Subject: info lbs vs. pails vs gallon

From: [email-masked] (Christine)
Date: 20 May 1995 02:17:37 GMT

I am a little confused.  Could someone educate me as to the ratio of
lbs vs. pails vs. gallons.  Someone ask me about 12 lbs.  of honey. 

When I inquired about the 12 lbs.  the producer did not know what I 
meant.  How much does 12 lbs equal to other weight measurements.  Also
15 lbs.  Thanks!

Christine

---

From: [email-masked] (Aaron Morris)
Date: Mon, 22 May 95 08:13:34 EDT

In article <[email-masked]>
[email-masked] (Christine) writes:
 
>lbs vs. pails vs. gallons.
>
>
>Christine
>
 
Actually, this is a hard one to answer because there is so much variation
in pail size and gallons (are we talking big pail or little pail, U.S.
or Imperial gallons?).  A U.S. gallon weighs 12 U.S. pounds - one quart
weight 3 pounds.  Other weights and sizes are foreign to me.
 
Aaron Morris

---

From: [email-masked] (Andy Nachbaur)
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 05:08:00 GMT

C<>From: [email-masked] (Christine)
 <>I am a little confused.  Could someone educate me as to the ratio of
 <>lbs vs. pails vs. gallons.  Someone ask me about 12 lbs.  of honey.

C<>When I inquired about the 12 lbs.  the producer did not know what I
 <>meant.  How much does 12 lbs equal to other weight measurements.  Also
 <>15 lbs.  Thanks!

C<>Christine

    Beekeepers Measurements (California, Left Coast of USA)

        A CAN    60 lbs- 5 gallons  (poor years production)
        A CASE   2-5 gallon cans in a wooden box (average crop)
        A DRUM   55 gallons or 660 lbs, 11 can's, (one whale of a crop)

 I will let the other do the honor's for the smaller sizes to even
mention them at this stage of the season could be bad luck.

---

From: [email-masked] (Rick Hough)
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 13:00:05 -0500

>meant.  How much does 12 lbs equal to other weight measurements.  Also

Sorry if this has already been answered - my news reader seems to be a bit
behind the times. I'm not absolutely sure on this, but my memory is that
a 5 gallon pail is 60 lbs, so that would mean that 12 lbs. is one gallon.
(I'm talking US measures, by the way!) That would also make 15 lbs.
equal to 1.25 gallons ( 5 quarts ).

Rick Hough, a hobby beekeeper from NE Massachusetts.
[email-masked]