Subject: Reading BEE-L on WWW and Email

From: [email-masked] (Allen Dick 546-2588)
Date: Sun, 21 May 1995 14:43:49 GMT

Contents: 1.) Web access to BEE-L
          2.) Email access to historical BEE-L discussions
          3.) How to ensure the logs are not too large to save in future
          4.) How to join BEE-L

There are now two ways now to read back issues of BEE-L, the beekeeping 
discussion list.

1. ) BEE-l can presently be read on the Worldwide Web by pointing your
brouser at http://www.internode.net:80/~allend/index.html This is a NEW
URL.

You can also still get there from http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka

The National (USA) Honey Board Database is also there to brouse or download.

Most logs going back to 1991 are available on my web sites.  Some are
missing. If you have any old logs on hand that are not there, kindly
forward them to me by email.

If you have web access, either by PPP and a graphical brouser or by lynx
(a UNIX brouser available on many UNIX shell accounts by typing the
command 'lynx'), this is the fast, simple way to go.

2.) For those with no web access, logs are also available quite
conveniently by email from

[email-masked]

However they only go back to 1994.

Due to the increasing size of
recent logs and limited space on the LISTSERV, the older logs have been
displaced.

To have a BEE-L log emailed to you:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just send a message with no subject (subject lines are ignored) to
[email-masked] with the message

GET BEE-L LOGMMYY

Where MM is the month (ie. 05 for May) and YY is the year (ie. 95 for
1995). Additional logs requested can be added on up to four more lines in
your message.  Be aware of the spacing of the words (No space in LOG9505,
for example).

Leave out any other text -- such as .signatures.  Additional text -
other than lines with additional commands -- will trigger harmless error
messages from the LISTSERV.

The log will arrive some time later in your mailbox.  Warning: logs can
be 650 K in size.

3.)Therefore please edit your contributions to BEE-L and leave off long sigs:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please, everyone, when posting to BEE-L, consider the size of your
.signature file and limit the amount of previous articles quoted to what
is necessary to understand your comments -- Thanks.

Please edit out all signatures and unnecessary (irrelevant) parts of the
quoted message to reduce the amount of material going into the logs.
This will keep the size mangeable.  The log for the present month is over
425K now -- and much of this is due to vanity sigs and over-quoting.

What uses up space?  Entire blank lines use only one byte, so feel free to
use lots of blank lines if it makes your message easy to read.

For example the previous (empty) line used only one byte!

Part lines use one byte for each character visible plus one, so they are
not wasteful either.

The above partial line is 21 bytes because I did not add any spaces after
the '.'

'>' alone on a line is only two bytes.

However the blank spaces in signatures, used to space things out, count one
byte per space, or up to eighty bytes per line.

For example: my sig below uses 216 bytes (54 bytes per line times four
lines).  This is equivalent to one four line paragraph of text.

So, please don't quote it when you quote me.

I hope this info is useful and encourages more compact logs without
discouraging people from posting -- after all the posts are what make this
list interesting and useful.

4.) To subscribe to BEE-L, just send an email to 
[email-masked] with the message:

SUBSCRIBE BEE-L My Name

Where 'My Name' is your own name.  Be prepared to reply to a message 
which should arrive shortly, and you will then receive postings as fast 
as they are distributed.

Enjoy.

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                        VE6CFK
Rural Route One   Swalwell   Alberta   Canada  T0M 1Y0
Email:   [email-masked]    or   [email-masked]
Futures, Art & Honey:http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka

-- 
W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                        VE6CFK 
Rural Route One   Swalwell   Alberta   Canada  T0M 1Y0 
Email:   [email-masked]    or   [email-masked]
Futures, Art & Honey:http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka