Subject: Friday URLs: sustag and ag list servers

From: Misha <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 21:12:33 -0700

Howdy, all--

Kirsten Saylor wrote:

>I get requests for listserv (or email-lists)
>information quite often, and would like your help in
>collating those that fit within the lamplight of
>sustainable agriculture into a factsheet.  Searching
>the net is taking too long with too few hits.
>
>What I need is a name of the listserv and the host.
>Without those I'm sunk.  If you have subscription
>information that'd be great.  (you could just forward
>an email to me from the listserv you want to
>recommend)

I don't yet have my Windows Netscape bookmarks file installed on my 
Mac here at Misha-By-The-Sea, but I turned up the following on Alta 
Vista:

Agriculture discussion groups and mailing lists
http://www.oneglobe.com/agriculture/newslist.html

Ag mailing lists
http://georgia.ncl.ac.uk/IFS/AgLists.html

Truncate this URL to the host to find the author.

Mailing lists related to sustainable agriculture
http://www.vtt.co.jp/staff/ancha/maillists.html

Toggle off your cookies, or be prepared to click Cancel a lot (if you 
don't accept them, which I don't).

Agriculture discussion groups and mailing lists
http://www.farm.ie/links/discuss.html

Ontario Ministry of Ag Web links
http://www.gov.on.ca/OMAFRA/english/external_links/ruralink.htm

References to list servers are under the commodity areas.

This was a very quick search--ten minutes--so I'm sure there's more 
out there. I searched on the term "agriculture e-mail lists." I 
didn't try "agricultural" or "agricult?" or related wild cards.

"Agriculture e-mail" turned up 269 hits. I also didn't look for 
"alternative ag" or "regenerative ag" or commodity types by name or 
farm type (like "goat" or "small farm e-mail" or "small farm mailing 
list").

Memory tells me there is a fabulous collection of links and lists by 
someone in Cortland, NY, with categories of sustainable and 
alternative ag--Craig, are you there? Do you know what/who I mean? 
Someone at SUNY, if I am remembering correctly. Dang, not having 
one's bookmarks handy is like a dream of conducting the SF Symphony 
nekked.  ;^)

There are these resources for anyone searching for e-mail lists:

List of lists
http://www.ulv.edu/~acs/general/list.html

Links include the list search engines Liszt and CataList. They have 
more or less effectiveness depending on your search terms...but 
that's true for any bot.

See also

Publicly accessible mailing lists
http://www.neosoft.com/internet/paml/

A simple query on "agriculture" turned up about 20 hits. The limit of 
this engine is that people apparently have to submit their sites.

Of course, from the ranks of our own SANETtitude:

Intergarden
http://metalab.unc.edu/london/Gateway_to_Archives.html

Larry's done a lot of the work for all of us in selecting 
mailing/discussion lists and linking to subscription info.

And lastly but not leastly:

Sustainable Farming Connection Coffee Shop
http://metalab.unc.edu/farming-connection/forums.html

You didn't know Craig was into Java, eh???  :^)

Search tips for richer finds:

--Use AltaVista and follow their search protocols. Still the best 
search engine I've used. In the sense that it turns up more 
university, nonprofit, and governmental hits, in my experience, than 
other engines.

--Use singular instead of plural search terms. Searching on "mailing 
lists" will lead the engine to overlook hits on "mailing list." 
Software is very literal.

--Don't use commercial terms or Internet terms (like "listserv" or "listproc").

--Try searching on "e-mail" with and without the hyphen. Without the 
hyphen is gloppy English, or actually it's French: "email" is a 
French word for a particular enamelling technique. You wouldn't say 
Hbomb or Dday or Xcoordinate. But people will and do say "email," so 
might as well search on it.

--As for the neologism "edress" or "eddress," don't get me started.

I can think of some other places to look, but this is the 20-minute 
hit. My first Friday Afternoon SANET URL Hunt in California! Only now 
instead of doing whatever I used to do on Madison on a Friday...I get 
to walk on the beach, watch the sun set, and wonder why people would 
even think of surfing in 56-degree water.  %^>  With sharks in it.

peace
misha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Michele Gale-Sinex
Communications manager
Center for Integrated Ag Systems, UW-Madison
http://www.wisc.edu
UW voice mail:		608-262-8018
Home office:		415-504-6474 (504-MISH)
Home office fax:		Same as above, phone first for enabling
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This "telephone" has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered
as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to 
us. --Western Union internal memo, 1876. 

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg".  If you receive the digest format, use the command
"unsubscribe sanet-mg-digest".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".

All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail