Subject: HELP! HELP!

From: [email-masked] (Paul Lam)
Date: 17 Dec 1994 04:42:51 GMT

To all newsgroup users:

I am currently writing a research paper about communication and foraging 
behavior of the honeybee ( more specificly Apis mellifera and dorsata).  
The main topic is very familiar to you guys, but totally incomprehensible 
for an outsider like me:  DANCE LANGUAGE vs ODOR SEARCH.  In your 
experience, do you find that the bee dance is more important than the use 
of odors for food searching, or vice versa?  I have read a lot of 
articles, and found that a lot of the results contradict each other.  I'm 
really stuck, so any comment will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
 |~~~\     /| |     | |
 |___/   /  | |     | |
 |     /----| |     | |
 |   /      |  \___/  |____

---

From: Lou Bjostad <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Dec 1994 20:56:13 GMT

[email-masked] (Paul Lam) wrote:
> behavior of the honeybee...I have read a lot of 
> articles, and found that a lot of the results contradict each other.

Not surprising!  There has been a long-standing disagreement on this issue.
Take a look at the following (but use caution-- Wenner is on the "odor" 
side of the disagreement, and von Frisch on the "dance" side):

AUTHOR(s):       Wenner, Adrian M.
TITLE(s):        Anatomy of a controversy :  the question of a "language"
                   among bees /  Adrian M. Wenner, Patrick H. Wells.
                 New York :  Columbia University Press,  1990.