Subject: New Hives - Just Starting

From: [email-masked] (Jim )
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 19:23:04

I am interested in learning more about bee keeping and possibly starting out.  
What would you suggest I read and what supplies should I puruse to begin.

A friend of mine who has been keeping bees for 5 years has helped me some 
already.

Please E-mail your responses to me.

---

From: "Sharon J. Collman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 04:59:33 GMT

> What would you suggest I read and what supplies should I puruse to begin.

Many Cooperative Extension offices throughout the country have 
publications on Beekeeping, and many also keep information on local 
beekeeping organizations.  The Cooperative Extension System is the 
federal name for what was the Agriculturals Extension Service, Extension 
Service, cooperative Extension, Cooperative Extension Service.   4-H 
and the Master Gardener Programs are also CES programs.  Look in your 
county listings, or sometimes state listings, for any or all of the 
above.  (Makes it very difficult to "market" this terrific resource.)

Good luck.

> Please E-mail your responses to me.

Sharon J. Collman
c/o Center For Urban Horticulture
University of Washington  GF-15
Seattle, WA  98195

Phone:  206-543-8616 
Fax:    206-685-2692
EMail:  [email-masked]

NOTE NEW ADDRESS

---

From: Gordon Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 May 1995 23:27:23 +0100

"Jim" writes:

> I am interested in learning more about bee keeping and possibly starting
> out.  What would you suggest I read and what supplies should I puruse to
> begin.

I'm biased because I'm a recent  ex-secraetary  of  a  local  beekeeping
Association,  but  _Join_One_  -- you'll gain lots of friends, ideas and
help. You may gain much more.

Whether or not you take the above advice,  try  to  find  another  local
beekeeper  with  whom  you  can  exchange  thoughts.   Bees  are  simple
creatures, but they can still  make  us  feel  pretty  silly  at  times.
Someone else with more experience off of whom you can bounce thoughts is
a God-send!

Happy beekeeping! BTW, if you're nature oriented you'll _love_ it.

Regards,
-- 
Gordon Scott	[email-masked]		100332,3310 on CompuServe
Newsletter	[email-masked]	ditto
		Beekeeper, Kendo Sandan, sometime sailor.
		Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG22 5HP, UK