Subject: Re: Any Sustag Web Sites Out There?

From: [email-masked] (DeeAnna Weed)
Date: 7 Jan 1995 22:26:40 -0000

Martin Danner wrote:
"Does anyone out there know of any Internet World Wide Web (WWW) sites  
devoted to agriculture in general and sustainable agriculture in
particular? If so, please send me the URL." 

Here's a list of some sites you can access through WWW (as well as some
newsgroups and e-mail lists you might find interesting). I haven't tried
all of these addresses so I can't vouch that every site is good or
that all addresses are accurate, but this should get you started. This
informatin is divided by topic -- I've included some info that is not
specific to agriculture in the latter half of the list.

Note that you can use WWW to access gopher, ftp, and telnet sites (the
addresses that have gopher:// or ftp:// or telnet:// prefixes) as well
as WWW sites (the ones that have http:// prefixes). Just type the entire
address as it's shown when using Mosaic, Netscape, WWW or Lynx (all
programs that access the WWW system). To use these addresses when
ftp-ing, gopher-ing, or telnet-ting directly, omit the appropriate
prefix when typing an address.

DeeAnna Weed
[email-masked]

********************************************************************

Sustainable or alternative agriculture
********************************************************************
Newsgroup:
    alt.sustainable.agriculture
******************************************************************** 
Sustainable agriculture mailing list, sustag-l
To subscribe, send a message to    [email-masked]    with 
a blank subject line and with text that reads:     
subscribe sustag-l Your Name   Example:   subscribe sustag-l John Doe
******************************************************************** 
Sustainable agriculture network mailing list, sanet
To subscribe to sanet-mg, send e-mail to    [email-masked]    
with this command in the body of the message    subscribe sanet-mg    
Sanet-mg is a "forum" mailing group; to submit an article, simply send
your message to    [email-masked]    If you have general 
questions about the mailing groups or Almanac, mail to     
[email-masked].
******************************************************************** 
Principles of sustainable agriculture mailing list, sustag-principles.
Post to    [email-masked]
If you wish to SUBSCRIBE to this mailing list, please send e-mail to  
almanac@.ces.ncsu.edu     with the message:    
subscribe sustag-principles    If you wish to UNSUBSCRIBE from this
mailing  list, send e-mail to     [email-masked]    with the 
message:    unsubscribe sustag-principles
******************************************************************** 
The International Ag-Sieve is a bimonthly collection of gleanings of 
the latest and most applicable information in the field of sustainable
agriculture in the Tropics. Recent thematic issues cover the latest in
tropical forest products, training opportunities, seeds, biodiversity,
urban gardening and vegetable systems, women in agriculture, and 
agroforestry. To subscribe by e-mail, try contacting Roger at (he did 
not provide e-mail subscription information with this post):   
[email-masked]
******************************************************************** 
Issues of the Leopold Center's newsletter are available on On-line ISU.
gopher://gopher info.iastate.edu      
(note the space between gopher and info)
******************************************************************** 

Agriculture
********************************************************************
Newsgroups:
    misc.rural
    rec.gardens
    sci.agriculture
******************************************************************** 
State Fact Sheets can be obtained electronically from the USDA 
Economic Research Service Send an E-Mail message to  
[email-masked] .  On a single line in the message body, type:    
GET  <filename>    Use the two-letter state abbreviation and the word,
DATA, to retrieve the fact sheet for the state that you want.  You can
ask for more than one State Fact Sheet in your message, but be sure to
put only one GET command per line. For example, to receive the 
electronic data file for Virginia, in the body of the note, type on a 
single line    GET  VA  DATA    The State Fact Sheet will be returned 
to your E-Mail address. You can also get more information on this 
service by sending    GET  README  STATEFAC    to the server address 
given above.
******************************************************************** 
Extension Service USDA Information:    
gopher://zeus.esusda.gov
gopher://ra.esusda.gov
gopher://esusda.gov         Information Server (CYFER-net)
******************************************************************** 
The Computer Network of the Institute of Food and Agricultural 
Sciences (IFAS), at the University of Florida, announces the WWW 
server, "AgriGator".
http://GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU/WWW/AGATOR_HOME.HTM
******************************************************************** 
Land and Resource Economics Electronic Conference (res-econ)  The 
discussion of topics related to land and resource economics. The list 
is administered by Richard Porter [admin address: 
<[email-masked]>     To subscribe, mail a message to:  
[email-masked]    The subject header of your message 
should read    subscribe to res-econ    In the body , type your name 
as you prefer to be called. To send a message to members, address 
email to     [email-masked]
******************************************************************** 
Rural development issues can be raised through the Community and Rural
Economic Development Interests List.  For information send email to 
[email-masked]; in the body of your message type: subscribe 
RURALDEV your name.  For information send email to    
[email-masked]    with the following body:     
subscribe econ-dev your name.
******************************************************************** 
SCS (Soil Conservation Service) Gopher Information System
gopher://gopher.scs.ag.gov
******************************************************************** 

Water resources
********************************************************************
UWIN is the Universities Water Information Network.  This network is 
made available to users by the gopher server that is administered here
at UCOWR Headquarters at Southern Illinois University.  WaterTalk is 
ONE of the services that UWIN offers.  WaterTalk is a bulletin board 
system (BBS) covering various water topics.
gopher://gopher.c-wr.siu.edu
http://www.uwin.siu.edu
******************************************************************** 
University of Wisconsin-Madison Water Resources Reference Services
gopher://wiscinfo.wisc.edu    Select UW-Madison and UW-System Gopher 
Servers:  UW-Madison Libraries Server:  Selected UW Madison Libraries:
Water Resources Reference Services
******************************************************************** 
Nova Scotia Department of Agriculture and Marketing: use of artificial
wetlands for ag waste treatment
http://gus.nsac.ns.ca/~piinfo/resman/wetlands/litproj.html
******************************************************************** 

Environmental
******************************************************************** 
Electronic Green Journal
To subscribe, send an email message to [email-masked] with the 
following in the body of the message:      subscribe egj 
your_email_address
gopher://gopher.uidaho.edu   Select  University of IdahoElectronic 
			     Publications
http://gopher.uidaho.edu/1/UI_gopher/library/egj/
ftp.uidaho.edu (directory: pub/docs/publications/EGJ
********************************************************************
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Environmental 
Information Services
gopher://gopher.esdim.noaa.gov
http://www.esdim.noaa.gov
******************************************************************** 
Oregon State University EXTOXNET - EXtension TOXicology NETwork
gopher://sulaco.oes.orst.edu    Select Oregon Extension Service 
Projects and Programs:  EXTOXNET - EXtension TOXicology NETwork.  See 
especially the Pesticide Information Profiles.
******************************************************************** 
EnviroGopher, The EnviroLink NetworkHost:    
gopher://envirolink.org
******************************************************************** 
EcoGopher at University of Virginia in Charlottesville -- good!
gopher://ecosys.drdr.virginia.edu
******************************************************************** 
The EnviroWeb is advertised as the world's largest environmental 
information archive on-line and the clearinghouse of all on-line 
environmental information.
http://envirolink.org
******************************************************************** 
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA): access to the EPA 
Public Information. 
http://www.epa.gov/
******************************************************************** 
The EPA Toxics factsheets are located at
gopher://ecosys.drdr.virginia.edu    Select:  The library:  General:  
EPA chemical substances factsheets
******************************************************************** 
Solstice (Center for Renewable Energy and Sustainable Technology)
gopher://gopher.crest.org
http://solstice.crest.org/
******************************************************************** 
University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR)
gopher://gopher.ucar.edu
******************************************************************** 
Thematic Guides on the human dimensions of global environmental change
are now available on-line from CIESIN (pronounced "season"), the 
Consortium for International Earth Science Information Network. 
Thematic Guides provide on-line overviews and access to the full text 
of hundreds of journal articles, book chapters, conference papers, 
research reports, and other materials.
http://www.ciesin.org
gopher://gopher.ciesin.org
******************************************************************** 
WLREHAB is an open, unmoderated, discussion list for those interested 
in wildlife rehabilitation. To subscribe, send a message to: 
[email-masked] (or [email-masked]) with a blank 
subject line and with text that reads    SUBSCRIBE WLREHAB Your Name  
Eg.  SUBSCRIBE WLREHAB John Doe    If you have trouble, contact Ronda 
DeVold  [email-masked]
******************************************************************** 
Campus EarthNet
http://netspace.students.brown.edu/environ/earthnet
******************************************************************** 
The Global Change Master Directory (GCMD) project originates from NASA
Goddard Space Flight Center's (GSFC) Global Change Data Center in 
Greenbelt, Maryland.
http://gcmd.gsfc.nasa.gov/
********************************************************************

Science and technology
********************************************************************
Newsgroups:
    ia.org.eee	Electronic Educational Exchange - Technology for 
educators.
******************************************************************** 
Patent Search Service for U.S. Patents from 1972 to the present. There
is a charge for search services, but you can get some info free.
http://www.spo.eds.com/patent.html
******************************************************************** 
Wolfram Research, Inc., the developers of Mathematica, announce the 
new Wolfram Research web server site. Information on this server 
includes Mathematica products, related publications, graphics, sounds,
and more
http://www.wri.com/
******************************************************************** 
Elsevier Science, the scientific communications branch of Reed 
Elsevier
http://www.elsevier.nl/
******************************************************************** 
NSF (National Science Foundation) STIS (Science and Technology 
Information System) publications
gopher://stis.nsf.gov
******************************************************************** 
The USGS will offer a new, experimental Internet service - 
Ask-A-Geologist.  General questions on earth sciences may be sent by 
electronic mail to    [email-masked]    A 
geologist will reply within a day or two, or provide referrals to 
better sources of information. Include an Internet-accessible return 
address in the body of your message.
******************************************************************** 
USGS (U.S. Geological Survey)
gopher://bramble.er.usgs.gov
******************************************************************** 
The National Technical Information service (NTIS) FedWorld offers 
access to thousands of files across a wide range of subject areas.
telnet://fedworld.gov    or    telnet://192.239.92.201
ftp://ftp.fedworld.gov    or    ftp://192.239.92.205
In particular: select    NTIS Quick Bulletins    or    GateWay System:
List systems    and look for databases and systems that may fit your 
particular interests.
******************************************************************** 

General Internet resources
********************************************************************
Newsgroups:
    comp.infosystems.interpedia	The Internet Encyclopedia.
    comp.internet.net-happenings	Great source for new offerings
on the Internet
******************************************************************** 
Internet Roadmap Workshop lessons and files will be placed on the 
Univ. of Alabama's LISTSERV on 12/15/94. Send e-mail to    
[email-masked]    with the message INDEX ROADMAP    to get a 
list of files or the message    GET FILENAME FILETYPE     to get 
files. Excellent resource!!
******************************************************************** 
BBSs (bulletin board systems) on the Internet:  see a nice group of 
Telnet links to BBSs at Texas A&M.
gopher://gopher.tamu.edu
******************************************************************** 
The Internet Network Information Center (InterNIC) makes current 
documentation on the NSFNET available. The InterNIC has a wealth of 
documents on the Internet.
gopher://gopher.internic.net
ftp://is.internic.net    Type    anonymous    at the Login: prompt
http://www.internic.net/
******************************************************************** 
General Internet "For Your Information (FYI)" documents are available 
>from  the DDN Network Information Center as "Request For Comments 
(RFC)" files. To learn how to retrieve RFCs, send e-mail to    
[email-masked]     with the body of the message    
help: ways_to_get_rfcs    Also see the FTP site
ftp://in-notes/rfc-retrieval.txt
******************************************************************** 
For a list of dialup Internet service providers, send email to    
[email-masked]    with the message     Send PDIAL    More
information is also at
http://alumni.caltech.edu/~dank/isdn     High speed dialup access
http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/DataSources/WWW/Geographical.html    
******************************************************************** 
Boardwatch magazine is the largest magazine covering the internet and 
bulletin board systems and commercial online systems, plus a bunch of 
other stuff.
http://www.boardwatch.com
******************************************************************** 
The Scout Report: selected new and newly-discovered online resources, 
network news, and bits of net culture.To subscribe, send e-mail to    
[email-masked]    body    subscribe scout-report    Also:
http://www.internic.net/infoguide.html
gopher://is.internic.net   Choose  Information Services/Scout Report
******************************************************************** 
Online World Resources handbook: how to find information in WWW, WAIS 
data bases, gopher menus, Usenet, and file archives
http://login.eunet.no/cpresno/index.html
gopher://cosn.org	Select: Networking Information/Reference/The 
Online World
ftp://OAK.Oakland.Edu  Select: SimTel/msdos/info/online17.zip
ftp://ftp.ismennt.is Select:pub/online-books/online-world/online.txt
******************************************************************** 
The Internet Index is available on SilverPlatter's Home Page on our 
Web server.
http://www.silverplatter.com
******************************************************************** 

Miscellaneous
********************************************************************
The White House
http://www.whitehouse.gov/
******************************************************************** 
Nolo Press' self-help law center is on O'Reilly's Global Network 
Navigator (GNN.) Nolo Press is the premier publisher of self-help law 
books and software.
http://gnn.com/gnn/bus/nolo/
******************************************************************** 
Library of Congress
gopher://marvel.loc.gov
******************************************************************** 
Smithsonian Institution's Natural History Gopher
gopher://nmnhgoph.si.edu
******************************************************************** 
A collection of Civil War Letters from an Iowa soldier to his family 
and sweetheart
http://www.ucsc.edu/civil-war-letters/home.html
******************************************************************** 
How to Get Your Own Custom Made Gopher Space
gopher://gopher.oise.on.ca:70/00/new-items/construction
******************************************************************** 
The epitome of the independent record label, Windham Hill Records 
debuts its worldwide web server.
http://www.windham.com
********************************************************************