Subject: Apistan Strips

From: [email-masked] (Robert Inget)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 04:52:41

Say you are a small grower and have fewer then fifty hives for polination..
Because you wanted to take honey last year, you followed the lable and removed 
the strips 45 days before pulling honey.. Now all your hives are dead.. Now 
you buy nukes, are you going to take the strips out, and lose these guys, why 
poop no. By the way we also used canola oil, (paper towels) and bee mix (anti 
biotics) .  ? is does this Apistan contaminate honey? Will it hurt a person?
Do we just forget about honey for a bit till another legal treatment comes 
along?
BerryBob

---

From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 01:42:09 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Robert  Inget <[email-masked]> wrote:

>the strips 45 days before pulling honey.. Now all your hives are dead...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 
 The label has you remove strips, then super. If you had Apistan in
colonies with honey supers on, you were not following the label, and
the honey shouldn't be used for human consumption.

Read the label. It is pretty clear. Apistan works well. Timing of
application is the easiest way to get the best control. Think. Since Apistan
works on contact, when would be the best time to treat?
When there is the least amount of brood-- late Fall or early Spring
applications are the most efficatious.

 How do you know your hives were killed from varroa?

Adam
-- 
______________________________________
Adam Finkelstein 
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (David J Trickett)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 20:29:23 GMT

Adam Finkelstein ([email-masked]) wrote:

: Read the label. It is pretty clear. Apistan works well. Timing of
: application is the easiest way to get the best control. Think. Since Apistan
: works on contact, when would be the best time to treat?
: When there is the least amount of brood-- late Fall or early Spring
: applications are the most efficatious.

:  How do you know your hives were killed from varroa?

In the case of two of my hives, I never had a chance to treat for 
varroa.  Our fall honeyflow lasts well into October but the mites had 
wiped out the colonies (one a prosperous, very productive colony of 
midnights, the other a not so productive but nevertheless prosperous 
colony of italians) by late September.  Some keepers in this area 
(Philadelphia/Central Jersey) are forgoing the Fall flow in order to 
ensure treating in time.  

As for mites, mortality, and causality, I don't really know that mites did 
them in; I do know that mites were there in large numbers because they 
were visible on the dead bees.  I'm not being facetious here; I don't 
think it is certain that there is not more here than is readily apparent.  
The mites may be vectors spreading something else.

Related:  I have a feral colony which we removed earlier (three weeks ago)
from a house in central PA.  We were unable to locate and save the queen,
but saved 3 lbs of bees and some brood.  I put all of this in a deep with
plenty of honey and pollen (these bees deserve more than just the "nuke
and sugar syrup treatment) and on a warm day two weeks ago confirmed they
were building queen cells (2 small, 1 med, 1 large); the rest of the brood
had been capped by this time. 

The interesting point is that in examining some of the damaged comb we'd 
removed, I found a sealed-up drone with a mite on it.  There were very 
few drones in the comb - I only found that one, but it was infested.  I'm 
hoping a queen pulls through and that these bees have some 
resistance in them.

I'll be salvaging brood and bees from whatever removal calls I get this
year, with the intent to establish new colonies from them, rather than
just adding them to existing colonies.  So far calls have been few, but
it's still pretty cold, so people haven't begun noticing them yet.  We'll
also be trying to convince people to leave them alone, if at all possible. 

Dave

---

From: [email-masked] (Hugo Thone)
Date: 6 Apr 1995 08:58:38 GMT

For God's sake, open your eyes when your read the notice on the Apistan
package.  It states clearly that you should not use the strips before a
honey flow is expected.
Treat your hives only after the last harvest (in the autumn) during approx.
42 days (i.e. the period needed for two generations of bees to be born). So 
you're sure that all bees in the hive have been in contact with the medicin.

I also would not use antibiotics like termacyne, fumidil-b, etc...
After all, honey should be a pure product of nature !!

------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Hugo Thone (SE121)                        email : [email-masked]
ALCATEL BELL TELEPHONE                    phone : (32) 3 240 94 52
F.Wellesplein 1                           fax   : (32) 3 240 99 50
B-2018 Antwerp

                           do bee do bee do ....

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Inget)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 06:04:42

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Adam Finkelstein)
>Subject: Re: Apistan Strips
>Date: 6 Apr 1995 01:42:09 GMT
>Keywords: only legal way to kill mites? Chemically, yes.