Subject: Organic Grape and Wine Conference

From: [email-masked] (Judy Green)
Date: 14 Feb 1995 23:52:40 -0000

PRESS RELEASE        FOR CALENDAR OF EVENTS

ORGANIC GRAPE AND WINE PRODUCTION
March 21 and 22, 1995
Jordan Hall
New York State Agricultural Experiment Station
Cornell University
Geneva, New York   14456

Under SARE (Northeast Region Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education
Program) sponsorship, a group of Cornell researchers and organic and
conventional grape growers have been studying the feasibility of organic
wine and juice grape production in New York.  Their results of this five
year project will be presented in this conference on organic grape and wine
production, but other speakers from the organic producer communities in the
east, California and France will also share their experiences in organic
grape and wine production.  The seminar will be immediately followed by the
New York State Wine Industry Workshop at the same location.  This is an
N.J. Shaulis symposium   co-sponsored by the Cornell Farming Alternatives
Program, Northeast Organic Farming Association, and the New York State
Grape Production Research Fund.  Registration fee is $50.00 and includes a
copy of the proceedings.

Featured Speakers:

Dr. Gunter Schruft      Director, State Wine & Viticulture Research
                        Institute, Freiburg, Germany
Dr. Laurie Drinkwater   Rodale Institute, Pennsylvania
Elizabeth Henderson     Northeast Organic Farming Association (NOFA)
Rich Gahagan            Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (Regulations)
John Schumacher         California, Hallcrest Organic Winery
Dr. Robert Pool         Cornell Professor of Viticulture
Dr. David Peterson      Cornell Cooperative Extension, Finger Lakes
Jim Kamas               Cornell Cooperative Extension, Lake Erie
Dr. Timothy Martinson   Cornell Entomologist  - IPM Specialist
Dr. David Gadoury       Cornell Plant Pathologist
Dr. Gerry White         Cornell Agriculture Economist
Dr. Stuart Klausner     Cornell Professor of Agronomy
Richard Figiel          Silver Thread Vineyard, Finger Lakes organic
                        grape grower
Scott Smith             4 Chimneys Vineyard, Finger Lakes organic grape grower
Ken Farnan              Buzzard Crest Vineyard, Finger Lakes organic
                        grape grower
Joseph Ottati           Glendale Farm, Finger Lakes organic grape grower
George Scalf            CEO, Blue Mountain Natural Products, New Hampshire

For information contact Judy Robinson, Department of Horticultural
Sciences, NYSAES, Geneva, NY  14456.  315-787-2238  FAX 315-787-2216.

Judy Green                              Phone: 607-255-9832
Coordinator                             Fax: 255-9984
Farming Alternatives Program            Email: [email-masked]
Dept. of Rural Sociology
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY  14853-7801