Subject: American Chestnut Foundation conference info (10/20 - 10/22/95)

From: [email-masked] (James VanBokkelen)
Date: 10 Oct 1995 13:10:19 -0400

Sorry I couldn't post this earlier, but here goes:

The American Chestnut Foundation (national) 12th annual meeting is
Friday, 10/20 through Sunday 10/22 at the Holiday Inn, Lacrosse WI.
Besides the presentations on work in progress on curing the Chestnut
Blight and restoring the species to the forests of North America, the
main attraction is a visit to the largest remaining stand of American
Chestnut trees, in West Salem WI.  Cost for the program is $65 for
members, $50 for 18 & under.  The brochure says that pre-registration
is required, with an October 6 deadline, but those interested might
want to call the ACF at 802-447-0110.  The hotel's number is
608-784-9500.

Through a regrettable scheduling problem, the New York State Chapter
of the ACF is also having its annual meeting the same weekend, Friday
10/20 through Sunday 10/22/95.  This is in Frost Valley, NY (not too
far from Big Indian, NY, in the Catskills), and features presentations
by people working on Chestnut genetics and preservation, and field
trips to see native Chestnut trees.  Dormitory housing & meals are
available at the Conference Center.  The organizers are willing to
accept late registrations - call them at 716-745-7772 if interested.

People with an interest in the restoration of the American Chestnut
tree would benefit a lot from attending either meeting; If you can't
attend but want to help the effort, you might wish to join the ACF or
one of its regional chapters:

The American Chestnut Foundation
469 Main St.
P.O. Box 4044
Bennington, VT  05201
802-447-0110

New York State Chapter
The American Chestnut Foundation
c/o Buffalo Museum of Science
1020 Humboldt Parkway
Buffalo, NY  14211
716-896-5200

Illinois Chapter
The American Chestnut Foundation
8A Dundee Quarter #305
Palatine, IL  60074
708-705-8669

Conneticut Chapter
The American Chestnut Foundation
c/o Univ. of Conn. Extension Service
P.O. Box 70
Haddam, CT  06438-0070
203-345-4511

Feel free to forward this information to others with an interest.

-- 
James B. VanBokkelen					Far Acres Farm
E-mail address that works: "[email-masked]"	South Hampton, NH