Subject: organic rsch. foundation (OFRF)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Feb 1995 00:15:03 -0000

This posting introduces the Organic Farming Research Foundation.  OFRF is a
national organization founded by and for organic farmers to fund on-farm
research of organic methods.  OFRF is now on-line (temporarily through the
AOL account of its newest staff member, but soon with its own internet
address).  Here is a copy of OFRF's Goals and Objectives.  Look for
successive postings regarding our grant-making program, our new policy
analysis project, our national survey of certified organic farmers, and other
activities.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

Mark Lipson,  OFRF Policy Program Coordinator
  
  ORGANIC FARMING RESEARCH FOUNDATION
   PO Box 440, Santa Cruz, CA 95061
   ph:408-426-6606; fax 408-426-6670; email <[email-masked]>
                                
                                             Statement of Goals

                                                 January 1995

                                                    Purpose

"To foster the improvement and widespread adoption of organic farming
practices."

                                                    Mission

1. To sponsor research related to organic farming.
2. To disseminate research results to organic farmers and to growers
interested in adopting 
   organic production systems.
3. To educate the public and decision-makers about organic farming issues.

                                               Long-Term Goals

1. Develop and periodically update a farm-directed research and education
agenda to    
   guide the Foundation's programs and influence the national debate on
agricultural    
   research priorities.
2. Establish and support ongoing grant-making programs and sponsored projects
to fulfill 
   the Foundation's research and education mission.
3. Promote interactions and cooperation among farmers, researchers, educators
and the  
   organic industry.
4. Play a leading role in the network of organic, sustainable and ecological
farming     
   research and education organizations.
5. Maintain an active Board of Directors with national representation and
recognition.
6. Build an endowment fund of six million dollars by 2003.
7. Participate in policy initiatives which support grower-directed, organic
on-farm research 
   programs.
8. Maintain a full-time, professional managerial and technical staff with a
centralized   
   office operation.

                                          1995 Goals and Objectives

A. Organizational Development
        
        1. Establish and implement formal endowment and gift giving program;
                 --clarify legal and tax protocol for various gifts to OFRF,
                 --develop and implement management criteria for each type of
activity,
                 --sponsor three major fundraising events in 1995,
                 --publish endowment brochure and begin $1,000,000 endowment
campaign.

        2. Cultivate Board and Staff excellence and continuity;
                 --develop and circulate board training package for new
members,
                 --identify useful workshops and seminars for staff and board
members, 
                 --maintain process for board self-evaluation including
possible board      
                   retreat,
                 --add half-time support staff and increase Program
Coordinator to three-             
                   quarter time,
                 --initiate development of technical program and add
technical program
                   staff,
                 --seat committee chairs and add new members,
                 --draft and approve each committee's 1995 goals and
objectives,
                 --implement strategic integrated planning by identifying
1996-1998 long
                   range goals and objectives,
                 --develop protocol to help support farmer initiated on-farm
research
                   projects.

B. Program Development

        1. Review and update OFRF's Research and Education priorities;
                 --implement National Research Policy Analysis Project,
                 --draft and begin work on 1995 National Organic Farmer's
Survey,
                 --investigate relationship between crop health and product
nutrition,
                 --review other research programs to maintain maximum
effectiveness in                
                   OFRF's grantmaking,
                 --explore alternative marketing innovations such as CSA's
and Co-ops,
                 --improve technical capabilities and follow-up monitoring of
OFRF funded
                   projects.

        2. Develop and expand Board-sponsored research and education
programs;
                 --publish a minimum of two Information Bulletin newsletters,
               
                 --sponsor three independently funded research and/or
education projects,
                 --sponsor second Business and Regulatory conference,
                 --investigate cost-effective techniques for organic farmers.
                 
        3. Expand competitive grant-making program for on-farm research and
education;
                 --solicit applications through announcements, events and
personal contacts,
                 --fund a maximum of $100,000 of research and education
projects in 1995.

        4. Establish appropriate communication systems with both conventional
and                    
           organic information networks;
                 --identify core network of peer organic agriculture
associations and       
                   institutions for on-going information exchange,
                 --maintain media, institutional and individual mailing
lists,
                 --participate in other conferences and symposia as
appropriate.

____________________________________________