Subject: Re: Crop yield mapping

From: [email-masked] (Simon Blackmore)
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 16:48:40 +1000

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Julian Swindell) writes:
Dear All,
>        Our College has been collecting crop yield data for two years,
>using satellite navigation techniques to locate the positions of the samples,
>which are collected during the harvest. This data is being analysed in a
>geographic information system (GIS) in order to create yield maps of the
>fields, showing the spatial variation in the yield levels. I would be
>interested in hearing from anyone who has been workng in this area, which is
>often referred to as "precision farming". I am particulalry interested in
>problems relating to the accuracy of the yield data,  the influence of the
>speed of the combine on the yield measurement and the influence of the pattern
>of the harvest on the apparent distribution of the yield variations.

I have just started the Precision Farming Group under the Institute of 
Agricultural Engineers, where (I hope) we can create a forum for discussion on 
yield mapping and other issues.

We are hosting the inaugural meeting here at Silsoe College, Cranfield 
University on Wednesday 14th December at 2:00pm. All are welcome.
There will be a number of people who are developing yield mapping 
technologies, myself included!

If you cannot make the meeting then drop me an email and we can take it from 
there.

There is another group in the States headed by Pierre Robert at the University 
of Minnesota. He can be contacted as [email-masked]

I hope to publish the proceedings of the last Precision Farming Conference on 
WWW in the next month or so. Watch this space.

    -----------------------------------------------
    | Eur Ing Simon Blackmore                     |
    | Lecturer in Information Technology          |
    | Silsoe College                              |
    | Cranfield University                        |
    | Silsoe                                      |
    | Bedfordshire                                |
    | MK45 4DT                                    |
    | England                                     |
    |                                             |
    |   Direct Line: +44 (0)1525 86 3030          |
    |   Switchboard: +44 (0)1525 86 3000          |
    |   Fax:         +44 (0)1525 86 3001          |
    | Email: [email-masked]          |
    -----------------------------------------------