Subject: Re: Plastic foundation opinions, please

From: [email-masked] (Pollinator)
Date: 1 Jun 1995 22:43:39 -0400

Mark Dillow <[email-masked]>:
>After being a hobbiest for about 5 years now, I have come to 
the point that I am willing to pay more for plastic foundation 
(Duraguilt or Pierco) in order to save time.

  Is a hobbiest the greatest of all hobbyists?

>My question is, what are your opinions concerning these two 
products? Are they readily accepted by the bees? If the wax 
gets chewed off the plastic, will the bees eventually rebuild 
on the plastic foundation midrib?

   I use almost exclusively Duragilt, as I also do not have time to wire
frames.  Duragilt will not be rebuilt by the bees, after the plastic is
exposed.  A wired frame is still the best, though I don't have too many
left.  I haven't compared prices lately, but isn't Duragilt about the same
as wired foundation?

   I was given a dozen Pierco frames by a sales rep about four years ago. 
I placed one each in the center of brood nests of a dozen hives.  Only a
couple have ever been drawn.  The rest still sit there, unused.  Would you
like them?
They are also very brittle in cold weather.   Sorry Pierco folks.  I know
you try.

   Try a few and see if they work for you.  Good luck.
[email-masked]                                   Dave Green
Dave's Pollination Service         Eastern Pollinator Newsletter
PO Box 1215, Hemingway, SC    29554