Subject: RFD: sci.bio.entomology.misc

From: [email-masked] (Maarten van Helden)
Date: 7 Mar 1995 15:36:40 -0500

REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION

This is a formal request for discussion (RFD) for the creation of a
newsgroup on general entomology and related issues.  All discussion
of the proposed new group should take place in the news.groups Usenet
newsgroup.  Interested parties unable to read news.groups should
contact the principal proponent, Maarten van Helden.

Unmoderated group sci.bio.entomology.misc

Newsgroup line:
sci.bio.entomology.misc		General entomology and related issues.

Proposer: Maarten van Helden <[email-masked]>
Co-proposers:
	Yvan Rahbe <[email-masked]>
	Lou Bjostad <[email-masked]>
	Rod Crawford <[email-masked]>
	Peter Rauch <[email-masked]>
	Christopher Majka <[email-masked]>
Mentor: Ed Bailey <[email-masked]>

This RFD is being issued in concordance with the guidelines set in
the "How to create a new usenet newsgroup" FAQ regularly posted to
news.announce.newgroups. Please refer to this article if you have any
questions about newsgroup creation.

This is not a call for votes.  Please do not vote now.

CHARTER:

Discussion, news, and queries concerning the study of insects and other
(non-marine) arthropods not covered in more specialised newsgroups.
The newsgroup is meant to cover a wide variety of entomological topics,
including postings about arachnology, myriapodology and other studies
with affinities to entomology.

Sci.bio.entomology.misc is *NOT* intended as a forum for the buying
and selling of insect specimens nor for the advertising of commercial
products and services. However, it is permissible to use the newsgroup
to post brief comments with pointers to addresses where readers can
obtain information about such products. All participants are expected
to respect the environment and the law. Efforts to encourage trespassing
or to subvert conservation laws are *NOT* welcome on this newsgroup.

Communication will be welcomed from all those interested in entomology,
including serious amateurs as well as professionals and students, since
these groups have much to contribute to one another and are in need of
better communication channels.  We hope that through interest and
involvement by participants, documents of Frequently Asked Questions
(FAQs) will in time be developed on many topics of interest to
participants and the general public.

Though intended mainly for communication among entomologists, some
queries from the general public are to be expected; those which can
be answered will be answered politely.

RATIONALE:

Entomology (the study of insects) is the focus of numerous organizations
and people, both professional and amateur, all over the world.
Entomology is a highly diversified field in which most workers, however
specialised their research, retain an interest in other entomological
topics.  It is also one of the few scientific fields in which amateurs
can still make important contributions.

The sci.bio.entomology.misc newsgroup is intended for all general
entomological postings.  There are also some specialised newsgroups
(e.g. sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera) and entomological listservers.
The charter of sci.bio.entomology.misc includes consideration that
existing or future non-newsgroups/lists dedicated to entomological
topics may be gated to/from a suitable sci.bio.entomology subgroup.

Since sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera passed its vote just a few months
ago, there is a pre-existing sci.bio.entomology hierarchy.  "Big 7"
standards require that the general discussion groups for hierarchies
end with .misc, so sci.bio.entomology.misc is the recommended group
name.  The proponents sympathize with those who would prefer a shorter
name, e.g. sci.bio.entomology.

The newsgroup should be unmoderated, since the subject matter of
entomology is not highly contentious in any event, and the mandate
of the newsgroup as presented in the charter is sufficiently
encompassing that moderation was not deemed necessary. We would
like to encourage wide participation in the newsgroup. It is unlikely
that inappropriate postings will be a serious problem.

If sufficient interest and volume of traffic should develop on one
taxon (e.g. Coleoptera, bees, etc.) or subfield (e.g. economic
entomology), there is provision within the sci.bio.entomology.*
structure for further newsgroup creation to accommodate more
specialized interests.  Creation of such additional newsgroups would
not change the mandate of sci.bio.entomology.misc but would merely
allow the creation of additional forums for more detailed discussions
among students of certain insect taxa or subject areas.

PROCEDURE:

Please post any responses to this message to news.groups.  If you
use the followup feature on your newsreader, this should happen
automatically but please double-check anyway.  All discussion about
the merits of this proposal should occur on news.groups.

Unless the discussion indicates a need to resubmit a new RFD, a call
for votes (CFV) will be posted approximately four weeks after the
posting of this RFD.  Please do not post any votes.  When the CFV is
posted, instructions will be given on how to mail your votes to the
independent vote counter.

DISTRIBUTION:

This RFD will be posted to news.announce.newgroups and then
cross-posted to the following:

    news.groups, sci.agriculture.beekeeping, sci.bio, sci.bio.ecology,
    sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera, sci.bio.ethology

It is also being sent to these mailing lists:

    [email-masked]
    [email-masked]
    [email-masked]
    [email-masked]
    [email-masked]

When Call For Votes (CFV) is issued, it will also be cross-posted in
these groups and mailing lists.

A copy of this RFD can also be found via WWW at:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/Entomology/sbemrfd.html
gopher://yuma.ACNS.ColoState.EDU:70/00/ON/ACADEMIC/AGSCI/ENTOMOLO/sbemrfd.txt

and on Gopher at Colorado State University (yuma.acns.colostate.edu)
under menus as follows:

On Campus> Academic> College of Agric. Sci.> Entomology> sbemrfd.txt

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Bonine)
Date: 12 May 1995 16:35:36 -0400

RESULT
           unmoderated group sci.bio.entomology.misc passes 342:14

There were 342 YES votes and 14 NO votes, for a total of 356 valid votes.
There were 5 abstains and 7 invalid ballots.

For group passage, YES votes must be at least 2/3 of all valid (YES and NO)
votes.   There also must be at least 100 more YES votes than NO votes.

There is a five day discussion period after these results are posted.  If no
serious allegations of voting irregularities are raised, the moderator of
news.announce.newgroups will create the group shortly thereafter.

Newsgroups line:

Voting closed at 23:59:59 UTC, 10 May 1995.

This vote was conducted by a neutral third party.  For voting questions
only contact Steve Bonine <[email-masked]>.  For questions about the proposed
group contact Maarten van Helden <[email-masked]>.

Co-proposers:

CHARTER

sci.bio.entomology.misc Final Vote Ack

Voted Yes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]                                D. Buckle or S. North
@Vines2.WAU.NL:Marieta=[email-masked]                      marieta braks
[email-masked]                                        Richard  Hansen
[email-masked]                                              Sheilagh Hunt
[email-masked]                                          ALBERTO BROCE
[email-masked]                                         Adam Finkelstein
[email-masked]                              adriaan vermunt
[email-masked]                                              Pierre A Plauzoles
[email-masked]                                          William D. Sumlin
[email-masked]                                         G. B. Edwards
[email-masked]                                  Bruce E. Hibbard
[email-masked]                                          Adele Hensley
[email-masked]                                                    Alex Kagdis
[email-masked]                                           Barlow, Allen
[email-masked]                                       Karl Altenburg
[email-masked]                             Alessandra Muccinelli
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                         Szito, Andras (Entomology)
[email-masked]                                      Andrew Norton
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                       Alyce Spires
[email-masked]                                   ## Marie-Anne Auger ##
[email-masked]                                       Sylvie Augustin
[email-masked]                                          Berhan Ahmed
[email-masked]                                     Nancy Baumeister
[email-masked]                                              Adalbert Goertz
[email-masked]                                          Edward Beary
[email-masked]                                           madeleine beekman
[email-masked]                                              BELA NAGY
[email-masked]                                        Bodo Hasso Dietz
[email-masked]                                          Bryan Bishop
[email-masked]                                                 B.J. Herbison
[email-masked]                             Gregory Michael Blake
[email-masked]                                          Brian Korbelik
[email-masked]                              Benjamin Martin Waggoner
[email-masked]                                           Chris Boake
[email-masked]                                                    Brad Hubley
[email-masked]                                     Denis Brothers
[email-masked]                                             Barbara A Sumlin
[email-masked]                                               Bart Vanholder
[email-masked]                                     Catherine R. Allen
[email-masked]                                                  Guffey Cary A
[email-masked]                                             Cheryl Ann Heinz
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                              Mike Caprio
[email-masked]                                                Gary Noonan
[email-masked]                                  Everett D. Cashatt
[email-masked]                                    caralisa breidenbaugh
[email-masked]                                        F. Jacot Guillarmod
[email-masked]                                                        CesarAP
[email-masked]                            Chuck Fox (777-8241)
[email-masked]                                               John Clayton
[email-masked]                                     Colin Cracknell
[email-masked]                                Sharon J. Collman
[email-masked]                              connie doodeman
[email-masked]                                      D. Casey Sclar
[email-masked]                                     Carol Witham
[email-masked]                                          Michael Soderlund
[email-masked]                                             Don Ewart
[email-masked]                                               Daniel Heald
[email-masked]                                                Dave Alexander
[email-masked]                                             Dan Rothschild
[email-masked]                                              David Holdom
[email-masked]                                         Miguel Angel Miranda
[email-masked]                                          Don Barry
[email-masked]                                               David Taylor
[email-masked]                                                 Diogo Figueiredo
[email-masked]                                           Bernard Delobel
[email-masked]                   =?iso-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9?= Delplanque
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                       Dennis Frey
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                  dick diederik
[email-masked]                                             David W Inglis
[email-masked]                                                     David Kohls
[email-masked]                                             Glenn McLeod
[email-masked]                                          Doug Scofield
[email-masked]                                Daniel Oppenheimer
[email-masked]                                                      Sean Doyle
[email-masked]                                   Peter D Norquist
[email-masked]                                                 Dusan Rysula
[email-masked]                                   DONALD A. SNITGEN
[email-masked]                                            Zenat Vakili
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                               David Voegtlin
[email-masked]                                        Doug Yanega
[email-masked]                               CAMPBELL ROBERT
[email-masked]                                                Jane Eason
[email-masked]                                   EN-CHANG YANG
[email-masked]                                  eddy dijkstra
[email-masked]                                                 Lynnette
[email-masked]                                            Erica Fleishman
[email-masked]                                            Rudi Eggers
[email-masked]                                             Edward G. Riley
[email-masked]                                                  Earl
[email-masked]                       IST. ENTOMOLOGIA AGRARIA UNIV. BARI
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                       Eric Engelhard
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                               DR ANDY EVANS, SAC EDINBURGH
[email-masked]                                         Flor Ceballo
[email-masked]    THE MOON IS FULL AND THE SILVERWOLF IS HOWLING...
[email-masked]                                              Gerard Febvay
[email-masked]                                      Fermin Martin Piera
[email-masked]                           Fernando Dos Santos
[email-masked]                                       Murray Fletcher
[email-masked]                                        Vincent FOURCASSIE
[email-masked]                                                   Urs Fraenzel
[email-masked]                           frans van alebeek
[email-masked]                                       Frans Janssens
[email-masked]                                                    Fred Heath
[email-masked]                                            Fred Stephen
[email-masked]                                         MR ROBERT C HEINEY
[email-masked]                                Andy McClelland
[email-masked]                                         Greville H. Bowles
[email-masked]                                       Peter Gillespie
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                        Eugene Powell
[email-masked]                           Greg Pommen
[email-masked]                                             jean gruneberg
[email-masked]                                              Lepi maniac
[email-masked]                                                 Stephen Halford
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                          James Harvey
[email-masked]                                             Ian Harvey
[email-masked]                                           Kim Hastings
[email-masked]                                      Hassan Alayedh
[email-masked]                                               mark metz
[email-masked]                                      Hubert Charles
[email-masked]                                         Heinrich Arn
[email-masked]                               Herb Eichenseer
[email-masked]                                                Etienne
[email-masked]                                    Herve JACTEL
[email-masked]                                           Raymond L Hix
[email-masked]                                      Hans Loechelt
[email-masked]                              Hidetaka Mizohata 96
[email-masked]                                                  HENRIQUE
[email-masked]                                                   Harold Slater
[email-masked]                                  Hans-Ulrich THOMAS
[email-masked]                               martin j coghlan iii
[email-masked]                                      Gerry Rising
[email-masked]                                       Irene Shonle
[email-masked]                                             Mark Isaak
[email-masked]                                                       R.M.K.
[email-masked]                                          John French
[email-masked]                    jacqueline geervliet
[email-masked]                                                      James Lynn
[email-masked]                                          Jonathan Rees
[email-masked]                                             J. Austin
[email-masked]                             Johannes W. Busch
[email-masked]                                              Joseph Cooper
[email-masked]                                       J. Chris Pires
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                     J.D. Almand
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                                    J.D.Weintraub
[email-masked]                               jean-yves rasplus
[email-masked]                                                Jeff Millstein
[email-masked]                                           js314
[email-masked]                                                       Jens Weibull
[email-masked]                                                Janice Fallin
[email-masked]                                            John Ford
[email-masked]                                   Jim Graham
[email-masked]                                            John Keltner
[email-masked]                                           Joella Killian
[email-masked]                        jocelijn meijerink
[email-masked]                                      johan calis
[email-masked]                                       John Epler
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                         Van Schagen, John ext. 3759
[email-masked]                                                           Jonboy
[email-masked]                           joop van lenteren
[email-masked]                                   joop van loon
[email-masked]                                        Sudish Joseph
[email-masked]                                                 John Raymond
[email-masked]                                                joan spielholz
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                               Laure Kaiser
[email-masked]                                          Karl H. Thunes
[email-masked]                            kees groenendijk
[email-masked]                                      Keiichi Nagata
[email-masked]                                        Kenneth M. Fry
[email-masked]                                              Mike Killoran
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                     Anne Kruppa (GLY)
[email-masked]                                           James Kruse
[email-masked]                                         Lachlan Cranswick
[email-masked]                                        LISA LAMBERT
[email-masked]                                        Laurent Lapchin
[email-masked]                             Lawrence Kirkendall
[email-masked]                                       Lou Bjostad
[email-masked]                                             Dangsheng Liang
[email-masked]                                            lei hong
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                       Edward A. Lisowski
[email-masked]                                  Martin Schroeder
[email-masked]                                       Larry of the Flies
[email-masked]                                             Luis A. Rodriguez
[email-masked]                                      Luciano Mannucci
[email-masked]                                               Louis Pribyl
[email-masked]                         maarten van helden
[email-masked]                                    Ian MacRae
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                              Serge.Mallet
[email-masked]                                  M.C. Andrade
[email-masked]                                    marcel dicke
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                               marnix van meer
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                     Mary Lee Ward
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                         Emanuele MAZZONI
[email-masked]                                   Matthew Carroll
[email-masked]                                  MC GLYNN  TERRENCE PETER
[email-masked]                                       Brian McLain
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                                   Hokh'Ton
[email-masked]                                      Mark DuBois
[email-masked]                        menno schilthuizen
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                  Ralph Michels
[email-masked]                                          Ray Miller
[email-masked]                                        Matt Yoder
[email-masked]                                       Malcolm Keeping
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                   Ahmad B Mohammad
[email-masked]                                                   Keith Moore
[email-masked]                                             Terry Morse
[email-masked]                  =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Morten_St=E6rkeby?=
[email-masked]                                 David Maurice
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                        Miriam Richards
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                                     Nigel Allen
[email-masked]                                     Dawn Nelson
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                          Norman F. Johnson
[email-masked]                                   NGUYEN PHUC  BAO TAN
[email-masked]                               Nicole Sabah Kissinger
[email-masked]                                         David Richman
[email-masked]                                             Jaren Horsley
[email-masked]                                                Owen Lewis
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                        olga krips
[email-masked]                                          Orville G. Marti
[email-masked]                                           Mr P A Cook
[email-masked]                                      Prempeh.Fiscian
[email-masked]                             Andrew J. Davis
[email-masked]                                  Richard Packauskas
[email-masked]                                             P.G.Davis
[email-masked]                                  Paul Watson
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                      Dave Pehling
[email-masked]                                                  NAME
[email-masked]                                         Peter Rauch
[email-masked]                                              Peter Fraissinet
[email-masked]                                              Phillip Schappert
[email-masked]                                           Sylvain Piry
[email-masked]                                       Patt Kasa
[email-masked]                                                          INIA
[email-masked]                                Cheryl Podemski
[email-masked]                                                Pete Bastien
[email-masked]                                'Burke Zool.' C. Wood
[email-masked]                                              Rebecca Drayer
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                                  Yvan Rahbe
[email-masked]                                           Ray Pupedis
[email-masked]                                      Roger Barton
[email-masked]                                              Richard Hill
[email-masked]                                                Todd Reichardt
[email-masked]                                            Roy Ellis
[email-masked]                                     Roger Lewis Gage
[email-masked]                                  Inhale Vehicular Rot
[email-masked]                                           RICK.FAGLEY
[email-masked]                                        Rosalind James
[email-masked]                                                      Rob King
[email-masked]                               Emery, Rob (Entomology)
[email-masked]                                           Tel 2430
[email-masked]                                        Robin Crewe
[email-masked]                                    roel potting
[email-masked]                                                  Roy Neeve
[email-masked]                                                  Ray Sanders
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                                         mark
[email-masked]                                                        S.Bianco
[email-masked]                                                  Samuel Sun
[email-masked]                  Marie =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=E9l=E8ne?= Sauge
[email-masked]                                                 Saul Frommer
[email-masked]                                 Michelle Schwengel
[email-masked]                                           Scott, Eric
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                      Christine Silvy
[email-masked]                                              Fraser R. Sime
[email-masked]                                            steve taylor
[email-masked]                         Ronald J. Skleney 312.444.5515
[email-masked]                                              Scott Line
Snyder_John/[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                                  Soren Nylin
[email-masked]                                sophien kamoun
[email-masked]                                                02V40CHQ
[email-masked]                                Dr. Stefan Schulz
[email-masked]                             Stephen Gaimari
[email-masked]                                                   Steve Schutz
[email-masked]                                         Dr. James E. Sublette
[email-masked]                                      Susan P Whitney
[email-masked]                                    Sabina Swift
[email-masked]                                        Stuart Wilson
[email-masked]                                  S. William Schulz
[email-masked]                         telnet accountschristina craft
[email-masked]                                     Thomas W. Culliney
[email-masked]                                        Ting H. Hsiao
[email-masked]                                   Terri S Matthews
[email-masked]                                             Tony Clarke
[email-masked]                                      Meindert de Jong [^_^]
[email-masked]                                                Terry Trier
[email-masked]                              Thomas Schreiter
[email-masked]                                            MR JASON A SHAW
[email-masked]                                              Roland Strube
[email-masked]                                               Tim P. Yoho
[email-masked]                                  Conrad A. Berube
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                                   Una Smith
[email-masked]                                              David Powell
[email-masked]                                          KIRK VISSCHER
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                             William Wagner
[email-masked]                                         Eric Wajnberg
[email-masked]                                              Greg Walker
[email-masked]                               willem jan boot
[email-masked]
[email-masked]                                             Gerard Worrell
[email-masked]                                      Theresa Wossler
[email-masked]                                           Bill Bardon
[email-masked]                                                    Wendy Brown
[email-masked]                                    yvonne drost
[email-masked]                                      Pierre Zagatti
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

Voted No
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]                                             Vincent Archer
[email-masked]                                                 Chris Darling
[email-masked]                                           David Mosher
[email-masked]                                     Jeffrey David Cohen
[email-masked]                                     John R. MacWilliamson
[email-masked]                                           Zeke M. Towson
[email-masked]                                          M Mike Taksar KC6ZPS
[email-masked]                                                    Ryan Waldron
[email-masked]                                             Richard H. Miller
[email-masked]                                      Robert P. Smith
[email-masked]                                         Smarasderagd
[email-masked]                                                  Dwight Brown
[email-masked]                                         Risto Widenius
[email-masked]                                         Willem N. Ellis

Abstained
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]                                           Ed Bailey
[email-masked]                              Kenneth P Crouch
[email-masked]                                M. 'icky icky bugs!' Otto
[email-masked]                                   Marcelo Teixeira Tavares
[email-masked]                                        Stephen Joseph Smith

Votes in error
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]                                                   Balaji
   ! No vote statement in message
[email-masked]
   ! No vote statement in message
[email-masked]                              Elaine Roberts
   ! No vote statement in message
[email-masked]                           M. B. Wagner 237-6119
   ! No vote statement in message
[email-masked]
   ! No vote statement in message
[email-masked]                                     Timo Taghizadeh
   ! No vote statement in message
[email-masked]                                     Steve Goldstein
   ! No vote statement in message