Subject: compost: tilling fall lea

From: [email-masked] (Jim Mcnelly)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 02:04:00 +0600

AGRAWAL@GRACIE TO ALL
Discussing: compost: tilling fall lea ON 12/06/94
Replied To: Wednesday, December 14, 1994 01:10

A> Well, our instructor said that tilling leaves under is a no-no! By
A> tilling them in the soil the bacteria that decomposes them requires
A> nitrogen and it will take it away from the soil leaveing it less
A> fertile . I didn't notice any soil problem with mine garden.

Greetings,

Many studies have shown that tilling in leaves at a loading rate of about 
40 dry tons per acre, approximately 1" wet and compacted, 3" dry, is 
beneficial to food crops. The most recent and best study was by Dr. Art 
Peterson at the University of Wisconsin, Madison in 1992.

The issue of nitrogen starvation which your so called expert alludes to 
is being proven to be largely over-stated and not the problem that was 
once suspected. New studies from Asia are demonstrating that high wood 
fiber compost is quite beneficial to soils.

Your composting expert seems to be taught in the chemical process of 
feeding soils and might benefit from a more interdisciplinary perspective 
on the value of the soil ecosystem, which is supported by humus, 
decomposing organic matter, and annual applications of fresh organic 
materials.

The soil is self balancing in relation to diseases and fertilizer 
balance once the beneficial soil ecosystem is in place. Natural anti-
biotics are being shown to be more beneficial in controlling disease than 
the heat of the composting process. In the absence of N, high carbon 
feedstocks are often colonized by fungi and other microbes not associated 
with thermophyllic composting. They are excellent in decomposing high 
carbon materials and leaving rich humus in its place.

Nature and earthworms till in raw leaves.  You can too.

Mr Compost~~~

 * RM 1.3 02460 * What's all this fuss about endangered feces?

------------------============<>=============-----------------
   Granite City Connection (612) 654-8372 28.8K 3 Lines
   Email: [email-masked] (Jim Mcnelly)
------------------============<>=============-----------------