Subject: Re: Mulberry spp.

From: Scott Ranger <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Jul 1995 18:08:19 GMT

Red Mulberry (Morus rubra L.) is our native North American species, with 
a range in rich woods from FL to TX north to sw VT, NW, southern Ontario, 
Minnesota and SD. It can always be told from the alien white mulberry 
because its leave feel rough and look leathery, with deep lines running 
throughout the upper side.  It is not shiny, and up to 10 inches long.  
The fruits start white and change to red or purple when ripe.  Ripe 
fruits permanently stain anything.

White Mulberry (M. alba L.) is an alien that has escaped from cultivation 
(for silk) starting mostly from NY and moving south and west.  The fruits 
start white and can end just about any color, so don't make your ID based 
upon fruit color.  White mulberry leaves are shiny, and generally 
somewhat smaller than red.

Both mulberries have leaves in various shapes, ovate. lobed left, lobed 
right, many lobes, uneven, even.  They are more variable than sassafras.
Our native red becomes more and more uncommon toward the northern end of 
its range.  White mulberry can be found virtually anywhere, as at the 
turn of the century, a myriad of people thought they could get rich by 
cultivating silkworms on mulberry trees, and chose the Asian species.