Subject: Nuc box beekeeping- seek advice

From: [email-masked] (David M. Stamper)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 1995 03:30:11 GMT

My dad had a real bad year last year for apples and believes it was from a 
scarcity of bees.  A full-size hive is not justified for his needs, and the 
neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate it, either.  So a 4-frame nuc would 
probably be just right.  He would also like to have the bees around throughout 
the summer to pollenate the garden crops.  This is all for a very small yard 
with 1250 sq. foot garden and 5 apple trees in suburban Cleveland.

Questions:
1.  How quickly will the nuc fill up and get ready to swarm?  Assume that we 
start the nuc in early April with feeding, in order to be ready for the apple 
blossom time in early May.

2.  What would be the best swarm prevention method since adding supers would 
not be justified?  Can we destroy brood periodically without any ill 
consequencs?  Having even a small hive of angry bees would "disappoint" the 
neighbors.

Any other answers to relevant questions I did not think of would be 
appreciated.

Dave

---

From: [email-masked] (Gerard Worrell)
Date: 28 Feb 1995 21:20:24 GMT

David M. Stamper ([email-masked]) wrote:
: My dad had a real bad year last year for apples and believes it was from a 
: scarcity of bees.  A full-size hive is not justified for his needs, and the 
: neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate it, either.  So a 4-frame nuc would 
: probably be just right.  He would also like to have the bees around through
: out  the summer to pollenate ...
: Any other answers to relevant questions I did not think of would be 
: appreciated.

: Dave

I would be concerned that a nuc was large enough to survive the winter in 
Ohio. In order to provide sufficient stores and room for brood rearing in 
MD requires at least 1-1/2 to 2 full size brood chambers. <the half comes 
from using either a shallow or illinois super for stores>. Brood rearing 
must occur in early spring in order to provide replacement for the old 
bees that make it thru the winter. 
   Usually the best solution to suburban back yards is to provide a 
screen forcing the bees up at the property line so they are not at people 
level; providing a source of water so the bees don't use the neighbors 
pool and an occasional jar of honey to next door neighbors. Also you need 
to point out to neighbors the benefits of pollination not just of 
vegetables but also flowers of all kinds!

                          Jerry

---

From: [email-masked] (David M. Stamper)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 00:02:59 GMT

>                          Jerry
Hi Jerry.  
As much as I appreciate your advice concerning full-size hives, it does not 
help, as the only option here is a nuc colony.  It does not matter whether the 
bees survive the winter, and the flight path of the bees is not at issue 
either.  This colony is only going to be necessary for pollination of a few 
trees.  A large (normal) sized colony is not an option.

I need to know how to anticipate swarming and prevent it in a 
nuc-sized colony.

Thanks,
Dave