Subject: Looking for a Hive in DC

From: [email-masked] (Rick Regan)
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 1994 10:37:06 GMT

I want to start keeping bees in my backyard in DC.  I could use some 
net-advice.

Anybody in the DC area with a hive for sale?
 When I find one, what should I expect to pay?
Is the beginning of winter an appropriate time to start, or will the bees be 
disoriented and lose their way?

Are there any city restrictions and ordinances I should know about (like - 
maybe it's illegal to keep bees in the city, kind like firing a handgun?)

I'm checking my phone book and find 'Ernie's Apiary' in Walkerstown, MD.  
Anybody with experience dealing with Ernie?

My real goal is as a winemaker, to have my own honey for mead.  But I started 
reading about bees and it seems pretty cool.  I think I'll be able to have one 
(or two) hives in my yard.  

Rick Regan
Catholic University of America
Columbus School of Law
Washington, DC
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (LA Kellogg lawrence a 2023833558)
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 1994 17:56:56 GMT

Rick,
    Congratulations on getting into beekeeping..I just started keeping 
bees this year and I have three hives. I don't have any to sell however...
I live in Silver Spring, MD so I'm not too far away from you. Ernie is a 
good guy..I know him from the Montgomery Country Beekeeper meetings...
Oh, sorry to tell you this, but I think it is illegal to keep bees 
in the District. I don't know if they enforce the regulations..
The biggest problem you're going to run into is water...bees need a 
good supply of water. Your neighbors swimming pool is a good source 
but your neighbors may not like that..You can provide them with water..
  Spring is the best time to start a hive..bees need time to build up supplies 
for the winter or you're going to have to feed them to get them through...
I'm feeding one of my hives...it was a nuc (for nucleus) that I bought 
>from  a beekeeper friend for $35. Package bees are about $27 for three 
pounds...I can get you more info if you need it. 
  Drop me a note..I would be glad to hook you up with some local beekeepers..

    Regards,
      Lary Kellogg
  k

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 1994 19:46:41 GMT

Rick, your mail is bouncing.
If I may be so biased, you have a Virginia state inspector, John Mcghee
right near you in N. VA. Why don't you email him and use all the resources
he has to offer?
He is John Mcghee.
[email-masked]
Adam
-- 
 _________________________________________________________________________
  Adam Finkelstein    [email-masked] | [email-masked]
 ___________________________________________|_____________________________

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Jaquet, SM2, Auburn, CA)
Date: 24 Oct 94 16:11:32 -0800

(Rick Regan) writes:
> Is the beginning of winter an appropriate time to start,.... 

I'll jump in here and pass on the advice that was given to me.
Try to find a local beekeepers organization, hopefully one that leans more
towards the educational rather than social end of the hobby or business.
Then spend this winter reading books, subscribing to magazines, ordering
catalogs, going to the library, and those sorts of things.

Since you are in D.C., go check out the Smithsonians observation hive in their
museum of natural science.  You might even be able to arrange a meeting with
their beekeeper since you are in the area.

The local club I'm a member of here in N. California gives a free beekeeping
class for beginners in the spring, maybe you can find a group near you giving
similar lessons.  Then, once you have read anything you can get your hands on,
perhaps found a local beekeeper and helped him or her work with their bees,
have your bee suit or veil and smoker and hive tools.  Then you'll be better
informed to begin to keep bees.

You might use this winter to order wood and start building up your hive boxes
and frames.  Basically get everything ready for the spring and the bee's
natural build-up period.  Get your medications noted and scheduled, prepare a
calender of what happens locally, when your local honey flows are, what local
restrictions you may have to contend with.

Also see if you have a local county agricultural extension agent.  They are a
good source of information, and can often point you towards some good helpfull
people or clubs.  Plus your local 4H clubs may have beekeepers.

Then, lastly, don't get discouraged if your first year does not give you a big
harvest.  It will take your bees the first year to build up the foundation
combs, plus you'll be learning how to deal with them and manage them for your
local area.  You'll learn about swarms, and mites, and flowers, and stings, and
if all goes well you'll learn a better appreciation for the little buzzing
honey bee.

[email-masked]      | just a small time hobbyist, but that's okay.

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 1994 07:14:40 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>their beekeeper since you are in the area.

 This hive is dead from AFB :(
-- 
 _________________________________________________________________________
  Adam Finkelstein    [email-masked] | [email-masked]
 ___________________________________________|_____________________________

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Regan)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 12:28:23 GMT

>in the District. I don't know if they enforce the regulations..

Larry, thanks for the info.  You are correct though, "DC Bans Bees!"
I spoke with most of the District government this morning, and finally 
reached a very helpful woman named Tina Harper in Animal Control and 
Communicable Diseases.  She read the regulations to me that said "a hive in 
not permitted in DC, unless bees are confined in a hive or somehow confined 
to the owners' property."  Oh, well.  More middle class 'flight' to the 
suburbs. I going to call a friend with a big yard, in MD, and put my 
hive there. Thanks again.   Rick Regan

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Jaquet, SM2, Auburn, CA)
Date: 31 Oct 94 09:44:01 -0800

> to the owners' property."

I guess this means the Smithsonian Institution must have a special exemption.
They have an observation hive on a second floor with an exit tube going to
the outside.  I dare say thoses bees are easily landing on the White House
Flowers.

Just wondering what kind of exemption the Smithsonian has for their hive.

mike_j2