1995 Meeting
mead.lst        How to join the Mead list mail
bee-l.faq       How to find Bee Info on Internet, Bee-L FAQ's++   9/10
import.relief   Letter to Congress, William J. Clinton (1994)
usda-bee.lab    Address & Info on Sending Dead bee samples (1992)
formic.txt      Warning on use of Formic Acid by beekeepers (1992)
propolis        Jerry Bronenshenk on PROPOLIS (1993)
4-H.txt         4-H joins the Internet (1993)
FSHEET11        INFORMATION US BEEKEEPING
HINT.101        SOURCES OF BEEKEEPING INFORMATION
HINT.102        HONEY AND ITS USES
HINT.103        HONEY ADULTERATION
HINT.104        FLORIDA BEE INSPECTION
HINT.105        FLORIDA BEARS AND BEEKEEPING
HINT.106        HONEY HOUSE SANITATION
HINT.107        FLORIDA HONEY LABELING REGULATIONS
HINT.108        PRODUCING SECTION (COMB) HONEY
HINT.109        EXHIBITING HONEY
HINT.110        SAMPLE POLLINATION AGREEMENT
HINT.111        SOLAR BEESWAX RENDERING AND HINTS FOR EXHIBITING WAX BLOCKS
HINT.112        EXTENSION APICULTURAL VISUAL AIDS
HINT.113        USING HONEY IN LARGE-QUANTITY RECIPES
HINT.115        GOOD NEIGHBOR GUIDELINES AND ORDINANCES
HINT.116        CHALKBROOD RECOMMENDATIONS
HINT.117        HONEY MARKETING SURVEY
HINT.118        PRODUCING POLLEN
HINT.119        FINANCIAL MANGEMENT FOR BEEKEEPERS
HINT.120        UPWARD VENTILATION
HINT.121        WAX MOTH CONTROL
HINT.122        BEE STINGS AND REACTIONS
HINT.123        EXTENSION APICULTURE IN FLORIDA
HINT.124        FINANCIAL STATEMENTS AND RATIOS FOR BEEKEEPING OPERATIONS
HINT.125        PRESERVING WOODENWARE IN BEEKEEPING OPERATIONS
HINT.126        THE VALUE OF POLLINATION BY HONEY BEES
HINT.127        THE VARROA BEE MITE
HINT.128        INFANT BOTULISM AND HONEY
HINT.129        HONEY JUDGING AND STANDARDS
HINT.130        USING THE HONEY REFRACTOMETER
HINT.131        OBSERVATION BEE HIVES

All HINT's courtesy of Malcolm T. Sanford, Cooperative Extension Service
University of Florida, Gainesville, Fl Internet address:[email-masked]
beenet.com is a Information Service for Beekeepers & Friends, operated by
Andy Nachbaur from the Wild Bee's BBS, 209-826-8107, Los Banos, Calif.

* Remote File Retriver from beenet.com

HOW IT WORKS: Mail addressed to <[email-masked]> will be read by
wcARCHIE. When wcARCHIE locates this new mail, it will retrieve the text
from the SUBJECT LINE of the message. wcARCHIE will search the entire
Wildcat! file database for a file with a name that matches the text.
wcARCHIE will also search the \WCARCHIE directory for this file. If a file
is located, it will be sent as a message file attachment to the original
sender. If the subject line contains the word HELP, a help message will be
sent. If the subject line contains the word FILES, a list of available
files will be sent.

* Honey Hotline                       NHB Food Technology Program
  1 -800-356-5941                     P.O. Box 281525
  415-340-3568  (FAX)              San Franscisco, CA 94128-1525 USA

* National Honey Board
  421 21 st, suite 203,
  Longmont, CO  80501 USA
  303-776-2337

* The American Apitherapy Society,Inc.
 P.O. Box 124, Woodsville, NH 03785
  603-747-2507 (Voice & Fax)

 *International Bee Research Association 
  18 North Rd
  Cardiff CF1 3DY, UK
  F: (+44) 1222 665 522
  V: (+44) 1222 372 409 (24 hrs)
  email: [email-masked]
  Now putting out "B-Mail" a monthly newsletter available on the newsgroup
  or the listserver, soon to be archived.

 * Mead list:

   Send ONLY articles for the digest to [email-masked].

   Use [email-masked] for [un]subscribe/admin requests.
   When subscribing, please include name and email address in body of
   message.  Digest archives and FAQ are available for anonymous ftp at:

   ftp.stanford.edu in pub/clubs/homebrew/mead.

* The Mead Association
  P.O. Box 4666
  Grand Junction, CO 81502
  1-800-693-MEAD
  outside US 303-442-9111 

* Mead Makers Page (WWW)

  http://www.atd.ucar.edu/rdp/gfc/mead/mead.html

* Mead book list: for a good list of books on mead mail:
  [email-masked] (ask for book list).

***** Online Beekeeping Reference Sources ******

* Malcolm Roe is pleased to answer British beekeeping questions such as:
how to get started, the addresses of local associations and equipment
suppliers, where to get some bees, legal questions, etc.
 email  [email-masked]

* _The Hewitt Apicultural Collection_ 
gopher: <  gopher.uconn.edu > Select Libraries and Research
Services. Then Edward H Kirschbaum Library (Waterbury Campus).
Lastly, Hewitt Apicultural Collection. 
Sheila A. Lafferty, librarian/archivist at UCONN handles this great
resource.
Write her for a bibliography, or questions. email  [email-masked]

* B-EYE   bee eye simulator
WWW pages that offer to "see the world through the eyes of a bee."
http://cvs.anu.edu.au/andy/
Andy Giger
email  [email-masked]

***** Specialists *****

 * Dr. Rick Fell, Apiculture/Entomology professor and researcher at VA Tech
is available for questions, comments and queries.         
email  [email-masked]

 * Dr. Adrian Wenner, Biology professor and researcher at UCAL SB has
available information on Yellow Jacket Control.
email [email-masked] 

 * Diana Sammataro, bee researcher, author, is available for Tracheal mite
questions and tracheal mite information.
email  [email-masked]

 * Jim Dixon has information on Yellow Jacket Control.
email [email-masked]

 * Sharon J. Collman, W.S.U. Cooperative Extension, also has Yellow Jacket
control information.
email [email-masked]

* For historical bee lore questions (bees knees), and bee lore info
write Warner Granade, Librarian at UVa.
email [email-masked]

* Pollen Information, including pollen production and pollen usage is 
available from Rob Bidleman.
email [email-masked] 

* Paul Cheng will be coordinating the Bee sting/venom/allergy FAQ.
email him with your information/input.
email [email-masked]

* For free information on observation hives
email [email-masked]    ask for _Observation Hive How-To

* BOMBUS
 A mailing list dedicated to Bumblebees.
 To subscribe, send a message to [email-masked].
 To send a message to everyone on the list, mail it to
 [email-masked].
 The Bombus list is maintained by Chris Plowright
 ([email-masked])

What is BEE-L?
Charter:
BEE-L is for the discussion of research and information
concerning the biology of bees.  This includes honey bees
and other bees (and maybe even wasps).  We communicate about
sociobiology, behavior, ecology, adaptation/evolution,
genetics, taxonomy, physiology, pollination, and flower
nectar and pollen production of bees.
On the technical side:
BEE-L is a computerized e-mail list. All e-mail sent to the BEE-L
address is duplicated and mailed to all the current subscribers on the
list. The listserver (the computer that runs the list) maintains a log
(archive) of all messages, and list members may request a copy of
the log. The archive has a separate file for each month, and these
files are currently saved for about a year. To access the listserve
computer itself (i.e. to subscribe to or unsubscribe from BEE-L, to
request a log file, etc.), send e-mail to the listserver address. Don't
send control messages to the BEE-L address, because the message
will just be sent to everyone on the list, and the computer will not do
what you wanted it to do. Note that most control messages contain
the list name (BEE-L) somewhere in the command, as the listserve
computer generally runs many lists at any given time.
 
How do I post a message to BEE-L?
If you are on the Internet, send an e-mail message to
[email-masked] If you are on BitNet, address your e-mail to
[email-masked]  Any message received at these addresses
will be duplicated and mailed to everyone currently subscribed to
the BEE-L list.
 
How do I subscribe to, or unsubscribe from BEE-L?
Send mail to the listserve computer (from the Internet the address is
[email-masked]  from BitNet, the address is
[email-masked]  To SUBSCRIBE, the body of your
message  must contain the line:
SUBSCRIBE BEE-L <your full name>
You may abbreviate SUBSCRIBE with SUB. Be sure to substitute your
real name for the <your full name> placeholder. You do not need
quotes or any other delimiters surrounding your name. The listserve
computer will determine your address from the "From:" header in
your message. To UNSUBSCRIBE, the body of your message must
contain the line:
SIGNOFF BEE-L
You may substitute either UNSUBSCRIBE or UNSUB for the SIGNOFF in
this command to remove your subscription to the list If your address
has changed since you subscribed, this command will fail - write to
YOUR local POSTMAST/POSTMASTER/POSTMSTR id for assistance.  If
that fails, then write to OWNER-BEE-L     @<listnode> for assistance.
If that fails, then write one of the following (these are typical addresses
that should be forwarded to a person who can answer your question):
POSTMASTER@<listnode>
POSTMAST@<listnode>
POSTMSTR@<listnode>
Note: <listnode> = ALBNYVM1.BITNET if you are on BitNet.
<listnode> = uacsc2.albany.edu  if you are on Internet).

To avoid this problem, UNSUBSCRIBE from  BEE-L before you move to
a new e-mail address, and then  resubscribe from your new address.
 
How do I get help using the listserver?
Send a message to the listserver, with the one word HELP in the body
of the message.  Address the message to [email-masked] if
you  are on BitNet, or address it to [email-masked] if you
are  on the Internet. The listserver will mail a help document back to
you.  Sending the message INFO ? will cause the listserver to mail
you a  list of additional help documents that are available. These
additional  documents are requested by sending the message INFO
<topic> (be  sure to substitute the desired document name for <topic>)

-Aknowledgments

I would like to thank the following individuals:

Jon Gefael who taught me and who is almost always right
Pete Thorsen who is a walking man page
Rick Hough for his FAQ contributions, and gentle way
My school, VA Tech, for giving me an account
Dr. Rick Fell, for making me think
My old friend Jayne who bears with me even to this day
My children for their beauty
and to beekeepers worldwide
 
Copyright (c) 1995 by Adam Finkelstein, all rights reserved.
This FAQ may not be distributed for financial gain.
This FAQ may not be included in commercial collections or compilations
without express permission from the author.
-- 
______________________________________
Adam Finkelstein 
[email-masked]