Subject: Supers and wax moths

From: [email-masked] (Allen Dick 546-2588)
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 1994 16:35:21 GMT

Super is a Latin word meaning 'above' or 'over'.  Hence a super is placed 
above the brood chamber(s).  Supers usually have light coloured comb and 
may have wider frame spacing than is acceptable in a brood chamber.  They 
are sometimes isolated from the active egg laying area by an excluder - a 
screen which is a liitle too tight for a queen or drone to pass through, 
but which allows the workers to pass (some say) unimpeded.

If you don't have much equipment, wax moths can be stopped by ensuring 
the combs in question are exposed to lots of fresh air.  Wax moth larvae 
can't make it in a dry well ventillated environment.  They exist in 
stuffy supers and brood chambers, or in cracks.

Don't throw out damaged combs.  If the wax moth have merely laced them 
with frass and cocoons, but there is a lot of comb left, just put them 
into the middle of a hive one by one or a super at the beginning of the 
flow, and they will be renewed pronto.
-- 
W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper
Rural Route One, Swalwell,  Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Phone/Fax: 403 546 2588      Email: [email-masked]