Subject: Design With Water Mar 20-23

From: [email-masked] (Anthony Viers)
Date: 6 Mar 1995 12:30:56 GMT

DESIGN WITH WATER
A THREE DAY SYMPOSIUM
ON 
DESIGN, PLANNING, AND RESTORATION 
OF 
THE LAND WATER INTERFACE
SCHEDULE:
EVENT

Monday , March 20

GENERAL INFORMATION
This symposium is taking place on the campus of  Virginia Polytechnic
Institute and State University, and is cosponsored by the Omega chapter of
Signa Lambda Alpha and the American Society of Landscape Architects at
Virginia Tech.  Events are intended to provide educational opportunities
for students and professionals in êfields focusing on environmental
design, planning, engineering, restoration, and management.  Topics
êpresently scheduled include some of the latest research and practice in
planning and designing systems for:  Reducing Impacts on Aquatic
Environments; Riparian Restoration and Water Quality Enhancement; Wetland
Development and Reclamation; Alternative Stormwater Management and
Infiltration Techniques; Vegetated Wastewater Treatment; and Best
Management Practices, Design, Installation, Management and Assessment. 

Key Speakers:

Elizabeth A. Brabec
is president and founder of Land Ethics, Inc., is a registered landscape
architect, attorney, and land use planner.  Her background gives her a
balanced êunderstanding of the ecological, social and legal implications
of land planning and design.  Her specific expertise lies in the areas of
land conservation, historic preservation and resource conservation. 
Elizabeth has been nationally recognized for her efforts in land
conservation, notably coauthorship of the book Dealing with Change in the
Connecticut River Valley and her upcoming book on the economic
implications of resource conservation.

Scott Crafton
is Chief of the Division of Environmental Engineering at the Chesapeake
Bay Local Assistance Department.  He has been essential in establishing
Virginia's Erosion êand Sediment Control Regulations and has significant
background in site and community design guidelines for stormwater
management with the Virginia Soil and Water Conservation Commission.  As a
licensed landscape architect working for a public agency in the state of
Virginia, Scott has initiated many opportunities to emphasizes planning,
design, and management that are both economically feasible and
ecologically sustainable. 

Bruce K. Ferguson
has specialized in hydrology and environmental management for thirteen
years.  He has served as a consultant and expert witness for industry,
design firms, and all levels of governments on solutions to difficult
problems of runoff and sediment control, êstream rehabilitation, water
conservation, wetland enhancement, water shed planning, êand landscape
design in conjunction with hydrologic objectives.  Bruce is a licensed
êlandscape architect in Georgia and Pennsylvania.  He has written more
than 100 publications reflecting his research and experience in water
resources an urban development.  He is currently Professor of Landscape
Architecture and Director of the Master of Landscape Architecture Program
at the University of Georgia.  

Peter Kumble
is a principal of Land Ethics, Inc. working on ecological and historic
design and restoration.  Peter has worked and published extensively with
the restoration of the Anacostia River and the Metropolitan Washington
Council of Governments as an expert on the "watershed approach" for urban
stream restoration.  Peter's extensive research êand practice focuses on
innovative techniques used to reduce nonpoint source pollution, protecting
urban streams, and involving the public in the aquatic cleanup and
restoration process.  He is also a licensed landscape architect in the
state of Virginia.

Thomas R. Schueler
is Executive Director of the Center for Watershed Protection.  He has
written numerous publications under the Metropolitan Washington Council of
Governments reflecting his research and expertise in Current Assessment of
Urban Best êManagement Practices, Riparian and Watershed Restoration, and
Stormwater Wetland design.  His research and writing efforts have provided
much of the currently available information used by professionals in
Watershed Protection, Outreach, and Education.  Tom is in great demand
around the country as a lecturer, workshop leader, and expert consultant
in urban water protection issues.

GETTING TO CAMPUS
The campus is located in Blacksburg, about thirtyeight miles southwest of
Roanoke, VA.  To reach the campus from Interstate 81, take Exit 118
(Christiansburg) onto US Route 460 West.  Remain on 460 West to Blacksburg
and Virginia Tech.  Take the Virginia Tech Exit (314 East) off of US 460. 
A Large campus map with directions to the CEC and Architecture Annex is
located at this Tech entrance.

Woodrum Field in Roanoke, VA. is served by several airlines.  Blacksburg
Limousine Service Telephone (703) 951-3973 provides transportation between
the airport and campus.

FURTHER INFORMATION

For more program or registration information, please call Stuart Echols,
(703) 231-6863.
or e-mai    [email-masked]